Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
December 11, 2017, 05:27:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Administrator: heartandwhole
Moderators: Meili, once removed
Member support team: DaddyBear77, Flourdust, pearlsw, Tattered Heart, Turkish, wendydarling, Woolspinner2000
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Medications are used for BPD and what their side effects?  (Read 102688 times)
mr_anderson1

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 01:22:24 PM »

Mine takes topomax and it hasn't made her stupid or anything. Come to think of it, she is sleeping better. Her migrains have been reduced to one every 1 or 2 months. Both good and bad as I did enjoy the calm times when she's incapacitated. 8)

She has lost weight which has improved her mood immensly. I haven't noticed any change in her uBPD symptoms because of it, but she is working on them separately, without talking about it, by herself.  :smiley

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

HarvestJ

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 11:06:56 AM »

My BPDwife takes Topamax for migraines, and it has helped to reduce their frequency, duration, and intensity. Her doctor is a very observant, sometimes I think sneaky, health care provider. I wonder if he doesn't suspect BPD and thought the Topamax might have an added benefit of a mood regulator. If so, he's a smart man.
been there

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 04:01:02 PM »

I have taken Topomax for migraines. Seems to work really well, don't seem to be any crazier than before?
Yvette

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 03:48:10 AM »

The BPD in my life has decided to go off Paxil and is currently drug-free.  He's also decided to forego therapy, as "there's nothing wrong him - it's the rest of the world that doesn't know the difference between Right and Wrong as he does).

My question is, since he's off Paxil, was that really the wrong drug for him to be taking anyways?  He wasn't THAT great on Paxil, except that he didn't care about much and had less 'highs' and 'lows', for the most part.

I wanted to throw this Rx question out there if ever I am in a position to recommend something different to him or his doctor (unfortunately the medical attention he's received has been really lame and he's never taken seriously by medical personnel - he puts up a good front with them, I think).

Any suggestions or comments would really be appreciated!
gingie

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 08:42:39 AM »

This post reminds me of something that I learned last week in T.  I was telling my T how my exBP is supposedly now on a certain medication that was prescribed to him by his family doctor for depression/bipolar.  Hearing this had made me a little jumpy, why, I am not sure, being that I am not going to ever go back with him, but I can't lie, the thoughts of "What if this gets his mood regulated and he ends up being a pretty good guy",...you know..thoughts like that.

First, she shook her head and told me that family dr.s OFTEN have no idea what they are dealing with in terms of mental stability/personalities, and push the depression/bi polar dx too much without having any indepth look into the patient.  She then proceeded with this:

She, my T, sat there and held out both of her hands, palm face up, and then closed both to make closed fists.  One fist represented depression and the other fist represented personality.  She said that the medicine that he is on may help to subside his feelings of depression, but that it will not touch his personality.  He is who he is at his core.  That's really something to think about, or at least I think it is.
Peace4us
Retired Staff

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 09:55:30 AM »

Staff only

Going off meds without dr supervision I have heard is very dangerous, especially cold turkey.

None of us are medical professionals or in any capacity qualified to expense medical information.

I suggest you contact another medical practitioner who can help you here with qualified advice.

Good luck

Peace4us

There are two ways of spreading light, be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. E. Warton

Abigail

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 01:57:46 PM »

My husband had been on Paxil and Zoloft before he was diagnosed with BPD.  Once he was diagnosed, our doctor put him on Prozac (a higher dose is needed for BPD than what is normally used for depression) eventually building up to 80 mg. where he had the maximum benefit.  Studies have shown that Prozac works better than Zoloft in treating some of the borderline symptoms such as chronic anger and emptiness.  Both work equally well if one just has depression and nothing else.

He is also on a mood stablizier, Tegretol, medication for his comorbid ADHD and he has an as needed antipsychotic that he uses when he begins to feel overwhelmed, stressed or the beginning of dysphoria.  This medication regimen has worked very well for him. 

Going off Paxil cold turkey is not recommended as it can cause severe withdrawal side effects.

Abigail
Grace

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 09:11:02 PM »

My daughter was first prescribed paxil but had a terrible time with this drug - she had bad headaches and was having visual disturbances (she was seeing flashes of light and having blurred vision).  She was taken off the paxil and put on zoloft and was taking a low dosage for a couple of years.  Though the zoloft certainly didn't cure her illness, I thought her depression and anxiety were eased some.  The doctor had just raised her dosage of zoloft but unfortunately dd decided that she didn't need to be taking that anymore either and now she is taking no medication and having no therapy.  Time will tell, but I don't think her strategy is going to help her deal with her many issues.  I don't think she ever sleeps, either.  I have read, though, that prozac is the drug of choice for treating some of the symptoms that go along with BPD.

Grace

Ring of fire

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 11:49:39 PM »

ok..I gave The Eggshells book to 2 people..a friend and  a family member..Both of them said after raeding it they conclude that this disorder can be cured with medication..My correct understanding after reading that book and other books is that meds help with anxiety a bit but on tHE MOST  PART if one truly has BPD any cure wil takea good 8-10 years of intense therapy..I conclude that by specifically nothing those that write about their recovery,most notably A.J Mahari.How did we see 2 diffrent things from this book? So i was also accused (the BPD who has been diagnosed) that this forum is brainwashing me..I feel like I have never been so clear in my thinking..Thats how I feel..so of course I stuck up for all you guys..I had a really hard day.Hope yall had a better one!

"A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of ones heart.Chaff and grain,together.Knowing that the gentleness of hands will take and sift and keep what is worth keeping and blow the rest away"....
ktys1

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 02:08:31 AM »

AJ Mahari was treated before DBT was created, I believe... DBT is having great results and some people are better within a year if they are serious and comitted to the therapy.

google it...

Mostly, it is the determination of the patient to get through it and to get healed.

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD
My Parent/Sibling has BPD