Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 23, 2017, 01:12:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: heartandwhole, Meili, once removed
Member support team: DreamGirl, gotbushels, joeramabeme, Turkish, Woolspinner2000
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thyroid: Is there a link between BPD and thyroid disorders?  (Read 24963 times)
MissyM

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2014, 10:05:38 PM »

I am hypothyroid and it runs on both sides of my family.  One side has mental health issues and the other doesn't.  My dBPDh has low thyroid but it is a symptom of hypopituitary and I have been told by a doctor that hypopituitary symptoms can overlap with BPD.  Hypopituitary means that they are low in several hormones, for my dBPDh he has critically low testosterone and HGH, as well as low T3/T4.  So I am wondering if the hypothyroids that have overlapping BPD symptoms actually are hypopituitary.  It took years of going to doctors and some very strange symptoms for my dBPDh to get a diagnosis of hypopituitary.

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

JRT

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2015, 02:08:32 AM »

Do thyroid problems contribute to BPD?
enlighten me

Person in your life: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2015, 02:26:50 AM »

Hi JRT

There does seem to be a link with thyroid and BPD. As to whether it is part of the cause or just a side effect i cant say.

My personal opinion is that its a side effect. As some research shows that pwBPD have low oxytocin levels so their cortisol levels may be elevated. Cortisol can affect thyroid. It can act as hormone suppressor so even though thyroid level may appear normal it is not working at its full potential.

This is only a theory that ive pieced together from reading about hormones and how they interact.
JRT

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2015, 02:29:42 AM »

interesting... mine had thyroid problems for which she took some medication... I came up in an article but was vague for me... so does it contribute to to BPD or is it a byproduct of BPD?
enlighten me

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2015, 02:43:14 AM »

Both my exs were slightly anaemic. There have been a number of posts on co morbid conditions. Anaemia, thyroid, fibromyalgia, migranes to name but a few. If you look into the causes of these one posibility that can affect all of them is elevated cortisol. If you look up elevated cortisol affects you will see a lot of BPD behaviours listed.

If like I said pwBPD have lower than normal oxytocin then it will take longer for cortisol to reduce back to normal levels after a stressfull event as oxytocin is released to calm the fight or flight caused by cortisol.

Like I said just a theory of mine but have a read up on cortisol and see what you think.
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2015, 08:42:14 AM »

Maybe not.

Is there a relationship or is it dual diagnosis?  This suggests the later - or a lack of evidence to support the former.

Circulating thyroid autoantibodies are more prevalent in patients with mood disorders than in the general population, but longitudinal clinical data that establish a relationship between thyroid antibody status and the course of any psychiatric syndrome have been lacking. In addition, scant attention has been paid to thyroid hormones and autoimmunity in borderline personality disorder (BPD).

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12897379

Thyroid disease affects the moods of most, but it is ampified in people with mood conditions such as:

~atypical depression (which may present as dysthymia)

~bipolar spectrum syndrome (including manic-depression, mixed mania, bipolar depression, rapid-~cycling bipolar disorder, cyclothymia, and premenstrual syndromes)

~borderline personality disorder

~or psychotic disorder (typically paranoid psychosis).

www.currentpsychiatry.com/home/article/identifying-hypothyroidisms-psychiatric-presentations/190d5808f9bdd646cf3a8560587e35cc.html

Hawk Ridge

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2015, 09:03:36 AM »

Take this with a grain of salt but perhaps it may help with perspective.   As a woman who struggles with Hashimoto's (hypo and hyper thyroid), adrenal fatigue, and is menopause (and is a health nut), I have looked for alternative solutions to taking medications.  This triad of  hormones interacts and interplays making the outcome a delicate balance. Yes, i struggle with depression, have since my teen years. At the onset of my disease in my early 40's, I was exhausted and gaining weight, a very common sign.  I live in a northern state, further away from the equator, a location where the soil is not iodine rich as it is in cultures where thyroid disease is not as prominent.  Since diagnosis, I have begun to realize how incredibly common this disease is, some studies cite as many as 80% in women.  Additionally, when considering how the preservatives, pesticides, genetically modified food products have entered our food markets, it is no wonder our bodies are now entertaining foreign substances that are creating this disease.  Sure, BPD is diagnosed more but likely this is due to advances in mental health diagnostic techniques more than anything else.  I think this correlation between BPD and thyroid disease is likely not reliable due the factors I have mentioned above. Additionally, BPD is related more to dysfunction with the amygdala, executive functioning, and the type of environment one was raise in.  I can tell you as someone whose expwBPD emotionally abused me, it was not helpful to the depression and thyroid disease I already had but I believe, because so many of us, men and women, have thyroid disease that it is not the cause or correlated with BPD. Again, take it for what is worth.
Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD
My Parent/Sibling has BPD