Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 02:34:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silent Treatment Guide?  (Read 3261 times)

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Unknown at this point

« on: December 27, 2018, 10:05:06 PM »

Hello,

Partly due to my own experience of this and what I read here from others, is there any definitive guide or tools which one can access in relation to the 'silent treatment'? Something along the lines of when and why it is implemented and how we can best cope with it. I did try a search here but I was  hoping to find something in the Tools section. Forgive me if it already exists and I just haven't found it.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 10:39:28 PM »

Have you seen this? BEHAVIORS: Silent treatment

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
itsmeSnap

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

"Tree of the young brave king"

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 10:56:35 PM »

I have read that disengaging and giving it time is the best approach to take, maybe checking up with light conversation to let them know you're still open for contact.

Having said that, that is "crisis control". The fire is raging: get the hose, don't let it spread, for the love of all things good don't drop more fuel into it  and just wait for it to smother itself.

Is there anything to do to prevent it? Any way to notice the ember before the place goes aflame?

Also, what about after? if they start talking again how do we address the issue that caused it in the first place so it won't happen again?

Sorry I'm also very interested in this I have my own thread but much more particular to my own situation, yours seems general enough that I wanted to chime in.

Not all those who wander are lost
Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 11:33:26 PM »

In addition to the resource Turkish recommended, you can visit this educational thread on the silent treatment.  You can also visit an educational page titled, Silent treatment:  when your partner pretends you don’t exist.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 11:39:51 PM »

Thank you for the link. I hadn't seen that. There are some comforting words in that thread.

And yes, what to do afterwards? I have tried to work out an approach with my partner about these incidences and how best to resolve them, but so far have had no luck. I am presently under the treatment and have no idea where my partner is, who she is with, or whether I will see her again. I am bedding down for a long wait. I'll read through your experiences itsmesnap. And thank you for the links too Radcliff. They appeared just before I hit 'Post'.

Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 03:42:24 PM »

How are things going for you today, 2020?

RC

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 05:29:03 PM »

Thank you for asking Radcliff. Things are not that great but maybe they will get better.

My partner had a major melt down recently. It had been brewing for some time. I have explained it elsewhere here but briefly it is a steady decline of her spirit, her moods, increase in anger, violence, lack of will to do pretty much anything with me. Very on and off, off mostly. And I have tried to assert myself. I made it clear that I wanted two hours each morning to do my own work. She was hurt by this although she denies that. She said it was the way I said it.

She sat on a main road before Christmas and was taken to a hospital. Third time in 18 months. She has been very vulnerable. She was telling me that I am going to have Christmas with my ex (broke up 2004). Christmas day she isolated herself most of the day. On the 27th she exploded/imploded? I thought we were both going to do our own work for two hours. I went and saw her at the warehouse two hours later. She was making some progress with a project of hers which we discussed briefly. She said there were a couple of things she might just finish. I said OK. I told her I will be back in an hour or so and see how she went. Dead on the one hour mark, she was at the bedroom window really upset. She was calling me a hypocrite and telling me I banish her from my life on purpose. I tried not to JADE. It just escalated. Eventually I lost it. I told her I needed to say something and you might not like it: "Stop playing the victim all of the time". She screamed at me that I don't listen to her words at all. Then she walked off.

Minutes later I got in the car with my son to go to the bank. I thought I'd refuel the car, see my partner and go for a drive with her to calm things down, maybe have a picnic somewhere. As I left I could see her looking out the roller door of the warehouse. I maybe should have got my son to wait a moment and I go attend to her drama first but I didn't. I went to the bank. When I got to the warehouse she had vanished.

I then spent the next 72 hours searching for her. I looked at the hospital, the mental health unit, her son, everywhere. I became this obsessed nervous wreck. I feared she may be dead. I broke into the warehouse expecting to find her hanging by a rope. She was not there. I sent frantic emails and finally got a reply of few words: I am fine thank you.

Yesterday was really difficult. I have had no idea even where she is. I sent some nice calm emails saying I was thinking of her and hope she is ok. That sort of thing. Last night I got an email from her:

Dear _______,
You need not worry about me. I am doing fine.
I am looking after myself and feel supported, despite this painful happening.
Your emails do reach me, yet my opportunity to see and respond to them are limited.

It sounds you do not sleep yet you dream, so things are not so bad for you as you communicate.
I do not have much to offer you anymore. As you are aware, things have become so dysfunctional. I have reached breaking point.Thus I need to protect and consider what I really need to continue existing in this somewhat challenging universe.

I thank you for your concern and hope that you will make decisions in your life to nurture yourself.
All the best _______.

If you knew her you'd see some sarcasm in there. I responded to her in a validating way saying that it sounds like things have become very difficult and that I'd have to agree with that. I told her I was saddened that she is hurting and sorry for my part in this. The email exchange continued for a bit. I told her that I missed her and it would be good to talk with her when she was ready. She never answered. So I wished her nice dreams and said I would contact her tomorrow. She waited a bit then responded that dreams with me were fruitless.

Some time ago, I made the mistake of mentioning BPD and that was something she will never accept or forgive me for. It is unfortunate. She had to see a Psychiatrist on Friday. Last night her emails got more angry. She sent me this:

no ______ I wish to never see you again
yes, you have self righteously hurt me
but you are a horrible person and I have seeked medical advice and gruesome psychiatric assessment and it has been advised that I stay away from you and your family

YOU ARE NOT TO BE IN MY LIFE _________ EVER AGAIN

And the psychiatrist wanted me to let you know that i discussed with him your BPD diagnosis and suggested that it was a very good indication that i need not endure you and your dysfunctional family any more
But wanted you to know that assessments will be ongoing
no need to worry about me _________ anymore, maybe just focus on your children and estranged wife
regards,
_______.

I told her that this saddened me. I said she had every right to be upset and apologised for my role in it. She waited a bit then sent a sarcastic rude email where she was imitating my Autistic son. I did not reply. I can't validate that!

So today I have woken up not knowing what to do. I have thought I could send her an email later in the day asking how she is, how her day went, how are you feeling today. I should not be doing this, but I was so worried sick... .She had left her emails open on a tab on my computer. I could see she had read them yesterday. She had deleted all her other emails for the past two days and just kept the ones from me. I expected her to respond last night. Also, I am pretty sure I know where she is. She is 250km away at her sister's home.

I don't want to make things worse! I would like to try and work something out. Yeah I must be crazy myself! It is her birthday in a week. She had been saying she doesn't want a birthday at all. Don't know what I'll do.

I was going to post something here about how best to handle this. My only communication at the moment is email which she hates. I have to be very careful. I have a small shard of hope that this might be another cycle rather than an absolute end. I think she has bottomed out now and I guess I need to stand back and let her pull herself up. I can see the role I was playing was not helping her. She doesn't even have to open a car door for herself with me around. I am a gentleman to her and she gets treated well beyond belief, but unfortunately, in a manner which is not really productive.

Sorry about the length of this. I appreciate any feedback and thoughts. I really don't want to mess this up.

Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 09:53:07 PM »

She is in a very volatile place.  As you saw, engaging her when she is in this place runs the risk of fueling the conflict.  When you read an e-mail from her, your best tool is to step back and go for a walk.  Set a time limit for yourself before which you won't respond.  I'm thinking hours, not minutes.  As you go through the waiting period, think carefully about what you will respond to and what not.  Your best bet may be only to identify the emotions and validate them.  Keep your responses very short, don't try to convince her of anything or make any points.

You apologized for your part in this.  What valid criticisms are there of you?  Are you validating the invalid in an effort to soothe her?

RC
Cailin

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 10:11:44 PM »

I have a small shard of hope that this might be another cycle rather than an absolute end.

I dont know how to put that quote in a different color!
I can relate to this statement! So far, every round of “he loves me not” has been a cycle. I’m at the point, though, where the destructive words and accusations are taking such a toll on my ability to love him when he is in the “he loves me” phase, that I have to be honest about my ability to continue to take his verbal abuse. My New Years resolution is to tell the truth and never say anything that makes me feel weak. This would include fighting back with equally horrid allegations, even if I think they are true! I do call him on his “crap” when I feel like doing so doesn’t compromise how I feel about myself. I have been known to “stoop to his level” and I always regret it.
I’m sorry you are having to experience this kind of chaos and trauma. Sometimes I think my marriage to my hwBPD is the codependent’s version of “ hitting bottom”. If I hadn’t of married him, I probably would be with some other , maybe worse, guy with BPD!
Looking at how and why I ended up here is the only way I know to regain sanity in the wake of the  roller coster of emotions!

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 10:25:52 PM »

Radcliff, I think I am making some mistakes. I have had a 'lightbulb' moment today. I have just started reading Stop Caretaking the Borderline or Narcissist by M Fjelstad. I have dumped myself into the first part around page 50 or so. It is quite revealing. I am seeing that there are some very important traits of my own which will need addressing. I have been making some huge errors. I have let myself slide. I am not sure what I will find in the rest of this book. I think the change I so desperately want needs to come from within. It may be met with resistance or even be the end of this relationship, which I don't want, but I need to focus on myself and my role in this relationship.

As for the valid criticisms of me and my apology? Well, I can see the mistake here. I am just falling into the same old trap. Me saying sorry for her outburst. Yes, indeed I am validating the invalid to soothe her. Thank you Radcliff so much. You are helping me figure this out.

Cailin, I too get the urge to fight back. We have had some really bad mud slinging matches. She annihilates my whole family and by default, I must be garbage too. My kids are retards, I chose to breed with trailer trash... .that sort of thing. And then I snap and tell her she didn't do that well herself. Look at your lazy ape/son! It's not good. It just damages everyone. It is hard to maintain self control in a skirmish.

I really recommend this book. I think it might help people like us. And yes, this little area on the internet is an island of hope!
Cailin

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 08:22:54 AM »

Thanks for the reminder, I read that book some time back! Shows how long I’ve been at this and absolutely nothing about him has changed! I’ve changed, though. I’m much more self assured. Hang in there and make little changes everyday and vow to be better than you currently are! We didn’t make them into who they are (even though that is the message) but there are reasons why we are here in the first place!

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 08:40:14 AM »

Thanks Cailin. I am still reading the book. Had a few email interactions with my partner until she became really rude and then I chose not to respond.   I am on part 2 of the book now: Letting go of Caretaking. I am actually feeling a lot better than I was two days ago. I was so screwed up I was on a phone to a counsellor about it. I felt really suicidal. Now I feel stronger. I am seeing how we are a big part of this dysfunction. Let's start looking after ourselves!
Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 05:57:04 PM »

I am seeing how we are a big part of this dysfunction. Let's start looking after ourselves!

Exactly.  This is so hard to see sometimes when our partners' actions are so dramatic.  But we can only control ourselves.  I have to remind myself of this very often with my pwBPD.  You are on a good path, 2020.  Keep it up, and please share any insights you glean from the book and how it applies to you and your situation.  Other members are reading and learning from your experience.

RC
Cailin

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 01:12:09 AM »

The hardest part for me when I am attempting to not fall into an aguement is the intense anger I feel for days afterwards. If it stays around long enough it either turns into depression or I finally lash out at him when he baits me. Family, friends, work, hobbies get my mind off of my own resentment and anger. Eventually I’ll forget about it and move on, until the next time he feels the need to persecute me for my imaginary offenses.

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 06:43:49 AM »

Yes it is all very difficult. I have wrapped my whole existence up around her over a 10 year period. It's all well and good reading the eye opening advice in books like this, but it is a difficult thing trying to apply it when you can't seem to shift in the idea of the two of you for ever and ever.

I sent a pleasant greeting via email today. Got a response an hour later which said "I feel very lost and alone on the planet, wondering what to do next... .How are you doing?" I replied and have heard nothing back for 7 hours. I had asked her if she had any plans for her bithday next weekend and whether she would like to go on a picnic with me. Maybe that was just too much. I think I am still 'black' in her eyes, although it feels a bit dark grey to me.

I have read the book now and have just started it again. It was quite a sobering read. I don't know what my chances are of reconnecting with her. She is drawing out this 'hurt'. And what does the future hold for us? It isn't looking that bright. This is going to be a lot of work. I suppose somehow the communication lines are semi connected. She wouldn't be checking her emails and responding if I were totally amputated from her forever. Or am I just on the back burner for the moment? Why am I even obsessing about her?

What happens now? She decides maybe a picnic might be ok? Maybe plays out the "I'm all alone on my Birthday" card first and we hook up next week? Then what? We have a few nice days together which means I drive a 500km round trip each time to see her, thus perhaps adding something to her leaky abandonment bucket? Then the rage and anger and violence returns... .Hopefully I will have the good sense not to have rescued her into a shared accomodation situation, which did cross my mind.

Yes I am feeling desperate. I am a fool. Who is the mentally ill one here?

Cailin

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 09:05:58 AM »

Honestly, saying that she is “lost and alone on the planet” makes ME want to rescue her and I don’t even know her! It seems to me like the implicit meaning is that you are causing her to feel like that. No wonder you are obsessing! What kind of a monster must you be to make her feel that way! Maybe you aren’t obsessing on her as much as in your own behavior and the possibility she is right about your malevolence! There always seems to be some grain of or half truth in the emotionally laden interactions between me and my hwBPD.I know I have an illness, I’m a recovering ACA/Codependent, that’s how I ended up here! Do your kids like her? I’m not sure I have it in me to divorce my hwBPD but I can aim everyday at being better than yesterday. My hope is that he’ll get well along with me but the evidence is not there, not yet. Seems like the better I get the worse he gets (in terms of rages and accusations). At the very least, I’ll have greater peace and maybe be able to sleep through the night!
I’m reading that  book again.

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 10:39:47 AM »

Cailin... .they are like vampyres. Be very careful. Don't expect garlic to help. As far as my kids go, my eldest son 26, he has a lot of empathy for her. He has known her since he was 15 and she has been nice to him most of that time. Recently it has deteriorated. My youngest son doesn't like her at all. He is austistic, 17 years old. She doesn't even think he has autism; "He is oppositionally defiant", whatever that means. Look, it is an impossible mix of people under this roof and I am just the caretaker who fixes things.

So tonight I get an email. She seemed quite negative really: "another year of  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) has ended, only for another to begin". So I said: "Do you want to talk about that? The year gone and the year to come?" and she said "If you want to". So I opened up the discussion with the positive things we did. Going to Europe, finally. Living in a hire car or in an abandoned church in the French Alps. Then I spoke about the not so good things. The fights we had, the broken stuff, the not getting on, the physical violence. She then said: "___________, I just want to apologise for the violence i have perpetuated toward you, I never wanted that to be something that happened . I am genuinely sorry, it is very shameful I hope some day day you shall forgive me for my horrible, intrusive behaviour. Thank you for talking to me. And i do care about you deeply, despite what appears by my behaviour. You deserve love from someone who is nurturing and supportive."

I rarely get an apology from her. She is 250km away from me right now to the best of my knowledge. When I asked her what her plans were she said:  "I am taking a week to ten days to plan where I go from here. BUT I DEFINITELY KNOW I NEED A HOME TO NURTURE AND FACILITATE MY HEALING FROM THE PAST YEARS OF SUFFERING and to learn to make better decisions in my life, plus I DESIRE TO CONTINUE TO LEARN AND GROW FROM  THIS EXPERIENCE. How that will all eventuate at this point is merely speculation based on assessing my options and weighing up the pros and cons of what I can determine or happen to present itself to me."

So I need to let this happen. She needs to do something for herself for once. And I need to tread very carefully as she can and probably will lay it on thick now. Yes it is all very nice working out that after being in her toilet bowl for so long, I might just be an unflushable turd, now basking in the water under the 60W glow.

It would be nice if it could last for ever. It won't. I am re-reading the book again... .
Yellowpearl

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 11:03:45 AM »

Hey 2020,

I was just reading your updates. I just want to say even though this situation sucks, I'm glad to hear she apologized and as much as it hurts, maybe sometimes we need to let them go so they can do their own healing while we can do ours. With all this dysregulation, it's good for you to work on those changes I know you so greatly have been working on. Regardless of what happens next, you have been handling this situation maturely and kindly, and that is admirable.

My situation unfortunately just got worse. I haven't really slept all night but I had some small hope that photo with him and that woman was just a fluke or nothing too serious. Well, then today, I saw his facebook and he changed his status to "in a relationship" and his family and her friends congratulated them both. What the heck. This is the point things are falling apart for me completely, I'm utterly horrified and this just hurts incredibly. I feel like I'm in twilight zone or some alternate realty in wondering how is this even possible. Just the other month he talked about not wanting to be with anyone, not talking to anyone, and weeks ago he said hes more ready and wants to start with me again and work this out. But hes somehow in love with her? I'm wondering is this even possible, or was he playing me the whole time or something.

I feel incredibly lost. I don't know what to really make out of all this. My heart stings with feelings of betrayal, confusion and hurt. I'm sad I had to find out this way. Boy, how disrespectful. He didn't even tell me. I guess he doesn't know I know, since I don't have social media. What a sneaky, thoughtless move on his part. But something just seems off with this. He did this with career too, 2 months ago he was applying to be in the FBI, and deadset on it, weeks ago he said that changed. Hes going from career to career and not leaving me alone for another. I wonder how long this will last and if not long, and he reaches out, do I bother with him. then again, maybe he start loving this person. I am just devastated.

I can't see this week getting any better for me. Hang in there yourself with all of this. I wish you luck with your situation.

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2018, 12:04:26 PM »

Hey Yellowpearl. I am really sorry you are going through this pain. I'd rather have toothache, and I've had a few of them before. It's very disrespectful what is happening to you. I feel very sad for you.

You know, years ago, maybe 8 years ago, when this woman I'm involved now with finally seduced me and took me into her bed after 2 years of flirting and saying she doesn't do relationships, we went out one night a few weeks later. She got rotten drunk and as we were leaving she put her arm round another guy and kissed him, walked off down the road with him. I turned around and ran, all the way home. I was so hurt. I had spent the evening with her and she acted like I wasn't even there. I told my psychologist the following week and she asked what I felt by her doing this. I said there was nothing I could do- we aren't in a relationship. Her reply was, "I wouldn't treat my friends like that". She came back and knocked on my door a week later, and I let her back in. Then a few months after that we were out drinking together and I was there thinking I might get to stay in her bed tonight, and she took someone else home! That hurt. I tried to call her a few days later but she ignored my calls. I spoke to my psychologist and she said to send her a message saying "I think we need to talk". So I meet her in a park and she is drinking. She says, "I know I said I didn't do relationships, but I am getting into one now. I just have to tell you". I never saw her for a month. This guy moved into her apartment. One day I text her to go pick up my stuff. It was at the door. She was there and looked really miserable. She said, "Is that it? You are just going to walk off now?" I said yes and walked home with bags of books, records and a small fish tank. A month later she shows up. Tells me it didn't work out. Sorry for hurting you. How about we hook up tomorrow?

And here I am now. Five years of being 'in relationship' with someone who tells me I am still involved with my ex and other conspiracy theories. So why do we let these people do this to us? You see, we are a big part of this problem I'm thinking. Maybe these borderlines need to be put on an island with each other?  Like a leper colony or something. They can cause real havoc with your brain. They can and will hurt us. And you watch, I am about to get quite a flogging, and no book will save me. I'll be back here in a few weeks, days, hours telling you all how sad I am. It is an ugly scenario. We deserve so much better.

I really hope something good comes your way Yellowpearl. I know very well that sick feeling you are describing. Try reading this book maybe. At least it made me feel better for a while.
Yellowpearl

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2018, 06:20:33 PM »

Thanks for the words of wisdom, 2020.

I appreciate you sharing about when you had gone through something similar. When I hear your story, that she said she doesn't do relationships then got into one and lived with the guy, then came back to you, it's eerily similar to basically how he did the whole "i'm not ready"  to "I think i'm ready let's meet and date again" then goes off with someone else, just like that. They are so impulsive they don't consider others feelings when taking actions like that. I really can't fathom how someone can go back and forth like this and not seem to care how these behaviors hurt a person so severely. It's all very damaging. I don't think sadly he knows what it is to be "ready" for a relationship. Yet he dives into one with someone he barely knows and recently met.

You are on to something, we are part of the problem. I'm still just trying to figure out how. If he comes back and I have no idea if he will, I'm not quite sure how i'd react, due to feeling so disrespected, betrayed and hurt if I should even speak to him again. But I'd need to be on my game and figure out what I can and can't tolerate. Whose to say he wouldn't do something like this again, by that point i'd have to check myself into a psychiatric facility if I go through it again. Then again, maybe he's left for good and I shouldn't even consider this as a possibility. My mind's sure a mess since finding this news out. Happy New Year to me.

These borderlines surely to not only be put on a island together but also attend a seminar about learning a few things about how to treat people like humans beings. The emotional whiplash can really affect your way of thinking not to mention your worth. What a havoc in my life these past few weeks. I almost been verge of losing my job from all of the anxiety, thankfully no one has taken notice (as horrible as it is to say this).

I'm hoping in New Year, i'll run into more newfound knowledge that helps me through this all. I understand your feeling of getting through one situation and being unprepared for the next so well. The reality may be: we can't fix them and learning what do we do with that.Thanks for the book recommendation, i'll definitely have to check it out.

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2018, 09:14:33 PM »

They are master manipulators. They prey on the vulnerable and weak.  I sat on my doorstep for five years after my previous 16 year abusive relationship with... .a borderline? Maybe so. She chased all my friends away and I was never permitted to talk about my past before her coming along. Lots of abuse in that decade and a half of hell. ALL my posessions, smashed to bits. I gave up buying CD's. I used to wake up most mornings with a bucket of water over my head. I slept in my infant son's room on an old truck blanket on the floor. I had given up owning a mattress. I wrestled more knives out of her hand than I care to think about. And then I was literally turfed out onto the streets with my 12 year old boy. Discarded. She had met someone else.

That was 2004. I was in such a bad way. I took lots of drugs and drank; self medicated. I had zero self esteem. At least I don't do that anymore! I was pensioned off and put into the too hard basket. And then one day an angel came along, walked past my doorstep and said "Hi". Because I was so  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) up and in need, and because she was so beautiful, way beyond my league, I clung to her, or at least a vision of her. And after that day I waited a year for her to pass by again, visiting the woman upstairs. You know that movie, that Eternal Sunshine movie? That girl in there... .that is what I am dealing with! She even looks like her. They dress the same.

Now back to what you were saying. I am not just wondering how they go back and forth like this, but why WE go back and forth like this. Something must really be wrong with us to keep doing this. I have had years with this person running in circles. I mean how long do we need to keep doing this experiment and coming up with the same result? Just when I was starting to pull myself up, start feeling like I could work again, believe in myself, I got involved with her. It is my own fault. I text her two months after my mother died. I was so sad and lonely. She lost both her parents at a young age so I thought she'd understand. I had been excommunicated from her life for a good six months prior, but she responded and swept me off my feet.

I totally get where you are at. This is really cruel. The anxiety must be sending you through the roof! Having to work while enduring this heartache would be very trying. Perhaps being forced to be busy is a good thing? I see other partners of BPD's here finding the holidays make them dwell on the misery of loved ones who are cutting them off.

If this relationship mess of mine ends, would I follow another 'angel' who passes my doorstep and says nice things to me? I am afraid I would. I am very afraid.

I really think the book might explain a thing or two about yourself and also give you practical advise on reinventing yourself for the better. We can't keep letting people do this to us, can we?
Yellowpearl

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2018, 11:59:01 PM »

The mess just piles up, I get you completely. It sounds like you went through hell and back with the 16 year relationship and surely endured a lot, how ruthless of her. It really takes a heavy toll when someone just discards like that, I understand that well now. It's like going through drug withdrawals afterwards. First time this happened in the summer, he disappears for a month after he agreed to "work on communication" I was very weak to the point of feeling like i'm being deprived of water and I now wonder why I'd been tolerating this from someone who was constantly putting me on red, and has outbursts over nothing. Those should be signs he's capable of up and leaving. Then you learn about BPD and you're like "maybe I can work on this" But when your self esteem keeps getting shot, you start to wonder, what's going on with US here to keep going back for the same?

I think we need to look at it as if they are capable or not of improvement and whether they show any real progress, and not take pity on them because they have a personality disorder or "issues." But approach it like this, can they cope? yes or no? Do they have a coping system? yes or no? Are they willing to come up with a coping system consistently for 6 (or some number of months) Yes or no? Are they willing to work on xyz issue when I brought it up 3 times? Yes or no? If the person starts slacking off and you constantly are calling them on it, it's over. That's how it should be. Because for life long relationships, we don't have the time (or energy) to rehabilitate them, do we? We might end up drained or get our self esteem shattered.

If you're dealing with the a girl like in Eternal Sunshine movie, you're facing a wild one for sure. They have mental issues and don't want to work on them. There is a lot of denial involved. They don't think they have a problem. They need to be willing to work on things and if they aren't and the willingness isn't there, i'm thinking more in the line of  what else can we do. But we keep doing the same thing. I've been running in circles with this guy over a year and now i'm left with all this heartache. Now i'm trying to understand all of this.

I totally feel you. If someone else like him walks into myself, I'm afraid I will follow that person too. We need to come up with a system to protect ourselves to determine who are capable vs not capable of making changes.

Oh yes, my anxiety has been crazy! I barely could put in two hours of work in per day. I even had thoughts about quitting my job, (just trying to hang in there). I never thought something like this could wear me down so much. It's very jarring to experience. I honestly can't get rid of this sick feeling yet. Sick at how much I fell for him. Sick at having missed him. Sick at all the emotional abuse I endured. Sick at how he set up plans to work things out yet had no remorse i'd find out through social media that he's in a relationship weeks later after disappearing. It's truly cruel. I'm very lost that this happened to me, hopefully I can find something to keep me busy soon or i'll go insane.

I'm going to check out that book hopefully by the weekend. We gotta find what it is about us that attracts these people,why we tolerate it and what we can do to avoid getting so hurt. It isn't healthy right?

Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2019, 12:35:47 AM »

I'm going to check out that book hopefully by the weekend. We gotta find what it is about us that attracts these people,why we tolerate it and what we can do to avoid getting so hurt. It isn't healthy right?

Yellowpearl, you are spot on here.  Our pwBPD are who they are.  We choose to associate with them.  They have often been badly harmed in their pasts, and have serious deficits.  It's not a matter of detecting who can change.  We should look at our adult partners, mental illness or not, for who they are as we find them.

It was a lightbulb moment for me when I realized that my partner's emotions were not manipulative.  They were genuine, as hard as that was for me to grasp.  She really did hate me one day and love me the next.  That realization helped me to empathize with her and not feel like she was evil, just a hurt person lashing out.  Yet it took me years past that to realize that despite bending over backwards to keep life functioning, I really was papering over the problems and not taking responsibility for solutions.  I finally faced the reality that I needed to be Bettering with all the tools we have here, or ending the relationship.

RC

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2019, 04:09:49 AM »

Despite a civil and intimate email exchange last night until 3am, I have heard absolutely nothing from her today. If I was actually strong right now, I wouldn't be worrying. But this is someone who goes through these suicidal phases quite often. As the day has progressed here I have got less and less done. I am now sitting here drinking coffee, refreshing emails every minute waiting for a response. Maybe I am doing this to myself. I am starting to go mad again. I feel physically sick. I have got myself in quite a bind. The BPD's, who apparently suffer from anxiety and abandonment, they sure know how to inflict it onto others. You don't think this is maniplulative?
Cailin

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2019, 10:56:34 AM »

I have come to the same conclusion as RC, I am not doing my hwBPD any good if I ignore his illness and continue to be undone by his splitting, rages and all his other symptoms. I know how to make things worse. I do not know how to make things better. That’s not because the tools aren’t there, it’s because I’m so beaten down by his verbal abuse and paranoia that I am losing interest in investing so much and getting so little back. I do have a life outside of him, in fact most of my life has nothing to do with him, but I have no intimate partner and it’s getting old. His last verbal assault (Christmas Eve) included accusing me of having my dad out for Christmas so he could help me with the divorce papers (my dads an attorney). 5 months ago he went into a rage in a restaurant over something fairly benign that I said ( I was not remembering to walk on egg shells and stepped  on a land mind) and told me he wanted a divorce everyday for a month. He went to a mediator with me (I had to have a third party present) so I could tell him and have him hear that I did not want a divorce. It’s a world of opposites, the egregious acts that he commits dont happen, meanwhile the contemptible things that I do (like sleeping with our neighbor, which of course I did not do) have happened. And I can’t combat anything because as soon as I open my mouth he starts screaming at me. I feel trapped in a script of a play that I didn’t try out for but was given the part. He will pervert anything I say and make it appear as if I’m persecuting him. His “predator alert system” is alway on, but especially around me.
Maybe this is more than BPD. Maybe it’s psychosis.

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2019, 08:20:17 PM »

Cailin, I get the whole thing about being trapped in a parallel universe of their creation. I have been stuck accused of still being in relationship with the mother of my children. We split in 2004 and I have virtually zero contact, maybe an email from her per year which I don't reply to. She started this tactic three weeks into the relationship and I argued that it wasn't true at all! I even dragged us to a really hopeless counsellor who just sat there and smiled whilst she spun her web around me and him. I can't even take my computer in for repair without being accused of sexual intercourse somewhere.

So here I am today after what I thought was constructive email dialogue on New Year's Eve, now getting the full silent treatment. Not a word since. I am worried sick. She tried to kill herself a week ago. She is very unwell. I just don't know what to do. How can we have relationships with these thoughtless people? I still don't even know where she is or who she is with. I think I may be developing psychosis
Cailin

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2019, 09:27:50 PM »

2020, hang on, you aren’t crazy you’re being driven crazy! Would you consider sending a policeman over to do a “well check” on her?
We can’t live like this. It’s like trying to rescue a drowning person who grabs you and pulls you down with them! They prey on us because we have no self respect! We believe any manner of s*#!t they hurle at us because we are so susceptible to guilt and shame (my family is Catholic AND Jewish!) and they know it because they tested it out on us little by little in the beginning and found out what they can get away with! I’m constantly rehearsing what to say and how to say it by creating little avatars of myself, watching them go forth and do or say whatever and if I think it won’t go well, I kill them off and start over. How insane is that! That’s just to make sure I stay off the land mines! It’s also very tactical because the more presise I am with my language, the better I am at warding off his accusations of , well, just about anything.
My dad has been sober for 32 years. He drug us kids through his alcoholism. I have realized that I have done the same, with my own addictions (to disordered people) to my own children. They absolutely detest my husband ( all 6 of them) and never should have had to endure his insanity.
The book says that we shouldn’t live this way. We should live our own lives and that the BPD will either get better or go away.
Let’s focus on ourselves, for the sake of our kids. Tell the truth and don’t say things that make us weak.

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2019, 10:56:21 PM »

Cailin, I thank you for your reply.

I am going mad again. I am in the house with my autistic son who keeps wanting to hug me and I just need to be alone. He is going to stay with his mother on Friday, the first time in over a year. I just don't get a break. I have heard nothing from my partner. I am not even sure she is my partner anymore. She has not even looked at her emails. I wonder if she is dead. I try to phone her sister for an update but she never answers or returns my calls. I think my partner has possibly filled her head with  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post).

The biggest tragedy of all is I am still focusing on this abusive  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post). How bad is that? These peole treat us like we are scum. We are not scum. We are the REAL humans out there in a World so lacking of compassion. And yet we beg to go back for more? The extent of this situation and lack of resolve; the enormity of this problem is overwhelming.

My Sister told me to write a long email to my Aunty in England. I just did that. It kept me busy for a short while. Now I am back to the torture. If it wasn't for this website, I would give up and die.
Cailin

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 07:30:26 AM »

2020, maybe it’s time to see a doctor and be treated for depression. I had to do that and it really helped. I’m off of them now but it was a great relief to not hurt and stop the obessive thoughts.
Just a suggestion. Plus being a full time care taker for your son is incredibly taxing. There is only so much of you and a whole lot of pain and suffering out there. Do you have a job that you like or hobbies to take your mind off of all this drama?

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2019, 09:15:56 AM »

Cailin, I thank you for your advice. I just don't like drugs. I don't like pills and the feeling of waking up thinking you had died in your sleep. My eldest son suggested I go see the doctor anyway and tell him what has happened. I did see him after I got bitten by my partner and told him I thought it was BPD. He said to me he really feels for me as I am going to have some really hard decisions to make soon. And here i am now. No contact from my partner. I am actually thinking this is the end being played out now. For all I did and the effort I put in, she is dumping me on the  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) pile. Cailin, I was a superb Caretaker! She will not find better. Her sister whom she painted black in March 2018 is now painted white and her son and I are the enemy.

I find myself slipping between tears and anger. If I sat down and wrote a list of all the  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) things she had done since I have known her (10 years), Skip would have a lot of work on his hands dividing the long post into parts. I emailed my aunty today and she was sorry to hear the news but had practical advice. I am just very sad. The anxiety comes in waves and almost kills me. My eldest son said he thinks once she has finished acting out this current drama, she will (unfortunately) be back in my life. I would NEVER treat a living thing like this! It is  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) unacceptable!

I did have hobbies... .until I let the vampyre into my life. I might drag out the synthesizer I bought but never got the chance to use, and make some weird sci fi noises at some point. I can't seem to get any artwork done. I was making massive progress on a poster, but just can't work right now.

I will update here as I disintegrate or as I get my  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) together and stop this monster messing with my head. What a tragedy. What a mess.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest