Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 09:30:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Splitting: False Memories/Highly Detailed Factual Accuracy in BPD  (Read 778 times)
Amina

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Troubled

« on: March 20, 2023, 11:06:00 AM »

The oddest thing when my partner splits me into a devaluation phase, the reality testing and made up events do occur, and as if he truly believes them or the distorted exaggerations himself.  When he returns to a grounded, authentic place (the idealization is woven in and out to greater or lesser extent with his ability to be grounded, and tends not to be too fantastical) his memories of our past experiences, facts, and moments together are highly accurate and factual, and detailed-- sometimes I think more than most people I know.  I don't know if anyone else has experienced this quality?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 04:38:51 AM »

My experience with my pwBPD is that they can take accurate snapshots and quotes and file them away. However they are filed away without any context. Down the track they can be pulled out like so many cut and paste snippets and applied to suit any context of the moment. This is what can play with your mind as on the surface it flies close to reality but is actually quite a corrupt retelling leaving you questioning your own recollections as on the surface they appear more accurate, whereas your memory is more biased towards context with the trivial details not so sharp.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Smedley Butler

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 01:28:58 PM »

Excerpt
My experience with my pwBPD is that they can take accurate snapshots and quotes and file them away. However they are filed away without any context. Down the track they can be pulled out like so many cut and paste snippets and applied to suit any context of the moment. This is what can play with your mind as on the surface it flies close to reality but is actually quite a corrupt retelling leaving you questioning your own recollections as on the surface they appear more accurate, whereas your memory is more biased towards context with the trivial details not so sharp.
yes yes yes x 1000

my wife pulls stuff out from ten years ago and weaponizes them against me utilizing specific details of the incident, including both her and my motivations and explicit little nitnoid details.  these are thigns that i vaguely remember happening, but dont remember much about the details, so i have no recourse.  meanwhile, she cant remember what we did last week.

I have actually used that exact verbiage to describe this phenomenon - "filing away" little incidents to be pulled from later as a weapon. 
Amina

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 02:47:14 PM »

Yes, so far the only detailed recall weapon he pulls out is "I blocked your number so many times" (for anxiety/panic attack, or non-discernible triggers).  The past facts and details he recalls can sometimes be very genuine, positive, and warm when he is not in his splitting of a devaluation phase--as if he is suddenly remembers everything good in our relationship with depth.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 09:10:48 PM »

This might help understand it.

BEHAVIORS: Dissociation and Dysphoria

Years after she left, I mentioned an incident where she got triggered when I let our baby fall asleep on my shoulder before his bath. She was making dinner. I dreaded going into the kitchen to tell her. As i left, she slammed the fridge door hard enough to spill the door contents and make a huge mess of broken glass and condiments. It was the only time I was kind of scared of her.

Years later, she told me that she had no recollection of that time, though she believed me, and she seemed pained that she couldn't remember it.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Amina

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 05:29:44 AM »

Yes, my partner has had moments of where he splits and sometimes seems very pained and confused as to why he is suddenly pushing me away and can't stop splitting even when I point it out.  Other times he splits and physically runs away and seems completely out of touch with the reality of the situation which is often mild or benign.  When he is done splitting me black, yes, it seems he has no recollection of his cruel words, or sudden pushing away behaviors. I have tried to encourage him to understand his triggers, and he has never explored this before, and has blamed me for what he calls "emotional/physical" triggers--it's a tough time trying to have him understand we all have triggers, and it is his responsibility in a relationship to understand them, and communicate effectively, but when an untreated mental illness it is fair to say he probably can't communicate them effectively without DBT or a 12-step.
LifewithEase

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 04:12:48 PM »

My uBPDw has so many issues with shame that this shame is the double trigger, the first trigger being anger from the fact that I "remembered something so false."
mjh

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 03:36:48 PM »

BPD feelings become reality, so memories are either ignored or shaped to meet the feelings and therefore reality.

You will constantly find yourself in bitter arguments over some perceived slight and realize three hours into it that they have a completely different recollection of the facts.

At first you will assume that you misremembered- maybe you had too much to drink or you weren't paying attention.

After a while you will realize that they are either forgetting key parts of the incident that would make you look reasonable, characterizing things you actually said in the worst possible light, or simply making things up- things you said, things you did.  They will mix actual facts with imagined facts.

'I know you had an affair with XXXX because you didn't text me until after lunch that day and that one time at dinner you told her she looked nice'.

Feelings=reality. 
Amina

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 06:32:21 AM »

One of the most distorted baffling things I've experienced is they suddenly start talking about other women and making up details and events for half-fantastical/famous women, women he is not really interested in, women that don't exist, or women he never really talked to, or doesn't/didn't get to know very well.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest