Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 06:22:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would others agree with this?  (Read 493 times)
jammo1989

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: January 08, 2015, 10:01:25 AM »

The harder the BPD pushes us away in relation to their complete emotional cut off through the means of complete or abrupt blocking of contact (silent treatment) the more deep their emotional attachment was towards us? in other words the ones that do the complete cut off in terms of blocking and cutting us out of their lives are the ones that loved us the most, or maybe do still love us but the fear of being emotionally reliant on us drove them to run away, would others agree with this statement?  I red somewhere who was BPD said that, they still loved the ones they cut off completely and cutting them off was the only way they could cope with their emotions, and that, when they moved on straight away it wasnt out of spite or to hurt us but to soothe the negative emotions brought on by abandonment.    
Xidion

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 10:07:53 AM »

The harder the BPD pushes us away in relation to their complete emotional cut off through the means of complete or abrupt blocking of contact (silent treatment) the more deep their emotional attachment was towards us? in other words the ones that do the complete cut off in terms of blocking and cutting us out of their lives are the ones that loved us the most, or maybe do still love us but the fear of being emotionally reliant on us drove them to run away, would others agree with this statement?  I red somewhere who was BPD said that, they still loved the ones they cut off completely and cutting them off was the only way they could cope with their emotions, and that, when they moved on straight away it wasnt out of spite or to hurt us but to soothe the negative emotions brought on by abandonment.    

I tend to agree with this. I know my ex loved and still loves me. She isn't a cyborg,  she is still human. Each time she has run away,  she blocks all forms of communication and cuts me off, only to start getting curious a few weeks later. It seems that the more they love you, the more dysfunctional they are with you, since their struggle with love and the emotions it brings is the root of it.

fromheeltoheal

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 10:09:56 AM »

Depends what you mean by love.  Borderlines want to love, just like the rest of us, but the disorder they have creates emotions that make love unsustainable and intolerable.  Very sad when you think about it.  But yes, bailing to get rid of feelings of engulfment, followed by shame along with feelings of abandonment, all feelings too strong to deal with, so the drive that surfaces is the need to find a new attachment, or revive an old one.  It's much more about need, not love.
Deeno02

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 10:17:30 AM »

I dont know dude. I frankly just think they dont give a rats ass. Use you up, on to the next. Thats how I feel about it.
myself

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 10:30:32 AM »

It's much more about need

PwBPD need to stop acting so sh!tty to the people who are close with them, and need to stop being the ones who do so much of the abandoning. They need to read this site, face the damage done, and change their ways.
hope2727

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 10:44:45 AM »

PwBPD need to stop acting so sh!tty to the people who are close with them, and need to stop being the ones who do so much of the abandoning. They need to read this site, face the damage done, and change their ways.

Amen.

Truer words have never been spoken. Anyone what to call mine and tell him that? Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

They also need to stop treating mean, loser friends like princes and good honourable people like trash.
jammo1989

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 10:48:26 AM »

A woman who suffers with BPD said this quote "One thing i can say is this: she still loves you, otherwise she wouldn't have entirely cut you out of her life.  Such a drastic measure is taken in self- preservation, not out of apathy.  I have been in your situation and have come to regret my behavior.  I wished my boyfriend at that time had come to me and said "I understand you are afraid and that you sabotaged the relationship but i forgive you"

With that in mind are they hoping you reach out to them or? I dont know just feeling a bit confused about it, considering these were the words of a BPD woman.
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 11:00:23 AM »

A woman who suffers with BPD said this quote "One thing i can say is this: she still loves you, otherwise she wouldn't have entirely cut you out of her life.  Such a drastic measure is taken in self- preservation, not out of apathy.  I have been in your situation and have come to regret my behavior.  I wished my boyfriend at that time had come to me and said "I understand you are afraid and that you sabotaged the relationship but i forgive you"

With that in mind are they hoping you reach out to them or? I dont know just feeling a bit confused about it, considering these were the words of a BPD woman.

My pwBPD is very self-aware and has told me exactly the same thing.  He explained to me that when he gives me the silent treatment/avoids me, he does it because he cannot cope with the feelings associated with hurting me. Also, he told me that when he is doing this behavior, he wants me to reassure him and reach out to him. It is a total contradiction and absolutely confusing.  

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
Blimblam

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 11:10:05 AM »

This is pretty much the conclusion I have come to.
Blimblam

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 11:13:01 AM »

I think it depends on the individuals and the circumstance.  A pwBPD do tend to recognize the pattern and some don't want to tarnish the way they see you and you see them by devaluing and just leave.  They can't really control it at least not without training.
Deeno02

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 11:13:56 AM »

Wow... mine must hate my effing ass! Im totally removed, except for when I broke NC and got an ass wiping via text... Smiling (click to insert in post)
hope2727

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 11:30:42 AM »

Thats funny that this thread should come up today. I have had the urge to reach out and send him a message of support today. I know I can't but I wish I could. I feel  for his suffering. I don't want him to hurt. I want him to be well and happy. He is such a lovely person when he is well. I wish he could find peace.
Targeted
Formerly CaresAboutSomeoneLikeThis

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 11:32:17 AM »

I agree!

My exGF would block and unblock me on a daily basis depending on her dysregulation, after the break up she would email during the day and then get mad at night and say never contact me again, only to start emailing me again The next morning around 430, I reminded her once that she told me to not contact her any more and she keeps breaking her own rule, she got mad and said you are right and she took full control and did not email me again!  Well at least for about 48 hours!  I asked her why are you doing this? You said that I am all of these rotten things that you hate, why are you still contacting me if you Think of me that way and hate me so much?   She said- because I love you.   Weird huh?

When she said to me nobody will ever love me like she does I hope she's right!

Hope2727- I'll call yours and tell him if you call mine!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
Deeno02

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 11:39:41 AM »

Wow... mine must hate my effing ass! Im totally removed, except for when I broke NC and got an ass wiping via text... Smiling (click to insert in post)

Whipping... .
hope2727

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 11:43:53 AM »

Excerpt
Hope2727- I'll call yours and tell him if you call mine!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

deal!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Like it would ever work out the way we wanted. Thats what so frustrating I suppose. That we are trying to come at this from a logical place and they just can't. We love them, they love us, they have a disorder, it has some effective treatments. Logially we should be able to work through this. But nope. They can't logic with their broken brains. Its all so sad really.
Targeted

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »

BROKEN BRAINS!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

She told me her kids used to say to her- Sometimes your brain don't work so good mama.
Perdita

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: 5 years in

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 11:57:02 AM »

They also need to stop treating mean, loser friends like princes and good honourable people like trash.

WOW Could not have said it any better myself.  Been my experience.
Mr Hollande

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 12:15:29 PM »

My pwBPD is very self-aware and has told me exactly the same thing.  He explained to me that when he gives me the silent treatment/avoids me, he does it because he cannot cope with the feelings associated with hurting me. Also, he told me that when he is doing this behavior, he wants me to reassure him and reach out to him. It is a total contradiction and absolutely confusing.  

That would explain my ex's more and more infrequent contact attempts where my well being is brought up. "How are you feeling?", "I'm glad you seem to be doing OK" etc.

So in your opinion she needs to confirm my well being so she can feel better about her actions and ultimately herself?
Trog

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 12:19:16 PM »

Some of us totally cut the BPD ex out of our lives and went NC. That was indeed self preservation because in my case she hurt me with almost every action. These were not actions of love, they were emotional abuse. You can't be indifferent to someone blowing up your phone with abuse and threats.
fromheeltoheal

Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 12:25:42 PM »

Amen.

Truer words have never been spoken. Anyone what to call mine and tell him that? Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Which are judgements and a desire to control, when radical acceptance of mental illness is easier and more live-and-let-live.  I'm sitting in a coffee shop in a seaside town right now, and there's a guy across the street standing in a plaza having an intense argument with people only he can see; it is not a stretch at all to imagine my ex doing that in a few years, no exaggeration.

Excerpt

And of course losers allow people who don't like themselves very much to feel less ashamed, and honorable people just remind them how worthless they are; pretty easy to see the motivation behind the choices, accepting them is more challenging.

fred6

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 12:29:51 PM »

I don't know if my ex wants me to tell her that. However, I do feel that if I did tell her something like that. She would just play it off and be sarcastic, making me look and feel like a fool. And probably tell me that there is something wrong with me. For some reason my ex acts tough and doesn't accept things that people offer her.
billypilgrim

Relationship status: Separated since 10/2014. Divorce will be finalized 10/2015.

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 12:36:38 PM »

Depends what you mean by love.  Borderlines want to love, just like the rest of us, but the disorder they have creates emotions that make love unsustainable and intolerable.  

Agree completely.  Mine always seemed to say all the cliche things.  She pinned quotes all over the place about love.  I could easily pick out the exact card in the hallmark store that she would gravitate to; the gushiest, wordiest, "sweetest," card in the stacks.  The more over the top, the better.  Even our wedding vows were basically a copy/paste job from other places rather than actually writing her own.  She wanted love very, very badly but the genuine feelings were never there.  Or if they were, they were fleeting.  
Blimblam

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 12:56:38 PM »

Depends what you mean by love.  Borderlines want to love, just like the rest of us, but the disorder they have creates emotions that make love unsustainable and intolerable.  

Agree completely.  Mine always seemed to say all the cliche things.  She pinned quotes all over the place about love.  I could easily pick out the exact card in the hallmark store that she would gravitate to; the gushiest, wordiest, "sweetest," card in the stacks.  The more over the top, the better.  Even our wedding vows were basically a copy/paste job from other places rather than actually writing her own.  She wanted love very, very badly but the genuine feelings were never there.  Or if they were, they were fleeting.  

I always felt my ex like skirting around the feeling like it was more of a longing for than the actual thing and when she did get to that place in herself it was triggering.
Blimblam

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 01:27:07 PM »

I want to add something though

I've had 2 relationships with pwBPD the first one lasted 2.5 years 2 years of it were rocky.  But that girl never trully loved me she got close and she cared about me she idealized me and all of that but I never got to that center in her. 

With my last ex I did and it was triggering for her. She loved me.

I had to come to this within myself and find the answers. 

No one can answer these questions for you. Ultimately that validation has to come from within. The answers are within you.
Targeted

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 04:24:16 PM »

I want to add something though

I've had 2 relationships with pwBPD the first one lasted 2.5 years 2 years of it were rocky.  But that girl never trully loved me she got close and she cared about me she idealized me and all of that but I never got to that center in her. 

With my last ex I did and it was triggering for her. She loved me.

I had to come to this within myself and find the answers. 

No one can answer these questions for you. Ultimately that validation has to come from within. The answers are within you.

I am 100% certain that my ex loved me as well, I have many questions about her actions but whether or not she loved me has never been a question.  But that's why I still have questions!  This disorder is so messed up.
Rise

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 04:49:03 PM »

There's two sides to everything, and I think it depends on the relationship. Sometimes we get pushed away because a person with BPD can't deal with being close, because they feel overwhelmed, or can't cope with the feeling of engulfment. That's what my ex did to me (or at least this is what she expressed during or therapy sessions). Sometimes though, the person with BPD just doesn't want to continue the relationship because they just aren't getting what they need out of it, same thing a normal person does. Just because they have BPD doesn't mean that every relationship would work out if they didn't have BPD.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest