Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 02:42:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wait for it - the little things are BIG  (Read 479 times)
bluek9

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

we are full of color

« on: February 23, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »

Yesterday after learning school was cancelled due to weather I had to leave my JJ home with his BPD mother (something that hasn't been done for over 2 months). I came home from a very long exhausting day to find the house trashed(to which I didn't respond) knowing the housekeeper was coming in the morning, JJ over stimulated because his mother forgot his afternoon meds. and had to make dinner for all of us. After calming JJ down and giving him his meds. I proceeded to start dinner. My BPDD 35 came in and started questioning me about money, did I have any, did she have any in her account. When I asked why she said "well, I've been home all day alone listening to the noise, dealing with JJ and I haven't had any cigarettes. You have no idea how bad my day has been"! I simply asked if she could wait until I was done making dinner. She got that LOOK, that TONE in her voice, she started to cry then stormed off slamming the front door.
       I stood, I waited, I breathed, I knew a melt down was coming. All of a sudden she came in stood right in front of me and said "I'm sorry can we start over" then she asked me about my day and why it was so tuff for me. Shared with me how having JJ home all day was so much hared than she thought it would be. HOLY COW! I was so proud of her, amazed, I was blown away. Such a tiny little thing as starting over, I can't even explain how much of a BIG DEAL this is for her. It's a first ever. The amount of self regulation she showed was amazing. She didn't get her way to cigarettes by pestering me, and she didn't have to have a melt down to be heard.
      I have to share this with who ever reads this post. There is always hope, there can always be progress, baby steps. Long, long waited for progress. I can only attribute this to the new skills I've been using, some of the many tips and techniques I've found on this board.
      Sometimes it's the little things that can mean so much. I'm thankful for those little things.

H:healing, O:options, PE:positive encouragement
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Huat

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 12:45:43 PM »

Omigawd, Bluek9!  I have tears in my eyes reading your post!  What strength and patience you have shown in dealing with your daughter.  It shows, too, the strength that is within your daughter (inherited from you!) as she battles her way through this terrible disease.

Thank you for sharing this because it is, indeed, important for the rest to read/see these snippets-of-sunshine.   

From one Grandmother to another... .a hug !

Huat
JustYouWait

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 02:54:30 PM »

So happy for you!

I have my own story to tell about the little things, and I'll post it a little later, but I'm still riding high from our family session yesterday AM.

MomMae

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 03:25:51 PM »

What a great post, Bluek9!  Thank you for sharing... .and I too, am so happy for you!  You did awesome by not reacting to your daughter, even though you yourself were exhausted after a long day and coming home to a mess!

Posts like this gives hope to others!  We only have the power to change ourselves, but sometimes the changes we make in ourselves can be just the impetus needed to spur change in our pwBPD.  Like you, I saw positive change in my BPD DD21 only after I found this site, learned new skills and started to implement them.  We have now moved out of a prolonged very dark period, into a peaceful, respectful and even loving relationship. 

MM

bluek9

we are full of color

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 04:02:36 PM »

THANK YOU ALL! The boost to myself that I get from being here comes from all the feed back and positive input I receive. Thanks Huat for recognizing the strength in both of us. Yes she did get it from me, and yes it shows me how great I know she is underneath all she deals with. And thanks for the grandma hug. My JJ calls me GG because when I got him back at age 2 he wasn't verbal and couldn't say grandma, all that came out was GG. JYW, I'll be anxious to hear about what has you feeling so good, must have been something really good. And MM just how long has that peaceful period been? I'm curious if you don't mind me asking. Right now we are at 8 weeks and counting.

H:healing, O:options, PE:positive encouragement
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 08:47:28 PM »

Hi Bluek9!

What an awesome moment and thank you for staying present and steady and solid.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Clapping for you! It truly is the moment by moment victories that are often the biggest. They'll keep coming.

Rejoice!

Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
MomMae

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 09:31:05 AM »

Excerpt
And MM just how long has that peaceful period been? I'm curious if you don't mind me asking. Right now we are at 8 weeks and counting.

BlueK9 - that is great news that you are at 8 weeks and counting!  It takes patience and determination and sometimes a very firm hold on the tongue, but it is possible for things to improve, isn't it?

Unbelievably, this peaceful period with my BPD DD21 has been going on for 7-8 months and has survived some very stressful situations that easily could have escalated into full blown crises had I not been using the skills I learned here... .and felt the understanding from all the wonderful people here, especially two very special friends I met on this board.  These crises included two unplanned pregnancies, one ending in a traumatic miscarriage and the other in termination.

Truthfully, when I think about where we were a year ago, I am amazed we survived.  She was living in a garage, in the middle of nowhere with her gross pothead boyfriend and we were in very low contact.  When we did have contact, it usually did not go well at all, to say the least.  She is now living in an apartment very close to us with the same BF who is also turning his life around, in what can be only described as a snowball or domino effect of what I have learned and implemented since joining this forum. 

I still walk on eggshells with DD and I probably always will, that is just the way it is.  I have had to learn to let go of many dreams and embrace radical acceptance.  But I have my daughter back... .and she knows she can turn to me when she needs to and I will be there using the skills I learned here.   

heartandwhole
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 10:48:31 AM »

bluek9,

This post made my day.  Smiling (click to insert in post) What wonderful news—kudos to you and your daughter!

Indeed, small moments are actually HUGE. It shows what is possible when we have the courage to risk change and growth. And how we are so connected, because as we change our behavior, the people around us often do, too.

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 11:14:32 AM »

Wow, this is brilliant news bluek9, can we start this conversation again, YOU BET  Being cool (click to insert in post)

You are right the little things are BIG, and what I recognised with my DD there was so much 'hard work' going on in the background that I could not 'see', if that makes sense. 

I'm am so happy for you, you are doing great, keep on trucking bluek9  Bullet: contents of text or email (click to insert in post)

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 11:22:31 AM »

It is inspiring to read good news breakthroughs.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest