Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 02:45:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SET Method  (Read 755 times)
Jane534
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: I am registering because I work with clients with BPD

« on: October 11, 2022, 09:23:31 AM »

Hello!  I work with adults that are on the spectrum and have BPD.  I want to master the SET method so that I can train teams...is there an online training that might be available? 
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

PearlsBefore

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 10:43:37 AM »

Hi, glad you found your way here; technically the thread is in the incorrect subforum (this is more for technical website issues) so will be moved, and then the URL will change and a new one provided...don't be surprised, it may look like it's been deleted but it hasn't, just moved.

That said, I didn't instantly recognise SET - but google-fu shows https://peoplepsych.com/support-empathy-truth-set-for-borderline-personality/ which says "SET stands for SUPPORT, EMPATHY, and TRUTH. It was developed by Jerold J. Kreisman, MD, and Hal Straus, the authors of I Hate You, Don’t Leave Me and Sometimes I Act Crazy." Technically I wasn't a large fan of that book-set as I found them overly conciliatory - and while the pwBPD who gave them to me was a fan of the "flattering" description of techniques, etc - they didn't seem to actually work. That said, of course every case is slightly different - so I'm not saying it's a bad system, just that in my experience the Kreisman/Straus methods were a little too feel-good.  Then again, I'm also a relatively strong critic of Marsha Linehan - so maybe I'm just overly critical. (I criticise Kreger's lack of depth in writing, but her actual analysis of BPD seems legit).

Personally I'll always ship/cheer Kernberg and Lawson as the best insights without pulling any punches, though it may be that I lean towards the Austrian school as the methods are more Freudian (in the real sense, not the "do yoga and picture yourself as a lotus flower emerging while you're in your mother's bed" sense that one professional in our family's life has recently attempted to my strong condemnation).

Cast not your pearls before swine, lest they trample them, and turn and rend you. --- I live in libraries; if you find an academic article online that you can't access but might help you - send me a Private Message.
Jane534
Fewer than 3 Posts

Relationship status: I am registering because I work with clients with BPD

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 11:02:43 AM »

Thank you for your input.  My job is a bit different...I am an LCSW...but I work more on the behavioral/training side of things.  We support adults with complex mental health needs, but also have a diagnosis of intellectual disabilities and/or autism.  It is so hard to find good resources for my cases.  The SET method might help my clients feel "heard".  Any resources that you can recommend is really apprectiated!
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 09:12:48 PM »

We have plenty of material here.

Top level article from the TIPS green pull down at the top of the board: https://bpdfamily.com/content/ending-conflict

Click on the READ MORE link at the end for an in depth discussion.

We have over a decade of material on this board:

Library: Tools and skills workshops

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 09:41:28 PM »

Hello!  I work with adults that are on the spectrum and have BPD.  I want to master the SET method so that I can train teams...is there an online training that might be available? 

Just to add on...

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=143695.0

Cheers and best wishes!

-SC-

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest