Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 03:14:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Our abuse recovery guide
Survivor to Thriver | Free download.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD Sense of Humor?  (Read 784 times)
Avriel

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« on: June 22, 2017, 10:54:33 AM »

Just wondering... .how do most BPDs handle humor? My unBPD sister tends to think that most people have a "juvenile" sense of humor. She claims her sense of humor is "witty." I don't really see that--at least, her more innocent jokes aren't what I would consider witty, or normally even funny. And she has a tendency to say harsh/cynical or passive-aggressive things and then claim they were jokes if anyone questions her. Sometimes it seems as though she's not sure whether she's serious or not, but it's hard to tell. Is it typical for BPDs to have a sense of humor that is slightly "off"?
Sunfl0wer
`

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 11:32:55 AM »

My sis's general perception is a wee bit off from the rest of folks, so yea, sometimes her humor demonstrates that.  

Or other stuff demo that:  
She thinks she can sing, wow, she soo cannot!  Maybe she hears herself different than the rest of us?

Back to humor:
Sometimes I would catch my sis trying to get folks to laugh with her on certain not funny things, sorta as a way of validation I guess.

Sometimes she laughs when she is nervous so will be laughing at really awful, horrific stuff, when folks get harmed.  She literally will tell you she thinks it was so absurd or horrible that it was funny.  Yet other times, when I confronted her, like why did you laugh when I gashed my arm open?  She will tell me she was nervous and felt if she laughed, it could help the situation not be so serious.

So I guess sometimes, she uses the feelings=facts to lighten the severity of stuff thta is severe, which imo, NOT funny or helpful.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 11:37:06 AM »

I've never seen anything that would classify a type of humor with BPD. But my H thinks he is being funny when he is actually just being mean or making sarcastic statements (but not in a sarcastic tone so it just sounds like he is complaining or being mean).

He does this thing where he says something mean, and we he doesn't get a laugh out of it, he doesn't understand why no one got the joke. He says is removing all affect from his face when he says the statement and it's the removal of affect that makes it funny. I never see the facial change that he says is there.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Peacefromwithin

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 02:58:14 PM »

One of my uBPD/NPD siblings has a very cruel sense of humor. I'm not even sure how to describe it. She also laughs at extremely inappropriate times, and rationalizes this by saying it's a nervous laughter that she developed from an early age and can't help it.

She also thinks she's witty and has an intelligent type of humor, but it's downright cruel.

My uBPD/NPD's humor is similar, although more biting, evil, and sardonic in nature. They both use humor to hurt, and hide behind it by saying they're only joking and I'm being too sensitive.

I have a friend I've often thought has BPD traits. She has an extremely sarcastic sense of humor that she thinks only intelligent enough people get.

On the subject of humor... .I have a very dry sense of humor. I certainly hope that's not a flea, is it?
pandapopolous

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 01:09:47 PM »

My uBPD SIL has a very juvenile sense of humour, but she's very juvenile in general and also not very intelligent so that's not surprising (not saying that to be mean, she genuinely isn't very bright). She is a bit sadistic with it as well and finds it extremely funny when people get hurt or if the humour is racist, misogynistic, or just 'punching down' in general. The one exception to this is jokes about Jewish people, which she considers extremely offensive because she identifies as half Jewish. She laughs at her own children when they get hurt and has always done this to children in her care as long as I've known her (she was a nanny when she was in her early 20s). There have been a few instances where she has made humiliating me the object of a 'joke' that she alone found absolutely hilarious, including once where she sat down with a photo of me and laughed herself sick while making comments about how much I apparently looked like a man in the picture. Very funny indeed.
Insom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:21:58 AM »

My BPD-ex had a finely tuned sense of irony and I'd describe his sense of humor as wry or sarcastic.  He was also genuinely witty.  I enjoyed the word play but not the sarcasm (though I suppose they were intertwined). 

LittleBlueTruck

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 03:34:15 AM »

My undiagnosed mom has always reacted very bizarrely to humor. If I say something funny, she will slowly repeat it and go on at length saying "oh yes, that is very witty. You are a force to be reckoned with... ." or something equally stilted and super uncomfortable. It has always really embarrassed me. My siblings are really funny people and any time we all get together, our communal laughter makes her very uncomfortable. I think it makes her paranoid and she always thinks we're laughing at her. When she tries to be funny, it is sometimes witty but oftentimes too harsh and cutting.

I feel guilty even writing this! Like it is degrading to her. But yes - have noticed this my entire life.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest