Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 31, 2024, 07:18:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: effects of BPD on non BPD siblings  (Read 373 times)
esmaine

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« on: November 05, 2015, 02:18:18 PM »

Well I thought I was doing ok this week, Havent cried for atleast 4 days then my son who lives abroad and has been very supportive in many ways has now announced that when he comes over this year for xmas he wont be staying with us but would prefer to stay elsewhere as he says the stress levels in our household are spoiling his vacations.  I look forward to him coming home all year and spending xmas as a family is always a joy for me.

Its never beeen a problem for him before and I suspect its because hes in a new relationship and may feel some embarrasment over our situation.  My other son has blocked my daughter on facebook as he is too angry with her over her recent drug taking actions to have any contact.

I just feel so sad right now

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Kate4queen

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 02:23:27 PM »

I know its hard, but I find with my BPD's siblings that I have to acknowledge that they too have been hurt and traumatized by my son's actions and that they have a perfect right to not want to have a relationship with their BPD sibling.

They have a choice. We don'y.

I think I'd be glad that your son is coming to see you and has found a way to make it happen without putting himself in a stressful position. it would be worse if you forced the issue and he refused to come at all, right?

My eldest son won't even be in the same room as my second son who has BPD.
ProfDaddy

Relationship status: remarried, divorced in 2010

formerly Dad6145

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 03:40:07 PM »

I'm seeing the beginning of this with my D14 who has the double whammy of her mother (my ex) being borderline and her 11 year old brother.  She is trying to establish her own identity and stay clear of drama from her mom and S11 (who currently lives at an RTC).  D14 prefers not to see either of them, which is sad.  I visit S11 without D11.  The bright side is that D14 is establishing healthy boundaries and is working on not being attracted to friends who are high drama.  With any luck, she might be able to avoid repeating the cycle in her own choices of friends and partners in life. 
AVR1962

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 07:27:04 PM »

My daughter started displaying issues that I noticed when her father left. She is the oldest and would manipulate her younger siblings into doing her work for her. If she could not manipulate them with bribes or kindness she would then threaten them physically. All of this started very young and she did have control of her younger siblings, she pretty much ran the show. I tried to keep on top of things as much as I could. At one point when she had her driver's license she was taking her younger sister to the bank and having her withdraw money so that she (oldest  daughter) could spend the money.

She had a close bond with her father and she blamed me when he left and I could not do much good in her life after that point. If she got in trouble for something she would run to one of her siblings and tell them what a terrible mom I was. For my stepsons who did not really want to have a stepmom this was a perfect set up and daughter stepsons became her support system.

Younger daughter will have nothing to do with BPD daughter (her sister). Middle daughter knows the issues, she sees the problems and she has tried and at times but then has to go no contact for awhile.

This had pulled our family apart and I feel it mostly has to do with the lies and manipulation. My BPD daughter to play me against he step brothers and vise versa. At this point I am not sure they even realize this.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 08:54:45 PM »

I don't know if you will find quick answers, but you will find adults of BPD siblings on the Coping and Healing board. You may get some feedback there from survivors, with the perspective of age and wisdom.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest