Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 07:05:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I've had a lot of success implementing validation and SET  (Read 774 times)
ZigZiglar

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married, living apart for now

« on: January 02, 2013, 03:54:34 PM »

I've had a lot of success implementing validation and SET techniques via written media (mostly text messaging), but despite my every effort to keep it subtle and not too out of character, whenever I do so verbally, (especially if she's already in a defensive/offensive posture), I get told to stop trying to be Dr Phil (in less kind ways).

I am doing reasonably well and things have improved a lot - the last time my wife had a tantrum was two weeks ago now (which is a milestone in itself). However, I'd like to be better prepared for the next time. I have already told her that she is right that she has detected a change in character and that the changes represent an effort I'm making to be more understanding and supportive, but the Dr Phil line always seems comes back as though that conversation never took place. Any ideas?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

briefcase
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married 18 years, together 20 years, still living together

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 04:27:18 PM »

It's good to hear you are seeing some progress!  Keep practicing.  Here are a couple of thoughts.  It can be hard to "hear" the tone of written communication, especially email and text.  So, the fact that she's responding well to your written communication suggests she may be reading a positive tone into what you are saying--which is very good news!

Mastering these skills in real time, face-to-face, is hard to do, especially if you have a history of communicating in a different way.  First, validation and even SET can come across as a little forced.  We are concentrating on the formula and our real life "tone" can become a little flat as we focus on the structure.  Some things are just plain hard to validate or say and we fumble a bit as we learn a new "language." This can sound "patronizing" of like ":)r. Phil" to our partners who are wondering wth we are doing.  

You can actually validate that, "Yeah, I'm working on communicating differently."

Finally, I always urge people to search their feelings and motives as they try these skills.  Often times, if we look, we can see some anger, frustration, or apathy behind some of our communication.  Even though we are "trying" by using the tools.  Our partners can pick out these latent feelings much faster than we can!  Not saying you are doing this, but its always good to examine our own end of these things.  

Practice makes perfect.  Two things will happen as you stick with this.  First, you'll get better at this and it will feel and sound more natural.  Second, your partner will get used to your new communication style and begin to accept it as more normal.  

These things take time!  Sounds like you are doing great!

cartman1

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 04:50:37 PM »

Dr Phil, that's not too bad, the First time I tried using S.E.T. I got told I sounded like Hannibal Lector.   

When we where talking and I could she her get annoyed or frustrated I started asking "How do you feel?" and I got looked at like I'd lost the plot. I kept at it though and I found within a month my wife just started telling me how she felt. Then I will say "right, how about we do it like this... .  " or something like that. I always put a 'we' in or a 'you' because I don't want to fix everything for her.
ZigZiglar

Relationship status: Married, living apart for now

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »

Thank you for your replies. I suppose it could be something in my tone or body language or perhaps the fact that I'm reserving validating techniques for times when things are already a bit edgy. I'll try and work on self-awareness and practice in less volatile circumstances.

I'm a very calm, pragmatic and logical person who is often accused of being emotionless, which is obviously untrue, but given my flat communication style, being emotive and validating will easily come across as phoney behavior, so it's going to be a challenge.

Cheers
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 05:38:54 AM »

Writing is an excellent exercise to learn. It uses different brain muscles than reading. That is also one reason posting is so important and not just reading the boards.

PwBPD are often highly perceptive and sensitive. They tend to notice change in tone. Denial when it gets brought up would be invalidating. So having some short validating sentence like

You can actually validate that, "Yeah, I'm working on communicating differently."

can be wise. And then without diving deeper back to the topic at hand... .  

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest