Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 09:10:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yesterday I flung the wedding rings into an abyss  (Read 350 times)
Ihope2

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: divorced

« on: October 06, 2014, 06:39:21 AM »

My divorce from my exBPDh and our short-lived relationship/marriage happened on 20th June this year.  He had moved out and disappeared from my life at the end of March this year.  The day he left, he pressed his wedding ring into my hands saying that perhaps I wanted to keep it.

Yesterday I found myself in a place called the "Valley of Desolation".  It is a canyon with the most phenomenal rock formations and there is a look out point that one can drive to and peer into the depths of the canyon below.  Way back in the history of my country, there were settlers who traversed the dry inland plains of my country and when they came upon this canyon, and its great depth and the vista over the endless plains around it, they felt a great sense of desolation and named it as such.

I let the wedding rings slip out of my hand and fall to the depths below, hearing them tinkle as they bounced off the rock face on their freefall into the depths below... .

And yet, there was the most amazing sense of life in this "desolate" canyon, trees and plants were growing in the crevices on the rock faces, and it was teeming with birdlife and reverberating with birdsong.  A symbol to me of the endless cycle of death and rebirth.  After despair and suffering, comes hope.

fromheeltoheal

Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 07:42:39 AM »

Synonyms for desolation include misery, sadness, unhappiness, despondency, sorrow, depression, grief, and woe; maybe letting those rings fall into that place took all of that with them, to where they're supposed to be, and you remained above it all, with new life teeming.  That feels good!
Lucky Jim

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 09:44:15 AM »

Hey Ihope2,

I think rituals like your ring tossing ceremony are wonderfully healing.  After separating from my now-divorced BPDxW, I had an old, worn-out guitar case from a guitar that she had given to me.  I decorated the guitar case with phrases expressing the hurt that I was letting go of, then one day placed the case on a huge bonfire at the beach with friends.  The conflagration when the guitar case caught fire was amazing and the flames seemed to burn up much of my anger and sadness.  I still look back on that bonfire with a sense of gratitude and relief.  It helped me to move on.

As you note, the "valley of desolation" is teeming with life.  Yes, out of suffering comes new growth and grace.

Hang in there,

Lucky Jim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest