Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 06:59:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Separating the person from the disorder  (Read 1219 times)
waverider
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2015, 04:56:37 PM »

Nothing red flag like but there seemed to be something that I couldnt put my finger on. The only thing It felt like was that they were being judged. As if they didnt want to make a wrong choice in case they were thought less of.

This is often the case whenever a pwBPD is in high functioning mode, hence it can come across as being a perfectionist. Fear of being judged is the motivator. Yet at other times they can be oblivious of how out of order they can be.

Sometimes there is a general under current of being out of sync with things. It often reminds me of someone on their first day at work, trying hard to do the right thing, wary of making mistakes, but not yet totally relaxed to just smoothly go with the flow.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2015, 05:07:46 PM »

I dont know it just felt weird. Nothing red flag like but there seemed to be something that I couldnt put my finger on. The only thing It felt like was that they were being judged. As if they didnt want to make a wrong choice in case they were thought less of.

I can understand your line of thinking, enlighten me, I really can.  I've thought that way numerous times myself.  Then it was like, whoa, I'm judging them!  It's okay to be different.  It's okay to look in someone else's cart; shoot, I've ran back for carrots after seeing them in someone else's cart, or tried a new cereal.  Sometimes I get sick of the same old thing and can't think of what it is I really want--  Ooo, that spinach dips looks good, think I'll get some myself.  As long as I'm not taking it out of their cart, no worries Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Then there's the issue of being thought less of... . This will probably be a bit abstract:

I know of a dynamic where the husband makes a good living, $250,000yr.  His wife and mother-in-law have fits(!) because he goes to a convenience store every morning for a pop.  ":)o you know how much money you're wasting?  If you bought those at wholesale store you could save $$$.  It's ridiculous blah blah blah"

This guy is not going to stop getting his morning pop from the store he chooses to get it from.  BUT, if he had a different personality, he might feel really bad about it, taking what wife and mil say on board, feeling like he doesn't live up to their standards (or who knows what ).  If they were to approach him differently about it, maybe he would take what they say on board.  Their approach is to tell him that he's an idiot for spending that kind of money frivolously.  They're judging him and his decisions.  No mention of the great job he's doing being a provider to his family; nitpicking tiny things, making mountains out of molehills.

I believe some of us do that sort of thing to our partners without even realizing it.  We take things we don't agree with or understand and blow them out of proportion.

I think the issue is not that they are being judged but that they fear they are, when they aren't.

In your example a pwBPD may fear being judged as being poor if they weren't making a show of being oblivious to cost. ie being seen to have money to waste is an image of their status and must be maintained. A well balanced person would just do as they wanted as long as it was within their means.

Keeping up an image however does not inherently point to a disorder, many folks rank it as important. I used to, dont now. In fact maybe I make a show of not making a show... Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)... We're all a little crazy

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
enlighten me

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2015, 05:09:22 PM »

That does fit waverider. Like I said couldnt put my finger on it.

Ive started another thread on shopping as I dont want to hijack this one.

Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2015, 05:34:37 PM »

Staff only

This thread has reached its post limit and has been locked. This is a worthwhile topic, and you are free to start a new thread to continue the conversation.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest