Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 13, 2024, 06:42:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Police, again  (Read 1360 times)
maxsterling

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« on: June 04, 2015, 02:06:12 AM »

same story, wouldn't let me sleep, screaming at me, name calling, verbal abuse, threats against herself.  Told her to call crisis line, she refused, I started dialing for her.  Then the physical assault, pushing me down, grabbing at my phone, so I called 911 instead.  She wasn't arrested because there were no marks on me and they did not witness anything.  But they did tell her that trying to forcefully grab my phone was against the law and had they seen that she would have been arrested. 

I will call DV woman back tomorrow, see if I can set up a quicker intake appointment.  Also consider calling her T, her P, our MC, and just putting a final end to this madness.  Also considering an order of protection.

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

married21years

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 02:32:35 AM »

sorry bud, here for you
gomez_addams

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Almost divorced

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 03:10:08 AM »

If she's been the type to make stuff up, I'd consider a digital voice recorder.

In fact, I'd consider one anyway -- heaven forbid it were to really escalate to where you left a mark on her in legitimate defense of yourself, having a recording might save you tens of thousands in legal fees and a record.

Check if your in a "one-party" state.

Don't use the recorder to win he-said, she-said arguments. It's really only for "No, officer... .She came at me with a chain saw... .That's why there's a bruise on her arm." Or "No, officer... .The time stamped files on this thing show I was watching reruns of the Addams Family, and she threatened to scratch herself and blame it on me."

At least that's how I see it.

Gomez

married21years

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 03:20:31 AM »

If she's been the type to make stuff up, I'd consider a digital voice recorder.

In fact, I'd consider one anyway -- heaven forbid it were to really escalate to where you left a mark on her in legitimate defense of yourself, having a recording might save you tens of thousands in legal fees and a record.

Check if your in a "one-party" state.

Don't use the recorder to win he-said, she-said arguments. It's really only for "No, officer... .She came at me with a chain saw... .That's why there's a bruise on her arm." Or "No, officer... .The time stamped files on this thing show I was watching reruns of the Addams Family, and she threatened to scratch herself and blame it on me."

At least that's how I see it.

Gomez

i have a digital voice recorder on my phone that i can trigger from my watch.

dont even need to touch my phone

babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 04:31:13 AM »

I will call DV woman back tomorrow,

please.

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
sweetheart

Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 05:15:12 AM »

I know you are going to be super aware and careful max, but I want to say it anyway. Record/video her behaviour if you can, in my experience what came next for me were false allegations. This is serious now as she is no longer holding back from attacking you again.

The last thing you want is a restraining order against you and then having to leave your home. You know it happens, you been over on legal.

And yes tell all relevant professionals what has happened again so they have it on record, tell them what you intend to do also.

gomez_addams

Relationship status: Almost divorced

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 05:36:13 AM »

The advice I was given: don't use the phone. It's the first thing they reach for when you're trying to dial 911. And if you're dialing the police, the recorder might not work.

$30 at Best Buy. Up to you.

Gomez
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 06:59:34 AM »

The apps I have used work while the phone is going (calling) and are sensitive enough to record the phone call as well.

OK... .Max... .does this change your thoughts on an official report on the first incident (pressing charges)? 

Please discuss this with the DV people... .

We now have a pattern... .

maxsterling

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 07:11:08 AM »

The odd thing is, it was at least one of the same policewomen that responded last night.  I did show the officers the bruise photos from last time.  This morning I will look into filing charges from the last incident.

An order of protection would be easy to get.  It lasts a year.  She and I would be prohibited from ALL contact.  The police are on my list of calls to make this morning.  I'm not sure the order of protection is the way to go, but it is an option.

Right now, I awoke from having one of the best dreams of my life, then turned over to realize I am in a friend's guest room.  And I have about one of the worst headaches of my life.  And I used to *never* get headaches. 

I do have a recorder on my phone.  But reaching for my phone was what brought about the violence.  One should be able to hear it in the background on the 911 recording.

Sunfl0wer
`

Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 07:13:34 AM »

Maybe laws have changed, maybe it works different in your area, however... .

In my experience, it was not enough to call the police after an incident.

You have to request to file a report of the incident.

Without requesting the report, there is no paper trail.  

Then when going to court for an order of protection, there was no records to show.

If judge was told that police were called and... .

No report was written

You remained in contact

Then judge reasoned... .

Things are not that bad

You cannot actually be in fear of your safety, if you remain in contact.

The best thing to have done in that situation... .that I'm explaining... . Is to pull the officer aside privately, request to file a complaint or some sort of report against her... .in private, so she doesn't think to do the same.

I hope things are different now!

I'm sure you DV person will guide you correctly for current laws in your area though!

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
married21years

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 07:35:42 AM »

The advice I was given: don't use the phone. It's the first thing they reach for when you're trying to dial 911. And if you're dialing the police, the recorder might not work.

$30 at Best Buy. Up to you.

Gomez

can trigger recorder on phone on watch dont need to go near the phone

allways have my watch
sweetheart

Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 07:42:42 AM »

Hi max,

Just want to reinforce sunfl0wer post, unless you press charges, phoning the police means nothing other than in their eyes you were must likely having 'a domestic.'

I'm glad you're not at home and are somewhere safe despite the headache.

Can you stay where you are long enough to sort through the things that you have mentioned?

Take care.

maxsterling

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 10:23:45 AM »

Calling people so far this morning (police,etc) seems to be a big go around in circles... .

very frustrating.  At least she did not harass me by phone last night.

maxsterling

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 11:47:27 AM »

Okay, for now, at least the next few days, I will be staying with friends.  Purpose:  to keep my head calm and be safe.  DV advocate called me back, and once again STRONGLY suggested an order of protection.  Also was surprised W was not arrested last night.   

W is telling me this morning she is gong to seek legal council of her own, etc, etc... .  I think just threats to make me feel sorry for her.  Basically she wants to know if I am going to file that order of protection... .

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 11:55:06 AM »

Okay, for now, at least the next few days, I will be staying with friends.  Purpose:  to keep my head calm and be safe.  DV advocate called me back, and once again STRONGLY suggested an order of protection.  Also was surprised W was not arrested last night.   

W is telling me this morning she is gong to seek legal council of her own, etc, etc... .  I think just threats to make me feel sorry for her.  Basically she wants to know if I am going to file that order of protection... .

What in the world would she do with her own legal counsel?  The bummer is that sort of indicates she believes she needs to be protected... .vice treated.

Sigh... .

So... .what would be the reason to not seek and order of protection and not file charges for the first incident?

Hang in there man... .you are wrestling with big stuff here... .

FF

GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 12:10:56 PM »

She may be thinking about filing an OOP herself.  You may need to file to beat her to it and ensure you have the house.

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
maxsterling

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 12:17:41 PM »

She may be thinking about filing an OOP herself.  You may need to file to beat her to it and ensure you have the house.

Beats me.  The house is in my name only. 

main reason I never pressed charges with the first incident is that I thought it would boil down to "he said/she said", especially considering I am a male victim.  A police report was generated, though... .  Same thing with last night.  I was surprised the police did not arrest her for assault, but again, no marks on my body, they did not directly witness anything, and she put on her smiling face when they showed up.

As for OOP - that's serious stuff that I think I need time to think about.

KateCat

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 12:23:23 PM »

The house is in my name only. 

Max, will this matter if she applies for an order of protection against you?
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 12:25:01 PM »

Max I hope you take whatever means you need to protect yourself.

Although the house is in your name, what are the marital property laws in your state? She may now own half of it if this is the law.

Taking action to protect yourself may result in her threatening suicide again. That is a horrible thought. I hope you have a plan of action should that happen.

Although she *blames* you- for her action *to get your attention* - you are not the cause of her making that decision. She made it. If she is a danger to herself, she needs to be hospitalized. You care about her, but caring for her could mean letting medical professionals take care of this.

I wish you a lot of strength. This is tough, and scary. I know the last thing you want to do is cause her distress, but you have to take care of yourself first.
KateCat

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »

Maybe a family law attorney in your jurisdiction can tell you very quickly what happens when one spouse files an order of protection against the other.
Verbena

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 12:41:41 PM »

Today is Thursday. It's harder to get ahold of people and make things happen on a Friday, at least in my experience.  I would not wait, Max, to take some action.  She may have a plan up her sleeve that could put you out of your own home and make you look like the abuser.   
KateCat

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 12:47:20 PM »

She may have a plan up her sleeve that could put you out of your own home and make you look like the abuser.   

What are her options at this point? To her, this might look like the best course of action.
maxsterling

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 01:36:32 PM »

I just got off the phone asking questions about orders of protection.

1) - A judge has to approve it

2) - the other person has a chance to contest it.

3) -  If she did successfully convince a judge that I was abusive towards her, get an order issues, and me not successful in contesting it, she could gain access to my house and I would be forced to leave.  Nothing forces me to keep paying the mortgage, though Smiling (click to insert in post)

4) - I can get an OOP and not have it served immediately.   I have up to a year.   Everyone I talk to strongly suggests I do this ASAP.  So I made an appointment for tomorrow AM, and the suggestion was to get the order and keep it secret until I feel the right time to have it served.  So, for instance, if she finds another place to stay on her own, I serve it then.  Or if another assault happens, I have it served then.  Or if she is again hospitalized, I serve it then.  Or I could choose whenever.  The only reason to wait is basically that I am a nice guy and want to give her a chance to find her own place, or agree to a trial separation.  But then again, I mentioned BPD to the advocates I talked to, and pretty much heard each and every one of them gasp... .

5)  OOP means no contact at all between us for a whole year.  But the more I talk and think about this, this is about the only way to protect my physical and emotional safety.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2015, 01:39:07 PM »

Max,

I'm so sorry this happened, but given her history, I'm not at all surprised. PwBPD have that amazing intuitive sense and she probably realized that something was changing with you. My sense is that things will continue to accelerate and you're not in a position to stop her downward emotional slide. Please do everything within your power to protect yourself, your animals, the possessions you treasure and most important, your freedom. As you know, pwBPD will say and do anything. Please do not delay--you need major protection immediately.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 01:41:31 PM »

Max, the time has come for you to not be "a nice guy" and protect yourself. Do not wait for another assault to take place. You are not safe in her presence.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
maxsterling

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »

Yeah, we haven't had sex in a month.  My "boy parts" aren't working - her accusation was that I was either gay or having an affair.

Hard to be in the mood for sex when:

1) I am dealing with assault trauma from her,

2) She constantly complains of severe pain.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 01:46:59 PM »

main reason I never pressed charges with the first incident is that I thought it would boil down to "he said/she said", especially considering I am a male victim.  

Max,

If this is what is holding you back... .I would encourage you to not hold back.  If she strolls into court... .and says you are the abuser... .and you have the marks that you have... .well... .I think you have your answer about her remorse or willingness to get help... .and the future of your r/s.

If she goes into court... .and says she did it but needs help... .then there is leverage... .encouragement... .to keep her going in the right direction.

Looks like you got good information on the OOP.

FF

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 01:48:33 PM »

Time to press charges. Obviously she learned nothing from the first incident. Do not wait for the third assault.

maxsterling

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2015, 02:15:24 PM »

Time to press charges. Obviously she learned nothing from the first incident. Do not wait for the third assault.

Third?  This was about the 10th.  It just took about 8 prior for me to recognize that is what this is = assault.

Notwendy

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 02:16:30 PM »

Why is sex even on the table here?

Sex with someone who is physically harming you? ( and not a mutually consent Shades of Grey thing)

Any sex=    potential of baby (I don't care what kind of protection you use- nothing is 100% effective)

That would be the one thing that would make it certain that you can never really leave her forever - ( some contact will be necessary if you are parenting a child)

That would make it impossible for you to implement an OOP for a year.

For someone who is having abandonment issues and is acting desperate, she would think of anything to disrupt plans to distance yourself and this one is obvious.

NO SEX= NO BABY   so she will try to have sex with you in some way.

The issue with your "boy parts" may be your mind and body protecting you, but you are a male and I am pretty certain your wife knows what to do to get those boy parts going. I would not put this past her Max.

To be blunt, you may wake up in action with her if you sleep in bed with her. She could catch you off guard. "Protection" isn't enough. Physical distance is needed to protect yourself.
Verbena

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2015, 02:22:48 PM »

Max, you knew she was severely mentally ill and both verbally and physically abusive long before you married her.  There was almost no chance you could have ever helped her, and you tried very, very hard.  

Please don't spend another minute alone with her. You literally may not survive this if you do.  She is fast approaching the point of no return and will be capable of absolutely anything.  
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

maxsterling

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2015, 02:35:11 PM »

Max, you knew she was severely mentally ill and both verbally and physically abusive long before you married her.  There was almost no chance you could have ever helped her, and you tried very, very hard.  

Please don't spend another minute alone with her. You literally may not survive this if you do.  She is fast approaching the point of no return and will be capable of absolutely anything.  

That's what I am wrestling with now.  I actually just got off the phone with her T, to inform the T that an OOP has been suggested to me and that I have been working with DV advocates, and that an OOP is about my only option to protect myself.  T understood where I was coming from, but did let me know that W did reach out to her last night and again this morning.  

Just to edit this to clear op confusion - I haven't changed my mind about the OOP and keeping it secret for the right time to serve.  But I did discuss this with her T, and said that I felt a separation is necessary at least for a few weeks, with only limited contact through a mediator.  I'm just glad I can go through the OOP process immediately to protect myself, and then later decide when and where to have it served.

Verbena

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2015, 02:56:54 PM »

Max, your wife reaching out to her therapist last night after she assaulted you and again this morning means nothing.  She is always calling her therapists.  Don't let that sway you against doing what you need to do.  Her therapists can't help her any more than you can. 

A "separation of at least a few weeks" and "limited contact only through a mediator" is what you're thinking now, but a few days from now you could be right back where you were just days ago--living with her, trying to avoid another physical assault, dodging her pleas to have a baby.  If you get the protection order served right away, you will avoid all that.  I truly don't believe this is going to get better.

I've never been in a situation anything like this, and I feel for you. 
maxsterling

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2015, 04:00:41 PM »

Max, your wife reaching out to her therapist last night after she assaulted you and again this morning means nothing.  She is always calling her therapists.  Don't let that sway you against doing what you need to do.  Her therapists can't help her any more than you can. 

A "separation of at least a few weeks" and "limited contact only through a mediator" is what you're thinking now, but a few days from now you could be right back where you were just days ago--living with her, trying to avoid another physical assault, dodging her pleas to have a baby.  If you get the protection order served right away, you will avoid all that.  I truly don't believe this is going to get better.

I've never been in a situation anything like this, and I feel for you. 

Thanks for those words.  you are right, her reaching out to her T really means nothing, but explains why she wasn't harassing me all night on the phone.  And you are also right - IF I am going to meet with her and a mediator, serious boundaries need to be discussed.  This isn't just an "I'm sorry let's move on."

My feeling is at minimum - 1) physical separation for a period of time lasting at least weeks 2) she get involved in a therapy program that specifically targets her anger and rage issues.  3) Any more violence, verbal violence, or threats of violence will result in OOP.  I will not let her know I have that ready to serve, but I will. 

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2015, 04:06:31 PM »

After being assaulted many times by my ex-husband, I was afraid of doing anything that might "set him off." He had threatened suicide and had used that as leverage against me leaving.

Finally when I realized I had to end the marriage and he was issuing his suicide threats, I called a suicide hot line and asked how to approach the situation. I had just buried my father so I was familiar with funeral protocol and choices. I was advised by the hot line operator to ask specifically how he intended to commit suicide and what he would like me to do with his body if he did.

So I did exactly that in an unemotional way and asked the myriad questions needed for a funeral. It was truly one of the weirdest moments in our relationship, but he never again threatened me with suicide. (However his next girlfriend called me and said he was holding her "hostage with suicide threats." These pwBPD just don't change their playbook.)

I felt in danger when I broke up with him and a friend took me to a shooting range and loaned me a handgun, which I kept under my bed for a year. I hated having it, but I was determined to protect myself and if it came down to him or me, I knew what my decision was.

There was a time when I came home to the smell of gas in my house. I don't know if he did that inadvertently or intentionally, but it was certainly disconcerting.

I managed to extricate myself from his clutches and now, many years later, he has a warrant for his arrest in this state, so I doubt I will ever see him again. He was arrested for domestic violence with his next wife and with her, fled the state before he was arraigned. (They keep doing the same things, over and over.)

So Max, please don't think this will pass and that she will miraculously turn into the person you can imagine her to be. You gave her plenty of opportunities. What you see is what you get.

Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2015, 04:11:55 PM »

I'm glad you can get the OOP and keep it secret 'till you need it.

Max, please post on the legal/divorce board... .or even ask the moderators to move this post there. The senior folks there know a lot more about protective orders and such things.

I'm a little confused about your gameplan, besides staying with friends for a few days--that one is EXCELLENT! Don't go home until you have a good safety plan in place!

It would seem to me that an OOP (when activated) with no contact for a year is pretty much the end of your marriage. You don't sound like you clearly are ready for that... .

... .do you want the OOP as a way of getting her out of your house? Are you thinking she won't leave otherwise?

Could she file an OOP against you first? I dunno, but my thought about what she *might* do is that she's going to reach into the same toolbox she always does, although she might get a bigger version than before. You've mentioned assault, overdoses, suicide attempts, verbal abuse as prior behavior.

I do not recall her making significant false accusations at you. I do no recall her taking legal actions against you (or anybody else). If she hasn't done such things before, then it doesn't seem very likely now.

One other part that should NOT be in your safety plan: Her T, Her P, Her other P, the MC.  Their job is her wellbeing, or your marriage's wellbeing, NOT YOURS.

You come first today, and this week. Involve people who can protect YOU. Only when you have everything you can possibly line up to protect yourself in order worry about what she needs.

Hang in there!
maxsterling

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2015, 04:24:01 PM »

Max, please post on the legal/divorce board... .or even ask the moderators to move this post there. The senior folks there know a lot more about protective orders and such things.

Good idea - Moderators?  Please move this if you feel it is more appropriate topic for another board.

I'm a little confused about your gameplan, besides staying with friends for a few days--that one is EXCELLENT! Don't go home until you have a good safety plan in place!

It's not really a game plan, more just "thinking out loud" about what I would want to discuss in any possible future meeting - in other words, just a mental exercise as to what I would need if I were to continue in this marriage.

It would seem to me that an OOP (when activated) with no contact for a year is pretty much the end of your marriage. You don't sound like you clearly are ready for that... .

True.  And likely could lead to her attempting suicide, doing something rash that gets her arrested, or at minimum moving out of state.  And yes, I am not clearly ready for the marriage to be over.  I put a ton of work and love into this.  I feel extremely heartbroken.

... .do you want the OOP as a way of getting her out of your house? Are you thinking she won't leave otherwise?

As a last resort, for sure.  Nice to know that option exists.  My preference would be for her to find her own other place to live for awhile, while things could be sorted out more peacefully. 

Could she file an OOP against you first? I dunno, but my thought about what she *might* do is that she's going to reach into the same toolbox she always does, although she might get a bigger version than before. You've mentioned assault, overdoses, suicide attempts, verbal abuse as prior behavior.

I do not recall her making significant false accusations at you. I do no recall her taking legal actions against you (or anybody else). If she hasn't done such things before, then it doesn't seem very likely now.

Yes, she could.  That's the main reason for me to file one ASAP, even if I don't serve it immediately.  The judge may see through her BS and dismiss her complaints, or I may contest it, but yes, she could take this route.  As you mentioned, I see her possibly threatening this, but unlikely she will go that far when she actually researches it.

One other part that should NOT be in your safety plan: Her T, Her P, Her other P, the MC.  Their job is her wellbeing, or your marriage's wellbeing, NOT YOURS.

For sure.  My safety plan are my friends, my T, the DV people I have been in contact with, my Alanon sponsor and friends, and my family. 

You come first today, and this week. Involve people who can protect YOU. Only when you have everything you can possibly line up to protect yourself in order worry about what she needs.

Hang in there![/quote]

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2015, 05:08:13 PM »

Max,

I think it is good you are talking to her T... .

If there is a chance for her... .and your r/s to get better... .it will be for you to step back... .and let her work with the professionals.

Watch her actions... .results... .not the promises.

My input is that everything in this thread is ok to stay on this board (for now).

This is a real life struggle of a guy who wants to stay... .

Max,

I see you have a post on legal... .they seem to be guiding you well.

FF

F50Lurker

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2015, 05:28:09 PM »

Please, serve the OOP NOW - before another episode.  I have read all of your posts, Max.  This is never going to change or get better.  Please, please cut your losses and get away from her right away. We are all supportive of you.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2015, 06:03:33 PM »

Max, I know you're not ready to pull the plug on your marriage and I understand that. You've put so much energy into the marriage and trying to help your wife. What I'm wondering is what you imagine your marriage to be in the coming weeks, months, years. And I hope you ask yourself if this is truly what you want your life to be like.

Notwendy

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2015, 06:12:59 PM »

I am not a moderator, but I think people can post on different boards. I mostly stay on this board, as I choose to stay, but sometimes I can relate to a topic on undecided or child of a BPD and will participate in that.

At this point, I don't see Max choosing to stay no matter what, but neither is he certain about leaving. I don't see him as completely decided one way or the other, but his situation is severe and he has to protect himself. Max I am not trying to read your mind, or tell you what you are thinking, I'm saying this as how I see it.

I see the posting on other boards as a way to get opinions and information, and to weigh all your options. I think that Max has found a lot of support on the staying board and may not want to lose that connection at a time when he is in distress.

However, since the staying board consists of people who stay, we can not be of much help to Max as far as the logistics of leaving and healing from this relationship. Max, since you are considering all your options, I think the other boards can also be of value to you.

Leaving is not a topic for this board, but really choosing means to look at all your options and choose, not feel restricted to one option. Also we have to consider the spectrum of BPD. BPD relationships can be similar in ways but one person's choice may not work for someone else.

I don't think it is a good idea to remain undecided for a long time as that can be a place to be stuck in, but I also think there is a way for Max to keep ties with the people who have supported him, even if it means we post on undecided or leaving to support whatever he decides.

maxsterling

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2015, 06:20:24 PM »

I am not a moderator, but I think people can post on different boards. I mostly stay on this board, as I choose to stay, but sometimes I can relate to a topic on undecided or child of a BPD and will participate in that.

At this point, I don't see Max choosing to stay no matter what. I don't see him as completely decided one way or the other, but his situation is severe and he has to protect himself. Max I am not trying to read your mind, or tell you what you are thinking, I'm saying this as how I see it.

I see the posting on other boards as a way to get opinions and information, and to weigh all your options. I think that Max has found a lot of support on the staying board and may not want to lose that connection at a time when he is in distress.

However, since the staying board consists of people who stay, we can not be of much help to Max as far as the logistics of leaving and healing from this relationship. Max, since you are considering all your options, I think the other boards can also be of value to you.

Leaving is not a topic for this board, but really choosing means to look at all your options and choose, not feel restricted to one option. Also we have to consider the spectrum of BPD. BPD relationships can be similar in ways but one person's choice may not work for someone else.

I don't think it is a good idea to remain undecided for a long time as that can be a place to be stuck in, but I also think there is a way for Max to keep ties with the people who have supported him, even if it means we post on undecided or leaving to support whatever he decides.

That's the way I feel.  All boards on this site can offer advice, no matter what position we happen to be in.  I can also say that the decision to stay or leave is not one that comes easily or quickly.  I had previously made the decision to stay, still may continue with that decision (even though leaving is looking inevitable), but I think my best advice still comes from the folks on this board, because I am still living with and married to my wife.

maxsterling

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2015, 06:30:20 PM »

I did just do something for myself - I switched my phone off.  No need to feel the buzz if my W emails or texts - I need time for myself.  If MC calls back - I can talk to her tomorrow.  Also gonna go to al-anon tonight right after work, then maybe take the day off tomorrow after my meeting with social services.

Notwendy

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »

Your best advice may be here, except that we can not advise you to leave. Keep that into consideration in case you want to consider that option. The posters who have made that decision can advise you better than those who have not made it. 

Max, I think the most important decision to support is the one you make after considering your options.

maxsterling

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2015, 06:48:55 PM »

Max, I think the most important decision to support is the one you make after considering your options.

"considering my options" - exactly.  Don't make quick decisions without considering my options!  And right now, one of my options is staying.  Another is a court order.  Another is some other kind of separation.   I posted about divorce or feeling "done" a few weeks ago.  I downloaded, read through, and partially filled it out.  But acting on it at that time may not have been my best option.  Is it now?  Who knows. 

maxsterling

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2015, 10:24:36 PM »

I'm excited about meeting the family advocacy person tomorrow. I am hopeful it will get me clarity.

I called W's therapist to let her T know I was considering OOP and may want to talk to wife about alternative places to live.  Somehow W found out I called, and was POed.  SO, I turned my phone off, and left it in the car. 

The more I think about it and talk about it with friends and share with alanon folks, the more I am leaning towards just having the OOP served soon and wipe my hands of this. 

Verbena

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2015, 10:39:25 PM »

Max, are you still at your friend's house?  Have you been back to your house to collect any of your belongings?  If you do need to do that, do you have a plan in place to protect yourself?  Lots of questions I know, when your brain is full of questions already.  

I hope you get some sleep tonight.   
Sunfl0wer
`

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2015, 10:53:56 PM »

It is possible things have changed... .and my info is outdated or for specific location, however... .

Max,

You sound like you are not currently perusing the OOP because you have decided there are too many barriers, (the list you gave) then you state you are being a nice guy by giving her time. 

I am uncertain about the objective factual accuracy of your objections.

It is my understanding that there are actually few conditions needed for a "temporary" OOP, just that you are fearful and feel she is a threat to you.  After that... .the next step that has a bit more conditions, is the permanent... .or longer termed OOP after a hearing.

In your situation, it sounds likely that you can... .

1. just call the police after her next yell... .(does not have to be punches etc.)

2. Remove yourself from the home as proof you are afraid to return

3. Get your temporary order within 24hrs at the courthouse

This is actually simple!

The only issue you should actually be worried about as a barrier... .is if you do not undeniably state with clear certainty... .

1. You are afraid for your well being, your life

If you do not make this clear... .you CAN be denied.

You have more power than you are giving yourself credit for.

As for doing her a favor by being "nice."  You are doing her NO favor to "wait/see" for her next dysregulation and she is in jail for stabbing you, killing you etc.   removing her from her trigger: you, actually IS a favor.

Please speak to the DV pple... .let them hold your hand in the process... .see if someone can accompany you please!  I am worried!  

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
Sunfl0wer
`

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2015, 11:03:10 PM »

Excerpt
An order of protection would be easy to get.  It lasts a year.  She and I would be prohibited from ALL contact.

I am certain that someone has likely advised you of your responsibilities re OOP.  Yes, you get one because a person may do harm to you, breaking the protection yourself, essentially nullifying it all and the progression to further protection of the non temp order.  You do have a responsibility to uphold your end of the OOP by resuming NC.  I am sure someone has told you that it means you also cannot reach out to her for any reason at all... .not her sickness, injury, illness, etc.  There is no "conditional" OOP,... .you have to remain NC in every way possible.  You also have to be willing to report that she violated the order, even if she calls you, txt you, etc.  (whatever the terms are)

I can only imagine the greatness of difficulty that this would be for you.  I am sorry that you are in such a tough position, likely feeling great pressure from many areas... .so sorry!

maxsterling

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2015, 01:40:53 AM »

Verbena - yes, at a friend's house.  And oddly, she has done little to blow up my phone.  I'm wondering if someone advised her that the phone/email abuse could be used against her?

As for OOP - I will go in tomorrow with my mind as open as possible and get as much advice as possible.  Sunfl0wer - I think you misinterpreted me.  There is no "temporary" OOP.  What I mean is, I would file, it would be on record, paperwork done, and any time during the next year I could have her served with it.  So, the next abusive incident, The police could remove her.  Or, should the timing strike right in my brain, I could serve her.  It only means I have already spoken to a judge and gotten the OOP approved through the court. 

The reason to not serve her tomorrow - well - I am in a safe place "for now".  So i will go into tomorrow with an open mind, ask plenty of questions, and know that I don't have to make up my mind immediately.

Michelle27

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2015, 08:17:48 AM »

Frankly, I think you've given her more than enough chances to change the behavior, or at least take responsibility for it.  Why wait to have her served?  Waiting just, IMO, puts off the inevitable next attack, and why wait for that?
maxsterling

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2015, 08:37:53 AM »

Frankly, I think you've given her more than enough chances to change the behavior, or at least take responsibility for it.  Why wait to have her served?  Waiting just, IMO, puts off the inevitable next attack, and why wait for that?

Well, that's been the advice of all the DV advocacy people I have talked to. 

Verbena

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2015, 10:12:30 AM »

And oddly, she has done little to blow up my phone.  I'm wondering if someone advised her that the phone/email abuse could be used against her?

This is interesting. 

If you had just left, but not called the police first, she would have almost certainly blown up your phone with verbal abuse and threats.  She claims to not remember tearing your house apart and assaulting you a few weeks ago when you had her arrested.  It looks like she remembers the screaming and name calling and knocking you down this week. 
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2015, 10:17:43 AM »

You never even got the "remorse" part of the abuse cycle. It seems like she just wanted to forget it as though it never happened.

The remorse part was what always got me hooked back in: the promises to never do it again, the apologies, the "honeymoon phase." 

She doesn't seem to want or have the ability to take responsibility for her behavior.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2015, 12:53:42 PM »

Well, that's been the advice of all the DV advocacy people I have talked to. 

How do you feel about that?

FF

maxsterling

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2015, 01:13:38 PM »

Well, I got the OOP from the judge. Relatively easy process.  I thought I would have to provide all kinds of proof, but my testimony was good enough.  I can have her served at any time.  She will be then escorted from my house (already determined the house is mine), and allowed to return one more time to collect her things.  She's allowed to contest it, but as the social worker explained - that rarely goes anywhere.  His experience is that these situations never get better, and looked at W's cycle the past few years of her life, and asked me what I thought it would look like 3 years from now.  His experience is that in cases like mine, victims will wind up having the order served eventually, usually sooner rather than later.

CastleofGlass

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2015, 01:23:34 PM »

Glad you have this ready to go Max. Truly hoping good things for you during this process. Keep your head up and maybe find a good outlet to relax some.
sweetheart

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2015, 01:29:21 PM »

Max I'm really glad that you have been able to put yourself first, and listen to professionals telling you to look after yourself because it won't get any better.

I hope you get back to your garden soon.

ColdEthyl

Relationship status: Married 2 years

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »

Max, everyone here has already given you the best of advice, so I just have hugs for you

KateCat

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2015, 01:36:37 PM »

Such reassuring news, max! 
maxsterling

« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2015, 01:41:41 PM »

Of course, somehow she found out that I had called her T... .and she blew up my phone over that. Did T tell her that?  Some kind of covert spying?  If T told her, is that not unethical?

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2015, 03:05:37 PM »

I don't think that's necessarily unethical on the part of the therapist since it's your wife's therapist, not yours. But it tells you that her therapist is not someone you can rely upon. Unless, of course, she found out some other way. But you're assembling lots of people in your corner who can advise you so you've got it covered.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

SweetCharlotte

Relationship status: Recently estranged. Married 8.5 years, together 9 years. Long-distance or commuter relationship.

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2015, 03:08:46 PM »

If it were your T, that would go against ethics. Your T should only tell on you if he/she feels that someone else would be put at risk if it is kept confidential.

Her T, however, I'm pretty sure that her T is supposed to tell her anything he/she knows that he/she feels it is in her best interest to know.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2015, 03:21:41 PM »

If it were your T, that would go against ethics. Your T should only tell on you if he/she feels that someone else would be put at risk if it is kept confidential.

Her T, however, I'm pretty sure that her T is supposed to tell her anything he/she knows that he/she feels it is in her best interest to know.

That's my take as well... .that her T is in "her" corner. 

I still think it was correct that you reach out to her professionals... .she will need them... .and they need to have the correct information.

FF

Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2015, 03:36:43 PM »

Staff only

This thread has reached its post limit, and is now closed. This is a worthwhile topic, and you are welcome to start a new thread to continue the conversation. Thank you for understanding... .

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest