Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 04:41:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SSI  (Read 2566 times)
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

SSI
« on: June 30, 2012, 08:30:38 PM »

So did online adult disability report today - took about 5 hours then I slept on couch for 2 hours. DD was OK for me to do this - she did not want to read before I submitted - was able to quietly say my questions were enough. She gave me a big 'thumbs up' when I told her it was done and submitted. We have appointment at local SSA office on 7/11 to complete application. DD has been trying to get federal benefits since she was 18 and dropped out of school - 7 months pregnant in the teen-parent high school program. Her 3rd try at being a senior. Her SSI case is currently in federal court where her lawyer is suing the SSA to get her disability determined. This new application is for a benefit payable under my record - I have been on disability since 1992 for my bipolar disorder. Such a long ordeal for us - as an adult DD has been unable to speak clearly for herself - ie. in denial about her disability issues as part of her survival strategy. Problem is this does not build a good medical record for the SSA to use to support her claims. Only time will tell if things will be different this time.

In the past I have felt so much pain and suffering in reviewing her reports - started with her hospitalization at age 6 when bipolar was dx - added to the adhd that came at age 4. Left out the stuff from her preschool years - neuro testing, OT, PT testing. So hope SSA gets whole picture of the distress this young woman has been in her whole life, and that it is clearly shown in the records kept by professionals - medical and educational. I looked up all the current addresses and phone #'s for all these professionals to put on form.

This time I feel a sense of accomplishment. I can so clearly see all the unremitting effort and loving compassion I put into DD's life as her mom. I can read my notes to teachers, administrators, doctors -- see the books and articles and online support I searched and studied. I still carry so much of that wisdom with me today - I am amazed at how I have forgotten all the work that went into my life up to now.

Guess it is OK to accept with gratitude when others share their appreciation for wisdom that comes from my words. And I also am coming to know - to KNOW - that God's love is here too. He is inside and all around me every moment of every day. Helping me to be here for others in so many ways.

God have mercy on my soul, I have sinned as I am human. Fill me with your loving light to make me whole.

qcr

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
cfh

Relationship status: Married 30 + years and struggling under the strain

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:54:22 PM »

Hang in there... .they so often deny on the first or second go around!  This is their way of weeding people out.  But if you have the documents and doctors/schools reports then you will be fine.  You just have to keep at it. 

Most people give up (which in my opinion is just want SS wants).  Don't give up!  My pwBPD29 gets SSD and is now on Medicare.  What a relief that he has insurance!
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 11:48:58 PM »

DD has filed 2 times for SSI. The second one is at the last level of appeal - out of the SSA administrative level into the federal courts. We are suing SSA basically - or rather the lawyer is doing this for DD. This new application is for a different class of benefit, and includes more stuff from when she was a child. We will see how it goes.

She is 'high functioning' in that she does not pursue hospitalization or therapy - in fact resisting this will all her willfulness. She dropped out of meds. and counseling when she turned 15 and legally I could no longer force her to do these things. She has returned to taking her meds and seeing the pdoc to monitor this for about 2 years now. She seems to realize that it takes about 2 weeks off her meds (for her anxiety/panic disorder, not the CPD) and she is not longer able to manage at all. She ends up in the ER despite her resistance to this.

Thankfully she has just qualified for a new expanded medicaid program in our state for adults without children that are considered by the state to be disabled. Now for her to accept using it.

It certainly is a stressful process. Thanks for your support

qcr

vivekananda

Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 04:31:53 AM »

congratulations on your marathon effort, you should be pleased with yourself: a lifetime of dedication and devotion; and 5 hours filling out a horrible b*** form.

I do hope it works out for you. sometimes we just need a break eh?

Sending you and yours Cheers,

Vivek  
Thursday

Relationship status: married for one month (!)

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 06:00:33 AM »

Q-

I do so hope that this works out for your DD. Don't want to expectate for you but curious, should she recieve disability, will she be able to get her own place or do you think she will continue living with you?

Thinking of you on this hot, (and its just now 7am) and muggy July Sunday.

thursday
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »

Where oh where will DD live ;p   No way to know how this will turn out. I believe she will always live nearby and be here lots regardless. She does not want to 'be dependent' on us. First step is to get her some financial resources, and keep her friends from zapping them all away from her.

One step at a time please.

qcr

kellygirl601

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 09:08:07 AM »

Good Morning Hi!

My daughter's Dr. has encouraged her to apply for SSI. She received a letter notifying her of an appointment this week and to bring the person who will be assisting her with her SSI.  They also want proof of residence and income for the last 2 months.  She has no income,  not sure how you prove that.  If she does get approved,  does this mean she will get medical as well?  We are in Ohio.  I would appreciate any info!
cfh

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »

If she did have income she would have tax returns so that in itself can be proof.  Also I think they can verify it through the IRS.  If she is approved for SSI she will automatically go on Medicaid.  If they deny her don't panic. They deny so many the first time around so just apply again (a social security worker told me that). 

My ds is on SSD because he did have income from the gazillion jobs he worked and got fired from!

But if you are approved for SSD you don't get Medicare for another 29 months... .isn't that crazy?
kellygirl601

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 04:31:45 PM »

The letter said to bring the person who would be helping; and to bring bank info.n Doesn't that sound positive?  I figured if they were going to deny her they would have said so in that letter.  Do they get medical with SSI?
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 04:44:37 PM »

Kellygirl - has your D gone online to complete the "Adult Disability Report"? Did a case worker in the doc's office help her get the SSA appt. or did your D call them to set up this appt.?

I am helping my DD26 try to get SSI. She has never worked, so that will be the answer to that question. If she has any other assets or bank accounts, etc. she will need those most recent statements. SHe needs to have all the names and addresses, phones of all doctors, clinics, hospitals, medications, etc. All this info can be in entered on this online form. Please check out www.ssa.gov as they have a lot of information under the disability tab.

If she is denied be sure she applies for the appeal withing the 60 day time limit. And it may be helpful to get a case worker or disability lawyer to help with the appeal. I think the gov has 120 days to make the initial decision. The more info you can take to the appt. the faster. They will request all the medical records and work records etc. and then an agency with the state of Ohio will determine if she has a qualifying disability. At least that is how it works here in Colorado.

Once she is approved she will get medical through her state medicaid program right away. This is a great thing, and makes it worth the effort if she is willing to get therapy, etc. My DD got medicaid recently, without the SSI, through an expanded program in our state with some new funds from the fed. gov't. It is great - her prescriptions are now only $2. She still refuses to do therapy, but at least any other medical will be covered as well.

Good luck. Let us know how it is going.

qcr

kellygirl601

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 08:23:42 PM »

She already had SSI appt. She gave them all info-meds,  docs,  hospitalizations.  Then they sent forms for her docs and therapists to fill out.  That has all been done.  Since then we got letter asking her to come back with person who will help her with her SSI monies,  etc.   Also her banking info.  This makes me think it was approved.  She has been hospitalized 14+ times in the past 4 years.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
cfh

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 08:56:33 PM »

Kellygirl

Sound good so far.  She'll get approved and if you find that Medicaid doesn't cover enough you can buy a supplement to it.  I don't think it's very expensive.  But just to know they have health coverage us such a big deal!

mikmik

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 06:36:18 AM »

To all,

This is all such good information.  Thank you to all of those who have been through this proces for giving the info.  It is crucial.  My concern is if a "R" is elected president, will much of this aid be overturned/cut back/new standards placed on applicants on the federal level?  What are the State options for medical care?  Is the disablity income only based on a federal level?  I just see more and more options to help care for these pwBPD at some risk.  Guess in the end, a lot of folks just think it is up to the families to care for their own.

Kellygirl, I agree with you, it sounds like things are going in a positive direction, and that qcr let us know that meds are just $2 a month.  That is huge.  So huge.

My dd is not to this point yet, but I wonder if it is only a matter of time.  Guess we will have to deal with what the condition of SSI will be in the next ten years.

Keep us posted Kellygirl!

mikmik
cfh

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 06:53:20 AM »

FYI to all with pwBPD of any age.  I was told by a social worker when my son was 13 that we should apply for disability asap. We didn't because I guess I didn't want him labeled disabled but in hindsight I regret that decision.

Not only would he have received a monthly check to help with his care but we would have had additional insurance.   
kellygirl601

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 07:55:12 AM »

We were also told to do SSI when she was younger-she is now 19.  I'm satisfied with the decision not to do that.  She is on my insurance, that wasn't an issue.  The reason I'm doing this now is that she has tried and tried to do different things-college, work etc.  and was not able to manage.  I am hoping this will bring her more resources and hopefully a program that will help her work at least part time.  I think that is crucial.  I honestly don't know what to expect, but I am not comfortable with her being on the public's tab... .
cfh

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 10:38:55 AM »

For the truly disabled on SSI or SSD there are some wonderful programs and resources in place to help them learn skills, find housing, get job training. Most will never be able to work full time so the SSI or SSD is helpful. Many will never be able to live independently so they need the extra help.  It is helpful but it's certainly not enough money to live on without some kind of work or outside help from family.

My experience sitting in the Social Security Office was listening to one guy tell his friend that he was applying for his "fake back problem" because then he would be given vicodin which he could sell for a lot of money.  On the other side of the room was a young woman who I think had schizophrenia and her three young kids.

I don't know how it ended but I sure hope he was denied and she was accepted. 

Many are on the public's tab who don't deserve it but so many who truly need it are denied.

I wish we had started it earlier because we have become so financially depleted trying to get help for my son since he was about 4.  He would have had access to all those resources, early intervention and insurance.

kellygirl601

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 12:57:54 PM »

I underdstand.  My daughter has always been on my ins and has seen soo many docs and tried so many meds.  She was approved today.  They said she also qualifies for medical and a food card, but that was for her food only.  They said nothing about other programs that would help her.  Thankfully they made me the payee, but that just gives her something else to resent me for.  Not sure if I should do the food and medical thing... .

cfh

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »

Good news.  Now that she is approved you will start getting lots of information in the mail about resources and programs.  My ds is eligible for food stamps but we haven't done that yet also he can ride public transportation for half price but we haven't done that yet either. 

Though if he can become more independent he will need to take advantage of those benefits.

But the bigger benefits are that at some point in the future she can become eligible for supportive housing, case management, skills training. 

I am also my sons payee and sometimes he gets ticked off but I have to remind him that he needs to work on his money management skills first and that money is safer with me.  He'd have the whole month spent in a week!

He also tends to give away money to people if they tell him a sob story.  He's very gullible.

My son is 29 so he is off our insurance and I'm so thankful he has Medicare.

EmmaB

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 03:29:07 PM »

i am in the process for SSI right now. I was told to go online to fill out the application. I have already turned in app for healthcare.

Like you kellygirl, this goes totally against my grain. It's been very hard for me to accept, but you do what ya gotta do. Last month, I had to take my d18 to the emergency room for an overdose. The doctor had already been in and they were monitoring her then the nurse comes in to let me know her insurance was denied. Her dad and I are divorced and he is responsible for her medical coverage. I called him only to find out that because she dropped out of school in April he quit paying it. He didn't tell me! I had no clue! So now, she has a huge hospital bill. I called my local family service office and was encouraged to apply for the healthcare for kids and was approved with a very small premium but I didn't qualify for  them to go back 3 months on medical bills. So now, the caseworker had me apply for health insurance for disabled and I am hoping and praying that it will be approved for the retroactive 3 months on medical bills. I've let the hospital know all this so at least they are not blowing up my phone wanting money from her that she doesn't have. Hated to do it but I made sure that bill was not in my name.

In the midst of all of this, my d18 was prescribed abilify and we went to fill it yesterday afternoon only to find out the premium collection place did not receive my payment that I sent back on June 19! I'm sure most of you know how expensive this medication is... .I liked to have died! Can you say STICKER SHOCK  boys and girls!  To say the least, we did not have the scrip filled and I called the psych's office today to let them know about the situation. I think they are going to help out with the meds until I get this mess straightened out.

I think I'm going to write to the company that makes abilify. Even if you have $800 for a month's worth it's still ridiculous. And what makes it worse, you don't even know if it's going to work.

We were having such a decent day yesterday and then that happened. I was so frustrated.

Sorry I took over the thread a little ... .I got on a roll and couldn't stop   
Forgetmenot

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 04:04:06 PM »

My daughters psyche recommended today that I apply for SSI/DBL for her.  We have good insurance and she will be covered until she is 29.  Can she still keep the good insurance plan she has with us?
cfh

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 04:27:10 PM »

forgetmenot

Yes she can keep it and medicare or medicaid will be her secondary.  EmmaB  you are not responsible for her bills and if she cannot pay it call the billing office and tell them that she is disabled and unable to pay.  They will most likely reduce the bill significantly.

I had to do this many times with my son who was uninsured and used the ER as his doctor.  We were not financially in a position to pay his bills (we've just run out... .it's been going on too long). The hospital always works something out. 

Once my son was in a psych unit for 2 weeks and they sent us a bill for $25,000.  He had no insurance and was not our dependent.  They reduced it to $210. 

This country must do something to help the mentally ill get affordable care!  It's disgraceful. 

kellygirl601

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 07:05:55 PM »

FYI-My daughter was on a med that helped tremendously. It was so expensive I went to the website and just told them my whole story!  They sent me a years supply in no time.
peaceplease

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 10:33:41 PM »

It is better to apply for SSI by age 22.  If they are found disabled, they will be able to collect from parent's SS.  My brother was found disabled at age 22.  He collects from my late dad's SS account.  He makes a decent amount on monthly basis. 

My dd is thinking about applying for SSI.  She is 28.  She has many strikes against her in employment area.  She does not have a clean criminal background.  What she really wants to do is in healthcare.  She is in process of trying to get a pardon for her past charges.  She has been very edgy, lately, from stressing about all of this.  Unfortunately, she has not been able to keep a job for long term. 

If approved for SSI, your dd will qualify for medicaid.  If SSDI, she will qualify for medicare after two years.  I believe that meanwhile, she will qualify for medicaid. 
Forgetmenot

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 03:13:56 AM »

This is all new to me with SSI.  If my daughter gets SSI will it make her less likely to be motivated to work?  Does it send a bad message to her or does it help by taking some pressure off of her?  What happens to child support payments.  She is almost 18.  New York State.  She would need to work somewhere that they can help her with her mood issues.  Right now we can't even talk to her about working.  She wanted a job that was 15 miles away.  There are hundreds of places to work within a one mile radius.  Since we wouldn't drive her to the distant job, she refuses to even look and tells people that  won't let her get  job.
mikmik

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 05:59:54 AM »

DD's T brought up disability a week ago, and that threw her into a controlled rage.  She does not want that lable enough to almost loose it in T's office.  Then she was depressed that the T even thought she was a "Lost Cause".  Tricky situation.  DD is now so concerned about leaving the home (when she knows she has an appointment) she can't sleep the night before and gets even more dysregualted.  She can't attend college at this point.  What do I do, wait?  She is almost 19.

Kellygirl,

Please, what med helped your dd?  We are in search of something that will work for dd.  What has not worked?  Zoloft, Abilify, Wellburtrin, Geodon, Adderall, Lexapro, Lamictal, Ritalin, Vivance, Concerta... .  Scary that none of this worked for her.

Have to go to a special Fire Department House to have them dispose of all the pills that we have accumulated that just don't work.  Hundreds of dollars... .

Mikmik

Forgetmenot

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 07:22:21 AM »

No meds have helped my child so far.  But at this point she refuses to take any so it's a moot point.  The meds for her would be for the bipolar.  I finally asked my doctor for something for my nerves and something to sleep.  If I am rested, then I can handle things better.
EmmaB

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 10:16:13 AM »

FYI-My daughter was on a med that helped tremendously. It was so expensive I went to the website and just told them my whole story!  They sent me a years supply in no time.

What med was it if I'm not being too nosey
Forgetmenot

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 11:07:03 AM »

Just some mild xanax.  It takes that edge of fear and panic out of my chest when things get to be too much.

I'm a strong person and it was hard for me to ask for medicine.  But it's the constant stress that was starting me make me feel sick.  I have good coping methods and all that.  But this thing with my daughter is something I never could have imagined.

And since it is invisible to my family, I get little support.
kellygirl601

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »

Since my daughter was approved for SSI, they told us she qualifies for medical and food stamps.  She does have to sign up, it doesn't automatically happen.  The sooner your docs fill out paperwork,  the sooner the decision comes.  My daughter first saw therapists in 4th grade.  She graduated in 2011 which was huge.  She tried to go away to school (wanting to be like everyone else).  It was close by,  but did not work.  She has been on zoloft,  paxil,  saphris, abilify, prozac, trileptal... .Im sure there are others.  She is currently on lamictal,  zyprexa, and an anti anxiety.  Kids change so much at this age its hard to find what works.  And what works now may not in 6 mos.  This has been my experience. 

Forgetmenot

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »

Awesome to graduate from high school!

That required a lot of work and a lot of support.  Must have been a huge relief.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest