Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 07:03:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Films that depict BPD?  (Read 2990 times)
rotgut

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2011, 01:34:43 AM »

Gaslight (1944)

Ingrid Bergman is amazing. She is beautiful in that very Swedish kind of way. Anyone that uses the term “gaslight” and has not seen this film. Wow. I would highly recommend checking it out. It is old, but has aged very, very well. And the plot is incredibly applicable to the BPD family experience. Charles Boyer plays Gregory Anton, the evil count chocula demeanored SP husband, and his wife Paula, is played by the lovely Ingrid Bergman. The count systematically  gaslights his wife by constantly staging events, intentionally designed to make  his wife question her own sanity. Sound familiar? From my own BPD relationship, I personally recall many instances of my upbd wife telling me, after a particularly hurtful rage, “I never said that” or “you have a very vivid imagination” or “you are the sick one” to the point where I questioned it myself. In hindsight I had to be in a pretty bad place to seriously question my own sanity. I highly recommend this film. You can watch the 1940 British Version of Gaslight on You Tube for free. I did not see this film. I opted for the Ingrid Bergman Version, which was fairly difficult to track down. Finally found a copy at a local video store after exhausting all online/instant watch options. The British version however, is supposed to also be very good. But there is no Ingrid Bergman in that one.

Spotlight on the Spotless Mind (2003)

I had to watch this one film in segments for some reason. Very good film and one compelling concept: Come out of the FOG instantly by using memory erasing software. How tempting would that be?  Kirstin Dundst costars in this film with Jim Carey and Kate Winslet, the second time both actress have appeared in films on this list.  Dunst is as watchable in this film as she is in Melancholia (2011). She seems very capable at portraying a personality disordered individual. Very capable. And Kate Winslet plays a different shade of a pwBPD. Her BPD portrayal in this film is vastly different from her BPD character in Revolutionary Road. While watching her performance I could not help, but keep thinking of Gloria Swanson as BPD Norma Desmond in Sunset Blvd (1950). The characters are strikingly similar. Chihiro your comment about when Jim Carey's character Joel, is a child under his mother's kitchen table saying “"why do I have this incredible need for her to see me (meaning his mom)?  It's so powerful."  It's that same need, the need of a child for his mother's undistracted attention, that fuels our compulsive need for the love of our persons with BPD.  This was a lightbulb moment for me." This was a   Idea moment for me as well, or I feel it's about to be any way. My mother is NPD and your observation has been a recurring thought since you recommended this film. Is this why I'm attracted, drawn like a magnet, to BPD women? Just tonight I was unharactheristicly chatting with a  girl in a shop that was wearing teeth whitening strips Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) , was displaying her ample breastsred-flag , and was chatting me up in a very nice, very forward wayred-flag . At this point, I am thinking she probably BPD or some other  _ _ D, but god at this moment, do I want her to keep looking at me .

Factory Girl (2006)

Sienna Miller is great as Edie Sedgwick.  Andy Warhol comes across as the biggest D-Bag in the 60's (next to J. Edgar ~). Still dig his art work? Using the term “his” very loosely, but man what a Vulture. Fairly interesting film, if you don't mind the image of one of your favorite Pop Artists ruined. But other than that, it is an interesting film, although it did not resonate with any of my own personal experiences with BPD. And that is what his exercise has been about for me.

I have found watching films that depict BPD behavior to be very helpful in putting my own experience into perspective somehow, or maybe it is just that misery loves company, and I am like a rubbernecker on the interstate careening his neck to gawk at a gruesome scene. It is strange how comforting these films have been for me. Anyone who has read this far, thank you . And I hope that by watching some of these films, we've all listed, maybe will be helpful to others here as well.

Gowest

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2011, 07:00:36 AM »

I had to watch this one film in segments for some reason. Very good film and one compelling concept: Come out of the FOG instantly by using memory erasing software. How tempting would that be?  Kirstin Dundst costars in this film with Jim Carey and Kate Winslet, the second time both actress have appeared in films on this list. 

Weirdly, both of those actresses are on my "dislike" list. I have no conscious reason for it. Angelina Jolie too. Hmmmmm.

This thread was a good read. I um kinda sorta er don't like movies so no way would I watch them all on my own. I'm curious about them though.

Are you in therapy, rotgut? Might help with that "uncontrollable" attraction. My attraction to psychos has dropped dramatically in the last year. 
Clearmind
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2011, 07:48:30 AM »

Gaslight is a trip Rotgut! That film was my second major Idea moment. That incessant, stealth and covert abuse was chilling. The scene at the end was priceless - watch those flickering lamps  . I wish I had a neighbour that nosey. I don't want to spoil it for other members but the triangulation (read definition) with the maid - well we have all been there.

You have to watch the original - I got it through eBay because I could not find it at blockbuster

BlushAndBashful

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2011, 08:06:19 AM »

I first watched Gaslight many years ago, LONG before the dx of BPD was on my radar. It scared the crap out of me. I can't watch horror movies but figured this one would be "okay" and not "scary". Boy was I wrong.  It was so close to the BS lies and omissions and strange web that my BPDex would weave. Back then, I didn't think my BP was mentally ill, I just thought he was being a pr!ck.

I just rewatched Girl, Interrupted two days ago and it was gripping. I cried. I found a lot of parallels btwn Susanna and my BPDex- and it was nice to see that view of BPD, rather than Fatal Attraction.

Honestly, one reason why I ruled out BPD all these years was because my BPDex never exhibited those rages that all y'all talk about, and he never went into crazy stalker mode. "He never screams and he's not volatile, so it can't be BPD. Maybe it's bi-polar, maybe it's his PTSD... .but not BPD."  So when he was finally dx'ed with BPD it blew me out of the water, but at the same time, I was like, "It all makes sense now."  So when Susanna said things like "I don't know what I'm feeling now" I could really relate.
Curvy girl

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2013, 10:19:08 AM »

Blue valentine with Michelle Williams and Ryan gosling

I thought the Ryan gosling character had some BPD traits. The way he idealised her in the beginning, with their whirlwind romance. They way he remained an underachiever later in life with problems with alcohol. I thought he was verbally abusive to Michelle Williams especially after the dog died. He was impulsive ( suddenly went to that cheesy hotel for a romantic night) . The intense jealousy he felt after Michelle met her ex in that shop. The alcohol fueled raging at her work place.

I realise now why this film affected me so much... .  

I remember really liking dean and disliking Michelle Williams a bit even though I could absolutely relate to her character.

That scene in the motel resonated with me so much... .  

jdcthunder14

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2013, 12:36:32 PM »

Read about Béatrice Dalle from Betty Blue... .  sounds as if she is close to BPD in real life.
jdcthunder14

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2013, 12:38:59 PM »

Honestly, one reason why I ruled out BPD all these years was because my BPDex never exhibited those rages that all y'all talk about, and he never went into crazy stalker mode. "He never screams and he's not volatile, so it can't be BPD. Maybe it's bi-polar, maybe it's his PTSD... .  but not BPD."  So when he was finally dx'ed with BPD it blew me out of the water, but at the same time, I was like, "It all makes sense now."  So when Susanna said things like "I don't know what I'm feeling now" I could really relate.

Not all of them rage... .  high functioning people with this disorder sometimes do not. A lot written on here about not trying to make every person with BPD or even traits the same.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest