Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 05:29:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wouldn't have made a difference  (Read 358 times)
mtmc01

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: April 11, 2013, 04:39:36 PM »

I know that I did not do everything I could have in the R/S. I became very codependent, controlling, stubborn, and distant the last several weeks after her final drunken episode. However, what I am now realizing is that even if I'd done everything "right", it only would have been prolonging the inevitable. Her issues weren't going to magically go away. She would have struggled massively if we'd gotten married in May and she followed through in moving across the country with me away from her codependent mother. This was always going to happen, and I suppose I should be thankful in a sense that she painted me black and cut off contact and jumped immediately to a new guy before we got married or had kids.
mango_flower

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 07:52:04 PM »

Thank you for this - I needed to hear it.  We had a similar relationship ending to you - I know I distanced myself after she started "acting out".  It is nice to hear it reiterated that I could never have made this work, it was only delaying the inevitable. Smiling (click to insert in post)

somethingtolose

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 08:08:18 PM »

She would have struggled massively if we'd gotten married in May and she followed through in moving across the country with me away from her codependent mother. This was always going to happen, and I suppose I should be thankful in a sense that she painted me black and cut off contact and jumped immediately to a new guy before we got married or had kids.

Yep. I didn't know she had BPD, so I was playing the "what if" game for years. At the time, I thought she treated me in the most brutal way possible. But then you read the stories of the protracted struggles and it's staggering what some people have been through.

But the truth is, treating me so poorly might have been the most humane thing that she could have done. She hurt me so badly (and violated my inherent sense of morality so completely) that when she tried to contact me again a year later, there was no chance of starting it all over again.

Had she not waited so long, I probably would have done anything to be with her.
jaird

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 08:18:20 PM »

She would have struggled massively if we'd gotten married in May and she followed through in moving across the country with me away from her codependent mother. This was always going to happen, and I suppose I should be thankful in a sense that she painted me black and cut off contact and jumped immediately to a new guy before we got married or had kids.

Yep. I didn't know she had BPD, so I was playing the "what if" game for years. At the time, I thought she treated me in the most brutal way possible. But then you read the stories of the protracted struggles and it's staggering what some people have been through.

But the truth is, treating me so poorly might have been the most humane thing that she could have done. She hurt me so badly (and violated my inherent sense of morality so completely) that when she tried to contact me again a year later, there was no chance of starting it all over again.

Had she not waited so long, I probably would have done anything to be with her.

Great point. And my ex made me realize how good a partner another healthy person is. It's like you have to see the bottom to appreciate the good in others.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest