Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 02:50:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 366 times)
GreenMan32
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married/barely

« on: April 19, 2021, 09:30:28 AM »

New here, I am in “confusion” stage. My therapist has identified my SO as BPD (without having ever met her; doesn’t feel right but apparently the DSM doesn’t lie). I go from hero to zero so fast I can’t catch my breath. SO has history (and scars) of self harm. My birth mother died of suicide, my adoptive mother attempted suicide, and a cherished uncle did a long slow burn (think “Leaving Las Vegas”) so I have issues with threats of self harm and alcohol. Did I mention the alcohol. I don’t really drink, maybe 2 beers a year. SO is daily and it seems the higher her BAC goes the more evil I become. She’s not interested in seeing any professional. Has other health issues and hides substance abuse (oxycodone, valium, alcohol) and use from Docs. Most days, I feel like I’m crazy, living in a shifting alien landscape. Howdy!
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 08:27:54 AM »

Welcome

I'm so glad you found us.  I want to assure you that you have found a group of people that "get it". 

Sounds like a very tough situation, especially with the alcohol involved.

I get it that your SO doesn't want to change or see anyone professionally.  Are you ready to change things?

Best,

FF

Gemmie

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 02:52:17 PM »

Hi and welcome!  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Yep, you'll find a ton of kindred spirits here!

Like everyone else, I'm sorry that you're struggling! It's so painful to love another being who - without having psychological issues - would be ideal partners for us.

I'm 25 year into a marriage and I'm ready to "tap out" finally. I simply have nothing more I can give. The final straw was about 2 months ago, after a rage outburst (cussing me out for nothing, and him cutting off his wedding band). Surprisingly (but, then again, NOT) the ring magically reappeared on his hand a few days later and like nothing ever happened.

The abuse is real and I have to face that, and I have to accept that it's been going on for a long time. I'm working to being "separation" and (likely) that will end in a divorce.

My emotions are all over the place - as I'm sure yours are. While I don't have to deal with substance abuse issues on top of it (OMG!), I'm struggling.

I applaud you for seeking some outside support. You really need it! Being "alone" in that environment can seriously begin messing up YOUR perceptions of reality.

In doing so - it makes me wonder if you're now reaching a point where the red flags are so large, you're ready to begin questioning what is best for you.

I'm glad that you have your own therapist/counselor. I can't recommend them strongly enough! They can help you process these things and help you begin re-affirming who YOU are (sans the partner). Even when we're married to, or with another - our lives ARE still OURS. We, too, have needs, and deserve happiness.

Sending support and healthy vibes to you!  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest