Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 04:37:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone had their personwBPD say "I'm sorry would you please forgive me"  (Read 570 times)
Not2Crazy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: February 20, 2013, 10:07:12 PM »

Has anyone had their personwBPD say "I'm sorry would you please forgive me" ?

and

Has anyone told their personwBPD say "I'm sorry would you please forgive me"  ?

I mean is this a "no" way street?

really

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 11:10:01 PM »

Not, not from her.

Yes, many times from me.

LuckyEscapee

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 11:40:57 PM »

Never once. I would be disgusted with myself to have done those retched things in the first place, but then to see fit to not apologize? Wowee. That is some cast iron strng self-denial. Good news is that you stop being interested in hearing it anyhow.
willy45
Formerly "johnnyorganic", "rjh45", "SurferDude"

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:49:48 PM »

Ha ha.

That's a funny one.

I saw my ex a few weeks ago after not talking to her for months. I told her for years and years and years of telling her that screaming and raging at me was not OK. That "Under no circumstances is it ever OK to yell at someone". (A weird aside, when I saw her, she told me the she had to go talk to her bosses boss because her boss was always yelling at her and she told her bosses boss that "Under no circumstances is it ever OK to yell at someone". It made my mind spin. I don't think she caught the irony).

Anyhow... .  when I saw her, I explained how the whole yelling and raging thing made me feel and how each time she did it, it made me feel more and more rejected. And how I used to have to hide under the bed from her and sometimes I thought she was going to hit me.

Her response?

'Oh, my bad'.

Seriously! That is what she said. She said: 'Oh, my bad.' No emotion. Nothing. No acknowledgement of the years and years of abuse. No acknowledgement of what that would have done to me. No acknowledgement of how horrible that made me feel or how it continues to haunt me. Nothing. Just 'oh, my bad'.

And the next time I saw her she said that she was thinking about what I said and that there must have been something about her that I really didn't like. Seriously! I told her that her raging at me scared me so much that I would have to hide under the bed from her in the middle of the night and I was scared she was going to start hitting me. And then she says that there must be something about her that I didn't like! Duh... .  Yeah. I didn't like having to hide from you at 3am because you are angry that I woke you up by rolling over in my sleep. That is hilarious.

I think that the 'Oh, my bad' comment is just so funny. Would you count that as an apology?

And as for me apologizing... .  I used to. Then i stopped. I stopped because it never really helped anyways in the long term. It would stop her from raging at me in the short term. But it never stopped the raging in general. So, I stopped. I was done.
really

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 12:03:04 AM »

Oops I misread the second one... .  No i have never asked her to apologise... .  I thought it was whether you had apologised!

Ooops.

sad but wiser

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 12:07:36 AM »

Yes.  My ex h has asked forgiveness, but only for being foolish enough to trust me and put his life into my hands and just loving me soo much and how could I hurt him like this, I must want to kill him, I must just want him to die.  He can't possibly take care of himself or find a job at this point in his life (nor apparently at most other points, I was never supposed to support us all on my own) oh, and I must never have loved him, I must have been planning this all along, etc, etc, etc... .  

I asked him to forgive me for enabling him and allowing him to get worse.  I really should NEVER have done that.  I just wanted a modicum of peace at that point and I was too worn out to do what was right.

Re-engaging at this point is risky.  If you are not married and divorcing, or dealing with children you have together, I would not seek closure.  I am not sure it exists with a BPD. Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
Wooddragon

Relationship status: single

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 12:09:59 AM »

He apologised the first time he raged at me & physically attacked me. After that, no acknowledgment or recognition of any wrongdoing. I apologised for "saying the wrong thing" etc many times. Even our most recent communication after he lied to me about his intentions etc - it was all about me not giving him "a chance"... .  
HardTruth

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 12:12:11 AM »

I went through the idealization phase with mine for 2 months.  It wasn't "over-idealization", just seemed normal for people who are dating and like each other.  Skipped the clingy phase.  Went straight to turning me black upon waking in the morning.

I emailed him and talked to him about what he did and how he made me feel.  2 weeks later, when he came to return my stuff - he lives an hour away from me - he apologized to me and asked me if I could forgive him.  I said I wasn't prepared to answer that question.

A couple days later I called and said that I did forgive him.  He said, Oh Great!  Now we can go snowboarding and hang out!  We made arrangements to get together on Thanksgiving since he was going to be in town then.  

Guess what?  Not even a phone call!  He completely blew me off even though his Thanksgiving party was only 10 minutes from my house, and I had arranged my schedule so I could visit with him.

He butt-dialed me on the way home.  Hung up when I answered.  I called him back.  He apologized, said the day just got the best of him, - whatever!  and promised to call me in 2 days.  I've never talked to him since.  He wouldn't even call me, even when I said, Look, I don't want it to be a P***-bashing session, I just want to talk, like you promised.  I'm sure we can make things right because we're both good people.

Nothing.

So the Please forgive me?  and the apology?  It didn't really mean anything... .  Just another impulse in the BPD world.
sad but wiser

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 12:20:57 AM »

Yeah, it's easy to get drawn back in.  They can be so reasonable if they want to be.  Just remember, it isn't you, it's the mood they're in at the moment.  They also expect to be treated well, regardless of how they may treat you.  My ex will leave ugly messages on my answering machine or text, then expect me to pay his bills or do something he wants, just as if my feelings didn't exist.  I guess for him they don't.
mitti

Relationship status: Broken up no contact 100% detached

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 12:35:26 AM »

My pwBPD has been on his knees apologizing in T. He has been crying because of guilt and shame for what he did. It took him more than a year after what he had put me through. I know he did get it then, he understood what he had put me through, how traumatic it was and how it has caused PTSD in me. He has said he was grateful I was still available for when he came to his senses. But (yes, of course) another six months and he has painted me black again. Still, I know he knows what he put me through. It is too painful for him to deal with though and this is why he painted me black this time.

No apology from him would do it for me now. It doesn't last, he can't hold that thought and conviction. If he were to want to come back, I would tell him I need x, y and z changes from him. I know he can't do it. And I am fine with it.
Numbers
Formerly "4 8 15 16 23 42"

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 03:36:05 AM »

Mine apologized a few times, but as someone here said before, BPD are masters of snide comments and these apologies were obviously forced and didn't really cut it. Made me feel bad.

In occasions where I created a small window where she could understand how her behavior is damaging, she was preoccupied with herself and how marvelous her a-ha moment was. but she would not apologize.

And then there were times like when she missed a message from me and thought I did not return her a kiss. This escalated into her mobilizing 10 people to the bar, making me come too, getting horribly drunk, acting passive-aggressive, doing everything in her power to embarrass me, vomits all over my car, vomits all over my bed... .  the works. In the morning she wakes with a ton of shame, calls everyone from last night and apologizes to everyone in tears.

To everyone but to me.

It is a comedy really. I cannot even get angry about it all.
waitaminute

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 04:26:42 AM »

At our breakup she said

"please forgive me for what I've done to your life"

Yep. She said that. It was somewhere between the "i hate you" messages, the "I will love you forever" messages and the "you need to get therapy. You're sick" messages and the "you ruined my life" messages.

On lesser issues, occasionally she would apologize.
id-crisis

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 07:21:45 AM »

Yep! Lots of times but it didn't stop him doing the same things over and over. Same ___, different day kinda thing, so they were worthless apologies and only used as a tool to manipulate.

He only apologised when he was on a mission to ~ me back in, once the mission had been accomplished he'd throw it back in my face and say I deserved "so & so" anyway   

Actions speak louder than words and his repeated actions spoke a damn sight louder than his feeble apologies.
mosaicbird

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 07:31:03 AM »

Yes, she said that on a few occasions. It sounded very sincere and heartfelt. Sigh.

Willingtolearn

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 02:20:48 PM »

I am not sure if this would count as an apology, maybe fellow contributors on here can comment with their opinions  if they think it was an apology, i would be interested to know. Anyway here is what happened:-

I had been 100% NC with my exBPDgf for 13 months. I had kept her number in my cell phone, but never once called or text her in those 13 months. Then one day i was sending a text to a friend and inadvertenly sent it to my exBPDgf by mistake.  About 2 hours later i got a reply from her. The reply said "So sorry. Who is this?"

The thing i noticed from that text was there was a full stop after "So sorry"  So i asked myself was that her saying she was sorry for what she had done to me, or was she saying sorry because she didn't know who the text message was from?

I remained NC and didn't reply to her. However to this day i still wonder if she was saying sorry to me. What do you people think?
charred

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 02:23:11 PM »

Mine said it often, with zero sincerity... .  usually followed by a cutting comment. Was she ever actually sorry, or accepting responsibility for her actions... .  no, never.
Discarded26

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »

Mine said it often, with zero sincerity... .  usually followed by a cutting comment. Was she ever actually sorry, or accepting responsibility for her actions... .  no, never.

Like mine, sorry for what its worth, MIGHT have made a big mistake, but hope your happy with HIM and everything 

I ain't with anyone, words fail me

Iced

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 06:54:43 PM »

I think pwBPD can still say "I'm sorry" and mean it and understand what they are saying and what they are sorry for... .  but only if they are truly self-aware and not in the middle of one of their BPD 'episodes' where their sense of reason isn't balanced.

Then there are the people who say, 'I'm sorry, please forgive me," and... .  well.

So.

My aunt was nearly beaten to death with a metal shower curtain rod by her very BPD and even more abusive husband (whom she still hasn't divorced)... .  and when she woke up, he was sitting next to her hospital bed bawling his eyes out saying how sorry he was and begging her for forgiveness.

My own mother was there to see this happen as the aunt was her own sister.

A few months later before she was fully recovered from the head injury, he pushed my aunt down three flights of stairs... .  and ran down the stairs to apologize to her and beg for forgiveness once more.

Another while later, he beat her up with some other object.

Every single time?

I'm sorry, please forgive me.

And afterwards?

Another round of abuse.
wb1233

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 08:28:23 PM »

On several occasions I grilled my uBPDexgf when she was out of line only to get "ok... fine... I'm sorry" with an angry tone.   Sincere right? Smiling (click to insert in post)
spaceace

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 12:11:09 PM »

I have thought about this numerous times and the answer is, no. Maybe when we were first dating she would be sorry. But not while we were married.

It was weird. Something she would do to f&ck things up terribly would somehow be my fault and I would spend hours trying to get her to climb off the ledge. Usually I would be talked to death about how growing up in an abusive house was why she did things, or she experienced xyz with her ex husband and she behaved that way.

But in the end, never an apology.

She doesn't have the capability to feel remorse for her actions, how can she say sorry? At least that is how I see it now.
real lady

Relationship status: Living together, engaged but had been VERY ROCKY from Nov. 2011 to August 2012...evening out now...I am in counseling!!

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 12:25:26 PM »

No... .  he has not apologized because the would be admitting intentional hurt, accidental hurt or failure and he is unwilling to accept that he is capable of any of these.

He apologized a few times for TALKING VERY LOUDLY (to his computer game or the puppies) in the wee hours of the morning while I was sleeping upstairs. I think he apologized and said "I am sorry that I woke you, I didn't mean to wake you up" and then he has been quieter since. I guess this falls into "an accident" catagory and thus doesn't HAVE to see himself as "being bad"... .  but if I "have an accident", he sees it as INTENTIONAL. No amounts of "I am sorry" will suffice. 
HarmKrakow

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 12:49:39 PM »

Mine said it 1000x times during the loving/clinging phase, mine said it zero times after the hatred phase.
Somewhere

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 12:54:29 PM »

This has to be the funniest thread on here.

Oh wait, sorry I said that.  Please forgive me.

I love you.

Well, no, wait a minute -- it was your fault to start with.

I hate you.

Go to Hell.

ROTFL .  Smiling (click to insert in post)  Smiling (click to insert in post)  Smiling (click to insert in post)

But as far as the rest . . .  never an apology that I recall.  But I have, at times, been as much as 85% forgiven for my faults.  85%.  You know I could not make THAT up.

TheDude

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 12:59:30 PM »

Mine said it 1000x times during the loving/clinging phase, mine said it zero times after the hatred phase.

Same here. And not only zero times during black mode, but would complain incessantly that I never apologize for anything. Um... .  like what? * rolls her eyes & stomps off to a 12 hour Facebook session *
slimmiller

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 01:13:58 PM »

Apologize? I dont think she knows what that means.

Actually she did a few times but never cause she meant it. It was always because she was building me up because she was trying to talk me into another cruise (so we could have her BPD mother straggle along) Or because she was wanting me to watch the kids for a weekend so she could go hang out with her friend from high school, or she needed money for clothe, or her sister needed a place to crash while she fought with her bf, or while she wanted to get me to buy into her latest and greatest, 'lets farm and live off of the land' schtick... .  sigh. In hindsight, what a lousy husband I must have been.

In all actually I said sorry often enough for the both of us probably
SarahinMA

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 01:27:40 PM »

My ex has never apologized for hurting me... .  I'm pretty sure because he thinks I'm a horrible person and he has nothing to apologize for.  His new source rescued him from the likes of me.  It got to the point where everything I did was wrong in his eyes.  If I tried to get back out there and date others, it showed I never loved him.  If I tried to reach out, I was still trying to cling to him and manipulate him. 
mosaicbird

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 02:04:44 PM »

I think pwBPD are capable of feeling remorse, but it triggers their core shame and thus, if and when they feel it, it's overwhelming and has to be buried again.

sad but wiser

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 02:09:37 PM »

At our breakup she said

"please forgive me for what I've done to your life"

Yep. She said that. It was somewhere between the "i hate you" messages, the "I will love you forever" messages and the "you need to get therapy. You're sick" messages and the "you ruined my life" messages.

On lesser issues, occasionally she would apologize.

Wait a minute, those messages were from YOUR ex?  I thought they were from MY ex.  Do you think there is a board somewhere online where they get these messages and share them around?LOL.

mosaicbird

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 02:27:50 PM »

Do you think there is a board somewhere online where they get these messages and share them around?LOL.

Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) That reminds me of something my partner said when things were going all wrong with my exwBPD again... .  Ex was supposedly reading all these books, and having epiphanies, and blah blah blah, but her behavior towards everyone was growing increasingly worse. Partner said to me, ":)oes she think those books are how-to manuals on how to act even MORE disordered?"

broken but not beaten

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 02:28:10 PM »

Appology? Not a chance,I thinks being castrated with two house bricks would be less painful than trying to prise an apology from my 'princess'
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest