Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
November 21, 2018, 08:38:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Harley Quinn, Harri, Once Removed, Radcliffwendydarling
Senior Ambassadors: Flourdust, Mutt, Turkish, Woolspinner2000
Ambassadors: BeagleGirl, bluek9, Cat Familiar, CryWolf, Enabler, Feeling Better, formflier, Insom, JNChell, Merlot, Mustbeabetterway, RolandOfEld, spero, zachira
  Help!   Groups   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Register to post Here  
PSYCHOLOGY: Help us build this database.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FAQ: Is a personality disorder a mental illness or a character flaw?  (Read 6662 times)
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Person in your life: Child

« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2014, 11:19:24 AM »

This is similar to experiencing that some kids are more resilient than others, really from birth. Snuggle, get on routine better, have similar experiences-process them with 'regular' parenting responses-move on. Less resilient kids seem to have a built in resistance to comfort. They perceive things at a higher emotional level and need a much deeper calming response from their caregivers to process the perceived 'trauma', integrate it into their life story and move on. Sometimes no matter how good the caregiver is with these loving skills, the 'normal' experiences can be processed in an out-of-balance brain as trauma.

There is so much new info from neuroscience research being published in the past few years. It is now being integrated into other publications in fields like education and psychology. It verifies the positive results of some existing theories and methods; it invalidates others. It is a very exciting time of hope for our kids and for our families. The other hopeful thing is the brain has flexibility to change (plasticity).

The tools and skills on bpdfamily.com fit in the 'verified' side of neuroscience from what I have studied. The hope I have is very real, even though my DD is 28 and currently in jail. As I let go of my judging attitudes and practice validation and unconditional love for her our relationship has improved. She is beginning to accept her part in where she is in her life - accepting responsibility gives her the power to change from the inside out.

qcr

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: