Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 12:32:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "Human Being" Defense  (Read 421 times)
Violettine

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« on: May 14, 2017, 07:27:37 PM »

Has anyone ever been hit with "mixed bag," "human being," "only human," "ups and downs" type excuses from people who may have seen a glimpse of the BP behavior but not the full monte, if you will?
"They're a mixed bag--a human being" could be code for "get over it" or "what do you expect?" or "it's only natural."
Yes, we're all "human beings" but if my bipolar had been brushed off as just a "human being" thing, I wouldn't have gotten treatment (just an example).
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Doughboy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 08:41:03 PM »

If I am getting the jist of what you are describing then yes I have.  My experience has been that Family and friends of the uBPD exFiance is that they just say 'that is how she is" or "she has always been that way" or "She will make do... .she always does".  My favorite is when her Mother blames the abuse from a 2 yr marriage to an abusive 2nd husband for things that have gone on for 25-30 years... .

I have come to decide, based on others input, that they are all either worn out from, in denial, or it hits to close to home as the reason for it may be something attached to the family past.

It is very frustrating for me and I ma sure you feel that way also.
Violettine

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 10:06:38 PM »

Right.
It is a mindf*ck to experience what seems like the most caring partner in the world and the next day to be on the receiving end of their (public and private) yelling and criticisms/humiliation. To hear "they're only human" or "sounds just like love" is minimizing a very serious problem.

If I am getting the jist of what you are describing then yes I have. 
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 03:05:13 AM »

Its not the issue at hand that is the problem when living with BPD relationships. It is the ongoing bigger picture. You have to be on the inside to see that, even more so if your reactions are public. Then it is seen as tit for tat

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
talking rose

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 01:05:28 AM »

My BPD husband (undiagnosed) uses the "but i'm human" defense all the time, including after physical violence.  the implication is that it's my fault for triggering his human-ness.  it is minimizing, invalidating, and blaming.
Portent

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 01:37:46 AM »

Thats just the way I am was my exBPD's excuse.
louisiana77

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 01:09:52 PM »

I've both used and heard the "only human" explanation, and, in my experience, it's a really broad and almost impossible to categorize. I think it serves well when forgiving one's self or another for dropping the peanut butter jar on the newly mopped floor, but it's cold comfort when it's used as an excuse for abuse. That's the question I usually have to ask myself or others: "Is this being used to justify a mistake, or to justify abuse." In Talking Rose's case, or in any of physical abuse, it's the latter. My partner and I, who've both been guilty of pushing and hitting, are currently being seen by a therapist who's told us, in no uncertain terms, that any physical abuse will be cause for the termination of our work with her, and that there's no way to work on any emotional or psychological issues while physical confrontation or abuse is going on. Without violating the rules of this page, TR, or highjacking the discussion Violettine began, I'd urge you to take whatever steps you need to take in order to secure your physical safety, and not to confuse those steps with ending the relationship. And V, feel free to try my question on for size next time you hear someone say they're "only human." We all are, after all, and we need to forgive ourselves our f-ups, but only if we can also take others' feelings into consideration.
Violettine

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 08:08:45 PM »

Yes, it was used to justify abuse in this case, although not physical. No excuse for abuse! Granted, we can't all be cats  but let's not use a line that's tantamount to "I'm just being honest" while proceeding to humiliate. "Only human" doesn't let us rise to fully embody our humanity.
Portent

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 11:26:36 AM »

While I'm delving into sexism here the best explanation I have heard for BPD being more prevalent in women is that the same conditions tend to cause anti-social personality disorder to manifest in men rather than BPD. In short women due to being the weaker sex will tend towards being verbally and emotionally abusive (BPD) men being the stronger sex will tend more towards being physically abusive (ASPD)

Men with ASPD tend to be wife beaters and they use the same excuses for the physical abuse that BPDs use for the verbal and emotional abuse. Those excuses do not fly for physical abuse and they shouldn't fly for verbal and emotional abuse either. There is no excuse for abuse.
Violettine

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 01:04:56 PM »

Well, individual men and women can be weak or strong, and now experts are finding BPD is about equal gender-wise, but yeah--no excuse.

While I'm delving into sexism here the best explanation I have heard for BPD being more prevalent in women is that the same conditions tend to cause anti-social personality disorder to manifest in men rather than BPD. In short women due to being the weaker sex will tend towards being verbally and emotionally abusive (BPD) men being the stronger sex will tend more towards being physically abusive (ASPD)

Men with ASPD tend to be wife beaters and they use the same excuses for the physical abuse that BPDs use for the verbal and emotional abuse. Those excuses do not fly for physical abuse and they shouldn't fly for verbal and emotional abuse either. There is no excuse for abuse.
Keepingreal

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 02:35:21 PM »

For awhile after being diagnosed, my pwBPD tried to use his diagnosis to *not* get treatment; after a ranting or rage episode, after the crying / victimized phase, if I tried to talk about how these incidents were a big reason he needed treatment, he would say, "But this is my *personality.* They can't *cure* it; this is just who I am." Ugh.
Violettine

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 02:07:57 PM »

PD is not the whole person. That's like me saying I don't have to treat my depression and I can go ahead and depend on others to attend to my needs because "that's just the way I am."

was
Thats just the way I am was my exBPD's excuse.
Violettine

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 02:12:12 PM »

It takes a lot for me to react in public, but I know what you mean. They can gaslight by letting others believe you're the irrational one.

Its not the issue at hand that is the problem when living with BPD relationships. It is the ongoing bigger picture. You have to be on the inside to see that, even more so if your reactions are public. Then it is seen as tit for tat
Violettine

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 02:20:08 PM »

BS. The personality is not the personality pathology--ask Yeomans, Zanarini, Fonagy, almost any expert who counts now. Tell him to look up “the good-prognosis diagnosis.”

For awhile after being diagnosed, my pwBPD tried to use his diagnosis to *not* get treatment; after a ranting or rage episode, after the crying / victimized phase, if I tried to talk about how these incidents were a big reason he needed treatment, he would say, "But this is my *personality.* They can't *cure* it; this is just who I am." Ugh.
Keepingreal

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »

Yes, definitely bs. He has spend almost a year pretending this diagnosis isn't real.
Violettine

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 11:38:46 PM »

Yes, definitely bs. He has spend almost a year pretending this diagnosis isn't real.
It sounds like a conspiracy theory. LOL. BPD isn't real. :/
waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 02:50:13 AM »

It sounds like a conspiracy theory. LOL. BPD isn't real. :/

Unfortunately once they have accepted it they struggle to get others to believe it is real. Constantly being told they are just making up fancy terms to excuse being silly/lazy and they should just make more effort to pull their socks up. Even "its all in your mind"

The only people who seem to appreciate it as being real is the nons who have to with it.

bananas2
Formerly OnceHadMoxie

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 10:20:45 AM »

My BPDh will often give me the "I'm only human & human's make mistakes sometimes." I always counter with "Yes, they do, but the idea is to learn from the mistake, correct it, and then make changes to make sure it doesn't happen again." He'll usually end up agreeing with me at the time, but then go on to make the same "mistake" again - repeatedly, bc he reverts back to the same behavior that caused the "mistake." 
Along these lines, while we were visiting my elderly father this past weekend, I told my father that last year BPDh had totaled my car bc he was texting and driving (also damaged another car - no injuries fortunately). When my father told BPD hub, "At least you learned your lesson & don't text & drive anymore," I explained that he does still text & drive. My father absolutely reamed him - even asked, "How stupid can you be that you haven't learned your lesson & keep doing the same thing?" It was incredibly satisfying to finally witness someone (besides myself) call him out on his behavior.

BPD is like a banana peel awaiting its victim.
waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 06:54:53 PM »

My father absolutely reamed him - even asked, "How stupid can you be that you haven't learned your lesson & keep doing the same thing?" It was incredibly satisfying to finally witness someone (besides myself) call him out on his behavior.

And it still will make no difference... .

Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 10:14:23 AM »

The idea that nobody is perfect, and he, too, is a flawed human being like the rest of us, yourself included is true.

That truth can be used deceptively and unfairly to get out of responsibility for his actions:

It would be a reasonable / fair defense if you were painting him black and telling him that he's a horrible person. (I'm assuming that you weren't doing this... .)

If instead, you were talking about how his specific behavior was hurtful, abusive, and is unacceptable, then it is a straw man argument, which he uses to get around taking any responsibility for his actions.

That said, calling him on this probably won't help--instead consider it to be a "clue" that he's in a mood where he won't acknowledge what he did to you, or be willing/able to change it. At least not now.

Take the hint and end the conversation.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest