Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 05:10:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PTSD as a result of spouse with BPD  (Read 333 times)
ConfusedandDazed
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married but living apart currently

« on: February 16, 2020, 07:33:14 AM »

Hi all-

New to this. I suspect my spouse of the last eight years has BPD. Last therapist seemed to think this was the case. Because of the verbal bashings and threatening to hurt my loved ones “if he loses his mind” - the repeated degrading and insults, the attempts to control me and putting me in no-win situations - I’ve developed actual physical reactions when he’s raging. It when the first calls come in, or the first fifty text messages...I get an immediate pounding at the temples, burning sensation in my neck and arms, severe anxiety, confusion, feelings of hopelessness and panic. Does this happen to many partners? Does it get better? Can it?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

khibomsis

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Grieving

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 11:21:18 AM »

Welcome new member (click to insert in post), Confused and Dazed, and welcome to the family! It is really hard to be the spouse of a person with BPD sometimes, and it is certainly true that when conflict levels are high we too will suffer from some form of PTSD. I don't think they themselves know quite how violent they come across, but your description of being at the other end of dysregulation sounds pretty accurate.
There are many things you can do to make it easier for yourself.  You do not have to be around dysregulation, you can walk away, not answer the phone, not check your texts, etc. I often practice self-soothing even in the midst of a dysregulation by meditative chanting, it helps to regulate my breathing and heartbeat, and prevents an extreme response on my side. Also burning incense or dabbing myself with calming essential oils like chamomile and lavender. A little sneaky this, because it will calm your spouse down if he is within sniffing distance Smiling (click to insert in post)
Best of all is to reduce the conflict. Could you tell us more about your situation? The more you post the better we can help figure out the best way.

Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
Khib

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest