Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 06:02:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't know if my EX has BPD but it seemed so and I'm trying to recover  (Read 349 times)
Laney
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up

« on: December 16, 2020, 11:29:08 PM »

I just got out of a 2 year relationship that was intense in the beginning in a good way and then became like "walking on eggshells".  I read books, went to therapy, tried to "fix myself" to get better at communicating but this was met with me feeling like I wasn't enough, I was apologizing all the time and I was getting yelled at and scrutinized a lot.  My ex would appear different with her friends than with me.  I always longed to be treated like she treated her friends.  She always had to be right and it was impossible arguing with her.  I came away from the relationship very hurt by her anger, accusations and hypervigilance.  My self-confidence took a deep dive.  Now I'm angry that I put up with all this and I want validation.  I feel like she had a lot of BPD traits but I was never able to bring this up with her.  She keeps going from one relationship to the next and I wish I could have talked to her about it to help her but we didn't get that far.  Anyone have some advice on recovering from being with a BPD partner?
So Done

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Newly broken up

Newly ended decade long relationship with BPD-exbf

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 09:55:14 PM »

Hi Laney. These relationships can be devastating, for sure. There's no quick way to recover from them, but healing is possible. Educating yourself on BPD, reading the articles on here, reading others' posts, can give you a lot of insight into the BPD psyche. Take care of yourself, maybe consider a therapist to process through everything. And keep posting. It helps.

You are enough.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 12:40:07 PM »

Hi Laney,

Welcome

I’d like to welcome you to BPDFamily. I’m sorry for the circumstances that led you to find our site here. I’d also like to echo So Done. I think that you’re in the right place with healing with asking for validation - a lot of members can relate with that process with healing.

It sounds like you were trying really hard to keep things together with not triggering your partner too much and making personal changes knowing that their not likely going to compromise. I think that a lot of us have been there.

I’d like to point out if you haven’t already noticed that the lessons are on top of the board.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Lucky Jim

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 01:38:59 PM »

Hey Laney, Welcome!  We get it.  Many of us have been in your shoes.  It's doubtful that anything you did or didn't do would have made a difference, so don't beat yourself up.  You are not responsible for the well being of another adult.  I can understand why your self confidence took a hit.  Now is the time to get back to being who you are at your core.  In the future, you will have better boundaries (see Tools, above).  Feel free to ask any specific questions about BPD and its aftermath.  We've been there!

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Laney
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 10:15:31 PM »

Thank you So Done, Mutt and Lucky Jim for your responses.  I'll continue to explore this site and post as I have more questions or comments.  It's good to know this site is here, that's validation already.
Laney

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest