Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 04:00:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neither of us is emotionally healthy and I will never get my own needs met  (Read 1587 times)
MaybeMaybeNot

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2018, 03:22:44 PM »

I think I have to agree. How ironic, All that time I did everything I can to make her see that she is lovable. And when I was trying to do that, I became very controlling by myself. This the dark truth behind "white knight syndrome". Right now I am reading a book "Losing control, finding serenity: how the need to control hurts us and how to let it go".

And by the way, all of this is a very strong remainder of what I have experienced with ayahuasca and shamans in Amazonian jungle. For those of you who are not familiar with it: Ayahuasca is a hallusinogenic drink the indigenous healers use for asking guidance and healing from their spirit allies. And this drink will make you lose control completely. And it is terrifying, because when you lose the control you have to face your own death. The shamans call this "little death", the death of false self.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

tiny Monster
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2018, 07:07:42 PM »

Hey Maybe,

Thank YOU for sharing. I only joined this support group last night and I can't express how much comfort it brings (kind of a sad, selfish comfort I suppose) to hear other's stories laid out so genuinely, vulnerably, and the validation that their connecting points bring me. So thank you. For sharing your pain. For being honest. For being here.
I've been with my partner for 4 years and even after all these years of trying and trying and TRYING to understand where his head goes and why... I still feel very left in the dark... most of the time. If I'm ever "successful" in our progress, it feels like a lucky gamble. Most of the time I feel like I'm failing and the triggers can be so inconsistent, I never feel like I'm learning from my mistakes. I never understand what I did right when things go well, or how I've effed up when things start falling apart. I, like you, recognize I have my own demons I'm fighting and that our demons together only aggravate the situation to something that feels impossible to mend. I want you to know how important it is that you recognize we affect others just as much as they affect us. It's important, and all we can do is try to be better within ourselves to be better partners for the ones we love... That kind of effort isn't always reciprocated, but it doesn't mean we should ever stop trying.

Something that you said that really drove it home for me...
 "Of course I still care about her. Unfortunately she sees me "perfect" or "a person who only cares about himself". I do not think there are any gray area."
My partner has unintentionally played the same head-tripping spins on me... One moment I am an amazing woman that he can't imagine being without, that he could never find anyone to love and support him like I do, and that he doesn't deserve me- as he's said in his own words, he's breaking me. And then in another moment, I am smothering, suffocating, clingy and far too focused on him- that he can't stand the pressure my happiness puts on him- that his downward spirals shouldn't make me so upset... But that's bs. If I care about you, why wouldn't it make me sad that you are sad? I worked with my partner for a painfully long time to understand that the world doesn't really work in black and whites. But it is his natural mindset to be on either end of the extremes. Which has been difficult for me because I learned so early on (probably about 4years old) that the whole world is shades of gray. And it's been an uphill battle to try and get him to see this perspective. I am living in a gray area with him now (which isn't exactly great for me) but it seems to have stabilized him some and we are chipping away at our issues, making slow slow progress everyday.
 "When I think about that all of the people in this world she hates herself the most I become sad. I mean really sad. And there is nothing I can do. So, I will just leave her alone and hope all the best for her."
My partner is a little less in denial about his issues and how his head warps reality, so he has been able, on a few occasions, to say just this "I love you, but I hate myself." This is the simplest summary for why we break the way we do. And I care so much for him, it breaks my heart that his heart is broken. Deeply broken. And there is nothing I can do to help him. All I have to give is love. Love and space. Even loving from a distance can be helpful for them. I am giving my love more space than I am secure with- it's really been plaguing my own demons to come alive in full force, but I'm trying to take this as an opportunity to grow through the pain. You are right- there is nothing we can do to fix them for them. Just support and love as humans are bound to do. And trying to love and support ourselves through this struggle too, even if that means walking away sometimes.

Thank you again for your story. It has brought me some dose of comfort, and I hope some of my story helps you feel less lost and alone
MaybeMaybeNot

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2018, 01:26:12 AM »

Hello TinyMonster! Im happy that my story made you feel better so thank you for your kind words! I am not sure if this woman has BPD, so I decided to write my story to see if people who know that their partner has BPD find my story somehow similar to theirs.
MaybeMaybeNot

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2018, 04:05:56 PM »

I talked with a different psychotherapist about this issue today. Unfortunately he confirmed that my instincts were most likely right, and I am not paranoid as I have been thinking at times. The one I am working with told me the same thing. Apparently I needed an opinion from many different professionals before I was ready to face the truth. Now I want to cut all the ties. I have blocked her in everything, and may the divine forces protect me so I have never, ever have to meet person like she again. I know it sounds harsh, but I have right to decide who I let in my life. I hope her all the best.  And I am not even sad anymore, because now I know that in reality I did not lost anything but my own fantasy.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest