Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 03:04:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: beginning to think I made a mistake  (Read 335 times)
Kdk228
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: October 12, 2019, 09:41:25 PM »

the more I read about BPD the more I think my wife has it. We got engaged nov 2018. Married April 2019. And today is our 6 month wedding anniversary and I’m in bed alone and sobbing crying. I always suspected she had BPD, in fact, I’m 100% positive she does. In August we had an extremely rough patch. Every weekend I was being blamed for something, yelled at, even hit at one point. It was terrible. It got to the point that I had to completely call her out on everything, which led to her coming to me crying realizing she messed up. That leads me to recently. I’m a new grad school grad and trying so desperately to find a job. She has lots of family money and recently got out of the military and has bought a few trips for us (which has now turned into manipulating me with money which is a whollllllle other  story). We’re in Aruba currently. She got so so so drunk at happy hour and then started to yell at another person at the bar because they were fans of a certain team. I told her to stop yelling and let them watch their game. I was called “a piece of garbage” “trash” “c**t” among other things. So I left the bar.  I guess my biggest question is how do you set limits without triggering them? Especially when they don’t know they are BPD? Any help is truly appreciated. I just don’t know where to turn and I think this marriage may be a huge mistake. I’m willing to do just about anything to turn it around. Thank you everyone.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Radcliff
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 03:18:42 PM »

Welcome

We're sorry to hear of the tough spot you're in, but are glad you're here.  The good news is that there are skills we can learn that can reduce the conflict levels.  The most important thing, though, is to not try to do this alone.  You've taken an important step by reaching out for help.  Stick around here, and you'll get a lot of support and learn tools to help your situation.

You asked an important question about setting limits.  We make a distinction between limits, which control the behavior of others can be set when there's some kind of control relationship (like at work or with a child), and boundaries, which we set in a regular relationship and only define our own actions to protect ourselves.  Take a look at this page on setting boundaries.  

When she was yelling at the bar, you first, unsuccessfully, tried to impose a limit on her behavior.  Then, when that didn't work, you successfully enforced a boundary by leaving the bar.  Does that make sense?  We can only control our own behavior, not that of others.  This is the #1 most important lesson for us.

As we get practice with the skills, we can handle situations with even less turbulence.  For example, to protect yourself from being mortified by her behavior in the bar, you could excuse yourself for a short bathroom break to lessen your exposure to it.  There's a lot of trial and error with these things (a lot ;) so there's no one right answer, but as your skills improve you'll feel a big difference.

Can you tell us a bit about another situation that's given you trouble?

RC
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest