Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 05:31:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: he flipped into a rage and has taken everything and left  (Read 1261 times)
blackorchid

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 01, 2013, 02:36:42 AM »

Hi

since I joined this group last year things my nBPD boyfriend have been great.  I have really taken on board the lessons and advise and he has not had a major episode for 9 months ( before they were almost every 3)

But on saturday he had a massive episode triggered by nothing that I can understand.we have been together for  8 years and have been living together for 1 year.  The contract on our apartment is due to run out at the end of the month and so we have been searching for a new one.

I woke up earlier than him on Saturday and was looking online at apartments.  He woke up and flipped out.  Why am I looking at them? Im so stupid... . I dont know yet if Im staying at my current school or moving (ım a teacher) so why would I be so dumb to look now.  Then he dragged into the  argument that hes not happy that Im going home to my mums house for a week or so.  At which point I know I did the wrong thing: I reacted.  But Im going through an incredibly tough time at the moment.  My uncle passed away on the 19th June. Im going home for the funeral tomorrow.  Thats the 3rd funeral in 2.5 months.  My uncle died in april, my gran died on June 1st.  All on my dads side.  My dad died 2 years ago.  so that was an incredibly raw note and I lost  control of the situation.

I left the room for a few hours. I came back and calmly asked him if we could go out for a coffee or somewhere else to talk.  I find that thats more calming for him to talk outside of our normal environment. He refused shouting again.  His 2 cousins were staying with us for a week and I think that has escalated the situation as I couldnt do the normal techniques.  I left the room.  I then went for a walk and got out of the house for a few hours.  

When I came back he was all dressed for a night out.  I asked where he was going.  he wouldnt answer. All he would tell me is that he has called the landlady and we are moving out on Monday at 12.00  I agaşn got angry (wrong I know) asked where am I supposed to live.  He said thats my problem hes moving back with his mum.  I have moved countries to be with him.

He didnt get back in till the next morning and went straight to bed in the spare room with his cousin.  When he woke up he was still in his episode. Shouting asking me why I havent packed. I told him that I have spoke to the landlady and  I am finishing our contract.  This made him worse.  I left the house.  When I came back an hour and a half later he and his cousins had packed everything up.  He left.  He kissed  our dog told her sorry and that he loves her.  Told me this is all my fault and tomorrow I will understand how wrong I have been and he left.

I have had NC since and Im at my wits end. I fly home in 11hours

any one please give me some advice
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

zaqsert

Relationship status: Married, starting divorce process

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:13:16 AM »

Hi blackorchid,

I am so sorry you're going through all of that.  I can only imagine it must be tough dealing with your boyfriend's episode on top of the recent and upcoming funerals.  I am sorry to hear about your uncles and gran.

In my opinion, the most important thing right now is for you to take care of yourself.  It seems very unlikely that you will be able to get through to your boyfriend right now.  So, as hard as it may feel, this seems to be a time to let him deal with himself, the result of his actions, and find his own way to self-soothe.  Even if he comes back/calls/texts/threatens, you keep doing what you need to, go see your family, and go to the funeral.

Is there someone you can leave your dog with at the last minute, or is there a kennel or boarding facility where you can drop her off on your way to the airport?

We can chat about why your boyfriend may be doing this, but for the moment it just seems so much more important that you spend your time and energy on you and what you need.  So much of what he did seems so unacceptable.  Yes, he seems quite dysregulated right now.  That certainly does not justify his actions, it may only help to explain them.  Either way, it is nothing that you need to fix.

Please do what you need to do for yourself.  From what you posted, it seems that is to fly home and be with your family.  And remember that your phone is yours to control.  If you get harassing calls or texts, you can turn it off.  Then, when you're ready, let us know whenever you want to chat about the situation with your boyfriend.

Hang in there, and let us know how it goes.

zaqsert
casey1099

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 12:19:28 PM »

Boy do I understand what you are going through! As we speak my phone is buzzing off the table with hate texts. My partner has rage episodes about every six weeks, and right now is a doozy. So far I have not reacted, but even that is not making a difference. So... . I agree you must focus on taking care of yourself. I am trying to do the same here!

arabella

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 01:27:05 PM »

It sounds like he may have felt insecure about things (end of apt contract, your work being up in the air atm, you going away for a week, having guests, etc) and just... . overloaded. Not that having an explanation makes it any easier!

So you've got a week apart now for you to focus your attention elsewhere and him to calm himself down. That's probably good. You definitely made the right decision by speaking with your landlady and making sure you have somewhere to live. Sounds like he felt invalidated by you 'cancelling' his decision for you to move (you had no other option - it was absolutely the right thing to do!)

I'm in agreement with the others here: focus on yourself and just get through this week. This is one tiny piece of time in an 8-year r/s, it's not the be-all-end-all or anything (I know it doesn't feel that way though). There is really nothing you need to do except make sure you stay strong and calm, in so much as you can. He knows how to get hold of you if he needs you. It will be much easier to deal with once you're back in town and he's had some time to re-regulate his mood. Hang in there!
blackorchid

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 05:31:31 AM »

Thank you all for your messages.  I'm back home now. Arabella I think you're right about calling the landlady as when he found out he got angrier and that's what caused his packing.zagsert I've put my dog into the kennels so at least that's one thing sorted.  I'm glad you reminded me about its my phone as I have a choice as whilst I was reading this I got a message off him asking if I'm staying in the house as he will cancel the Internet. So far I haven't replied.  Do you think sometimes they like knowing that they hurt us?

Casey1099 I hope your partner is calmer now
arabella

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 11:49:18 AM »

Do you think sometimes they like knowing that they hurt us?

I think sometimes they say inflammatory things just to get a response. You might not answer a 'normal' text, but this one pretty much requires some sort of reply. I also think they do things to see if we still care. It's a piss pour way of going about it but, then again, subtlety isn't really their thing.
blackorchid

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »

i replied and he just said thanks bye.

arabella i think youre right about getting a response or to see if we care.  Feeling pretty crappy today though about it all. :'(
arabella

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 12:51:21 PM »

Of course you feel crappy! It's a totally crappy situation and he's acting like a jerk right now. It's so hard to try to sit through the cycles of dysregulation.

What's your plan going forward? Are you waiting for him to contact you again? Are there any things that need to be settled (e.g. rent, bills, property, plans, etc)?

Has anything like this happened in the context of your r/s with him before?
blackorchid

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 02:38:59 PM »

he threatened to do this about 18 months ago but he never went through with moving out.  coincedently around the same date last year he had a massive episode where he changed his mind about moving in together to a different location and didnt calm down for about 3 weeks. that was when i found this group and apart from a minor dip in september things have been good.  i read the lessons and really took them on board. I guess I wasnt really following them at the weekend due to the emotional state that I was in with everything that has gone on.

Apart from that message we have been N/C all week and i guess im still waiting for him to get in touch.  Everyone back home is telling me to get rid and never to go back.  When I talk about BPD they dont understand it and say Im making excuses. And that even if he does have it why should I stay with him and get hurt in the future again.  That just makes me worse.  Im missing him and worried about him too.

I have sorted the bills before I went. But as I said we were searching for a new apartment.  My school has contacted me today with a new salary offer and I have no idea what to say to them moving forward. I am happy living and working in that country but at the end of the day I moved there for him... .  
arabella

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 09:51:35 PM »

coincedently around the same date last year he had a massive episode where he changed his mind about moving in together to a different location and didnt calm down for about 3 weeks.

Probably not a coincidence, but either way, there is a precedent. So you may be looking at a 3 week wait if that's his 'usual' cycle. Ugh!

Everyone back home is telling me to get rid and never to go back.  When I talk about BPD they dont understand it and say Im making excuses. And that even if he does have it why should I stay with him and get hurt in the future again.  That just makes me worse.  Im missing him and worried about him too.

I was having this very conversation with someone else from these boards the other day! We were saying how isolating it is to be with a pwBPD because you get no support from family/friends. I guess that's why many of us are online here so often. It's really hard. Just when you need support and a shoulder to cry on, you get 'tough love' type advice and constant invalidation of your feelings. It's really awful - like adding insult to injury. :'(

My school has contacted me today with a new salary offer and I have no idea what to say to them moving forward. I am happy living and working in that country but at the end of the day I moved there for him... .

Being in limbo is horrid. I'm there right now myself. Okay, so... . What would you do if he decided he was never coming back? Would you take the job? You need to do what is best for you right now. I mean, consider the variables, but ultimately do your own thing. e.g. If you end up single, would you still be okay with having this job for awhile? Is there any reason not to take it? What factors are you considering?
Chosen

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 10:44:45 PM »

Everyone back home is telling me to get rid and never to go back.  When I talk about BPD they dont understand it and say Im making excuses. And that even if he does have it why should I stay with him and get hurt in the future again.  That just makes me worse.  Im missing him and worried about him too.

I was having this very conversation with someone else from these boards the other day! We were saying how isolating it is to be with a pwBPD because you get no support from family/friends. I guess that's why many of us are online here so often. It's really hard. Just when you need support and a shoulder to cry on, you get 'tough love' type advice and constant invalidation of your feelings. It's really awful - like adding insult to injury. :'(

Yes I feel that way too.  Other people just don't understand, while members here... . a lot of us have gone through the exact same things, it's so similar it's scary.  Other people will usually tell us to run and never look back (as if it's that simple), or if you choose to stay, then shut up about it because that's the life you choose.  I think a lot of us stay because we truly care about our pwBPDs, that’s why even when they do things to hurt us we still care about them, consider their feelings etc.  And perhaps we’re all just dysfunctional.  I don’t know…

blackorchid

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 03:12:29 AM »

Arabella I hope your situation is ok at the moment and is getting better. 

3 weeks seems like an awful long time at the moment. I guess Ill just take the job and focus on me for a while but I find that hard to do at times. Maybe you're right Chosen maybe we are all a bit dysfunctional

It is a really isolating thing caring about them at times like this isn't it... .   This support group is definitely a God send so thank you for answering me  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
united for now
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: separated

Talking about solutions create solutions

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »

Feeling lost and unsure of yourself is normal when they take off like that. It leaves so many questions that your mind chases around trying to answer... .

The simple answer is "he's mentally ill"

That doesn't answer the specifics, I know. It is the explanation. Yeah, you could have done things differently. Responded better. You were dealing with your own issues though and under stress. So forgive yourself even if he can't or won't.

I found that creating a plan was helpful in keeping me focused. That includes adding in activities that brought me comfort and joy.

Change your perceptions and you change your life.  Nothing changes without changes
blackorchid

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 02:10:04 PM »

Thank you united for now. I guess it makes sense for me to plan time with my friends and family whilst I'm here even if I don't feel 100% like doing it.  Hate being N/C ditch him ATM but I know it's the best I can do. Doesn't stop me hurting or worrying though 
arabella

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 03:30:38 PM »

Arabella I hope your situation is ok at the moment and is getting better. 

3 weeks seems like an awful long time at the moment. I guess Ill just take the job and focus on me for a while but I find that hard to do at times.

Thanks, blackorchid! My situation is one of those things that I know I'm in for a long haul. My particular 'crisis' is on-going and started in January, so I know what you mean about it being really hard to focus while you're in limbo.

3 weeks IS an awfully long time! I mean, sure, in the grand scheme of things, it's a drop in the bucket. But when you're actually living it? It's forever. You're doing the right things by focusing on yourself and keeping your own 'stuff' in order. Unfortunately there's just not much else to do. At least if you're sorted you'll have less to worry about down the road. Not much comfort right now, I know, but at least it's something.
blackorchid

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »

If I think 3 weeks is a long time that's nothing to what you're dealing with Arabella. I hope you're feeling a lot better than what I am
arabella

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 07:09:25 PM »

Well, to be fair, I'm not NC - that makes a HUGE difference! And the first few weeks are always the worst, so I don't envy you the spot you're in right now. I hope he comes around soon and you can get back to your life on a more even keel. I'll tell you what I keep telling myself - just keep hanging on!
blackorchid

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 03:49:57 AM »

yeah it definitely does! thank you ill keep telling myself that
blackorchid

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 04:15:43 AM »

see but Im still holding onto the belief that he is going to come round and come back to me... .
blackorchid

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 06:53:07 AM »

having a bit of a bad day today and any advise would be welcome.  feeling really upset by the N/C today my friend suggested a send a short message to him... . do you think that would help the situation or just make things worse.  I know the answer is probably on here somewhere but havent got the energy today to sift all through it.  Think knowing that Ill be flying back soon is making it worse as Ill be entering our empty apartment.  I feel sick with worrying about him and just want this to be over already   :'( :'( :'(
Rusalka

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 10:05:36 AM »

having a bit of a bad day today and any advise would be welcome.  feeling really upset by the N/C today my friend suggested a send a short message to him... . do you think that would help the situation or just make things worse.  I know the answer is probably on here somewhere but havent got the energy today to sift all through it.  Think knowing that Ill be flying back soon is making it worse as Ill be entering our empty apartment.  I feel sick with worrying about him and just want this to be over already   :'( :'( :'(

I can only speak from my experience (with trying to go LC/NC with my BPDmom) and from readings lots and lots of messages on here. If you send him a message, prepare to have your feelings stomped on as he will most likely use it as a chance to completely blame you and shame you into your actions and tell you his leaving was all your fault. I have seen it again, and again, and AGAIN on this board and everytime people say they feel like they are back at square one with their emotions.

Do what is best for you. It really does not seem as though people get closure at all from their exBPDs until they find peace within themselves.

edit: just as an addon, your friend's advice would make sense if you were dealing with a normal, rational person, which you are not and you said it yourself that your friends don't understand BPD. So your friend's advice is not bad, just understand that the person you would send it to will not react in a way you would expect from even a normal ex.
arabella

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 11:39:56 PM »

The advice for that sort of thing really depends on where your mind is at. If you send a message you have to be prepared, and be okay with, receiving a nasty answer (or no answer at all). If it makes YOU feel better to send it - then do it. This stuff is HARD and you should do what you need in order to maintain your own health. The important thing to remember is that you need to let go of the outcome - he's obviously dysregulated so, if a bad response is going to make things worse for YOU then just don't send a message at all.

Aside from the above warning... . Quite a few people here have found it helpful to send little 'pings' to their LC pwBPD. It just lets them know we're still around, still care, etc. Again, no expectation as to response, but leaving that communication door open for the pwBPD can be good.
blackorchid

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 04:33:13 AM »

thanks guys sent a message but have heard nothing back... .
arabella

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 10:43:32 AM »

keep us posted! Hoping you hear back (with a positive message) soon! Smiling (click to insert in post)
blackorchid

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 04:58:50 PM »

thank you.  it real;y does help doesnt it knowing that people on here care.  Still havent heard anything from him.  heard through a friend though that his talks with his old boss went well on tuesday and that he has resigned to the old team.  Dont know how i feel about that though... . guess it means when i fly back he has no reason to come to the city. He will be about 35 min drive away in the other town.

hope things are going much better with you
arabella

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 10:10:21 PM »

That's what we're here for - to support each other!  And thank goodness for that, I think I'd have lost every last marble by now if it wasn't for the lovely people I found here.

Job changes you say? Hmm... . Was this something he was worrying about before he flipped into a rage? Just curious because I know that my H is very triggered by any sort of job instability. I'm wondering if having things settled at work might help him to recalibrate and calm down - what do you think?

How do you feel about his new job situation? You said it was in another town, but also that he was there before - was this how things were for you two previously?

Things over here are, I hesitate to say, possibly a little more positive (I'm always looking for that second shoe that is perpetually hovering over my head). It was a pretty good weekend though, so I'm grateful for that. The stuff I've learned on these boards helped immensely!
blackorchid

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 04:41:15 AM »

Glad to hear that you had a nice weekend.

I think that all the uncertainty of everything definitely contributed towards it but not sure what to do moving forward.  He left his team in January which was in a completely different city (4 hours away)and we have lived together permanently  since then.  Previous to that from August we were seeing each other at the weekends. Which wasn't ideal.  This is his team from the previous year which is a lot closer.  I think that I realised last year that he cannot cope with the pressure of this type of things.  I kept saying that I'm pretty sure I'll be staying at my school but they took 2 months to tell me what pay rise I would receive.  He said that was unacceptable and he couldn't wait any longer which led him to saying his leaving. He wouldn't listen when I said I will know 2 days later when I have the meeting with the schools owners.  When I think about it I can see all the little signs building up.  But as I said I have had an awful 3 months and just couldn't think about the things I should be following. 

I think going through personal things its really hard being with someone like this.  I want him to be supporting me and not be being careful not to step on his toes.

I feel a bit rubbish finding out about it as this is what we have wanted for months.  If he plays there he is close to me. He can come home on his days offs. I can go to the matches on my days off and he can pop home in the week as its driveable.  Plus now Ive had the pay rise I wanted we can get the apartments we've been thinking off for months. But now I dont even know if that will happen. Technically we should be really happy now but instead we're not even communicating   
arabella

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »

Is it crazy that your post all makes sense to me? I think I may have spent too much time around pwBPD! Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

My H is exactly like this. He can not handle uncertainty. And if the uncertainty has been ongoing and a decision is now imminent? Panic. He dysregulates. I think it causes emotional overload. Then it takes a few weeks for him to come back down off the ledge he's built himself. In the meantime, I'm miserable and trying to figure out what I could have done differently. Answer? Nothing. It's not me, it's him.

For example, I've been unemployed for quite awhile now. Not my fault, and it was okay at first, but it put a strain on things. H, at the height of his dysregulation this spring, could speak of nothing else but how I needed a job and how I had put him in an awful position by not working. So I busted my tail and chased a particular job for months (kept applying to others as well). Finally, just a few weeks ago, it paid off and I got a job offer! Woohoo, right? No. He dysregulated. Now he's improved to just not caring about it. I start next week. We should be celebrating. We should be happy. But no. I reminded him this week that I needed the car for work next week. He forgot I was starting work.

So, I hear ya. You can't win for trying. Good news is that it sounds like his dysregulation had a distinct cause and that is now resolved. It'll take time, but I am betting that once it sinks in and he realizes things are okay, he'll just slowly revert back to 'normal' and you'll be left wondering what the heck just happened. In the meantime... . it totally sucks.

Keep hanging on!  
blackorchid

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 05:33:35 PM »

At least between the 2 of us we understand each others situation.  Hate that we should both be celebrating but instead we are stressing and worrying and upset

not sure if this was him tonight but hes brother messaged me on facebook asking if i was in england and if im just not coming back.  thing is ive spoke to him on the phone and he knows where i am so can help but wonder if it was my boyf and why hes doing that for 

i hope that your H comes round and that you sort things out.  Youre amazing for waiting for him for so long
arabella

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »

The facebook thing is indeed odd. It could very well be your bf. As much as we tell them we are coming back, the nature of the disorder is that they feel abandoned - and for them, feelings = facts. So you are gone right now and he is likely panicking that, because he fought with you, you're never coming back. You've left him. (All subconscious, of course.) That's my theory. Not that it matters, because no matter what's going on the reality is that you are going back and you have a job lined up there. Guessing that he's just seeking reassurance.

I hope my H comes round too! And thanks for thinking of me in the midst of your own crisis!  Now if only he'd realize how awesome I am... . Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest