Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 07:08:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mother Now In Skilled Care Facility Permanently (Continued)  (Read 2777 times)
Harri
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2018, 10:10:58 AM »

I would think they would tell you what to do but, being always suspicious of health facilities and insurance companies, I would trust them to focus on what is in their best interest, not mine (yours or your moms).  Cynical of me?  yes!  Realistic?  I hope not.  Sorry, not being much help here.  Just keep being careful!  Ask questions.  Sign nothing.  Keep throwing the ball back in their court as you have been doing. 

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2018, 12:35:06 AM »

The nursing supervisor called me this afternoon.  They want my permission to put my mom on a mood stabilizer.  I asked what was going on.  To keep her from lashing out and yelling.  I wish I were closer.  I think I could help,  maybe.  The current plan after the aborted trip last month is to drive up there with my kids the weekend after mother's day,  so in two weekends.  My sure what to expect, but I'll get my kids out of there quickly if it's bad.  I like to think it won't be based upon our last visit,  but I can't expect that. 

I'm not anxious, just sad. I'm also sad for my kids, but they have good memories of her from when she lived with us.  Unlike my mom who easy overshared when I was little and beyond,  I won't shatter their view of her by telling them age-inappropriate truths. No way in hell will I place that burden upon them. 

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Kwamina
Retired Staff

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2018, 01:41:10 PM »

Hi Wolfish

Monitoring things from afar can be difficult. Did the nursing supervisor also mention to whom your mother is lashing out and yelling? Did this happen after your mother fell and hit her head or did something (else) perhaps happen in the nursing home which might have triggered her?

I'm not anxious, just sad. I'm also sad for my kids, but they have good memories of her from when she lived with us.

Yep, and like I said back then, what you did by taking your mother in was very important. Not only did you quite literally probably saved her life by getting her out there before the extreme cold hit, you also gave your little ones the chance to have lasting memories of their grandmother. And there's also the little Chihuahua of course Smiling (click to insert in post) You mentioned before still looking for a sense of family, but at least for your little ones you created a sense of family here

The Board Parrot

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2018, 05:50:00 PM »

Excerpt
I wish I were closer.  I think I could help,  maybe.

I too wish you were closer as it would be easier for you in terms of time and peace of mind.  You said you think you might be able to help.  Help with what?

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 09:01:13 PM »

I didn't ask for specifics. I should have. 

I could help by visiting more so my mom wouldn't feel so abandoned. I didn't emancipate myself at 16 and be independent my whole life only to be stuck in a home with no freedom.  I can't imagine how she feels.  I certainly wouldn't like it. 

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 11:03:35 AM »

Okay, I understand you wanting to help with that.  I too can't imagine being in a nursing home after being so fiercely independent for so long.  Your mom certainly was/is a fighter and strong in so many ways.  Remarkable really.  One note, and you can tell me to shut it, she is not "stuck" in a home even tho she may feel like that.  She is where she needs to be at this point in her life. 

Does she have room for personal belongings?  If she doesn't already have one, how about a picture of you with your kids that she can have close?  Phone calls?  Is she good with technology?  Would she be able to do skype calls with you and the kids?  The kids can draw pictures and snail mail them to her.  it would be a lovely surprise for her.

None of those things will necessarily help completely but they might help her feel less cut off until she can maybe be moved closer. 

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2018, 11:50:06 AM »

My mom was a technology waif in the best of times.  She fled a local class given by a guy who "could train anybody" and specialized with the elderly.  My mom's BPD didn't help. 

I had thought about bringing pictures of the kids.  Good idea.

Kwamina
Retired Staff

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 01:03:26 PM »

If she doesn't already have one, how about a picture of you with your kids that she can have close?

That's a great idea indeed! Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

If things go well, maybe you could also make a family foto of you, your kids and your mom together. Three generations of the wolf pack Smiling (click to insert in post)

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2018, 01:26:30 PM »

LOL at technology waif!  Oh how I wish I could go in a nursing home and volunteer to help the folks make skype calls to their family!  I wonder if the activities director would hire me?  haha

I definitely like Parrots idea of a generational photo!  :)efinitely though make sure you include yourself in whatever picture you bring!   What about music she can listen to?  Maybe not an ipod but if you could find a cd player or something she may have used long ago?  I know music can do wonders with the moods of elderly people... .anyone really.  

Okay, I am going to stop before I go overboard with suggestions!  

Don't poke the wolf!

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest