Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 08:29:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: he's been drinking a lot, I spoke about it and he flipped and left  (Read 4091 times)
babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2021, 07:31:47 AM »

So because he always feels unworthy/unloved/unwanted he is always waiting for that to come..?

pretty much yes.     pwBPD never feel secure in being loved and worthy of love.   they often search their environment for 'clues'  that prove that they aren't being loved enough or the right way.

Conversely, because of the past I'm always waiting for him to up sticks and leave again. 

of course... and this is part of the dynamic that needs to be broken.  he is going to manage his emotions by doing the push/pull thing.   to have a chance with him you are going to need to learn to not take it personally.

I would say from the things he was saying when he was in the house last week that that makes sense, he made a mistake and so is a mistake.  Then he projects it quickly on to me, to make it easier for him to handle?

yes.    that's how he learned to handle this emotion as a child and he has never adopted a different approach.

Reading this makes me feel so sad for him. For how much turmoil he has within him and for how much I just long to help him.  For him not to feel like this anymore.

if only it was that simple.    for him to 'get better' he will require years of therapy and a willingness to look at hard and painful memories.    to some degree he is always going to feel like this... however he can respond to it better.    BPD can't really be cured... it can be managed.

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

formflier
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2021, 08:04:16 AM »

Wonderful discussion on options.  How much of this feels like a "foreign language" to you?

For me..that was the helpful metaphor.

It will likely take trial and error to figure out how "ignoring" or "delaying" messages goes.

On the one hand you don't want to be on his beck and call and "have to" respond to text within a short time or else he goes off the rails.  On the other hand you need to understand "abandonment" is often a central trigger for BPD.

This is a conundrum you will have to learn to manage.

Especially at this early stage of learning a new "language"  TIME IS YOUR FRIEND because you need time to decipher "what he is really saying" (see examples above).

Even then..it can be reading tea leaves

Plus...be deliberate about leaving the door open for what you want/need.

please don't try to use these exact words...they are for you to get the gist of this idea.

him:  blah blah blah pack up my stuff..a friend will come get it...blah blah

you:  Sounds important, I imagine you are be busy.. I've got time to discuss over coffee at (insert convenient place)...does noon or 1 work better for you?

Maybe that kinda also fits the SET format.  It shows him he is not ignored but also doesn't solve his issue...the door is left open for what you want (real conversation).

The little twist at the end will also take trial and error.  Some pwBPD work better with dichotomous stuff (would you like a or b) or you may find "what time works best for you?" is a better approach.

There is another little "rule" tucked back in here.  Hand the work back to them  Especially if it's their work.

You don't want "validate" for them that they can control others to "do their work" for them, especially while they are skipping out on normal relationship stuff like "having conversations".

We've thrown a lot at you?  How are you feeling?  Too much too soon or hungry for more?

Best,

FF

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2021, 08:14:42 AM »

Hopefully just a bit more to tie all these threads together.

I do agree he is most likely saying "I'm so afraid (or perhaps ASHAMED) to see you in person..so I will send another guy."

So...there is an obvious line of thinking where seeing you in person for coffee would see to be the opposite thing from what he wants.  And..perhaps that is true.

Yet...perhaps he doesn't want to see you in person IN YOUR HOME.  Home my scream "intimacy"..whereas "just coffee" might "say" casual to him and be acceptable.

No way to know what will work...trial and error and thoughtful reflection on the results of what you try.

Let the "tension" or "incentives" work for the favor of the relationship and let him solve these internal battles himself..even if he does it badly.  

You staying on an even keel will (over time) validate for him that you are a safe place and also a place where he can't "walk all over you".  Both can be true.

Best,

FF

blackorchid

« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2021, 08:30:01 AM »

if only it was that simple.    for him to 'get better' he will require years of therapy and a willingness to look at hard and painful memories.    to some degree he is always going to feel like this... however he can respond to it better.    BPD can't really be cured... it can be managed.

Yes, I understand that.  He was finally at a place where he was talking about going to therapy.  He could just never seem to get the final push to actually make the appointment/ attend the appointment. The one he actually made was 3 weeks away and by then he had convinced himself that he didn't need it and didn't attend.  This was through April/May

SET.   

Support :   You've said its important to stay away -   (notice the sentence starts with You... not I... the 'You" changes the focus.. onto him and his message)

Empathy:   I understand that is what you want right now (you don't have to agree with him,  you do have to acknowledge his message)   

Truth:   Still, a letter has come for you today that you should see. ( Use the word Still, not the word But...  'But' negates the things you just said prior and you don't want to do that.  again notice the lack of I statements right now... and the amount of you statements?

Support:   I want to get this letter to you in the best possible way.   (you are still supporting his current position) that contact is impossible.

Empathy:   I know this is hard on both of us.

Truth:  Here is what I can do... I can put the letter in XYZ for you to pick up... or I can give the letter ABC to give to you.    which would you rather?

obviously you would have to tweak the language here to make it something you would feel comfortable actually saying... use your words.   I just provided an example.    when you give him choices in the last truth statement,  only pick two.   do not say 'how do you want to get it?' because right now his executive function is compromised and he can't figure out how he wants to get it.    and when you pick two choices make sure they are reasonable for you... not something you have to run across town or jump through hoops to make happen.

Ok this makes sense. Thank you babyducks, especially the me making 2 choices.  Maybe i could offer to open it and send a photo (like he asked a couple of weeks ago) and to either post it/wait for him to arrange it being collected

Wonderful discussion on options.  How much of this feels like a "foreign language" to you?

For me..that was the helpful metaphor.

It will likely take trial and error to figure out how "ignoring" or "delaying" messages goes.

On the one hand you don't want to be on his beck and call and "have to" respond to text within a short time or else he goes off the rails.  On the other hand you need to understand "abandonment" is often a central trigger for BPD.

This is a conundrum you will have to learn to manage.

Especially at this early stage of learning a new "language"  TIME IS YOUR FRIEND because you need time to decipher "what he is really saying" (see examples above).

Even then..it can be reading tea leaves

Plus...be deliberate about leaving the door open for what you want/need.

please don't try to use these exact words...they are for you to get the gist of this idea.

him:  blah blah blah pack up my stuff..a friend will come get it...blah blah

you:  Sounds important, I imagine you are be busy.. I've got time to discuss over coffee at (insert convenient place)...does noon or 1 work better for you?

Maybe that kinda also fits the SET format.  It shows him he is not ignored but also doesn't solve his issue...the door is left open for what you want (real conversation).

The little twist at the end will also take trial and error.  Some pwBPD work better with dichotomous stuff (would you like a or b) or you may find "what time works best for you?" is a better approach.

There is another little "rule" tucked back in here.  Hand the work back to them  Especially if it's their work.

You don't want "validate" for them that they can control others to "do their work" for them, especially while they are skipping out on normal relationship stuff like "having conversations".

We've thrown a lot at you?  How are you feeling?  Too much too soon or hungry for more?

Best,

FF

Thanks FF that also makes sense. I don't think the meeting for coffee will work as an option. He is staying at the hotel accommodation which is in the tourist town about 1/2 an hour away but there's very limited public transport options between here and there.  Without a car it's almost impossible and very time consuming. Plus, he might take that as forcing him rn?  But I like the rule tucked in of handing their work back to them, that makes sense too.

It doesn't feel like "foreign language" more like the language I haven't practised in a while and I'm a bit fuzzy at right now. Like how I would be if I spoke Spanish right now after a long break of practising it.

I'm feeling ok thank you.  Having things to think about and contemplate and work on is good, a good proactive way of keeping busy.

I put an insta story of our dog swimming this morning he has replied to the story with "miss her"

I see what you mean now about little pings he does

Hopefully just a bit more to tie all these threads together.

I do agree he is most likely saying "I'm so afraid (or perhaps ASHAMED) to see you in person..so I will send another guy."

So...there is an obvious line of thinking where seeing you in person for coffee would see to be the opposite thing from what he wants.  And..perhaps that is true.

Yet...perhaps he doesn't want to see you in person IN YOUR HOME.  Home my scream "intimacy"..whereas "just coffee" might "say" casual to him and be acceptable.

No way to know what will work...trial and error and thoughtful reflection on the results of what you try.

Let the "tension" or "incentives" work for the favor of the relationship and let him solve these internal battles himself..even if he does it badly.  

You staying on an even keel will (over time) validate for him that you are a safe place and also a place where he can't "walk all over you".  Both can be true.

Best,

FF

Makes sense about the coffee and meeting outside of home, in the past he has suggested that after a few weeks of him living elsewhere.  Even 2 weeks ago he suggested meeting in the park with our dog and some friends who were visiting, at the last moment he cancelled.  With this perspective I can see that he cancelled because he was afraid of what would happen and how he would feel. Actually, he has always suggested it being with his friend(s) initially, which has always annoyed me, but maybe that is his safety buffer net. They don't like their friends to see them dysregulated right so this has shed some light on that for me, thank you
blackorchid

« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2021, 11:26:57 AM »

OK he has just messaged me asking if I have packed his things, I'm going to use the SET templates from earlier but change the truth to his things? something like

You've said that you don't want to come here.  I understand that that's what you want right now. I haven't packed your things yet as I haven't been feeling well (unsure on this part).

or just I want to get your things to you in the best possible way. I know this is hard on us both. I can pack the things for your friend to collect or if you rather you can come when I'm out and then you can take what you need. I haven't packed them yet as I haven't been well this week

I'm going to ponder this whilst I walk the dog... Thank you FF for reminding me that time is on my side. Usually I would panic and message a short response out of fear for making him angry by not responding
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2021, 02:53:57 PM »

Once you create a  set or sentence...be deliberate about walking away from it.  Come back and hour later and cut out 50% of the words...look for JADE or anyplace you are "explaining".

I don't think you should said yes or no to his question...leave a door open for him to find out by coffee or some similar thing.

So..what would a message like that look like.

Oh yeah...good job with the SETs.  I would recommend trimming down words...but solid effort.

How did if "feel" trying to write that stuff out?

Best,

FF

blackorchid

« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2021, 02:17:13 AM »

Hi FF

I left it mostly as it was.  Finishing with the 2 options either his friend to come or him to come at a convenient time. It was:

You've said that you don't want to come here.  I understand that that's what you want right now. I haven't packed your things yet as I haven't been feeling well the past few days and haven't been able to work.
 I want to get your things to you in the best possible way. I know this is hard on us both. I can pack the things for your friend to collect or if you rather you can come when I'm out and then you can take what you need.

He responded almost immediately. I put hi how are you and then the SET message

He responded fine thanks you...(which is silly as in the SET i had stated I hadn't packed boxes as hadn't been well and had had to cancel lessons today)

I said I'm ok but I dont feel well. He asked why. I just told him time of the month, you know how ill I get. He said ok night. I just responded good night
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2021, 12:03:45 AM »

Staff only

This thread has reached its post limit and has been locked. The discussion continues here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=349779.0

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest