Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 02:08:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's getting worse  (Read 378 times)
bgirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: February 16, 2017, 09:41:41 PM »

So, when I texted him today to remind him I have rehearsal tonight and that the show is Friday and Saturday night, this is what I got in reply - "I would appreciate more than two hours notice that you will be gone the next three nights.". The rehearsals and shows are marked on the calendars, and I had given him the dates before, and even mentioned last week that they were next weekend. 

Then, I came home to a note that reads "You need to upload both church videos ASAP onto YouTube.  People are asking."  Yes, the videos that I was waiting for him to upload to the computer.  So now, he's trying to point out that I'm spending so much time at the theatre that I'm not doing what I'm supposed to be doing.  Not a mention of the fact that I was waiting for him to upload the pictures onto the laptop from his camera.

He's lied before, but this is the most outrageous and obvious twisting of the truth yet.  I'm afraid I can't make this work and that there is no way I will ever love him again.  It's a nightmare.  Thank goodness we have counselling tomorrow, it's great support for me. 

Please, any feedback or support is welcome.  I'm so sad and in complete despair.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

heartandwhole
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 01:57:34 AM »

Hi bgirl,

I'm sorry this has been so upsetting and stressful for you. It's understandable that you feel sadness and wonder if this relationship is going to survive. If you can, try not to make big decisions in a state like this. 

Your theatre work is important to you, so protect that. It might help to reassure your partner that he is important to you, too. Is it possible that he is feeling left out and, in his eyes, "abandoned?" That would trigger a lot of pushback and strategies to get your attention.

How is the communication between you going? The next time he says it's short notice, perhaps you can reply, "Yes, it is only two hours before the show; that is short notice. I've also recorded my schedule on the calendar, and we spoke about this last week." You can offer to create another system of reminders that works for both of you, or simply place the responsibility of looking at the calendar back onto him.

Do you feel guilty/conflicted about spending this time at the theater, bgirl? Here is a great article that might help:

F.O.G.: Fear, Obligation, and Guilt

Let us know how it goes in counseling. 

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
Tiredman40

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 10:42:16 PM »

Bgirl,

I feel your pain. My wife literally tells me what happens in a recent discussion, argument etc. Let me be clear, the truth is retold to me about something I have been involved in. And up til recently the best part after arguing for years one day I started believing her... .she brands me a liar to all of the family / friends and I believed and even supported her.
She even had me actually believe and apologize for her latest affair and honestly i genuinely felt like it was my fault. It slowly over time both completely robbed me of my identity while granting her a measure of control to assert when she felt the need.

That is real reason to be wary of staying, as if you tell someone something enough times and they will believe it. And what's worse it gains momentum, frequency and intensity.

Lastly, being Frank... .I bet you do spend a lot time at the theater, it is a common coping mechanism to push yourself into activities to at some level avoid the problem. I am not saying that is what u r doing. However, if you stop and think about it and find that you are ... it would serve as another strong indicator of the situation.
bgirl

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 10:36:01 PM »

Thanks to everyone who responded!  I don't spend an excessive amount of time at the theatre, but I am certainly not including him in my plans for my leisure time!  We have two young kids, and I pick and choose my time away from them carefully.  Over the summer, I didn't work and took two nights a week for about two months out to do a production.  This time it was five rehearsals total and two performances.  I could spend time without kids with him but I don't.  Because he's too difficult.  And I feel on guard around him.

Our communication sucks and I know I don't help.  When he accuses me of not communicating with him, I feel defensive because he blames so many things on me, I found be it difficult to accept responsibility for things that could be improved but aren't glaringly bad.  I sent him a text reply and he was upset by it.  It wasn't harsh or rude but concise, and I was accused of being rude.  Not, I'm very sensitive to tone, can we talk about it, but that I'm at fault.  After years of being told things are my fault, I find it really hard to accept his feedback graciously.  Does anyone else relate?  He makes me feel crazy, like I shouldn't feel how I do, but after being blamed for so much that wasn't my fault, I just have a hard time accepting his criticism.

God help me.  The counsellor is great and calls him on his ___ in a constructive way.  I feel like she helps me to feel less crazy and still holds me accountable for my part.  I can see her trying to correct his errors of thinking and it's such a relief because those errors are aimed at me.

Boy, I needed this tonight.  Thanks, fam!

B.
gotbushels

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 08:16:39 AM »

Hi bgirl  

Good discussion. I like the part about discussing what's important to you and looking after that, as well as the effect the counsellor is having on your wellbeing.

I too felt on guard around my ex. Not so much in the sense of a guard against her, but more about looking at everything to see that things don't set her off. My ex dysregulated regularly, sometimes violently, and contrary to what could be a "good day"--so my state was often like carrying a blanket everywhere to put out fire. You're not alone on this one.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

For now, I hope to help by offering that this blanket felt like paper at first, but when I started to get better at handling my partner effectively, the blanket became durable and effective too. Her tantrums started losing large amounts of their power.

Well done on seeing that the communication between the two of you leaves lots to be desired, and that it's not all on you. This is especially difficult to distinguish when being blamed or FOGged-out. Yes, I do think I relate on your described change in how you treat his feedback. After some time of being blamed heaps for things, we may actually start to question how far we've drifted from reality in these relationships. I think when this person makes you feel crazy, when you start to doubt the validity of your feelings, it causes you to sink deeper into uncertainty. It may cause you to lose touch with your sense of self.

So what helps here? I think it's coming to terms and accepting that BPD traits cause a lot of false accusations. Some people phrase this as the non coming to terms with an idea; the idea that what the pwBPD says is completely unrelated to the dialogue or the relationship itself. It's weird because how can content be so disconnected from what is actually underneath? That is also to say, it existed before your relationship did.

If you can accept this, I think it makes it much easier to accept a criticism, but without consenting to it, and without showing your disagreement of it. Acceptance here will mean simply that something is causing your partner to criticise, and allowing it to occur without feeling an urge to react on it or give in to defending your position. It's hard to do, but I think it's very, very worth it. Recall that acceptance does not equal consent.

E.g., if my ex says, "It's because of you that we fight so much". To me, I know roughly that her BPD traits are causing repeated--often circular--criticisms. I accept that she may express this for some reason. It can be an array of things (flight from pain). It can change over time (drifting sense of reality). I can simply see that relationships are not 1+0, but 1+1. I don't try and teach her this. I just let it be. Then I can choose my response. Over time, this becomes quite automatic. To me that's hopeful because it doesn't take as much effort. It ends up being, "OK, this is a dysreg" → mindful myself: OK → "which response do I want now".

I hope you'll comment on FOG as heartandwhole suggested.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Oh... .I like your focus on accountability of your own stuff.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest