Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 10:10:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: set my first limit  (Read 393 times)
eliason

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: October 12, 2019, 05:45:31 PM »

Hi all — I've been working through the Stop Walking on Eggshells workbook (the book itself is in the mail) and it's so eye-opening, just like all the info in this community. Thank you all again!

So I just wanted to share that I set my first small limit — it felt confusing, like I was being a total jerk, and my heart rate and cortisol levels were way up. I've started to realize those are my responses to very specific triggers.

So anyway, the conversation. Backstory: My partner doesn't drive (either from unwillingness and/or a severe phobia, depending on the month) and she's constantly asking me to pick her up, drive her places, do all the shopping, etc. I try to be empathetic and understanding but it's been draining on me. We live in a small very walkable town, and it seems to me like a grown woman should be able to get herself across town without help. But I digress.

So I used the DEAR method and said the following:
- I can't always pick you up and drive you somewhere. Sometimes when I say no, you persist and don't accept that.
- It makes me feel like you don't care about my time or my feelings. It makes me feel guilty and taken advantage of.
- From now on, if I say that I can't do it, I'm not going to argue with you or justify myself.
- I'll feel cared for and respected and we'll have a better relationship.

She withdrew a little bit but heard me and said "ok."

We had an immediate slight escalation afterwards where I tried to remain neutral, empathetic, and actively listening without getting engaged in the argument or pushing "my side." I'm trying to remind myself that she needs a lot of validation and reassurance, that I can do that without feeling threatened, and that's ok.

Anyway I just thought I'd share, because this feels like an awkward first step into a whole new life.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Harri
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 08:20:20 PM »

Well done!   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

You will feel awkward and nervous with any new behavior, but especially with changing the way you interact in personal relationships.  It gets easier as you gain more practice and accept that not only do you have a right to self care and boundaries but they are healthy.

Excerpt
We had an immediate slight escalation afterwards where I tried to remain neutral, empathetic, and actively listening without getting engaged in the argument or pushing "my side." I'm trying to remind myself that she needs a lot of validation and reassurance, that I can do that without feeling threatened, and that's ok.
This is excellent.  Keep reminding yourself of these things. 

She may bring this subject up again so be prepared.  It is okay if she does.  Just stay steady and do not JADE.

Have you settled back down?

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
eliason

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 10:44:06 PM »

Have you settled back down?

Yes thanks. I got myself back down to baseline without withdrawing, which was pretty big for me. Breathwork is incredible. Still feeling weird but confident this will be worth it. Thanks for the kind words.

Amethyste

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 05:30:00 AM »

Great Way to go! (click to insert in post)
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 11:54:44 AM »

anything happen since?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
eliason

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 12:42:08 PM »

This went pretty well and has been pretty good so far. She hasn't tried to test it yet but I'm feeling much better about enforcing this one.
 Way to go! (click to insert in post)

I've been more assertive about other boundaries as well and am trying to do a lot of work to form and write down value-based boundaries instead of just reactive behavior ones.

e.g. — I value love and kindness. I will not accept being treated unkindly and without respect. If this happens I will not participate, try to de-escalate, and remove myself from the situation.

e.g. — I value individuality and responsibility. I will not accept being devalued as a person or having my words twisted. If this happens I will stand my ground, reinforce that I said what I said and what I meant by it, and will not get drawn into an argument about it. If emotions get high I will remove myself from the situation.

And things like that. It's tough but validating, and I finally feel like I have a way out of this fog, or at least a way to take myself back.

Time to go chat with my therapist about this, wish me luck.

Radcliff
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 09:25:38 PM »

Congratulations!  Thanks for sharing your progress!

RC
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest