Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 19, 2024, 02:44:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Poll
Question: Take the Pledge (check all that you can commit to).  
I understand that my SO has a mental illness (my partner did not create it). - 489 (10.8%)
I understand that our relationship problems are relationship problems (attributable to both of us). - 468 (10.3%)
I understand that our relationship problems affect others including our children. - 399 (8.8%)
I no longer wish to be a victim in my relationship. - 487 (10.7%)
I understand my role in the "cycle of conflict" - 411 (9.1%)
I understand that leadership and change on my part requires strength, commitment, patience, self-awareness - 491 (10.8%)
I understand that influencing change is about providing love, validation, structure and motivation, and diffusing conflict. - 457 (10.1%)
I will actively seek to understand BPD.  I understand that I have the capacity to support and lead my partner - but not to drive someone else's healing. - 485 (10.7%)
I welcome challenges from BPDFamily.com members, even when the question and challenge may be emotionally upsetting. - 485 (10.7%)
I accept the responsibility of knowing when to protect my children. - 361 (8%)
Total Voters: 508

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Take the Pledge  (Read 3181 times)
Skip
Site Director

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: May 23, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »

The Staying Board Pledge

Please take the pledge (check the items in the survey) and tell us you next near term goal.

For members who are in a relationship with someone who is suffering with Borderline Personality Disorder and who want to improve the quality and safety of the day to day family interactions as well as the long term growth of the family... .

• I understand that my SO has a mental illness that is characterized by unstable and intense interpersonal relationships. My partner did not create this disorder. Recovering from this disorder is a significant personal challenge as is recovering from any mental disorder.    

• I understand that our relationship problems are relationship problems - attributable to both of us.  We both have a role.

• I understand that our relationship problems affect others including our children who suffer when there is parental conflict in the house.

• I no longer wish to be a victim in my relationship. I want to begin to reclaim my emotional well being and lead my family to a healthier place.

• I understand that my role in the "cycle of conflict" is often explainable, even justifiable, but never productive. The same is true for my partners role.

• I understand that influencing change in my family dynamics is about providing love, validation, structure and motivation, and diffusing conflict, and I commit to fostering these practices in my family.

• I will actively seek to understand BPD and also other cofactors, such as chemical dependency and other mental illness or personality disorder issues, with a spirit of radical acceptance and to support and lead my partner.  I understand that I have the capacity to support and lead my partner - but not to drive someone else's healing - that is the personal journey of my partner.  

• I welcome straightforward questions and challenges from bpdfamily.com members, even when the question and challenge may be emotionally upsetting, because they are intended to help move me grow towards my relationship and personal goals.

• I accept the responsibility of knowing when to let go of the relationship to protect my children and other vulnerable people.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

kristy1981

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 01:35:25 PM »

Near term goal is to get into therapy for myself.
justMehere

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 01:59:40 PM »

Just bought Stop Walking on Eggshells and starting a journal/ work book.
KeepingPeace

Relationship status: broken up since June 2011

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 03:10:38 PM »

I'm working on radical acceptance, so I can have the commitment to love him and work on things even when it's hard.  As it is, my commitment to him seems to be as unstable as his mood><
united for now
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: separated

Talking about solutions create solutions

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 03:33:34 PM »

I commit to taking good.care of myself while also nurturing my bond with him 

Change your perceptions and you change your life.  Nothing changes without changes
Validation78

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 05:21:18 PM »

My near term goal is to learn how to validate my H's feelings.
Steph
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 05:40:33 PM »

I commit to continue to strive towards a healthy lifestyle and to continue to nurture my marriage and other relationships.

Nawledge

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 06:19:51 PM »

Current Goals =

Just received SWOE and started reading it.  My goal is to finish and put into place everything I learn.

Outside of that, my first short term goal is to stop invalidating Smiling (click to insert in post)
dados76

Relationship status: Living together for over a year

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 07:30:54 PM »

our household wrote guidelines... that i like real well... everybody had a hand in them... happy to share... theyre based on the 12 traditions from NA...

1. The common welfare of our family comes first, above individual wants or desires. Personal happiness and growth stems from unity and support as a family.

2. There is no overarching authority in the household. Each member has a voice, and a duty to serve the needs for the good of all. Decisions affecting the family as a whole are to be decided by reaching a group conscience.

3. Each member of our household is acceptable as they are.

4. Each member is autonomous, except for in matters that affect the family as a whole.

5. Our family has only one purpose. To love and care for one another by encouraging growth as individuals and as a whole.

6. As a whole, we do not endorse nor condemn, nor lend financial support to  any outside organization or ideology.

7. Members are encouraged to be self-supporting.

8. We are non-professional within our household. We each offer what we can from our experiences, free from obligation. When necessary, we may seek outside help.

9. We do not organize ourselves into one specific arrangement. At times we may each step into different roles in the interest of maintenance of our household.

10. We have no public opinion on outside issues as a whole, and do not participate in public controversy as a family.

11. Our public lives are based on openness rather than closed-mindedness. We are best served by respecting each other’s desires publicly as well as privately.

12. We place principles above personalities in all our interactions.

theres descriptions and more from all this stuff... that we wrote as a family... but id like to keep living that and working together as a family

MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 08:17:59 PM »

My continued goals are to:

keep noticing what is mine, and what is his... .and letting it be

continue to be aware of and stopping my tendancy to rescue, fix, and control others etc.,

continue to learn how to take care of myself... .not in the obvious ways... .I have always taken care of my own material needs, but noticing my own moods, reactions and feelings and practicing self soothing on my own... .being grateful if my partner is able to help, but not expecting or demanding he take care of my own feelings, moods, reactions etc.

continue to not engage in stupid destructive arguments... .just don't do it

eeyore

Relationship status: in a relationship

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 08:35:54 PM »

next near term goal:

Working on things I enjoy.  new skills (schooling), work, etc.  Not allowing myself to become so worked up over the chaos.
jardin

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 12:47:44 AM »

My near term goals are (1) to continue to improve the validation and communication skills in the areas that have historically been the most difficult for us and on her (self image especially), (2) to continue the de-enmeshment process by focusing my energy on things within my control and not those outside of it, including S's issues, problems, etc, and (3) to continue to encourage her to enjoy time with other people and friends, doing activities that she has expressed interest in, etc etc and to support her in those efforts.
irishsob

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 06:46:03 AM »

Next Goal: buy and read "The High Conflict Couple" and continue my growth and being responsible for my "side of the street". To learn more how I can lead and support my partner. To practice these principles in all my affairs.
needbpdhelp

Relationship status: living apart

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 05:10:21 PM »

Start a log book listing the good and bad experiences, with the goal being to increase the ratio of good vs. bad ones by reflecting on the things I did right - or wrong - to help create them.
Kifazes

Relationship status: Living together

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 05:09:52 AM »

My next near term goal is to go into therapy myself, and to read the book 'stop walking on eggshells'.
Katy-Did

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »

My BPDh and I share a common goal.    We want to nurture relationships/friendships with others.  We've struggled in this area for years.
peacebaby

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: Single

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 05:32:31 PM »

My first goal is to return to my childhood and grow up in Dados' house.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Otherwise, right now I'm working on sharing my feelings better and continuing to remember my feelings are mine and hers are hers.

Wanda

Relationship status: in second marriage for 20 years on valentines day

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 07:48:33 PM »

my goal always has been to work on myself and to learn as much as i can . remember my husband has this disease.   to stay strong and keep to my boundaries. 
Hovercow

Relationship status: Fiance, living together

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 08:59:19 AM »

My first goal is striving to improve my loved one's emotional and physical well being, and to be a stable emotional influence on her by: staying cool, calculated, logical, and grounded.

To do this I must be proactive about my own physical and mental health, but must not judge or criticize her in any way when things I can accomplish, are a very real and significant challenge for her.

I realize I don't have to like some of these traits, but they must be accepted in the same way that you understand you will get wet when standing in the rain.

argyle

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 12:40:41 PM »

Next goal, help my wBPD find treatment.

Next next goal, work on setting firm boundaries and a more structured home life.

Next next next goal, learn how to communicate with my wife when her twisted perceptions come up. (eg... .everyone is out to get me... .)
tcevans78

Relationship status: Living apart over a year.

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 11:33:01 AM »

My goal is to know myself more fully.  To learn to honor myself in my words and actions, and to carry that forward in my conversations and interactions with others.  My hope is that I work towards this, doing the items I checked in the pledge will become easier because the struggles of this relationship will be an aspect of my life - rather than it's focus.  This is my goal. 
Demeter1

Relationship status: Married for 13 years

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 07:55:59 PM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

I am working on using the "edit button" on my mouth to stop the cycle of conflict when my SO hits my defense buttons!  Dropping my ego and stepping outside my own feelings when he's raging helps to calm him down.  He then sees that I am trying to understand his side of the story.

I will, however, make it know to him that when he starts breaking or throwing things because someone isn't behaving the way he feels we should behave, our daughters and I will vacate the premises until he's gotten his temper under control.

I will also continue to nurture myself, get my college degree, get a good job, and become less financially dependent on him.  This will not only empower me, but help ease the stress caused by money problems.  One less thing to trigger his rage.

I am committed to work on our relationship to the best of my ability, however I will expect my needs to also be met.  When I need to speak up about an issue, I don't want to be afraid of him losing his temper because he doesn't like hearing what I have to say, whether it's about finances, our daughters, or anything else.  He needs to hold up his end of the deal, otherwise I may need to leave to escape the rage and protect our daughters.
newbie101

Relationship status: Dating

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 05:12:03 PM »

My Goal is to learn more about BPD... .how to vaildate... word choices... and what I can do to work on the dance of the push/pull and silence within our relationship... .I am also ordering the I hate you don't leave me and stop walking on EggShells fook.
SunniSmiles

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 01:35:29 PM »

I understand that my SO has a mental illness that is characterized by unstable and intense interpersonal relationships. My partner did not create this disorder. Recovering from this disorder is a significant personal challenge as is recovering from any mental disorder.  

I pledge to try to understand this disorder and help my hubby recover.

toomanyeggshells

Relationship status: Divorced from a non-BPD. I didn't know how good I had it.

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 08:38:24 AM »

My goals are to learn how to validate and have more patience with my uBPDbf because I know those things will make a world of difference in our relationship.  I bought SWOE months ago and have not yet opened it.  My goal is to read, read, read.

For myself personally, my goals are to keep taking care of myself and keep working to dis-enmesh (un-enmesh?) so I can still be me. 
Neverknow

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 05:33:39 PM »

Near term goal is to get into therapy for myself.

Just did that and was lucky enough to find a t who is treating some BPD patients.

My BPD wife and I are separated but I am getting so much insight into the disorder and her and my own actions that have made things worse than they had to be.
Easydoesitnow

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 04:13:44 AM »

I am willing to take the pledge.  I am not currently in my relationship but I commit to the pledge to working to bring the relationship to a healthy place for my uBPDbf, my children and I, whatever form that 'healthy place' may be.

My near term goal is to stop being a victim in my relationship. I want to begin to reclaim my emotional well being and lead my family to a healthier place.  I will start by stopping complaining about my partner in a victim-like way to others.
artman.1

Relationship status: Married, 47yrs

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 02:41:51 PM »

My priority at this time is to seriously work on my codependence, and hope to learn the language necessary to communicate in a mindfull way with my UBPDW.  I have not attempted to talk about BPD to her, however I have included her in my work on myself towards my Codependence.

Art
megocean

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 09:37:48 PM »

I pledge to be strong enough to not be a victim, to focus on and take care of myself when my SO is dysregulated, instead of wanting him to take care of me because I am distressed about his mood or behavior. I pledge to give him room!
wwjd2

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 12:15:20 AM »

My goal is to get mentally heathy, read, find a t for me and my kids
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest