Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 12:19:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: triggers  (Read 394 times)
ambi

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: March 01, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »

Over the last few weeks, I've had some contact with pwBPD.  It's been interesting seeing it from a different perspective and having some insights thanks to bpdfamily.com.   

A few weeks ago, he asked if he could drop by.  I agreed and he came by just for a few minutes.  I walked him out and he said he wished we could still talk to each other sometimes.  I said we could.  He said, "Great.  I'll go away."   Did he know what he'd just said or not?  He says he is aware of what he said.  He needed to change the subject - needed to distance because we might get closer if we talked.   Idea 

It's such a dichotomy.  He loves me enough to have to leave me.  If he didn't love me, he could stay.  The love is scary for him and scary at a level I don't quite understand.  He wasn't abandoning me all those times.  He was self protecting because the love makes him dysregulate.

I can't be with someone I have to parse out love to.  That just wouldn't work with who I am.  It's also why I trigger the heck out of him. 

So, we're talking every few weeks about books or the weather.  It's not unpleasant.  It's not something I could build a r/s on.  I'm not even sure I'd consider us friends.  But, it's rather nice to be able to say hi now and then and not have to lug all that anger around with me. 
glacier_glider
AKA "Uncomfortably Numb"

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 06:48:48 PM »

Sounds totally impossible in my situation.
lost007

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:52:20 PM »

Hey Ambi. Interesting. I'm actually attempting no contact. Almost through first day today. My stbexw BPD still wants me back. She had our divorce continued by firing a lawyer and hiring a new one. She desparately wants me in her life. I just can't have a r/s with her as I am too angry and bitter right now. Even if I wasn't she takes every kind word as evidence that I may want her back. I would love to have a r/s with her even after divorce if it were possible. I just don't think in my case it is. I would be curious to see how it works out for you as it progresses. Keep a jaundiced eye open.  
Ruthy2

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 04:22:48 AM »

This sounds the same as my ex, he has recently broken up with me because he can't handle the way the relationship makes him feel, so he has decided he is not ready for one at all and now wants to remain friends.

His contact is sporadic though (always is) I'm working on getting stronger so I can handle the situation.
Clearmind
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 05:09:05 AM »

ambi, its a good thing you can have contact - it means you are working on your coping skills rather than avoiding him via no contact Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

No contact is a way for us to detach in the short term however it is not a lifestyle - long term NC is actually just another form of avoidance and does little to help us develop our coping skills.

I never went NC with my ex - what helped me was to put some thought into what I wanted in a r/s and what I wanted in a friendship - he couldn't provide me with what I needed in either - if I see him - fine - if I don't - fine.

We need to get to a stage where seeing them has no impact - I don't care either way.

real lady

Relationship status: Living together, engaged but had been VERY ROCKY from Nov. 2011 to August 2012...evening out now...I am in counseling!!

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 06:07:24 AM »

It's such a dichotomy.  He loves me enough to have to leave me.  If he didn't love me, he could stay.  The love is scary for him and scary at a level I don't quite understand.  He wasn't abandoning me all those times.  He was self protecting because the love makes him dysregulate.

I REALLY understand ((ambi)) SCARED to have us (fear of intimacy), SCARED to let go (fear of abandonment)... .  it is NO way to have any kind of friendship... .  that is just how I feel with my uBPDso... .  he seems to be "happy" that I am planning on leaving but I suspect the moment I walk out the door (and FOREVER) that he will plead for me to stay... .  

Excerpt
I can't be with someone I have to parse out love to.  That just wouldn't work with who I am.  It's also why I trigger the heck out of him.

I don't feel like I can trust him to be my friend either. Seems like the "relationship" is still the ONE SIDED ONE but without the anger/angst of "trying to make it work"... .  

Excerpt
So, we're talking every few weeks about books or the weather.  It's not unpleasant.  It's not something I could build a r/s on.  I'm not even sure I'd consider us friends.  But, it's rather nice to be able to say hi now and then and not have to lug all that anger around with me. 

I know when I move out I am NOT WILLING to give him this "comfort"... .  my uBPDso will have to deal with the consequences of his mental illness as I will NOT be his friend and NOT placate and "play along" as if I were... .  no... .  that's not for me at all. He can either WORK on getting well WITH me or he will, if ever, do it alone... .  without me. I am the one who is "black or white" on this... .  

Sounds to me that he is "happy" controlling you; being able to see you when HE wants to see you... .  again, BPD is NOT about us... .  it has NO compassion or empathy and we end up, if we allow it, being USED. I say NO to that for myself. Wishing you well... .  

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest