Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 05:57:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to just be and not get pulled into a BPD outburst  (Read 407 times)
Timmy2012Sydney
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: August 06, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »

From what I have read the BPD person may want you to get as out of control as them to make you feel as bad as they do.. any tips to not engage?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 08:26:05 PM »

Hi Timmy2012Sydney,

Hi!  Welcome to the community! We're glad you are here.

At the top of this board you will find a thread that says HOW TO GET THE MOST OUT OF THIS SITE. Within that thread there are many articles on communication tools and tips to help you deal with your BPD loved one. One of the articles is called Arguing: Don't Engage. Perhaps that will help a little with answering your question.

I hope you will settle in, read and respond to others' posts here, and I think you will find that you are not alone. You have found a place where others understand. We get it here.

Again, Welcome

Blessings and peace,

Redeemed

We are more than just our stories.
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 04:14:15 AM »

Hi Timmy
I join Redeemed in welcoming you to the group. You ask a very important question. What helps me to not take my son's outbursts personally is reminding myself he is acting out of pain not hatred. In other words it is desperation not malice. This helps me to be both compassionate and lovingly detached from the drama. At least most of the time. What do you think works for you?
Again. We are glad you are here.
Hugs
Faith

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 12:18:10 PM »

Do you feel comfortable sharing an example so we can help walk with you through a dysregulation?

What are some things you've tried?

Breathe.
Huat

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 11:24:01 AM »

Hello and welcome, Timmy2012Sydney.

From experience I do know how it feels to have the verbal barbs thrown in my direction.  It is so natural to want to throw some back and defend myself.  For sure that just added fuel to my daughter's fire, to say nothing of what then happens with my blood pressure.

It really was an eye-opener for me when I read about "J-A-D-E."  Basically, that is NOT to...Justify-Argue-Defend-Explain...when conversations start heating up.

Practice makes perfect, Timmy2012Sydney.  Changing habits doesn't come easy but once you start to feel the benefits that come from change, the more and more empowered you will become to make other changes.

Huat
Swimmy55
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 12:30:00 PM »

I would like to add a further step to JADE.   My son would then take to following me around the house yelling and getting more dysregulated.  Sometimes they are hell bent on a fight no matter what.  So you may have to either leave , or call 911 even ( if they become violent or threatening ).  I had an agreement with my adult son at the time that whenever he starts raging, I will vacate.  That worked for a while until he just got too sick and dysregulated / drug addled.

FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 12:57:29 PM »

This information about extinction bursts may help. Basically what happens is people with BPD (and others) sometimes react to new boundaries by acting out and really testing the limits. If you still stand strong they will come to accept it but first they escalate. Extinction Bursts
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest