Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 19, 2017, 12:38:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
How to choose a life partner Read here
Administrator: heartandwhole
Moderators: Meili, once removed
Member support team: DaddyBear77, Flourdust, Tattered Heart, Turkish, wendydarling, Woolspinner2000
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS
Pages: [1] 2 ... 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thyroid: Is there a link between BPD and thyroid disorders?  (Read 27215 times)
crazyhorse

« on: February 17, 2007, 06:24:55 PM »

I am curious about this possible connection between BPD and thyroid problems. Thyroid problems run in by BP stbxw's family. My wife has told me that she has a thyroid problem too but she is not currently on thyroid medication because she has been tested and it is now just within normal range.

She has been on Effexor for at least the two years that I have known her. She told me that the Effexor was for her thyroid condition. I never really believed this because Effexor is more commonly prescribed for depression. I suppose if there is a link between thyroid problems and BPD, her taking the Effexor could indirectly be connected to her thyroid condition.

Still, my wife refuses to take any responsibility for her behavior or our marital problems. If only her mind was open to some of this maybe we would not be getting divorced. We have been separated now for a month. I am afraid it is too late.  

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

stpmom
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 07:34:51 PM »

Some of what I have read on thyroid talks about carefull monitoring the thyroid when taking certain medications.  Try doing a serch on thyroid and Effexor maybe that answer your questions.
eve7
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 07:39:37 PM »

I have never heard of an anti-depressant used to treat hypothyroidism. Now, understand, I'm not saying that it's not possible or that it doesn't happen. Most thyroid drugs in the market are T3s, T4s, and T3/T4 combos (which I take). As a patient, I question "normal range" because different labs have different ranges that may or may not fit the needs of the patient. Plus, there's just so much information on the thyroid out there that most GPs and some endocrinologists just do not know.

Was your stbxwife pulled off her medication by a doctor or did she just stop taking it? If she was pulled off by a doctor, she might want to get a second opinion. So much affects the hormone production level of the thyroid such as diet, stress levels, activity, and the amount of sunlight. Also, there is a possible link between thyroid problems and bi-polar disorder. So, with that in mind, just think how much the thyroid can affect the brain when it comes to other disorders.
insearchofpeace

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 06:30:35 PM »

My ex BPDgf/lover was hypothyroid.  My T initially waved this off as  irrelevant to her behavior, but I did some digging and found  a few citations in the clinical literature showing evidence that this endocrine disorder in women (hypothyroidism is common in women) can overlap mental dysfunction in a number of cognitive domains. Im not saying that the results suggest hypo-T is a predictor of BPD specifically, but BPD is a complex pyschiatric disease and the neurochemistry isnt fully understood.

I mention this as something I found interesting and possible important when we consider the risk factors for BPD (at least in women).
JoannaK
DSA Recipient
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 07:09:27 PM »

It would be great if anyone with BPD had a full-fledged physical before they were psychologically evaluated.  But if the person is treated and is still hypothyroid, then the thyroid levels may be meaningless in terms of the BPD behavior.  Many, many, many people are low on thyroid hormones and they are not BPD. 

I have read something about this before, tomba.

Abigail

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 09:28:34 PM »

Our doctor has treated many individuals with BPD and he has found that a significant percentage have thyroid problems.  Another common problem is vitamin B12 deficiency.  My husband and daughter (who both have BPD) both take 1000 mg. of B12 as part of their treatment (their B12 levels were low).  I'm thinking that it might have been as many as one-third of those with BPD had thyroid problems as well, but I am not positive on that number.

My daugher had an overactive thyroid but my husband doesn't have any thyroid problems.  And as Joanna pointed out, many people have thyroid problems and are not BPD. 
ozzy

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »

Quote from "Sometimes I Act Crazy"

"It is also conceivable, of course, that congenital malformation produces the development disconnection, producing a subtly handicapped child whose comprimised coping skills frustrate caregivers"

My four month old son was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Some reading on the subject suggests heredity as a possible factor.

My udBPDw has a family history of mental illness, although diagnosis is not necessarily happening.

I am really starting to wonder if there is a link between thyroid function, thyroid stimulating hormone from the petuitary gland and BPD.

I know in congenital hypothyroidism brain function is the main concern and when untreated leads to what they used to call "cretinism"
ozzy

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 12:16:43 PM »

Just another note:

I have learned that screening for hypothyroidism in infants is a fairly new thing. Approx 30 years.

With that being a factor then is it not reasonable to assume that there are many people 30 years and older out there who may have been born with some level of hypothyroidism? And went untreated as a result? Perhaps minor underdevelopment of brain function?

My experiences all point to this as a possibility. But what do I know?
Abigail

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 01:53:14 PM »

Although I have not heard if there is an actual connection between the two, I do know that thyroid problems (whether hypo or hyper, I'm not sure) are fairly common in those that have BPD.  Our doctor has treated a lot of BPD patients and he has found that approximately one third of them have a thyroid problem as well.

Abigail
ozzy

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 02:16:25 PM »

Could the difference be that when it is "congenital hypothyroidism" there is an initial interruption in brain development. Something that happens in infancy. Hey 1 in 4000 infants. How does the math work out?

And consider the variances in the length of time before Thyrozine levels are stabalized.
Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD
My Parent/Sibling has BPD