Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 04:42:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want my children to see my parents…  (Read 1162 times)
thankful person

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

Formerly known as broken person…

« on: November 05, 2021, 07:51:21 PM »

So I’ve been doing well with not getting into stupid arguments with my wife, and doing ok with small victories such as wearing something she told me never to wear. I am going with her choice to sell our house at a reduced price to secure our dream home. I’m still not sure which is the right decision with this but the choice may be taken out of our hands anyway.
My next goal is for the children to see my parents. My wife and my mother have a difficult relationship. Mum has always bent over backwards trying to please wife, but fails none the less. She has given us lots of money over the years. My wife feels that mum is not interested in her and does not talk to her. They talk on WhatsApp chat and my wife often complains that mum saw a message and didn’t reply, or was very short in her reply.
Mum cares for dad who has Parkinson’s disease. It is quite severe now and he is wheelchair bound. They have a special car to transport him. And in the summer they came round. We got some wonderful pictures of them with the baby, but the older one was crying by the time I took a picture, because she was tired and doesn’t know them. My wife felt mum just grabbed the baby and didn’t even acknowledge my wife. Wife said she didn’t want me to say anything, but then later said I should have made the choice myself. But it was just wonderful to see my parents so happy, do you really think I’d want to upset them?  My dad needed to go to the toilet (well he thought he did but mum said when they got home he didn’t). He has a catheter for urine but still uses the toilet for the other. But he needs a disabled toilet and hoist to get on the toilet so they had to leave early. Mum drove 1.5 hours here and then back again. She doesn’t like driving and is in her late 70’s.
My wife refuses for us or me to take the children up there (one is 2 years and one is 6 months). Her reasons are that the older one gets travel sick (she has meds now but we’ve never tried it). And that it would mess with both their sleep routines. (She sleeps with them both so it would be her having to deal with it because they would sleep in the car.) My parents have only met the older one a few times and baby once. I am heart broken over this. If we move house we will be even further away, but it is such a drama getting to them as it is that I don’t think it will make any difference. My wife just keeps saying, “they should come here, they did and it was fine”. Mum had suggested that either dad’s carer comes or his sister. Wife says no to carer as she doesn’t know her. No to sister as she doesn’t like her. Wife has offered for her parents to go up and help my mum bring dad here. But mum doesn’t want to do that. Wife’s dad is very angry with her for withholding the children from my parents. He has been saying we should stop off there on the 5.5 hour journey if we move. Whilst it is on the way, I think it would be hard as we have a crazy dog (also car sick, also has meds we haven’t tried…) And I don’t want it to feel like, this is the last time you’ll ever see us and we’re only stopping 20 mins.. So I don’t want to do move day.
The other day wife said, “I’m just thinking out loud, if we did go up it would be just for the morning and come home before lunch…” I trod carefully and said very little, just that my parents would love that. I’ve said before, sometimes she’ll make a choice herself if there’s no pressure, but she says she feels lots of pressure from my mum, her dad, me… My mum has always kept some of our toys and books for children visiting over the years and would love to show the children  and for them to see the house and garden. I don’t know where to take it from here. I even suggested just I take the older child but she doesn’t want that either. We have a car each (both on finance in my name) but as main carer she has both car seats isofixed in her car, they can be moved but it’s a hassle. I would have to leave her the baby car seat if I was taking the older one. I couldn’t take the baby on my own as she is breastfed, but it’s the older one I really want them to meet properly. By the way these babies are ivf conceived and biologically hers but legally mine too.

“Maybe I’ll get it right next time…” from “Estranged” by Guns N’ Roses
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Notwendy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 06:50:19 AM »

Your wife's response to your mother is not unusual. My BPD mother dislikes my father's relatives. One reason is that- they were "on" to her. They didn't buy into her persona. They knew there were issues. One reason for being critical of them is her fear they may have talked about her, especially to my father. Maybe he'd leave her? In my family we were not allowed to talk or acknowledge any of her behaviors. It was like the Emperor has no clothes.

My mother sees people as "on her side" or "not her side". My father needed to be on her side which meant keeping an emotional distance from anyone she considered "not her side". Your wife also expects that you be "on her side". I don't think her feelings were caused by your parents in any way. I think she's afraid they may comment on her behavior to you.

babyducks

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 08:18:59 AM »

Hello Broken Person

I am glad to see you looking at the relationship with your parents and how they are being treated.

Mum has always bent over backwards trying to please wife, but fails none the less.

It seems that recently you have noticed that the more you appease your wife the more she wants to be appeased.    but when you stand up for your own autonomy and individualism she responds in a neutral way.   I am going to suggest that this will apply to your Mother too.    The more you walk on eggshells the more your pwBPD believes you should walk on eggshells.    It validates their concept of being the victim.

Mum cares for dad who has Parkinson’s disease. It is quite severe now and he is wheelchair bound.

from what you write it seems that travel is no longer possible for your parents, that they are beyond being able to move around comfortably and safely.    I would say that this just isn't an option any more.     'they should come here, they did and it was fine' isn't on the table.    Your father needs to be in an environment where he can take care of his special needs.

I am wondering what would happen if you started regularly visiting yourself.    I would suspect that you would need to prepare your wife for the idea that you will be traveling to see your parents.   perhaps once she gets used to that idea it would be easier for her tolerate one or both of the children going.   I wouldn't suggest you attempt to make this all about the family going.   at least not yet.   start with regular trips yourself.    pick a reasonable time frame and a reasonable day.   work on communicating your intentions.    

what do you think?

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Notwendy

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 08:46:45 AM »

is your wife reliable being left on her own with both babies? I think you work from home- I don't know if she can manage with you being away?

Travelling with two small children can be a challenge even in the best of circumstances- but this isn't likely the issue with your wife. My guess is she sees your parents as some sort of threat to her position.

Ducks is right in that appeasing behavior leads to more of the behavior and more appeasing.

Your wife, IMHO, is being inconsiderate of your parents but with everyone appeasing her,  she really has no incentive to be kind to them.

Your parents are also in a tough position as they love you and the children and probably fear not appeasing her.

You can't control her or force her to see your parents. I think Ducks is correct- you won't get permission for her to go, and she may not be able to manage both children. If she's able to manage the infant on her own, it may work for you to visit with the older child. However, you do this, it needs to be a non negotiable.

khibomsis

Relationship status: Grieving

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 10:49:37 AM »

Dear BP, totally with Notwendy and Babyducks on this one. Not letting crazy run your life is essential to staying with a pwBPD. Set your boundaries in a way you can live with. You can't need her permission.
Our relationship changed for the better the day I realized I had better make life comfortable for me because the BPD was what it was. 3-4 years of therapy at least and that is if they are very willing and work very hard. In the meantime I have to live my life around it. Not having boundaries will drive me crazy and that is no help to her. Steady consistency is what works.
It takes time, start slowly indeed, and gradually. We are all learning.  Figure out what you need to be comfortable with yourself and just do it.
 Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

thankful person

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 06:54:15 PM »

Thanks everyone,
Not Wendy, my wife is fine looking after the children on her own, she does this when I’m working out and at home. However she does try to make me feel guilty because she can’t “do anything with them” on her own, she feels she can’t take them out, with a breast fed baby and demanding toddler I do understand her feelings on this. Sometimes she meets friends but her friends are notoriously unreliable and generally unstable.
There are mind games and power play going on here. It worked eventually, when I announced the non negotiable boundary that I would be taking and sending baby photos to mum. But I handled it very poorly because it was just before I discovered this forum! Amazingly it seems my wife is taking and sending more photos to our mums  herself recently. I want to handle this as well as possible. If we are moving soon then i will only have a few weeks to arrange and execute the plan. We should know soon whether the new buyer is messing us around. Of course I fully have the intention of still seeing my parents when we are further away, but I want to put something into action before we leave, to make it feel more achievable.
Ducks, I had already decided to do a few visits to parents on my own before we go. This is why I suspect there are some mind games going on. I think wife suspected that I would do this, following my recent visit. So she throws a curve ball: “maybe I might consider us all going, if it was just for the morning…” I feel like this is supposed to stop me going on my own. She’d be like, “fine, go on your own without us  then”, which would mean it’s even less likely she or the kids would ever come. So if I mention it, I’m “putting on pressure” and get even more resistance. If I don’t mention it, it just won’t happen, just like when I wanted to see the John Lennon tribute in Central Park. I mentioned it a few times, she was like, “would you stop banging on about that?” I stopped mentioning it. And it didn’t happen.
There is no way she would allow me to take the older child on my own. I certainly couldn’t just insist on it, she would be snatching the child out of the car and upsetting her.
I know the advice is often just to do things rather than discuss. But I feel she needs to somehow be on board with the plan. And I still feel like saying then I won’t sign the house sale documents. But I know that is stupid and a separate and irrelevant issue.
So also, is it ever a good idea to discuss with others, such as my parents, how to handle my wife? I am inclined to not want to bother my mum with this nonsense. I think a lot of the time my wife’s paranoia goes over her head and I like it that way, mum has a hard enough time as it is. Like my wife was saying in the summer we’d use some special napkins at our party, and mum said, “you’ll have to remember not to pack them” as we had already started packing ready to move. My wife took this to be a snide remark about not wanting us to move, and proof that my mum has a nasty streak which I have never seen. Of course I disagree but as we all know it’s the kind of argument not worth having.
What is the best way to discuss this with my wife, without putting on pressure? (any mention of it is perceived as pressure, like my mum texts her things like, “don’t forget you’re always welcome here…” which my wife finds pushy. As I can’t just kidnap the child behind her back, even for a few hours. Whilst this may seem the easiest option it certainly wouldn’t be good for our relationship and may destroy us.

Notwendy

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 07:10:49 AM »

How aware are your parents about your wife's issues? There are pros and cons to discussing your wife with them. One main concern is triangulation. They will take your side because you are their daughter. If your wife hears of this, or perceives this, it will be troublesome.

The other part is their own relationship dynamics. It appears your mother is a caregiver type- that's a wonderful quality for a mother, but one can take it too far if there are poor boundaries. The dynamic of tolerating poor behavior - like they did with you, and it may also be with your wife, might make it hard for them to keep boundaries on your marriage- they may try to help too much.

On the other hand, understanding BPD and the relationship dynamics might help them to not take your wife's behavior personally and not react to it with hurt.

By now, it's possible they already suspect something odd might be going on? Or not?

I would think about this one carefully.

Keep in mind that as you speak to your wife about anything- you can not control what she thinks or says. I have found that my BPD mother can react to the slightest suggestion or question as if she's being pressured, but that also serves her to avoid doing things or dealing with things.

One exercise I learned in co-dependency work was to avoid the word "you". Only use "I". It feels awkward to do this but it makes you think about what you are saying. It is also less triggering although that's not the main point.

Look at these two statements:
"I feel sad for my parents that they don't get to see the grandchildren and would like to make plans to visit. I can go on my own with the older child, or we can go together. Which would you like to do?"

"You never want to visit my parents, that's not fair to them"

One is less confrontational.

You say your wife wants to do outings with the kids. Are there any interesting things for kids to do near your parents or on the way? A park or zoo, or other activities? One idea would be to combine the trip with something fun like trying out a new playground.

thankful person

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 04:09:44 PM »

Not Wendy, my parents know of my wife’s bpd diagnosis before we met, but I don’t think they really know what it means. Online she presents herself as having recovered from the self harm and eating disorders, and believes she doesn’t have bpd anymore. I have protected them from knowing many truths of our relationship, namely how little my wife used to work (before the kids), how much she spends, how controlling she is, and the occasional physical violence. I am inclined to stop trying to tell mum what to do or say, because she always seems to get it wrong, either she fails or forgets to do exactly what I said, or she does but it’s still wrong. I think maybe it benefits my wife more to be treated as a “normal” person, despite her having all these issues with mum.
I like your presentation of the “I” statements, and the giving of choices, which is something I use a lot in my teaching. This conversation about visiting my parents has happened on numerous occasions and I often use the line, “I just feel so sad that they don’t get to see the children”,  so if you are able, I would like further advice on her responses: “they can come here, they did it before and it was fine…” “I’m the one who has to deal with them being up all night…” “it’s not fair on child 1 who gets very sick” (although we do have meds we haven’t tried yet, because we don’t go very far). It’s a nice idea to combine it with another outing, but I think difficult at the moment as they older one has an after lunch nap so everything has to either be before or after that. Also it is getting cold in England for many outdoor activities.
By the way, another problem is that my wife is jealous of how much my mum loves the children and she feels, “they want to see them, not me”. Which, to be honest, is pretty correct. I think if wife did pick up any bad vibes from mum when they came in the summer, it could be because she is totally fed up with having to jump through hoops and was also so excited to see the grandchildren that she didn’t pay much attention to my wife. Unfortunately.
Another goal of mine is to start doing more video calls. I think this is something I just have to announce, but my wife rarely leaves me with the children (only for slimming world) and I don’t want to jump on the opportunity the moment she leaves the house. I don’t know when or how is the best time but I’m prepared to announce it without asking permission, which is something I generally have been doing with many things more recently.

Notwendy

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 06:58:02 AM »

Feelings may feel like facts, but we should not validate the invalid ( we can validate the feeling).

PwBPD tend to project their feelings on to other things or consider other "reasons" for the feeling. With how infrequent your children see your parents, it's unlikely they would prefer your parents to your wife. However, it's normal for children to be excited to see their grandparents if they have a good relationship with them. It's not a competition.

Not seeing your parents because your wife says she thinks they prefer them is validating the invalid. You are not going to change your wife's feelings by discussing them or appeasing them.

You also won't get your wife's sympathy for your parents. In the Karpman triangle, she needs to be the victim, the center of your concern. However, the fact is, your father is ill and may not be able to travel well. Although your older child has a medical condition, does this mean not seeing her grandparents? Somehow it seems a toddler can manage car trips better. They sleep in the car seats, and porta cribs. An adult can't do this. One can also organize time in the car with nap time and bedtime as kids can sleep just fine in a car seat on a trip.

First think of how to say this. Don't JADE, just repeat.

"I'd like to bring the kids to visit my parents"

Then the reason. "they like your mother better than me"

Then validate the feeling " I understand that you feel that way but I would like to bring the kids to visit my parents"

Then just repeat - don't JADE.

As to the youngest being breast fed. Eventually, infants begin adding solid food. They may still breast feed but eventually they begin to add more foods and nurse less. They also begin drinking from a cup. It is possible for them to be away from their mother at times and let the mother use a breast pump for the missed feeding. Mothers who work outside the home do this. As long as the baby is frequently nursing, this won't change their nursing situation. However, eventually they will wean no matter what.

Parents with PD's tend to see children as extensions of themselves. The nursing bond is a special time for all parents. But our purpose isn't to have them dependent on us for everything- it's to support their growth. They will learn to feed themselves, dress themselves. They will go to school. Each milestone is a time of sadness and celebration of the next step. Perhaps these are not easy for your wife to manage which is why she wants another baby when there are signs that the infant stage is changing. It's normal to be sad as the baby is more independent, but also happy to see the growth and embrace the new stage. You can validate your wife's feelings while not trying to fix them.

Soon enough, the little one will manage a trip to see your parents without depending on nursing for nutrition during that time.

zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 07:46:16 AM »

You've gotten some really good responses here. I admire your strength in seeing your wife's behaviors and starting to set healthier boundaries with her. It could be very helpful to keep documentation of your wife's behaviors somewhere so if there are ever legal issues in the future, you have proof of what kind of challenges you have had with her and be more able to do what is best for you and your children. You can document what she is doing by writing carefully detailed descriptions of behaviors and events, while keeping everything you write in chronological order without making any changes, and this will all be considered genuine legal documentation for court of any kind if you ever need it.

thankful person

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 04:18:21 PM »

Not Wendy, I wish I could tell you that I was successful, but in we had a talk and in the end my wife said, “I’m open to the idea” of visiting my parents all together, which I think is progress, and said that she wants to know whether we’re moving away, to decide whether we go up sooner or nearer Christmas. I know that she is still in charge and I’m disappointed I couldn’t do more. But I managed to discuss it without confrontation, which is also progress for me. I remember someone here saying a while ago, “she’s not capable of feeling sad for your parents” or something like that. And yet I’ve still always tried this angle. It’s hard to get why she just doesn’t seem to care, even though they are elderly. It has made me realise how much I need to work on self-compassion because I realise how angry I am with myself. I want to become stronger to set a good example and role model for my children. And trying to talk more kindly to myself and remember I’m doing this for my children and my parents and myself. I also hope my wife will feel more at peace, as much as possible, once I am more strong and stable. I’m continuing to set small goals, like I’m planning tomorrow to either have child wear the dress again, or video call my parents. I don’t know if either will happen. I have to judge moment by moment whether it’s a good idea. Although I’m making progress I don’t want to set things back by making too many changes. Thanks again for all your advice and support.
Zachira, thank you I don’t feel very strong at all but I’m hoping to feel stronger the more I push through all the restrictions that have been placed upon me only partially with my consent. Secret documentation could be a good idea, do you have any suggestions for where I could hide it? I have no privacy in the physical or online world. Btw the only reason I’m able to be a regular on here is because my wife sleeps with the children in our bed and I’m in the spare room with the dog.

thankful person

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 10:29:04 PM »

She has just texted me this at 4.20am:
“This is my prime example why I’m saying no to parents! I’m absolutely exhausted and she’s STILL AWAKE and I am the one having to deal with it”
So she’s now going back on what she pretty much agreed. She is talking about the older child. I go in at 2.30am every night to give the younger one some meds. I didn’t respond anything about parents visits. I just said, “I can take her downstairs if you like”, and she’s like, “I’ll still have to deal with her when she comes up.” And I said “unless she goes in her cot” (where she has day time naps) and she said, “that’s stupid!”

Notwendy

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2021, 05:13:26 AM »

One reason to not rock the boat too much is that you are concerned that if you push it so far it might take a major toll on the relationship. What about your wife? One thing I have noticed is that they do see where something has pushed too far, and then at that point, behave nicely- the push/pull. But it's important to not be manipulative, or threats,  and use fear of losing the relationship to get this good behavior.

However, asserting oneself does come with the fear of possibly losing the relationship. There's a sort of balance between two people. I think this fear is what drives one to give in too much. The other possibility is that if the partner is invested in the relationship, they will learn to accept a new balance, in time. There can be an adjustment- an extinction burst- but eventually acceptance of new boundaries.

A true boundary needs to be non negotiable. This means, we uphold it no matter what the other person does. There may likely be pushback on their part. They also have choices too. If visiting your parents requires cooperation on her part, it might not be something you have control over.

One boundary you can control is a video session. I think it's easier to schedule this. For instance " I will video call with the kids every other Sunday at noon before nap" or something that fits the schedule. Then you do it no matter what. She may react poorly at first so you will back down, but you need to stay with it if it is to be a true boundary. So be sure to choose something you can stick with- once a month, twice a month- you decide what you can do.

thankful person

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2021, 06:27:37 AM »

Thanks not Wendy,
I am sitting in the car trying not to cry, just finished my 3 hour cleaning job. My wife is still in a terrible mood today and just texted me a thumbs down in response to my nice message where I said, I love you. I pushed it a little too far I think when I put my Facebook profile picture of me and our child, without her in it. The next few days I am busy and Sunday is my only day off, so Monday - Wednesday morning will be best for the video call. I shall decide at the time depending on our plans, and at the time let my wife know I intend to make it every other week but at least once a month if we’re busy or mum doesn’t answer. What do you think of that? I don’t feel like going home, but I will go and give my children a big cuddle. The older one was crying when I left (very tired) but she managed to stop to say, “see you later” in her usual cheery voice. She is learning resilience and I really want to help with that. Deep breaths, don’t cry.

babyducks

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 08:06:28 AM »

Hello BP -

let's take a couple of deep breaths here and slow any lingering emotional reactions.     

as you have said several times;  you are aware that this would be a difficult and problematic issue to work on.    and here we are.    having just what you anticipated; a reaction to any loss of control for your wife.

She has just texted me this at 4.20am:
“This is my prime example why I’m saying no to parents! I’m absolutely exhausted and she’s STILL AWAKE and I am the one having to deal with it”
So she’s now going back on what she pretty much agreed. She is talking about the older child. 

You knew this would happen.     and you can deal with this.    the idea is to be calmly and gently but firmly consistent.   and to look deeply and honestly at what else is going on here.   let's look at sleep hygiene and sleep patterns.    the children sleep with her, you sleep in the spare room with the dog.   how do you see the power dynamic in this?    who has all the power?   who has all the control?     why is the control important?   in the family hierarchy, where does this put you?    why are you in a different part of the house away from your family?   let's look beyond any practical reasons, and whether they are legitimate or pretend.    let's look deeper, at what emotional reasons are behind this, who they benefit and why.   

here are my two cents.   for what they are worth.     first - I am not wildly enthusiastic about the text.     she's upstairs.   you are downstairs.    She could have gotten up, come downstairs, given you either child, asked for you to come upstairs, expressed concern about Child1 not sleeping.    but somehow none of that happened.     this isn't about problem solving.    this isn't about why is Child1 not sleep.    what is this all about?

looking back at this after a couple of days and with some distance what do you see happening here?    if you had to write this message all over again in different words - what would it say?    if you focus on just the emotions, what do you see?

do you maybe see "I'm unhappy and upset.   I'm lashing out." 
do you maybe see "I don't trust anyone else to parent my children, I must do it only by myself."
is it a surprise that she would conflate the sleep with your parents?   the two don't really relate you know.     New parents are often exhausted.    Young babies and children don't always have regulated sleep patterns.     The persons who is supposed to be there to support and help - YOU - has been relegated to the spare room.     When you offer a solution, she rejects it.   

What I see happening behind all the surface stuff is when she feels her control over the children, over her environment, over you slipping a little she doubles down.    lashes out and tightens the grip she has on all things.

NotWendy is spot on. 
Excerpt
Parents with PD's tend to see children as extensions of themselves

changing tracks, a little, what are you doing for yourself - to take care of yourself and be kind to yourself today?

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
zachira
Ambassador

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2021, 08:30:04 AM »

You can document your wife's behaviors on your computer, as long as you have the right kind of security so she cannot read your files. You can ask other members for suggestions on how to best do this, as there are many people on this site who are more savvy about computer security than I am. 

thankful person

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2021, 05:48:15 PM »

Thank you zachira, I don’t have a computer, I wonder if there’s anything else I could do?
Ducks, you are absolutely right. In fact I knew (believed) even before we had kids, that she would never let me take them anywhere without her. I’m not sure what to do about it though. I’ll go with not Wendy’s idea about regular video calls. I feel stronger to insist on it having agreed to sell our house and now with her refusing the visit to my folks. She was just waiting for an excuse to change her mind.. I’m finding it hard to look after myself. I have been playing the piano, only with headphones when they were all still asleep, but also playing in between lessons, I don’t know if wife knows about it, not that it matters but I want her to know Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) like I’m looking forward to telling her one day when she’s asks what I’ve been up to. If she challenges it I’m going to say, “I enjoy playing the piano, so I’ve decided to start doing it again”. Sounds ok? I’m struggling with guilt. So I finally stopped fixating on the fact that I broke my ex’s heart, when it clicked that I was also some kind of caretaker for him, and that he didn’t actually treat me that well. So I now have room for a new kind of guilt. And my mum makes me feel worse. This is the guilt of my parents never seeing the children. I was very close to my mum’s mum (now passed) and my mum often mentions how sad granny would be to know all that’s going on with them not seeing the grandchildren.

zachira
Ambassador

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2021, 05:52:35 PM »

Can you take regular videos of your wife with the children and other family members?

thankful person

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2021, 06:11:42 PM »

Can you take regular videos of your wife with the children and other family members?
I’m not sure what you mean, for what purpose would I do this?

gypsyJedi

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2021, 12:36:53 PM »

You’re not going to like what I’m going to say. I’ve spent 47 years in a relationship like yours. My children are grown (as yours will be) and they resent me for staying in the marriage. I don’t see my grandchildren any more and it’s absolutely killing me. Maybe things would be different if I had left years ago
Notwendy

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2021, 01:01:48 PM »

I think this could play out different ways when the children are grown. But one day- they will ( hopefully because you want them to be emotionally mature and self sufficient adults) outgrow your wife emotionally and have their own opinions about this.

In my situation, I didn't resent my father for staying with my BPD mother but I did wonder why he tolerated her behavior ( which I understand better now but know it's a dysfunctional dynamic). However, there was friction between her and me as I became more mature over time. I was enlisted as an emotional caretaker from an early age- that is the only normal I knew, but it wasn't normal. The Karpman triangle is a good model for how we interacted in the family. One gets to either be a rescuer or an enabler. A persecutor is essential for the rescuer-enabler and victim bond.

I have had difficulty understanding my father's choices. His relationship with my mother was paramount to him, regardless of how much distress or unhappiness he or anyone else might have had to endure for it. Not his parents, not his siblings, not even his children were as relevant as I now realize. He chose to give up a lot for this relationship.

So for Broken Person- yes the choice to appease over your parent's feelings is one of these- however, what is different now is that you are attempting to not accept this and still keep the bonds with your parents. As your children get older, they may also have conflicts with your wife and the choice can become her contentment over your relationship with them.

I am so sorry Gypsy that this evolved in your family. I don't know what issues your children are concerned about, however, my advice as always is to have an open and honest discussion with them, make amends for anything on your part such as if you ignored or enabled any abuse. Unless they have some kind of mental health issue or are disordered, or just plain mean, there has to be a lot of emotional pain on their part to have made this choice. For any repair to happen, this has to be addressed. Even if it doesn't result in seeing the grandchildren, you will have done your part.

I will say that my father was in love with my mother and chose her. Her children on the other hand, didn't feel the same way as he did. We try to be decent people, she is our mother after all, but we don't have the same wish to appease, emotionally caretake her in the way he did. One can not expect children to feel the same or make the same choice a partner does.

thankful person

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2021, 05:08:15 PM »

You’re not going to like what I’m going to say. I’ve spent 47 years in a relationship like yours. My children are grown (as yours will be) and they resent me for staying in the marriage. I don’t see my grandchildren any more and it’s absolutely killing me. Maybe things would be different if I had left years ago
Gypsy Jedi I am so sorry to hear of your heart breaking situation. Did you know at the time that your children wished for you to leave the marriage? I’m sure not Wendy is right, that they must be in much pain to make the choice not to see you. Please share some more of your story if you would like to. I appreciate all input.
I am trying so hard to get things right. It has been so so difficult around here the past few weeks. One might think that things would be calmer as I’m reading and learning now how better to deal with my wife. One might think that, if they were not familiar with bpd… I am learning that there are ways to validate her feelings and use words which make her respond more calmly. I am finding this very hard to be honest. But what I am finding more difficult is the overwhelming new understanding that I have, that I have to stand up to her, for my sake, for my children, and for my parents. I am making changes and she hates it. I am wearing clothes she told me not to wear, I am playing the piano (a little bit). I tried to video call parents again today but they didn’t answer sadly. But the worst thing I did today was booked in a piano student for an extra one hour lesson next Saturday, as his exam is coming up and I did this WITHOUT HER PERMISSION. Despite his exam coming up, the fact is we need the money, which is because only I work and only as much as she’ll let me, and she spends all the money we don’t have.
I am trying. I really am. Not Wendy, if I hadn’t found the forum and learnt of your story… I think my family would become exactly like your childhood family. But I am heeding your warnings and trying so so hard to escape what I read in my book is a narcissistic family system, where the needs of one parent come above everything else including the children. I am cuddling my daughter when she wants me to. My wife knows I am standing up to her. She doesn’t know why or anything I’m learning. But I know she could choose that this isn’t the relationship she wants (she has threatened it enough). And if it comes down to it then I will have deal with the break up and ensuing custody battle (she reckons she’d get like 90% custody).

Notwendy

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2021, 05:39:16 AM »

Broken Person- I am glad you are trying and yes, it is difficult but for your sake and the children's sake- you know these family dynamics- where one person's needs become the singular focus and rule the family - are not good for anyone in the family and even not good for the person of focus.

One reason why posters have suggested video of your wife's angry behavior is if in case of a custody battle. Your wife is good with cuddling babies, but children grow up and soon may be engaged in similar dynamics with your wife as she looks to them to meet her needs too. You know it isn't in their best interest for her to have sole custody. I know you hope it does not come to this but it may help you to advocate for joint or sole custody if you ever needed to do that.

Gypsy- it might help to look at the family board at the children of a BPD parent posts and see what a struggle it is to even consider cutting contact with an abusive BPD parent- no matter what that parent has done. This is because a parent is such a significant relationship. We don't want to do this. It's done out of desperation and a last resort after trying to communicate to a parent to stop the behavior and realizing that just doesn't work. As to the other parent- that parent often sides with their partner and doesn't acknowledge the child's situation. They don't want to cut contact with the partner but resisting an abusive relationship with one parent also involves the partner too.

Unless your children are cruel or disordered themselves, they have likely tried other ways to communicate their situation with you, and that has not been effective. If at all possible, you do have the opportunity to make amends. It is likely going to be hard to hear what they have to say, but consider that in the kind of family dynamics they grew up in, they don't feel heard. You may not be able to change your access to the grandchildren but don't approach this with a motive. They are likely not going to believe you if you do that. They need to know you are doing this because they matter to you, regardless of the outcome. Taking this step could possibly mean a lot to them.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 05:53:11 AM by Notwendy » Logged
thankful person

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2021, 04:06:56 PM »

Thanks not Wendy,
I don’t know how people make videos of an angry bpd, I would expect their phone would end up getting smashed against the wall.
I wanted to let you know I video called my mother today. She was out shopping so I didn’t see dad, but my daughter enjoyed seeing granny on the screen and my wife even held up the baby to say hi.

thankful person

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2021, 06:43:11 PM »

Update: today my wife announced that she has been thinking about us visiting my parents this coming Sunday. She agreed that it was a good idea to check with them as they often have other visitors and I know my wife wouldn’t want this. So it is all arranged. My mum was so happy. I am happy too but I just can’t quite believe it until it happens.
I just would like some general advice please, if anyone would like to share their thoughts. I’m worried my wife will change her mind, with some excuse, something that doesn’t exactly make sense. This has happened before with other arrangements we have made. We have established on this thread that I do need her cooperation. I genuinely think she would physically snatch the child away from me if I just said I was taking her. She does not generally get physical these days but then I don’t ever take away the children, even for a few hours.
If we do make it there then we are only staying for an hour then leaving. But my mum was still happy, she said it was like a Christmas present. My wife generally feels that my parents ignore her and aren’t interested in her and don’t care about her. Could it be a good idea to try and get mum to include her more? Or is this just caretaking? Wife feels that everything is about no. 1 the children and no. 2 me. She won’t entertain the idea of me going without her though, with just one of the children.
Another thing my wife hates is that mum prints out pictures of our children from Facebook, or that we sent to her, and puts them in frames. I thought this was quite a normal thing to do but my wife hates it. She never wanted my mum to have any pictures and also hates her showing them to other people. I’m ashamed to say that when baby 1 was tiny, I refused to send mum pictures so she could show her friends, because wife forbid it. I have moved onto taking and sending photos but it’s been a hard road. Also, her mum doesn’t print pictures and frame them (she’s says she doesn’t know how, although her husband could help her). I went to parents a few weeks ago and didn’t tell my wife about these pictures (she has not been there since we had the children), so I also feel she will be angry with me about this. One of the pictures mum has of the kids, we had printed and bought a sister frame online but it was smashed when we got it so we never got round to getting a different frame. It’s now packed in a box for moving so we don’t even see it.
I am so nervous. I just so want this to go well. We may be moving far away soon and it will be harder though not impossible to see my parents. Obviously I can go when I want, but not with the children. I really appreciate any of your thoughts. It is now fairly predictable how my wife will act and react and what will upset her. Yet she continues to surprise me for some reason. And it doesn’t make it any easier.

babyducks

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2021, 04:48:47 AM »

I’m worried my wife will change her mind, with some excuse, something that doesn’t exactly make sense. This has happened before with other arrangements we have made.

well its possible that she will change her mind.   and it's understandable you are thinking along those lines.    what you can do is work to think how you will react if she changes at the last minute.   I would suggest you make the trip anyhow.    and stay as long as you think reasonable.

I genuinely think she would physically snatch the child away from me if I just said I was taking her. She does not generally get physical these days but then I don’t ever take away the children, even for a few hours.

this is concerning.     the bpdfamily site has a strong safety first message.  safety for you and safety for the children.   getting physical with you or with the children is not okay.    the oldest child is probably old enough now to understand or react to the 'snatching' or pushing if something were to break out.    i understand you aren't ready but this is where a professional could/would be invaluable.   

Could it be a good idea to try and get mum to include her more? Or is this just caretaking?

which do you think it is BP?   

It is now fairly predictable how my wife will act and react and what will upset her. Yet she continues to surprise me for some reason. And it doesn’t make it any easier.

your wife has a very high need to obsessively control the things around her so she feels in control of herself.    it's a maladaptive coping technique.    the more control she puts on the people and things around her the more she believes she is better for it.    except it's not working.   of course.    the more she controls things, or tries to control things that do not belong to her the further she moves into a distorted reality.   the more reality distorts for her the more cognitive dissonance you have to deal with.   

'ducks

Notwendy

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2021, 06:14:33 AM »

It's hard to predict what she will do, but I suggest you pay a lot of positive attention to her- positive reinforcement- how wonderful she is for helping plan a trip to see your parents. I wouldn't go overboard but maybe bring her something nice- a thank you card, flowers, something special for being so nice.

Your wife is making more meaning out of a "normal" response of grandparents. Of course it's all about the grandbabies and when they are little, they are always the center of attention. Your parents perceive your wife as an adult. They don't fawn over adults, but small children- yes of course they do, especially when they are their grandbabies.

However, your wife's emotional age may be much younger and she may make meaning out of the attention on the grandchildren. It's similar to her feelings when you pay attention to other things besides her- like a student or the kids. Your parents don't know this ( and probably not a good idea to discuss your wife with them)- they see an adult, and expect adult behavior.

However, I think if your mother is receptive, asking her ( in private) to make a gesture of paying more attention to your wife might help smooth things over. Is it emotional caretaking? It might be just meeting your wife at the emotional place she is.

But it also has to be authentic. I have noticed that my mother's FOO makes a big fuss over her, telling her how wonderful she is. It seems strange to me to see them do this, as I don't do this with adults to that extent, but I also see where they have learned to meet her at the emotional place she is at.  On one hand, it sometimes looks patronizing- don't do that- your wife will see right through that-, but she seems to crave and respond well to a lot of praise and compliments.
thankful person

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2021, 06:34:39 PM »

Ducks and not Wendy, thank you as always for your responses.
I will certainly do the trip alone if wife and kids aren’t coming for whatever reason. That’s a great idea. My wife is very much into Christmas and wants to drop off gifts way before Christmas and see her family next week too, especially as we’re still not sure if we’re moving soon. So I’m hopeful that this will go ahead.
Not Wendy that’s also a nice idea to thank wife with some flowers, I’m just a bit wary of doing it before the event though but of course if it doesn’t go ahead I’d have lost my chance. “Catch them being good” was the catchphrase in early childhood behaviour management training. I know it’s not quite the same but it’s happened before where I’ve missed such an opportunity to say how happy and proud I am of her. I guess, although it could be thought of as pressure, it also displays my confidence that she won’t change her mind (even though I have no idea).
My mum is usually very good at handling people, she would be respectful and not over the top, so I’ll try and chat to her about this if I get the chance, just that wife likes to be included, talked to about herself, and probably good to thank her for coming too even though we all know it really shouldn’t be necessary. I’ll just have to deal with whatever happens. I feel sad cos my mum is loving and it’s true she is more excited about the grandchildren than anything else but I’m ok with that. Would you believe it when our littlest was fighting for her life in nicu my wife got upset because everyone was asking, “how’s the baby?” Whilst I get that it’s nice to also ask about the mother, I couldn’t believe that she was actually upset that other people were worried about our baby.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2021, 07:10:33 PM »

Great advice going on in this thread.  I'm hoping to the trip moves forward and happens.

My one small tidbit of advice...instead of "being afraid" that your wife will change her mind...adopt a  "ok.."mind changing" is core to who my wife is..."   and be ready for it.  Mindset is very important...it will help you with your "tone".

Best,

FF

thankful person

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2021, 12:44:35 AM »

Thanks FF,
Yes I realised years ago that it is actually futile to express any disappointment or anger or anything else, when my wife changes her mind. Emotionally this particular one will be my hardest challenge yet. Interestingly, I have found  that if she says she’s changed her mind and is no longer doing something or going somewhere.. I have discovered that if I just say, “ok”, then there is actually a large possibility that within the next half hour or so she will suddenly say, “ok, let’s go”. Sometimes I’m confused because she says something like, “right I’ll get bits ready and you get kids in the car..” and I’m like, “hang on, so are we doing the thing we’re not doing, or are we doing something else?” I think the key is that when she can feel she’s in control, then she feels less pressure and is then happier to make that choice. I am just trying to navigate the fine line between working with an emotionally unstable partner to get what I want, and not giving into her every demand. As an aside, I did buy her flowers, a little Christmas tree, and some ice cream to say thank you, but then thought better of it, as when I gave it to her I could imagine her saying, “oh so you only got these cos of the family trip? You wouldn’t have got it if it wasn’t for that?”

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest