Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 04:48:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 30 Days NC, ex wants to meet up.  (Read 523 times)
Xidion

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« on: December 29, 2014, 07:12:06 PM »

So my exBPD texted me today and asked me Why I thought she had BPD. I told her that she should really research it 30 days ago. She is being completely open to it. As i'm texting her explaining her what it is, she says "Would this be easier to talk about in person"? I said most likely. What's going on here? She left me for a replacement 2 months ago, now she wants to meet up with me so I can talk to her about BPD? I told her I'm no medical professional and asked her if she was sure that she wants to hear this from me... she said "You know me the best". Advice please and lots of it.

NonAverageJoe

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 07:20:02 PM »

I narrowly escaped an attempted triangulation and/or recycle last night OVER STUFF. I had my stuff and went BACK.

I'm telling you now. Had I not been laying next to her posting on this forum. I don't know what the hell would have happened. Don't do it.

Please man. Don't do it.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »

You gave her what you know and there are resources like the internet or she can talk to her MD etc.

I think a better question is. Why does she want you to tell her what she's already been told?

Actions speak louder than words.

I'd wait and see if she follows through on her own with getting advice and help from professionals. I suggest do nothing. Only time will tell.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
AwakenedOne

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 07:36:32 PM »

In my opinion her contacting you and especially now wanting to meet you has absolutely nothing to do with her supposed thirst for knowledge regarding BPD. My guess it's an attempt to recycle or triangulate.
HappyNihilist

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 08:01:12 PM »

There is a chance that she's genuinely curious to see what you think is "wrong" with her. That doesn't necessarily mean that she's curious with the intention of getting help. It could just be her ego talking.

However, I'm more inclined to agree with others here who see it as a potential re-engagement, especially since she wants to meet with you.

My advice would be to tread carefully. You've given her the information you have, and now it's up to her to decide what to do with it. I wouldn't recommend meeting with her.

How are you feeling about all of this?
hurting300

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 08:08:21 PM »

Do yourself a favor, at least see what she has to say. What IF she actually wants help. Just see what she wants that way you won't regret anything.

In the eye for an eye game, he who cares least, wins. I, for one. am never stepping into the ring with someone who is impulsive and doesn't think of the downstream consequences.
Xidion

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 08:15:56 PM »

She is coming over to my place tomorrow night. I'm going to keep things strictly on the topic of BPD and not stray from it.

Blimblam

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 08:18:11 PM »

Do what you need to heal.  

If that means reingaging with your ex to see where she is coming from and where you are ar in yourself so be it.  

You don't want to have regrets.  

It's painful no matter what but regrets will haunt you.  
Blimblam

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 08:19:43 PM »

You might want to post on the staying section for advice on non triggering communication. 
hurting300

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 08:40:21 PM »

She is coming over to my place tomorrow night. I'm going to keep things strictly on the topic of BPD and not stray from it.

Be calm with her man. If she starts blaming and projecting, you tell her to get out. Then you'll know deep down its not going to work.

In the eye for an eye game, he who cares least, wins. I, for one. am never stepping into the ring with someone who is impulsive and doesn't think of the downstream consequences.
paperlung

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 08:43:54 PM »

Can't you just talk to her about this on the phone?
Infern0

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 08:47:33 PM »

So my exBPD texted me today and asked me Why I thought she had BPD. I told her that she should really research it 30 days ago. She is being completely open to it. As i'm texting her explaining her what it is, she says "Would this be easier to talk about in person"? I said most likely. What's going on here? She left me for a replacement 2 months ago, now she wants to meet up with me so I can talk to her about BPD? I told her I'm no medical professional and asked her if she was sure that she wants to hear this from me... she said "You know me the best". Advice please and lots of it.

Mate can I PLEASE give you a red alert warning here because this is virtually identical to my situation.

Mine replaced me and I went no contact after she had split me black.  At around about the same time frame (8 weeks) suddenly she reappeared and wanted to talk. We got to talking about her illness and treatment etc.

First major red flag,  why is she not talking to her boyfriend about this. How would you feel if your girlfriend was texting her ex to meet up and saying "you know me best" etc and asking him for help.

See idealisation phase wears off and when it does,  the relationship becomes unstable.  PwBPD get bored,  Arguments start up,  they begin to devalue the replacement,  the sex leaves the relationship.

At this point you hear from her about wanting help so you try to help.  But after a week or so she is texting you about how she's having problems with her new boyfriend,  how he's sometimes mean to her and upsets her. Shortly after she asks if you can hang out and just have fun.  So you go as a friend but she seems to be making physical contact a lot,  and she's looking into your eyes for a long time. ... .

Next thing you know you are having an affair.

Beware mate.  Beware
HappyNihilist

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 09:04:25 PM »

It's good that you have your focus and needs in mind. How will you respond if she tries to change the topic? What is your "escape" plan for if the meeting starts to go somewhere you're not comfortable with?

How are you planning to approach the topic with her? Are you planning a general discussion of BPD, treatment options, etc.? Or are you thinking in terms of her specific behavior and history?

Be prepared for things you say to be misinterpreted and/or questioned. This can be alleviated by using clear, non-triggering communication... .but when you're telling someone you think they have a personality disorder, it's probably going to be triggering in some way. Expect some defensiveness.

Stay in touch with how you're feeling and reacting. Don't be afraid to take a "time out" and collect your thoughts. Take care of yourself. Keep your boundaries and needs in mind.

Address feelings before facts. Remember, for a pwBPD, feelings are facts -- the emotion is felt first, and then the pwBPD assigns a cause/meaning. Address her feelings before moving on. SET is very helpful here.

• Support - an initial statement that begins with "I" and demonstrates concern and a desire to help. "I want to help."

• Empathy - focuses on "you" and communicates an awareness and validation of the pwBPD's feelings. "I can see you're xxxxxx, and I can understand why you might feel that way."

• Truth - an objective statement that focuses on the "it"; realistic and honest assessment of the situation and the pwBPD's role in solving the problem. "This is what will happen."

hurting300

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 09:06:56 PM »

Whatever you do, don't enable or baby her. Remember, she hurt you. Be firm and even handed.

Xidion

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 09:18:14 PM »

Apparently she is coming over tonight. Keep the advice coming on how to talk to her about it. She seems generally interested. She already admitted to sharing the symptoms of BPD. I want to help her.

AwakenedOne

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 10:04:52 PM »

Apparently she is coming over tonight. Keep the advice coming on how to talk to her about it. She seems generally interested. She already admitted to sharing the symptoms of BPD. I want to help her.

My advice to you is to reread what Infern0 said above.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest