Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 03:56:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
PSYCHOLOGY: Help us build this database.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COMPARISON: Antisocial Personality Disorder vs BPD  (Read 7029 times)
Abigail

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married for 26 years

« on: September 27, 2007, 03:38:24 PM »

Just read a fact sheet from NAMI that said the comorbidity of BPD with ASPD and with NPD is common. It still seems strange to me to have both BPD and ASPD but I guess it does happen.

Abigail

Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 03:45:20 PM »

Perspective and context.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

When asking differential questions about personality disorders or multiple personality disoredrs, it is important to ask yourself why you are asking the question and how you intend to use the information. Without this perspective and focus, the data may be overwhelming, confusing and misleading.  For example... .

~ if your child is not responding to therapy, it makes sense to look more carefully into the possibility that the wrong personality disorder was diagnosed or whether there are comorbid (multiple) personality disorders at play.

~ If you are trying to get along better with your wife, it's not as important to pinpoint the specific disorder or analyze the comorbidity as it is to recognize and fully understand the problem behaviors and how to constructively deal with them.  

~ If you are recovering from a failed relationship, the important thing is often to understand which behaviors were pathologic (mental illness) and which were just the normal run of the mill problems common to failing/failed relationships - there is often a bias to assign too much to the "pathology" and not enough to common relationship problems, or the issues we created by our own behaviors.

It's helps to know that the distinctions have, historically,  are not all that neat and tidy. In a 2008 study sing the DSM-IV criteria, co-morbidity with another personality disorder was very high at 74% (77% for men, 72% for women). This is one reason why there is controversy around the DSM-IV classifications of Personality Disorders - there is so much overlap it is confusing even to professionals.  In 2013, the DSM will redefine these disorders and people that do not neatly fall into one of 6 types/patterns, will be classified as Personality Disorder Trait Specified (with a trait profile based on the following criteria)

Under the Old DSM-IV Classifications

Comorbid w/BPD--------------

Paranoid

Schizoid

Schizotypal

Antisocial

Histrionic

Narcissistic

Avoidant

Dependent

OCD

More info
Men-----------

17%

11%

39%

19%

10%

47%

11%

2%

22%
Women-------

25%

14%

35%

9%

10%

32%

16%

4%

24%

Some helpful hints for sorting through this.

• General and Specific There are definitions for "personality disorder" as a category and then there are definitions for the subcategories (i.e., borderline, narcissistic, antisocial, etc.).  Start with the broader definition first.  Keep in mind that to be a personality disorder, symptoms have been present for an extended period of time, are inflexible and pervasive, and are not a result of alcohol or drugs or another psychiatric disorder - - the history of symptoms can be traced back to adolescence or at least early adulthood - - the symptoms have caused and continue to cause significant distress or negative consequences in different aspects of the person's life. Symptoms are seen in at least two of the following areas: thoughts (ways of looking at the world, thinking about self or others, and interacting), emotions (appropriateness, intensity, and range of emotional functioning), interpersonal functioning (relationships and interpersonal skills), or impulse control

• Spectrum Disorders  An extremely important aspect of understanding mental disorders is understanding that there is a spectrum of severity. A spectrum is comprised of relatively "severe" mental disorders as well as relatively "mild and nonclinical deficits".  Some people with BPD traits cannot work, are hospitalized or incarcerated, and even kill themselves.  On the other hand, some fall below the threshold for clinical diagnosis and are simply very immature and self centered and difficult in intimate relationships.

• Comorbidity Borderline patients often present for evaluation or treatment with one or more comorbid axis I disorders (e.g.,depression, anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, ADHD, autism spectrum disorders, anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa). It is not unusual for symptoms of these other disorders to mask the underlying borderline psychopathology, impeding accurate diagnosis and making treatment planning difficult. In some cases, it isn’t until treatment for other disorders fails that BPD is diagnosed.  Complicating this, additional axis I disorders may also develop over time.  Because of the frequency with which these clinically difficult situations occur, a substantial amount of research concerning the axis I comorbidity of borderline personality disorder has been conducted. A lot is based on small sample sizes so the numbers vary.  Be careful to look at the sample in any study -- comorbidity rates can differ significantly depending on whether the study population is treatment seeking individuals or random individuals in the community.  Also be aware that comorbidity rates  are generally lower in less severe cases of borderline personality disorder.

• Don't become an Amateur Psychologist or Neurosurgeon  While awareness is a very good thing, if one suspects a mental disorder in the family it is best to see a mental health professional for an informed opinion and for some direction - even more so if you are emotionally distressed yourself and not at the top of your game.  

I hope this helps keep it in perspective.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

Skippy

Additional discussions... .

Personality Disorders

Borderline and Paranoid Personality Disorder

Borderline and Schzoid/Schizotypal Personality Disorder

Borderline and Histrionic Personality Disorder

Borderline and Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Borderline and Avoidant Personality Disorder

Borderline and Dependent Personality Disorder

Borderline and Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder

Borderline and Depressive Personality Disorder

Borderline and Passive Aggressive Personality Disorder

Borderline and Sadistic Personality Disorder

Borderline and Self Defeating Personality Disorder

Other

Borderline PD and Alcohol Dependence

Borderline PD and Aspergers

Borderline PD and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Borderline PD and BiPolar Disorder

Borderline PD and Dissociative Identity Disorder

Borderline PD and P.T.S.D.

Borderline PD and Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD)

RCA212

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:10:49 AM »

I don't know much, so I was hoping that some of the more educated people on this board could shed some light on this - are BPD behavior and Sociopathic behavior similar at all?  What are the similarities and differences?  What specifically sets the two apart?  Can one person exhibit both? 
Auspicious
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 08:39:54 AM »

I don't know much, so I was hoping that some of the more educated people on this board could shed some light on this - are BPD behavior and Sociopathic behavior similar at all?  What are the similarities and differences?  What specifically sets the two apart?  Can one person exhibit both?  

By sociopathy, do you mean ASPD?

I would suggest looking at the descriptions and diagnostic criteria for both BPD and ASPD, to shed some light on your question. For now, I'll just borrow the shortest descriptions that I can crib from wikipedia

ASPD:

Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) is described by the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, fourth edition (DSM-IV-TR), as an Axis II personality disorder characterized by "... .a pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others that begins in childhood or early adolescence and continues into adulthood."

BPD:

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a personality disorder described as a prolonged disturbance of personality function in a person (generally over the age of eighteen years, although it is also found in adolescents), characterized by depth and variability of moods. The disorder typically involves unusual levels of instability in mood; black and white thinking, or splitting; the disorder often manifests itself in idealization and devaluation episodes, as well as chaotic and unstable interpersonal relationships, self-image, identity, and behavior; as well as a disturbance in the individual's sense of self. In extreme cases, this disturbance in the sense of self can lead to periods of dissociation.

In my completely unprofessional opinion, BPD can periodically mimic ASPD, in some ways, for some individuals. I think at those times the person with BPD can be so wrapped up in their own pain and distress that they temporarily cannot consider the rights of other people.

Have you read the Lessons?
Beach_Babe
Also known as FriedaB

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Single

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:59:09 AM »

Article taken from  www.sociopathicstyle.com/

1. GLIB and SUPERFICIAL CHARM -- the tendency to be smooth, engaging, charming, slick, and verbally facile. Sociopathic charm is not in the least shy, self-conscious, or afraid to say anything. A sociopath never gets tongue-tied. They have freed themselves from the social conventions about taking turns in talking, for example.

2. GRANDIOSE SELF-WORTH -- a grossly inflated view of one's abilities and self-worth, self-assured, opinionated, cocky, a braggart. Sociopaths are arrogant people who believe they are superior human beings.

3. NEED FOR STIMULATION or PRONENESS TO BOREDOM -- an excessive need for novel, thrilling, and exciting stimulation; taking chances and doing things that are risky. Sociopaths often have low self-discipline in carrying tasks through to completion because they get bored easily. They fail to work at the same job for any length of time, for example, or to finish tasks that they consider dull or routine.

4. PATHOLOGICAL LYING -- can be moderate or high; in moderate form, they will be shrewd, crafty, cunning, sly, and clever; in extreme form, they will be deceptive, deceitful, underhanded, unscrupulous, manipulative, and dishonest.

5. CONNING AND MANIPULATIVENESS - the use of deceit and deception to cheat, con, or defraud others for personal gain; distinguished from Item #4 in the degree to which exploitation and callous ruthlessness is present, as reflected in a lack of concern for the feelings and suffering of one's victims.

6. LACK OF REMORSE OR GUILT -- a lack of feelings or concern for the losses, pain, and suffering of victims; a tendency to be unconcerned, dispassionate, coldhearted, and un empathic. This item is usually demonstrated by a disdain for one's victims.

7. SHALLOW AFFECT -- emotional poverty or a limited range or depth of feelings; interpersonal coldness in spite of signs of open gregariousness.

8. CALLOUSNESS and LACK OF EMPATHY -- a lack of feelings toward people in general; cold, contemptuous, inconsiderate, and tactless.

9. PARASITIC LIFESTYLE -- an intentional, manipulative, selfish, and exploitative financial dependence on others as reflected in a lack of motivation, low self-discipline, and inability to begin or complete responsibilities.

10. POOR BEHAVIORAL CONTROLS -- expressions of irritability, annoyance, impatience, threats, aggression, and verbal abuse; inadequate control of anger and temper; acting hastily.

11. PROMISCUOUS SEXUAL BEHAVIOR -- a variety of brief, superficial relations, numerous affairs, and an indiscriminate selection of sexual partners; the maintenance of several relationships at the same time; a history of attempts to sexually coerce others into sexual activity or taking great pride at discussing sexual exploits or conquests.

12. EARLY BEHAVIOR PROBLEMS -- a variety of behaviors prior to age 13, including lying, theft, cheating, vandalism, bullying, sexual activity, fire-setting, glue-sniffing, alcohol use, and running away from home.

13. LACK OF REALISTIC, LONG-TERM GOALS -- an inability or persistent failure to develop and execute long-term plans and goals; a nomadic existence, aimless, lacking direction in life.

14. IMPULSIVITY -- the occurrence of behaviors that are unpremeditated and lack reflection or planning; inability to resist temptation, frustrations, and urges; a lack of deliberation without considering the consequences; foolhardy, rash, unpredictable, erratic, and reckless.

15. IRRESPONSIBILITY -- repeated failure to fulfill or honor obligations and commitments; such as not paying bills, defaulting on loans, performing sloppy work, being absent or late to work, failing to honor contractual agreements.

16. FAILURE TO ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR OWN ACTIONS -- a failure to accept responsibility for one's actions reflected in low conscientiousness, an absence of dutifulness, antagonistic manipulation, denial of responsibility, and an effort to manipulate others through this denial.

17. MANY SHORT-TERM MARITAL RELATIONSHIPS -- a lack of commitment to a long-term relationship reflected in inconsistent, undependable, and unreliable commitments in life, including marital.

18. JUVENILE DELINQUENCY -- behavior problems between the ages of 13-18; mostly behaviors that are crimes or clearly involve aspects of antagonism, exploitation, aggression, manipulation, or a callous, ruthless tough-mindedness.

19. REVOCATION OF CONDITION RELEASE -- a revocation of probation or other conditional release due to technical violations, such as carelessness, low deliberation, or failing to appear.

20. CRIMINAL VERSATILITY -- a diversity of types of criminal offenses, regardless if the person has been arrested or convicted for them; taking great pride at getting away with crimes.

Willy

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 05:22:27 AM »

A read a bit about it, but didn't find anywhere a good desciption of the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath. Does anybody have this info, or are the two terms more or less synonyms now?

Is a psycho more the planner and the socio more the impulsive one?
Beach_Babe
Also known as FriedaB

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »

From what I understand a psychopath is more genetically bred (nature), whereas a sociopathic development is due to environmental factors (nuture). I know they say BPD and ASPD cant exist together (as, technically they are opposites ASPDs lacking emotion and BPDs feeling it in extremes) however,  I beg to differ. My pwBPD was TEXTBOOK low functioning borderline, but at the same time much she genuinely enjoyed hurting people.

Willy

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 03:35:36 PM »

I know they say BPD and ASPD cant exist together (as, technically they are opposites ASPDs lacking emotion and BPDs feeling it in extremes) however,  I beg to differ

Yes, I have seen both too. The hypersensitivity and a complete lack of emotion. She could be like an insecure 'innocent' child and the next second as cold as ice and mean. Was the first a mask or another personality? I think the child was a part of her, but also a way of getting sympathy and a learned way of disguising her dark side. She could enjoy putting other people down, she had fantasies torturing people (yet had strong submissive BDSM tendencies) and had no respect whatsoever for other peoples property.
Lizzie

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 10:46:39 PM »

While I believe their is much overlapping between personality disorders and also since personality is fluid not static, that there are overlapping symptoms in Pds, I also think there's a big distinction between someone who is antisocial and someone who is BPd.  Sometimes people have the same symptom, say promiscuous sexual behavior, but the reasons behind the symptom can be very different.  I think the things underlying sociopathy are quite different than BPD.  BPDs have different defense mechanisms at work and different physiological happenings.  If I recall this correctly, aspd types have an underactive amygdala while BPDs have an overactive amygdala.

Unfortunately, I dated someone who showed typical symptomology of being antisocial, yet I found that relationship to be far less damaging than when I've dealt with BPDs.  I also found him to have a very different type of personality than pwBPD I've known.  He lacked the emotional turmoil of a BPD.  He was more calculating, not at all insecure, and while I've been on the receiving end of a lack of empathy from BPDs, the antisocial guy lacked empathy and a conscious on a whole different level.    B/c my experiences with BPDs have been so hurtful, it's easy for me to feel like they are horrible and lack all emapthy, but I have to admit they have more capability to feel and care than antisocials, I believe. 

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 05:19:50 PM »

Sociopaths charm.  Only people with a pleasurable ego are interested in charming ... .putting forth a fantastic image... .marking themselves as great. The "charmee" is then always put in a lower position in status. Charm is essentially a lie. And it's usually used to pull a fast one.

The Borderline isn't as self-assured.  Borderlines do not charm- they MIRROR. Because of this, they are often confused when mirroring is not enough- and the partner demands the real self to emerge. As the partner gets pulled into a persecutory role, the Borderline frantically back pedals and projects persecution to get out of the snafu. It is at that time that they show to you how they were treated as children, with victimization, persecution and rescuing behavior all on a transference triangle and projected outwardly as if to hurt and maim.  But it's unconscious behavior that is from a distorted perception or belief rather than an outright con.

If they mirror the right people, the counter-transference can be life affirming for them as a bondage persecution- but it's not done in order to get away with bad behavior like the Sociopath- it's done to prove themselves correct about their earliest and most primitive thoughts of bondage.

The partner of the Borderline often misunderstands and casts the Borderline in an anti-social (Sociopathic) role- as this is the easiest and simplest solution to split a person from good to bad and protect the Ego. In a protective ego split, the Borderline is justifiably evil- and has done horrible things on purpose- because deep down, they are bad people- flawed and evil.  But this is purely a defense mechanism of the partner.

When we judge Borderline behavior based on our own projected concept of good- and Borderline disorder usurps our concept of good, we take back the good- and put bad in it's place and it is this defense mechanism that allows us to remain safe by splitting the other party into bad.

sm15000

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 05:30:46 PM »

Excerpt
Sociopaths charm.  Only people with a pleasurable ego are interested in charming ... .putting forth a fantastic image... .marking themselves as great. The "charmee" is then always put in a lower position in status. Charm is essentially a lie. And it's usually used to pull a fast one

My exUBPDso charmed. . .do you think the narcissistic side associated with high functioning borderline males could do this?  There was another side to him of self-loathing and saying "he wasn't good enough for me" - would sociopaths/anti- social personalities do this?

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

ellil

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »

My exBPDbf was the most charming and handsome person I have ever seen. He charmed everyone... .especially women, wherever we went.

Yet, he had no friends. And he was WAY UNCOMFORTABLE whenever I complimented him on his looks or intelligence or charm. He also said many times he wasn't good enough for me, but narcissism would then peak through.

I believe he did learn something about his pd in therapy, but strangely he had zero friends.

As far as I know, sociopaths do not feel shame or guilt. The only identity my ex had was fundamentally shame, guilt and worthlessness. Such a waste of good.

M

Gowest

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 06:24:03 PM »

I like this one that tiredmommy posted: www.arkancide.com/psychopathy.htm It's clear and easy to understand. My ex scored a mere 14/40 - not a psychopath. But I knew he wasn't. All the things I ticked for him are the symptoms for BPD - irresponsible, poor behavior controls, lying all the time, etc.

My mother scores even lower.

I do have a real sociopath (imo) to compare them with. I think that helps. For example, if I didn't know this guy I might have given my ex 2 points for promiscuous sexual behavior. Ha. No. I still gave him 1 point, but compared to this guy my ex is a monk. (Or Hermit, more accurately.)

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 06:36:42 PM »

Borderlines are not anti-social, they have a tremendous desire to bond with people.  Borderlines fear being alone.  They suffer annihilation fantasies and quickly try to find relief in the rewarding attachment to others.  Their intense fear of being alone causes impulsive attachments- but these are very deeply felt as significant- at least until the attachment becomes persecutorial, which it always does.  This is the crux of the disorder.  The sociopath persecutes others and relishes in his anti-social nature.  The Borderline actually grieves a badly internalized parental persecution.

The (Aspd) sociopath uses every opportunity to screw up and then elicit pity from others- as game play.  He uses pity to win- and he uses others as disposable commodities after they come to his rescue. He knows he is doing wrong and understands that he may get into trouble as it is a part of the game- which has him already factoring in a story for *why he deserves the pity* for when he gets caught.   This is a conscious manipulation that places the Aspd in a one-upmanship.  This also implies he has a sense of himself as smarter than others.  He also feels no remorse because he feels this is his due.

Borderlines don't think they are better than you- they *are* you. They choose other people to define their sense of self.  They are chameleons for attachment survival- not as con jobs.

Whatever you choose to send out to the World to define you- is picked up on and then mirrored back to you by the Borderline - to get your approval- and to bond with you. A sociopath could care less who you are and only whether or not you can be used.  A Borderline actually looks up to you.

Borderlines will retreat into detached protector mode when they are caught in omissions of truth. The detached protector mode does not have a clear understanding of the reasons why the behaviors are unsuitable which generally creates avoidance and passive aggression as defensive styles. The Sociopath knows why the behaviors are unsuitable and takes pride in the knowing.

Consequently, your understanding of your relationship should conclude whether or not this person grew up with a thought process that appears to make them masters of manipulation, keenly trained at evoking a response from others by mirroring the projection.

Since Borderlines are part-time selves- they needed your good to fuse to. And that means that a Borderline will never see you as a whole person, a friend or an ally that can be trusted because they cannot form their own whole self to do so.  Apart from you- they can only flee from their all or none thinking and their bad split of you and re-create the bond with someone else who now represents good.  

Borderline is a repetitious, compulsive, seeking part time self with an inability to suffer through the necessary abandonment depression from their parent who is now badly internalized as a punitive taskmaster who shames them for their fragmented failure to be a "self" without clinging to others and subsequently, hating them.  Idea

In the conclusion of a Borderline relationship- you will be presented (in hindsight) with what was mirrored- and then realize that this was important enough (you projected this *firmly*) to be recognized by the Borderline (a person who survived their childhood by finding their parent's Achilles heel and with that knowledge manipulated (the parent) to give the Borderline what was needed for survival.)  Can this look like anti-social behavior? Only if the attachment bond doesn't exist- Sociopaths don't really get very far with healthy people.

Borderline is different from Aspd as it is a compulsion to acknowledge the deprived self and prove (once and for all) the possibility of a successful real self who is whole and able to be ALONE without others to attach to.  Unfortunately, their annihilation fantasies are too great and they cannot self soothe the abandonment depression- so the cycle starts all over again.

Sociopaths do not worry about being alone, in fact they relish it.

WalrusGumboot

Relationship status: My divorce was final in April, 2012.

Two years out and getting better all the time!

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 07:32:38 PM »

Can this look like anti-social behavior? Only if the attachment bond doesn't exist- Sociopaths don't really get very far with healthy people.

In other words, it is easier to detect a sociopath and to detach. It is a recurring theme here on this forum that those that choose to leave a borderline, including yours truly, have such a hard time getting over the relationship and questioning if the love was real or not. I still have this question. From what you are saying, it IS real, but only for the purpose of helping them define who they are at the time. Am I misunderstanding something?

"If your're going through hell, keep going..." Winston Churchill
Robhart

Relationship status: living apart

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 10:57:52 PM »

As a quick observation the sociopath is quite proud of their  manipulation and cruelty.

The BPD  will lie or distort their behaviors so as to look good and the other person involved  to appear as at fault.They never want to be seen as they  really are and lie to everyone including themselves to keep up the false  facade.
Willy

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 01:11:25 AM »

My ex scores very high on the sociopath checklist, still I don't see her as a sociopath. She was hypersensitive to everything and showed shame, self loath and so on. The external behavior of ASPD and BPD can be very similar, the internal emotions are very different. I also think my ex started to mirror a sociopath (her brother) during the r/s.
MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 12:43:55 PM »

In terms of the impact on me emotionally in the moment, the difference between ASPD or BPD probably didn't matter... .if it hurt or created a betrayal bond, it's not good, despite what his underlying motivation was.

However, overall, I hate thinking that he might have been ASPD and not BPD. I believe it was borderline w/ NPD.  If it were just straight up ASPD, and I think back on our history, that would make him a monster.

There was a movie out about 10 years ago called In The Company of Men. I don't remember all if it but the gist of it was, an attractive man tricked an attractive woman Into believing he was seriously courting her and had sincerely fallen in love with her. He did this purposefully for sport, and had another male buddy who was in on the whole thing. He did it for sport, out if boredom, for the sex, for the hell of it and the just cause he knew he could. The woman was attractive but somewhat socially shy due to a hearing loss. So, she had a slight disability that made her a bit vulnerable and he totally exploited her just for s__ts and grins. She believed he loved her, and then when it came out this had all been a huge ruse... .well to be honest I don't remember how it ended, the movie was so chilling to me when I saw it years ago I thing a blocked parts of it out.

That to me is the ultimate nightmare.

At times i really felt panicky that this is what went on between my ex and I. If he were pure aspd, this would be the kind of motivation behind his actions. Borderline may feel similarly, but the motivation would be quite different. I choose to believe it was much more borderline. I can't accept the alternative, and I would hope I could over five years know the difference between premeditated cruelty done for pure sport, and a very damaged person desperate to attach but not knowing how.

GravitysRainbow

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 08:30:52 PM »

Can this look like anti-social behavior? Only if the attachment bond doesn't exist- Sociopaths don't really get very far with healthy people.

In other words, it is easier to detect a sociopath and to detach. It is a recurring theme here on this forum that those that choose to leave a borderline, including yours truly, have such a hard time getting over the relationship and questioning if the love was real or not. I still have this question. From what you are saying, it IS real, but only for the purpose of helping them define who they are at the time. Am I misunderstanding something?

In another thread, MindfulJavaJoe has an excellent remark on the subject of whether they really loved us:

"My wife never loved me. She formed an attachment with me based on her needs ... .  pwBPD are intensely attached but this is not love as we understand it

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=160374.0

What we find in so many clinical overviews of the attachment process that is typical of pwBPD is precisely that, and using another person to try to create a self, attaching to human beings only to satisfy one's own deformed psychic needs isn't, in my opinion, anything we could call "love." I'm with MJJ; it's not real love as we understand it.

As you've perhaps seen in other accounts, "a Borderline will never see you as a whole person"; in a very literal sense, they are usually largely incapable of perceiving others as anything but objects for use in those various internal psychic machinations.

Intersubjectivity (hence, love) can, by definition, only occur between two _selves_; since pwBPD don't, in a sense, have a working self, they aren't capable of intersubjectivity. They can *need* you, quite desperately - but perhaps not unlike someone with a lung ailment needs an oxygen tank, or an amputee their prosthetic. Need doesn't equal love.

That persistent questioning of whether the love was real that can dog nons for an appreciable period of time post-detachment is, as you've seen, very common, and is a natural reaction to the surreal experience of involvement with a pwBPD. Particularly given how instantaneously so many of them go from gushing, hyperbolic "You're the love of my life!" to an absolute blank stare the second the relationship ends. (The 'love lightswitch' as it's sometimes referred to on the boards.)

Many people I've spoken with find accepting that their BPD ex didn't really love them to be one of the most painful hurdles in the recovery process, but others have expressed that once they realized the love was just an illusion, they experienced a freedom and a substantive advance toward full emotional detachment/release. I hope your own journey is going well  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
Beach_Babe
Also known as FriedaB

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 07:20:01 PM »

I also think my ex started to mirror a sociopath (her brother) during the r/s.

I never thought of that.

sadblueeyes

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 07:12:19 PM »

I 've been reading about sociopaths as my exBPDbf suggested his other girlfriend was one and he was angry at the time and projecting, so other than the fact that he is on medication for bipolar and he mentioned he was borderline recently, what is the difference between the 2?

I see him fitting many of the characteristics of a sociopath.

Beach_Babe
Also known as FriedaB

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 07:49:38 PM »

Are there any research studies regarding this ?

GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 02:15:01 PM »

Frieda,

You may try looking at a university library website.  One near you is convenient if you're really interested because you can pull articles and use their research resources for free.  There are professional journal search engines and specific professional journals in psychiatry and psychology where you can keyword search "Borderline personality" and "co-morbidity" and "anti-social".  

Another option is when you find one that's close, look in the references section for what articles and books the author used.  Then you can find those ones.  This is an easier way because the author has done much of the legwork.

Hope this helps,

GM

sheepdog

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 11:33:16 AM »

On another thread of mine I was discussing things my friend wBPD does and the word sociopath came up.  I had read this word in conjunction with BPD in an article a few months ago.

Back then, I thought, "Nah, not my friend... ."

Yesterday, just out of curiosity, I looked up sociopath.  What I found was kind of shocking.

Do people with BPD frequently or sometimes exhibit traits of a sociopath and vice versa?

Please know, I am not bashing people with BPD nor sociopaths, not trying to create drama, not looking for things, nothing like that.  I was just surprised by how very, very many similarities there were... .

Thanks!
Diggingforfire

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 11:42:47 AM »

The standard reply is that it's always a spectrum, and that certainly both can exist at the same time, but not everyone who is one is both, etc.

The idea of the unconcern for the feeling of others/lack of guilt that we find with sociopaths certainly seems like BPD, but the difference imho, is that BPD will feel that guilt/shame that a sociopath won't, but usually deal with those feelings in a complex and unhealthy way.
JimNelson89

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 08:23:14 PM »

Sheepdog

I don't think so.  They are kind of very different.  Sociopath on the new DSM is listed under anti-social personality disorder.

1.  Superficially glib (not hyper-sensitive).  Will sweet talk you to death.

2.  Conning and manipulative

3.  Pathological lying.  You can test this easily.

4.  Lacks empathy.  Literally views people as objects to be used for their benefit.

5.  Cannot hold down a job.  Males often found in prison.

6.  Typically has a slave or is trying to con someone into being their slave.  They keep the slave by using humiliation, picking someone with a very low self esteem.

I met one of these people before.  She finally revealed her true nature.
Steph
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »

Its the lack of empathy that is most striking... .

" If it suits me, its all good. If someone gets hurt, it doesnt matter because I want it... "

" If they are dumb enough to believe me, they deserve what they get"

" if her husband was any kind of a man, she wouldnt need me to sleep with her. He deserves what he gets"

etc etc...

And many DO hold down jobs... and many are in high end postions.

waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 09:06:40 PM »

Sociopaths generally I think are quite stable and consistent, with "their" logic always in control. BPD tend to be unstable, with outburst showing lack of control and respect for others at these times. They dont have a "big picture" just a mass of confusion. A BPDs "manipulation" is not necessarily as deliberate, it is more of a survival mechanism used to feed impulses, immediate gratification, and avoiding responsibility/blame. Sociopaths manipulations are far more deliberate and have long term aims

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
sheepdog

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 10:24:38 AM »

Sociopaths generally I think are quite stable and consistent, with "their" logic always in control. BPD tend to be unstable, with outburst showing lack of control and respect for others at these times. They dont have a "big picture" just a mass of confusion. A BPDs "manipulation" is not necessarily as deliberate, it is more of a survival mechanism used to feed impulses, immediate gratification, and avoiding responsibility/blame. Sociopaths manipulations are far more deliberate and have long term aims

That makes sense.  I can kind of see the difference now even though I still feel there are similarities between the two.
BDFriend

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 10:54:32 AM »

I can certainly see where there would be similarities between the two disorders.

I've done research to compare the two disorders and from what I've learned, the sociopath AND pwBPD intersect in the lack of empathy area of the brain.

Here's a thought provoking question: a sociopath can hurt an animal (or a person) and not think anything of it.  We know a pwBPD will hurt people, and exhibit no empathy whatsoever. But will a pwBPD hurt animals the same way a sociopath would?

My exBPDf had a pet sitting business as one of his many side jobs (since he couldn't hold down a full-time job).  I had to help him out a few times and when I went to pick up one of the dogs on his behalf, the owner's friend (owner was out of town) said, "I'm so glad it's you picking up Stella and not your (ex) friend."  "Why?", I asked.  (I already knew the answer but it was refreshing to hear someone else verbalize it)

"Because when ex picks up Stella, she shakes and doesn't want to go with him.  He has a hard time even getting her to the car. But when you come (it was only my second time picking her up!) she gets very excited and wags her tail and even barks when she sees YOU pull into the driveway."

That caused me to think.  And, then I thought about all of the other dogs he takes care of.  He HATED IT when the dogs HE CARED FOR loved me WAY MORE than they loved him.  He'd be the "caregiver" for the dog expecting to earn their attention, respect, and love.  When the dog(s) paid more attention to me, he didn't understand why.  Jealous rage would always occur.

I told him early on that being a dog (animal) lover and owner several times over, I have always treated my dogs as if they were children.  My two ten year old brothers are like my children and I love them as if they were.  He could never understand because dogs are just dogs.  (objectivity)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions