Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 02:26:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Local Support Groups or Therapists  (Read 322 times)
Reina1
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: November 15, 2018, 12:27:58 AM »

Hello, everyone. I am new on this site, and new to processing the fact that my ex very likely suffered from BPD. Like many of you, I didn't know much about BPD before this, but as soon as I began reading, the puzzle pieces began to slip into place, and sorrow began to rise in waves. I was already mourning the loss of our relationship (though I chose to end it) - and now, suddenly I feel like I have to go back and mourn all over again - only this second loss involves revisiting all of our memories through a new lense and losing the idealized version of our relationship I used to believe.

Anyway - though this site has been helpful, I would really like to find a local support group, or therapist who specializes in BPD, to have a safe place where I don't have to mourn alone - and to learn about myself, and the ways in which I was open to the particular flavor of emotional manipulation my ex used to control situations.

I live near Portland Oregon - does anybody know of resources in this area?

Thanks!
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 12:40:08 AM »

hi Reina1 and Welcome

Like many of you, I didn't know much about BPD before this, but as soon as I began reading, the puzzle pieces began to slip into place, and sorrow began to rise in waves.

that was certainly me! on one hand, theres an indescribable relief that there is a label for what weve experienced, there are answers and explanations to our questions, and on the other... .it can leave us with more questions. its a lot to take in.

im glad you reached out, and i hope that youll stick around, and make yourself at home as part of the family here. ive been here for several years myself, and while i processed the relationship many years ago, im still learning and applying invaluable lessons from it that will be with me for life.

Anyway - though this site has been helpful, I would really like to find a local support group, or therapist who specializes in BPD, to have a safe place

bpdfamily is a great adjunct to a professional therapeutic relationship, and finding a good therapist with an understanding of what youve experienced comes highly recommended.

a good place to start is here: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists

you can screen for qualifications/specialities in your area.

i hope youll tell us more about what brought you here and how we can best support you. how long were the two of you together? you mentioned you initiated the breakup between the two of you, what happened?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
jukeboxhero

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 03:49:45 PM »

try looking for any of the following support groups: Codependant's Anonymous, NAMI family support, NAMI peer support, Emotions Anonymous

These all have varying areas of focus, but they may be of help to you.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 11:03:18 AM »

Hi Reina1,

Welcome

How are you making out with local help?

Excerpt
I was already mourning the loss of our relationship (though I chose to end it) - and now, suddenly I feel like I have to go back and mourn all over again - only this second loss involves revisiting all of our memories through a new lense and losing the idealized version of our relationship I used to believe.

This is very difficult to go through having to reexamine and process the r/s through a different perspective and come to terms with the fact that the person that you initially met was not the person as a whole but only one half.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest