Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 04:12:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is up with the 5-6 month mark?  (Read 1486 times)
1stTimer

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2018, 04:05:37 PM »

In a sense, there may be elements of this with your newest friend. Think about it.

Can you clarify this i.e. what elements with my new friend you believe I should give some thought have common with my "old friend"? If that is what you are saying?
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2018, 04:45:34 PM »

i dont think Skip is talking about your new or your ex partner.

he is talking about your side of the relationship. in addition to any of the things one normally seeks in relationships such as companionship, giving , sharing, we can make the mistake of trying to reestablish our self-image and self-worth via teh relationship. when we tie our self-image and self-worth to another person, it's risky because if they reject us, we lose a relationship and our self.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
1stTimer

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2018, 07:39:33 PM »

i dont think Skip is talking about your new or your ex partner.

he is talking about your side of the relationship. in addition to any of the things one normally seeks in relationships such as companionship, giving , sharing, we can make the mistake of trying to reestablish our self-image and self-worth via teh relationship. when we tie our self-image and self-worth to another person, it's risky because if they reject us, we lose a relationship and our self.
Understood. The thing is OR, I never tried to do that before in my life, and always studiously avoided relationships when thing weren't going well in order to feel better, happier or better about myself. I reject the entire notion of 'you complete me'. I even said to the BPD girl when I met her, as one of my reasons to NOT date her is that i don't like to date when things aren't going well because dating isn't about making me feel better it is about bringing my better parts to someone and vice-versa. Yeah I eventually got sucked into just that with her and paid the price for it. One lesson I learned from it. And part of that lesson was to find my direction and self-again (and not tie it into being the BEST or having the BIGGEST success).

New girl is not about healing or self-image or self-worth or at least it is not about gaining that from her. As I see it I found or started to find those again and voila! there she was because I could see her and she could see me. Which is what it was always like before and one reason I am happy about where I am. It doesn't make me feel happy because I am with her I am with her because I am happy. If that makes any sense.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest