Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 07:06:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gaslighting - anyone can share their experiences  (Read 1063 times)
myself

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2014, 01:45:34 AM »

One point in this is that we rewarded it - we, unintentionally, encouraged it.

Here's how it was for me.

"Pay no attention to the pwBPD behind the curtain."

But I couldn't look away. Even while getting lost where she pointed.

I ended up cross-eyed. I'm learning to be more focused.

It was like a ping pong game and I was on one side of the net.

She won if I didn't quit, or did. I won if I didn't play.

going places

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 07:58:21 AM »

www.narcissisticbehavior.net/the-effects-of-gaslighting-in-narcissistic-victim-syndrome/

It's like someone crawled inside my head, and took notes... .

More like crawled inside and took my soul, for awhile.

This article is 99% spot on what happened to me... .and yes, it's like they sucked the soul right out of you... .

But I am SO thankful for sites like this; SO thankful for battered women's shelters that provide advocates and support groups with NO out of pocket cost: SO thankful for the books written by survivors and doctors so that I could educate myself... .and SO SO very thankful that I was able to see and understand what was being done to me, and the strength to get away and stay away... .and heal. For that, I praise the Lord!

It's not easy to break this 'spell' and it's not easy to break the connection to the abuser, and it's not easy to heal.

But nothing worth having is easy, right? Smiling (click to insert in post)

I am so thankful that I have my sanity, dignity, and respect for myself, in tact!
guy4caligirl

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 08:16:02 AM »

Some of my friends got REALLY judgy and annoyed with me bc I responded to my ex's last contact.  Well, that is who I am.  I was careful to keep it all kind and all in the "me" court and they sorta derisively told me I was "giving away my power."  Well, again, that's me.  I don't *care* if he knows I was/am hurt, my motivation isn't to guilt him or to win him back, I just wanted to try to have some sort of adult and genuine conversation at the end of the r/s.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Take the emotionally mature high ground.

If there is one  thing we can take away from this experiences let it be a higher level of emotional maturity.

Amen

we nons are logical people we can discuss problems with our mind functioning normal like give and take , what to expect from the BPD partner ?

They don't even listen to what you're saying all the think about at that time is justification to what ever their part of the story ,lies and make up untrue argument , so how could we get better , I have spent five years with my ex still with the few contacts I have with her she haven't change a bit but guess what I did I can see thru her now she won't fool me again , I am in 5th day of NC and I am proud of it ... .Now it's her turn to wonder why I am giving her the silent treatment she didn't care when she exercise her silent towards me why should I ?

It's just a though .
Pingo

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 10:41:25 AM »

I have been thinking about this post all weekend.  Was I gaslit? He tried to distort my reality constantly.  And he was almost successful but I always had a gut reaction to things which made me question his manipulations.  But he was so covert about it that I could never call him on any of it successfully.  Here are some examples:

He'd drop by my work unexpectedly to surprise me... .isn't that romantic? Except I always felt he was checking up on me.  If I had expressed my feelings I would have been cast as the unappreciative selfish wife who is possibly insane.

(Sorry if this is TMI but since guys are discussing BJ's on another thread, I think it should be okay) Near the end of the r/s he would encourage me to let things grow 'au naturelle' down below, as if it was his fetish, yet wasn't in the early part of our r/s.  He acted like it was soo sexy, even had me take pictures when he was away to send him... .I at first enjoyed it and then I got the realisation that he wants me like that to make sure I'm not sleeping around (as if I'd have an affair being like that, not too many guys would like this I realise).

He would text me when I was with my girlfriends, asking what we are doing, what we're eating, can I bring him home something to eat... .I think to prove to him I was where I said I was.  Even said one time that he was looking forward to photos I took at a birthday party (I refused to take any as I felt he again was wanting me to prove where I was).

He'd casually walk by when I was on the computer and act all innocent, I didn't dare demand privacy as it would have made him suspicious, like I was trying to hide something so I just tolerated it.

He'd ask me very specific questions about conversations or texts, all in the name of curiosity but I knew he was just checking up on me.  I allowed the many, many questions because if I had told him it was none of his business he'd then have something to base his suspicion on.

He'd offer to drive me to yoga class as he was going to 'go to the library and hang around for an hour'... .even though he never spent an hour at the library any other time and yoga was only 10 minutes away and I have my own car.  If I refused and said I'd drive myself it would have given him reason for suspicion so once again, just allowed it.

So many things, I could go on and on... .His intention was to get away with these behaviours.  He didn't do them to make me feel like I was going crazy.  So maybe this isn't gaslighting.  But I did most definitely feel like I was going crazy.  Here was a sweet, thoughtful man just trying to say and do nice things and yet I was feeling like he was being very sinister.  And this was a very difficult feeling to have for the man I loved so much.  He manipulated me in such a way that it was impossible to call him on this stuff.  He played the innocent and the victim... .he'd go to his 'counsellor' or his family and tell them how I don't appreciate the kind gestures he makes... .it was such a horrible experience!  Since our split I have had a lot of paranoia about if he is still checking up on me.  I have had suspicion he had access to my email, he had bugged my house, put gps on my car... .I have no proof of any of these things and I've had to let my paranoia go otherwise it was going to consume me.  If he is tracking me so be it.  But definitely crazy-making stuff!

Deeno02

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 10:44:01 AM »

I know Pingo. Drives you up the crazy tree at times. Still leaves me second guessing myself... .
vortex of confusion

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »

So many things, I could go on and on... .His intention was to get away with these behaviours.  He didn't do them to make me feel like I was going crazy.  So maybe this isn't gaslighting.  But I did most definitely feel like I was going crazy.  Here was a sweet, thoughtful man just trying to say and do nice things and yet I was feeling like he was being very sinister.  And this was a very difficult feeling to have for the man I loved so much.  He manipulated me in such a way that it was impossible to call him on this stuff.  He played the innocent and the victim... .he'd go to his 'counsellor' or his family and tell them how I don't appreciate the kind gestures he makes... .it was such a horrible experience!  Since our split I have had a lot of paranoia about if he is still checking up on me.  I have had suspicion he had access to my email, he had bugged my house, put gps on my car... .I have no proof of any of these things and I've had to let my paranoia go otherwise it was going to consume me.  If he is tracking me so be it.  But definitely crazy-making stuff!

For some reason, it feels really good to hear you say this. I guess it is because this is exactly what I have experienced. He sits on his computer all day and I don't question or say much. When I am on my computer, he will say something if he hears me laugh. He will want to know what is so funny. I can't say "nothing" or he will get pi$$y with me. My computer is a laptop so he will come sit down on the end of the couch and look at what I am doing. I might not care so much but he has to make comments about whatever it is. If he hears me typing, he wants to know if I am typing on my forums or talking to a friend or something else. When he is typing, I rarely say anything. If I say something and try to get him to knock it off, he plays the roll of interested and caring husband. And I hate that when I try to say anything about it I sound like the paranoid, mean wife. I have even gotten crap like, "You wanted me to pay more attention to you so I am giving you more attention. I am giving you want you want and now you are mad at me?" It's a real mind mess
Pingo

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 11:36:56 AM »

For some reason, it feels really good to hear you say this. I guess it is because this is exactly what I have experienced. He sits on his computer all day and I don't question or say much. When I am on my computer, he will say something if he hears me laugh. He will want to know what is so funny. I can't say "nothing" or he will get pi$$y with me. My computer is a laptop so he will come sit down on the end of the couch and look at what I am doing. I might not care so much but he has to make comments about whatever it is. If he hears me typing, he wants to know if I am typing on my forums or talking to a friend or something else. When he is typing, I rarely say anything. If I say something and try to get him to knock it off, he plays the roll of interested and caring husband. And I hate that when I try to say anything about it I sound like the paranoid, mean wife. I have even gotten crap like, "You wanted me to pay more attention to you so I am giving you more attention. I am giving you want you want and now you are mad at me?" It's a real mind mess

Yes!  Everything you just said!  One of the things I would complain about throughout our r/s was that he had not made any effort to bond with my s10 (his stepson).  He was very aloof with him.  So when things got to the point where I was thinking of leaving and he knew it, all of a sudden he steps up and starts 'chilling' with my son, showing interest.  When I told him I wanted to end the marriage he threw that in my face, that he had done what I wanted, made a r/s with my son, and it still wasn't enough!  Nevermind the last 4 yrs of him being a d*ck to my son!... .and it was just an act to pacify me anyhow, he didn't really give a ___ about him.
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 01:18:54 PM »

So maybe this isn't gaslighting.  But I did most definitely feel like I was going crazy.

It's not gas lighting and you are making the point that gaslighting is an Internet label that is used to describe so many unrelated things that it is meaningless.

Artisan

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2014, 01:23:18 PM »

Some gaslighting examples I experienced:

"You are going to ___ your friends. And strangers." - The next day, I asked her why she said that ... " I didnt say anything, you are making that up."

"You are abusing me!" screamed as she also clawed at her face. The next day, that didn't happen, I made it up just to hurt her feelings.

"I have kept all your emails." ... .I asked her to look back thru them to prove something ... ."I never keep your emails, I am not that kind of person."

Artisan

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2014, 01:57:18 PM »

The gaslighting is the one area that really really messed with me.

When she told me that she hated me and to leave ... .and then turned around the next day, called me up and wondered where I was and why I had moved out. She insisted she never said that.

I have forgotten a lot of these things. There is a lot more.

When reviewing how people respond to trauma, its forgotten as time passes. And thus, I have forgotten so much of what happened.

It makes me vulnerable to a recycle.

Many things I only remember at this time because of having wrote it all down. And even now, I just wonder at how accurate I was (I was accurate) ... .because it just seems so fantastical.

Thankful for taking the time to document.
hope2727

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2014, 08:37:28 PM »

Early on he would tell me one thing then tell me the exact opposite and deny the first. I thought I had misunderstood. He would tell me a story about a orbiter flirting and then later say it didn't happen. He would delete texts I asked him to keep and then tell me I never told him to save them. Things like that.

Later in the relationship he would cry for hours over something then deny that he was upset about it days later. He also raged about various issues and then did a 180 degree turnabout on his position days later. I began to take notes while he raged and that made him angrier. He would yell "you are going to throw that in my face later". When I told him it was out of respect for him and his concerns that I was taking notes. That I didn't want to misunderstand what he was saying or forget later. He FREAKED!  Looking back at the notes (I am a student so I am a great note taker) were complete opposites from one day to the next. Dizzying.

He would tell me he stayed home crying by the phone hoping I would call and then tell a mutual friend he was out partying. When confronted on this he claimed to "not remember" being out with his friend anytime recently.

He told a mutual friend he emailed me one thing but in reality emailed me something completely different. He also told said friend (my friend long before I met my pwBPD) that I had said or done certain things when I had not. Then he would tell me that said friend no longer wanted to be friends with me as I was unethical. Indeed we are not friends anymore despite my asking the friend about this comment and him denying it. But my pwBPD was totally effective in his smear campaign.

Its been so crazy making that I have ended up in therapy with a Phd psychologist who specializes in BPD as I thought it was me. Last week we discussed how I felt like I had been whittled away at until there was just nothing left of me. Strange thing is I'd like to recycle and try to do better on both our parts. He is in therapy (although I don't think he is really embracing it) and I am learning to find my spine again. Ridiculous I know. What can I say I love the big jerk.
Aussie JJ

Relationship status: apart 18 months, 12 months push pull 6 months seperated properly, 4 months k own about BPD

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2014, 11:12:19 PM »

hmm,

Consider the other thread on Enabling and Codependancy... .

Some people in there are saying, yes I also have a fear of abandonment.  I enabled the behaviour, I allowed it.  I think it stems from here that we have to look at this topic.  Does that imply that by saying those behaviours were acceptable they were 'gaslighting' their pwBPD.  Lets be straight up front here.  We all act on a subconscious level around our fears.  Whatever they may be, fear of loosing your job so you stay back and put in extra hours subconsciously.  Been there done that, anyone? 

For a pwBPD, rejection sensitivity, abandonment.  These add up to fears so overwhelming that they make them happen.  So do we act on our fears?  Do we fear intimacy so much that we accept these behaviours and allow them to happen so that we have 'intamacy'.  Are we gas-lighting the pwBPD into thinking it is a for-filling relationship? 

Did we trick them into thinking that all of this was OK?

Gaslighting is deliberate, it is something pre-planned and orchestrated to have a desired outcome.  A pwBPD doesn't pre-plan you abandoning them, or them abandoning you.  They fear it so much, on such a deep level that they see it coming when its not, so they try to avoid it by being possessive, controlling, anything to make sure you don't abandon them.  Those behaviours are abusive when we enable them however to a pwBPD they are justified as you are then not going to leave, just like staying back is justified as you will keep your job. 

I can say my exBPDgf gaslighted me as well.  It would be a misuse of the term.  Gaslighting is pre-meditated manipulations to get an outcome. 

Not based on fear, but planned in spite.  Even after the breakup, they flaunt their replacements in-front of you so they can sooth themselves that they have made the correct decision.  That they are justified as look how good I am now, this person has saved me.  All the while, fearing the next abandonment from the current partner.  This is done so they can justify it to themselves, I have been saved!~

To walk a mile in someone else's shoes... . 

AJJ. 
vortex of confusion

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2014, 11:28:36 PM »

For a pwBPD, rejection sensitivity, abandonment.  These add up to fears so overwhelming that they make them happen.  So do we act on our fears?  Do we fear intimacy so much that we accept these behaviours and allow them to happen so that we have 'intamacy'.  Are we gas-lighting the pwBPD into thinking it is a for-filling relationship? 

That is a very provocative question. If I am completely honest, I have deliberately done things to my partner to try to get him to see things my way. It wasn't to make him feel crazy. It was more to get him to understand or see my reality. I am trying to think of an example of when and why I did it but we all know that it is easier to remember others failings than it is our own.

Excerpt
Did we trick them into thinking that all of this was OK?

I don't feel like I ever tried to trick him into thinking anything was okay. I repeatedly tried to find ways to communicate that what he was doing was NOT okay. After a while, I gave up.

Excerpt
Gaslighting is deliberate, it is something pre-planned and orchestrated to have a desired outcome.  A pwBPD doesn't pre-plan you abandoning them, or them abandoning you.  They fear it so much, on such a deep level that they see it coming when its not, so they try to avoid it by being possessive, controlling, anything to make sure you don't abandon them.  Those behaviours are abusive when we enable them however to a pwBPD they are justified as you are then not going to leave, just like staying back is justified as you will keep your job. 

In order to know whether their actions were deliberate or pre-planned, it would be necessary to be inside their heads. I know that my partner has said that he didn't deliberately do anything to hurt me. But, I question that. If I can't trust what he says most of the time, how can I trust that he was not deliberately doing those things? In some cases, I feel that he did deliberately lie and gaslight me in order to protect himself. If he could convince me of his reality by deliberately twisting things, then I would not be as likely to leave him.

Excerpt
I can say my exBPDgf gaslighted me as well.  It would be a misuse of the term.  Gaslighting is pre-meditated manipulations to get an outcome. 

How does one determine what was premeditated and what wasn't?

Aussie JJ

Relationship status: apart 18 months, 12 months push pull 6 months seperated properly, 4 months k own about BPD

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2014, 11:42:23 PM »

Voc,

My exBPDgf planned on spending the rest of her life with me at one stage.  That was genuine, she didn't plan on it falling apart.  Her fears made it happen, something so powerful she had no control of it.  It wasn't premeditated that we break up and she get a new partner.  It happened out of fears being a reality for her.  Cognitive Distortions, see the link above. 

As I said, walk a mile in someone else's shoes.  It is a horrible process for them to have to live out. 

AJJ. 
Blimblam

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2014, 11:47:08 PM »

I can say with certainty during devaluing stage me ex with intention and premeditation did things to destroy my self esteem and condition me to not trust myself. She did this in sadistic fashion.  Before she did this she went through a period of dysregulation and she held that shame in and went about making me feel it in return over time. She was not concious of all the reasons why but she knew she was hurting me and lying about it and it was deliberate so she could feel in control and empowered.
Aussie JJ

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2014, 01:56:50 AM »

VoC/BB,

I am not implying that we ourselves are guilty or have 'gaslighted' our exBPD's.  I am saying if you walk a mile in someone else's shoes, look at it from their perspective it is different.  Remember that in the DSM now has a lack of empathy or diminished empathy along with intimacy with BPD as a key aspect. 

So your expwBPD has a inability to see how his/her actions hurt you.  It isn't intentional.  It isn't a premeditated plan to hurt you.  We go, why are they moving on so fast, why are they all over this new supply, was I nothing to them?

Diminished sense of self, or lack of a stable identity.  They get their identity from others.  Their emotions are dependent on the stability of their attachment to their partner in a relationship.  For them showing off the new supply as we all call it here (how unemphatic?) hurts us to the core, we ask ourselves why are they doing this, why are they changing everything for this person, was nothing we had of any meaning to him/her?

In it's simplest form, it is a person who is unable to see how they are hurting you, unable to see how their actions can cause you pain.  The same as they were engrossed in you they are now engrossed in their next relationship.  Their is a inability to see the harm that they cause others, they only at that point in time care about not feeling pain themselves. 

Now lying deliberately.  If you felt so bad about how you had treated someone that you just didn't want to own up to your own actions as it made you feel bad.  You had no ability to see how you hurt others, wanted no accountability for your actions etc.  It wouldn't be lying, it would be justifiable as it made you feel good and in your reality, those feelings were real of being good and being accountable for the lies and deceit would make you feel bad.  That feeling of being a bad person etc, drives some pwBPD to suicide.  That's how intense it is.  Again cognitive distortions linked above. 

I have ranted about how bad my exBPDgf is a fair few times.  Is it gas-lighting, am i distorting facts to make her out to be evil, triangulating her with all of you as my rescuers agreeing that she is the persecutor and I am a victim, am I making her out to be like that deliberately... .  No, its my perception of events, is it true?  From my perspective yes, it is 100% true.  Wait a minute, I just triangulated everyone against her, am I conducting a smear campaign?  Do I have BPD!  She probably thinks I do TBH, quite funny looking at it like that?

For my exBPDgf, it is just how she feels.  It is what she does to avoid the reality of her actions, disassociation to avoid those actions... .  Is my ranting justified, well I don't understand, how can I, I don't have those emotions flying around like she does so powerfully. 

I don't mean to imply that anyone here is 'gaslighting' their ex's.  All I am saying is, our perception is abuse, their perception is defense of their actions and self esteem, they feel good when not owning up to those behaviors.  Were you 100 % perfect in the relationship... .(lets be honest)

My defense of my behavior when painting my exBPDgf black and calling her every name in the book 6 months ago on this forum... .  Much the same as her defense at present.  I was defending my self esteem against my fears, my fears that I was inadequate, my fears that I wasn't good enough.  All those things she said about me that weren't true that she was saying to boost her self esteem and placing on me. 

Now, some of the things we say about our ex's are quite harsh, however they serve a purpose at that point in time.  We work through that and start to understand it and understand our own motivations.  Imagine feeling so bad about being accountable for your behavior you wanted to commit suicide?

My behavior was pretty bad 6 months ago, I am not proud of it, feel free to go through some of my old posts, it isn't pretty.  Her behavior is getting worse, when held accountable I am Sh17 scarred of the consequences. 

All I am saying is, be accountable for your own behavior, be proud of your behavior and 'detach' from the accusations they put out against you, its only gas-lighting from our perspective if we allow it to effect us.  That perception we have of it is very true for us, 100% real. 

I hope I never feel that pain she has to suppress on a daily basis.  I hope I never have to walk in those shoes for a day with those intense emotions that are so powerful. 

AJJ. 
Blimblam

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2014, 04:30:48 AM »

Ajj,

My ex knew she was hurting me. I understand it was not personal.  She was projecting and splitting. My ex was a quiet borderline, she did not rage so enstead she would premeditively set up scenerios for me to "fail" at.  She did this by wearing down my self esteem with 1000 little rejections a day and call me paranoid for calling her out on it. So by the time I got to the scenerios she had planned to see if I met her standards I would mess up or not meet her standards.  This way she had proof I was no good. When I called her out on this she would lie.  It was premeditated but she was not conciously aware of the flawed logic behind this. The time spam between her setting me up to fail would shorten as she wore me down over time and each time I fell into her trap she would give a sadistic smirk.

Your ex may have raged. Mine didn't she did what I describe and this is what I refer to as gaslighting.  

I have seen the film and she even moved things around and hid things with the intention of having me doubt myself.  She knew what she was doing and she took a sadistic satisfaction in it.

Although I don't think she was aware this had to do with her projecting and splitting or her inability to process her fear from the dysregulation that led to this weeks prior.  

I found this type of abuse to be much more damaging than raging.

Blimblam
Aussie JJ

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2014, 04:58:20 AM »

BB,

Mine on one level knows she is hurting me, about once every few months she would appologise for something when together.  Other than that no self awareness.  To me, what your describing is someone setting up scenarios to prove that you were abandoning/rejecting her.  Not meeting her standards so your forfilling her fears of abandonment.  She fears it so much she escalates the demands so that you prove that love and confirm to her it wont happen. 

Quite horific, each time this fear of rejection/abandonment is met with the failure to meet these unrealistic demands. 

Doesnt make it a deliberate attempt to hurt you, I am saying it is an attempt to try and make you prove you wont and she subconciously fears it so much she escalates until it does happen.  To me, what i went through, seemed very real, very traumatic, very deliberate. 

AJJ. 
Blimblam

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2014, 05:24:39 AM »

Ajj,

I have a BPD mom and I have experienced her abuse which was more a direct respoce she doesn't have control over.  I have also experienced with my step mom with some cluster b traits set in up scenerios for me to fail at.

With my ex it was taken to a new level.  Not only did she set up the scenerios but she deliberately went out if her way to hurt me and cause me to doubt myself.  I have no doubts in my mind about this.  She would hide something then when I was getting ready and getting stressed out as she was smirking pull it out from where she moved it and tell me how "not chill" I am.  That's is one example. Probably the most clear one.  

Or when I was about to do something make a quick comment to keep me off ballance before i took the action to screw me up.  Then tell me how I can't do anything right.  It was deliberate systematic abuse. She had self repose and was calm and collected when she took these actions.

I felt like I was constantly being set up but she would lie and switch into baby voice pity or seduction to always keep me off ballance.  

This was how she devalued it was the intent to prove to her i was worthless. Really it was about her inner critic punishing her own abandoned child but she was projecting the abandoned child onto me and she took the role as persecuter.

She did this very subtly at first and it escalated the more I began to doubt myself.

I understand it had to do with her abandonment fears and replaying that drama in her head with a role reversal.  The the intent to hurt was deliberate. Honestly I think she wanted me to get abusive with her so she could be the victim.
Aussie JJ

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2014, 05:50:05 AM »

Shock value,

Read up on the www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzkrieg tactics the germans used.  Essentially shock and overwhelm to maintain control of the battlefield.  Mine tries to shock me as well, overwhelm me as well.  Its about not loosing control themselves.  Not about hurting us, they dont see that, all they see is control and having control there is safety in that. 

Very genralised I know. 

My exBPDgf started being nice to me at handover after I saw her break down and cry last week at handover.  Blocked me in the doorway this past weekend when I was tryign to leave.  Same thing, control of a situation. 

My response, stand there look at her and not acknowledge what was happening.  Didnt ask her to more, didnt ask her to explain what she was doing, silence.  No emotion and when the behaviour doesnt get a response from me she started to panic. 

Blocking that doorway was an attempt to make me engage.  I stood there for about 30 seconds just staring blankly at her.  Finally she asked me what are you looking at, why are you looking at me like that?

My response, I shrugged, didnt give her the emotion, just ignored it.  When there is something you dont like, dont engage in it now.  Hard to de-personalise as it is so personal.  I'll PM some of the stuff across to you as well mate. 

AJJ. 
going places

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2014, 06:42:26 AM »

Excerpt
Gaslighting is pre-meditated manipulations to get an outcome. 

The outcome he wanted was for ME to file divorce so that HE could avoid 'being the bad guy'.

His goal was to make me so miserable, so emotionally off balance and unstable that I would file for divorce.

He wanted the divorce BUT he didn't want to move out. Wanted to stay living here while we were divorced, and until the house sold... .

Example of him, gaslighting me:

In 2011, the 'counselor' we were seeing recommended a book for us to read.

I had read that book in the past and found it to be very sexist... .but... .it had a couple of good points.

In 2011 we discussed this book, and how 90% of it was utter garbage, but 10% was good information.

Flash forward to early 2014.

We are in the vehicle coming home from somewhere, and as much as I didn't want to bring up the topic (because it sent him into temper tantrum mode) I had too... .so I asked him what was his plan for us moving forward.

He flew into a fit saying I don't appreciate what he does for me.

(writes me a note in the morning telling me he took the dogs out / putting away the laundry / brings home ice cream on Thursday nights)

IN HIS MIND this was what an outstanding stellar husband does... .and he deserved a parade for his great deeds

I told him I did appreciate them, but those are not things we are doing to repair the marriage and look towards the future... .

Then he says "well YOU SAID that your love language was ______"

I said "what? when did we have this discussion?"

He said "YOU told me your love language was ______ and I WAS JUST DOING what YOU told me"

I said "no... .we discussed that book, and determined it was garbage, but this 10% was good information

He said "NO you told me this was your love language and all I was doing was what the book and you told me to do".

I said "I never said that".

((NOW he has me second guessing. I have ALWAYS had a mind like a steel trap, I forget nothing. BUT what he put me thru, the PTSD the depression... .now, I am second guessing)

NOW I start apologizing, telling him I do appreciate what he does.

Now he is cold, won't talk, and when he does, he keeps repeating

"YOU told me that was you love language, YOU told me that is what you wanted".

I know for a FACT it is NOT what I told him.

But he would twist things to where I would second guess myself. I couldn't make simple decisions without a monumental amount of thinking.

He had me so twisted, *I* was apologizing to him FOR HIS AFFAIR!

I walked around like a zombie... .All joy, happiness, and life, was sucked out of me... .

For ONE YEAR (because a counselor told me I was "unforgiving if I talked" I told NO ONE not one soul what was happening to me... .finally, I told my doc... .and she sat in the office, and cried.

I knew something was wrong. I knew that this was NOT "me"... .I knew something was screwed up but I didn't know what... .I had no idea what was going on... .

I most definitely was gas lit.

It is insidious, and evil.
Deeno02

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2014, 06:50:34 AM »

Excerpt

The outcome he wanted was for ME to file divorce so that HE could avoid 'being the bad guy'.

His goal was to make me so miserable, so emotionally off balance and unstable that I would file for divorce.

He wanted the divorce BUT he didn't want to move out. Wanted to stay living here while we were divorced, and until the house sold... .

I had read that book in the past and found it to be very sexist... .but... .it had a couple of good points.

In 2011 we discussed this book, and how 90% of it was utter garbage, but 10% was good information.

We are in the vehicle coming home from somewhere, and as much as I didn't want to bring up the topic (because it sent him into temper tantrum mode) I had too... .so I asked him what was his plan for us moving forward.

(writes me a note in the morning telling me he took the dogs out / putting away the laundry / brings home ice cream on Thursday nights)

IN HIS MIND this was what an outstanding stellar husband does... .and he deserved a parade for his great deeds

I told him I did appreciate them, but those are not things we are doing to repair the marriage and look towards the future... .

He said "YOU told me your love language was ______ and I WAS JUST DOING what YOU told me"

I said "no... .we discussed that book, and determined it was garbage, but this 10% was good information

He said "NO you told me this was your love language and all I was doing was what the book and you told me to do".

((NOW he has me second guessing. I have ALWAYS had a mind like a steel trap, I forget nothing. BUT what he put me thru, the PTSD the depression... .now, I am second guessing)

But he would twist things to where I would second guess myself. I couldn't make simple decisions without a monumental amount of thinking.

I walked around like a zombie... .All joy, happiness, and life, was sucked out of me... .

For ONE YEAR (because a counselor told me I was "unforgiving if I talked" I told NO ONE not one soul what was happening to me... .finally, I told my doc... .and she sat in the office, and cried.

I knew something was wrong. I knew that this was NOT "me"... .I knew something was screwed up but I didn't know what... .I had no idea what was going on... .

If I never hear of that book again, I'd be a happy man. Had that force fed down my throat by my gf. God... .the stupid, it burns!
going places

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2014, 06:53:01 AM »

Excerpt

If I never hear of that book again, I'd be a happy man. Had that force fed down my throat by my gf. God... .the stupid, it burns!

I broke that book down in front of him AND the counselor... .and showed how 'stupid' it was.

Essentially said "give a woman trinkets and she will be happy, give a man sex and fawn all over him and he will be happy, and you will live happily ever after".

I thought it was a bunch of horse spit.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest