Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 06:26:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I just realized why my marriage has been so difficult  (Read 359 times)
SoulSick
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 13, 2017, 09:46:29 PM »

I have been married for 27 years. The verbal and emotional abuse has escalated over the past few years. I am continually being accused of having affairs, not giving enough and being the soul cause of our last three business venture failures.  My loyalty has gone unacknowledged and i feel I can no longer absorb this behavior. We have an eleven year old daughter that is beginning to show signs of stress and anxiety. I'm not even sure what I can get from this community, but I'm here to find out.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

snowglobe

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:55:27 PM »

Hello @Soulsick, welcome!
You will find that majority of people on this forum share silmilar experiences and struggles that you are going through. Please, tell us a little more about your husband. Has he been identified, did you seek any type of treatment, what is your current setuation?

“Aimer, ce n’est pas se regarder l’un l’autre, c’est regarder ensemble dans la même direction.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:16:18 AM »

Hi Soulsick,

I'm sorry that you are having difficulties in your marriage. YOu'll find lots of support and advice here. Accusations and blaming are pretty common in someone with BPD. It's frustrating because you know the truth and there is nothing you can say or do to convince them otherwise. One thing I've learned is that just validating their feelings (not their accusation) and not trying to justify, apologize, defend, or explain myself makes all the difference in the world.

How do you respond to his accusation? How has that response worked for you?

When my H throws out an accusation that I'm having an affair, I will simply state: "I know it's scary to have worries about me cheating, but I want you to know that I love you and I'm not having an affair. I want to understand what you're feeling right now. Could you share a little more about what has brought on your concern?"

We have a lot of great workshops on the right side of the page that can help you learn new ways of communicating with your pwBPD. To get you started here is a link to one of our workshops on Stop Accusation & Blaming

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Radcliff
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 03:29:15 AM »

I'm not even sure what I can get from this community, but I'm here to find out.

OK, well, you pretty much nailed it, Soulsick, it's a community!  You will find support, understanding, and help learning how to improve things.  Become a regular on the board, reading the posts of others, seeing what they have in common with you, and replying to them.  Become a part of the community.

I wanted to share with you some of the stages I went through when I first arrived here:

1.  Venting and receiving empathy
2.  Getting facts and getting my bearings ("What the heck is going on?"
3.  Learning and changing some of my behaviors to make things better

I think most of us go through those stages, and in fact I think we go through them again if things go off the rails or we encounter a new problem.  I was amazed that after a couple of decades of marriage, this old dog could learn new tricks that helped make things better.  Not "all better," for sure, but enough of an improvement to be well worth the effort.  I can give examples, but don't want to distract from the good questions asked by Snowglobe and Tattered Heart.  Why don't you start with those and help us get to know you better?

Wentworth
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest