Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 11:19:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another one of "those" texts...is there a better way other than ignore it  (Read 1093 times)
formflier
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: October 26, 2015, 09:09:27 AM »

Like many on these boards... .we used to get in raging text and phone and email battles.  My life is much better now that I ignore texts like this.

I've tried some validation in the past (via text) and if I missed the "target"... .it seems to escalate... .big time.

Asking about her emotions seems to escalate as well. 

But... .I'm genuinely interested in if there is a better way to "calm" or "help". 

Note:  my comments about "surging" was a bit of a dipping my toe in the water to see if she was better (she wasn't).  If there was a kind response my plan was to call and talk to her.  I left home early for a medical appointment this morning.  She was cranky when I left... .claimed to not know about the appointment.  She knew.  We discussed last night, and day before... .and it was on her calendar... .etc etc etc. 

below is the exchange  .tried to take out names and such

ff wife : (ff) last night when you brought things in from the van for our trip you didn't bring everything in its a mess we can't find James the shoes for school this morning I managed to find clothes to get him you ready for school you brought in your laptop bag which was sitting right next to mine which you left in the van he left my purse in the van he seem to have taken care of yourself and no one else the living room is just an absolute wreck it needs to be cleaned the laundry needs to be done you got up this morning didn't like any of the rest of us up as I have done for you you are not depressed there is nothing wrong with you you are just absolutely lazy you are not working right now and you are not applying for jobs and you continue on as if there's nothing wrong I will not be going to work any longer because I obviously need to be here to take care of the kids I can't do both anymore you need to find a job 6:33 AM

ff wife: Your feelings for me do not matter here you have created 8 children and you need to support them... .Your military retirement plus disability is not enough to support a family this large whether or not you convince the military you cannot hold a decent job... .we both know you are more than capable 6:38 AM

ff wife: If it is one of your buddies encouraging you to act as if you cannot hold a job in order to get more disability please ask yourself this question... .Does he have a job? Is he working to support his much smaller than ours family?/why aren't you? 6:49 AM

ff wife: You can hold a high paying job and excel at it... .You just don't want to. 6:50 AM

Me: Surging on Monday morning 8:00 AM

dinah new google voice: A few hundred bucks every few weeks isn't enough 8:20 AM

That's the end of it... .sigh... .

I'm having an ok morning in spite of this... .I see why people get in the habit of "blocking" certain people from communicating with them.

FF

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 09:11:02 AM »

We are in the middle of a move.

We came back from delivering some items about a days drive away.

She went to bed... didn't help unload.

FF

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:24:46 AM »

Hi FF,

A common theme I have seen with the texts from your wife typically sends is her reaction to messiness (chaos). She seems to get very stressed out when there is disorder. Moving is a stressful time for anyone, I can imagine that it is really stressing her out.  Have you noticed this as well?

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
KateCat

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 09:29:36 AM »

For some reason, I never imagined our veterans coming home from the country's wars to situations like this. 

But it makes total sense, doesn't it? Spouses who aren't psychologically healthy can become even more unhealthy under stress, and become abusers rather than supporters. Geez.

Does the Veterans' Administration have any support for members who are in situations like this? Would they like to hire a veteran with experience of a situation like this (as evidenced, maybe, by something very like this text message barrage) to create support models? Or create a VA-specific website similar to bpdfamily?

I wonder if something like the work you've done on this forum could provide a path to a new calling.

Daniell85

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 09:41:49 AM »

I would validate to her that things are very messy and stressful right now as your family is going through this transition and that things being "up in the air" can really make a person worry.

She is worrying and then getting really mad about the daily "mess".

Obviously she is not the only one going through the move, the kids are, and you are. It's falling onto you in ways I would personally find hurtful and frustrating.

Speaking of Vet's assistance stuff, is there any way you could get someone to come in a couple of hours a day to help assist with the household stuff? I mean are you eligible for something like that or is there a local group who offers support to vets?

Notwendy

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 10:15:29 AM »

FF, I agree that this is a stressful time for you and your family and also, that I wish there was more help for our veterans.

I hear some recurrent themes in the exchanges between the two of you. I wonder if they keep coming up because they are not resolved or addressed?

Although validation is something we need to learn, the motive for validating should be addressed. Are we validating from a place of control- do we want the pw BPD to calm down, be happy, be peaceful... .or are we validating with a genuine motive to hear them and consider their perspective?

I would dare say some of us do this for the first reason. Seeing the point of view of someone who we don't agree with, someone who triggers us is not easy. Yet, it is their feelings and reality.

It was an eye opener to hear how invalidated my mother felt. I saw my father as a victim of her behavior. As a child, we had no choice in the situation, so at a young age, we were victims. So when my mother starts speaking as if she is a victim of us kids and our father, it made no sense to us.

But the truth is, we had written her off in terms of any credibility, made her the bad guy, stopped listening to her long ago. My task as an adult was to actually listen to her and bite my tongue... .and connect with that pain she had. I could connect with feeling invalidated as well.

I see a couple of recurrent themes for your wife. One is the seeming role reversals for the two of you. You have mentioned before that your family is a traditional model. I also think that there are different models for families, and that families choose which one works best for them. It may be best for all involved if you stay at home while she works, but this doesn't mean she is comfortable with it, and she may be expressing that.

I hear her concerns about your family's financial stability.

I also hear her discomfort with disorder.

Although you are doing the best you can, and a move is disruptive, is there some way you can hear her and connect to her feelings?

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 10:38:41 AM »

It continues... .

ff wife: A 45 year old man trying to have himself declared unemployable because he can't have the job he wanted and so just does not want to work is disgusting. You cannot have it both ways... .Either you are too 'disabled' to be employable and need to give me complete control of our finances and all material possessions and decision making for our family or you are not so disabled and are able to work and help with decision-making at home. 9:37 AM

ff wife: Does your posse of buds you are getting advice from know social services removed you from our home? 9:38 AM

ff wife: I can handle a broken man who is mentally not OK... .(ff psychologist) claimed to "fix" that... .I can handle being screamed at and blamed for literally almost everything that goes wrong in your life by a mentally not OK man who needs help... .What I cannot tolerate is an able bodied man who promised his wifebhe would provide for his family and she could raise their 8 children sucking the gov handout tit because he wants to somehow be retired. 9:41 AM

ff wife: And if it is true... you are unemployable and losing these last two county manager jobs was in fact your fault then you need to admit that publicly. 10:06 AM

ff wife: As of right now if you passed away... .I would be left with 8 children to raise on $11.75 an hour... Plus the $22000 a year I wld get of your retirement... .You refuse to let your dad pay any money towards our home or work towards paying it off... .Or even down a bit so I wld immediately lose the house and we wld be homeless... .You know I would take care of your sorry ass. I did... .I cld have left you and gotten full custody of our children when social services threw you out of our home. This is how you repay that and the last 20 years of hard work, encouragement, love, loyalty I have given you. It's not a surprise... .Just a disappointment. I thought you were better than this. 10:12 AM

ff wife: Another thing... .If u don't plan on working other than odd jobs like uber where you can work if u feel like it or not then there is no reason forbyoubtobpay a lawyer... .Sign the paper and get the settlement bcse we don't hv to worry abt an employer googling you 10:16 AM

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 10:41:27 AM »

Although you are doing the best you can, and a move is disruptive, is there some way you can hear her and connect to her feelings?

I'm up for suggestions... .if you are suggesting trying to do that via text... .I'm up for looking over proposed texts.

She has tossed out so much here... .if I don't address what she is "feeling" at the moment or the issue she wants... .that is where the rage goes.

My motivation is to get her to hush and deal with her own stuff (yep... .that's as honest as I can be)

I've got a full plate... .and I am doing the best I can. 

I've tried to connect with feelings.  My last effort... .maybe 1.5 weeks ago... didn't go so well...

More later

FF

Notwendy

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 11:23:01 AM »

My motivation is to get her to hush and deal with her own stuff (yep... .that's as honest as I can be)

Good, that is being honest  Smiling (click to insert in post)  but you know we can't make anyone hush up or deal with their own stuff.

IMHO, what she's concerned about isn't something that can be dealt with by texting. This doesn't mean she won't try or send texts.

For me, I think a response that says " I see that you have some big concerns to discuss. This is more than I can discuss by text. I would prefer that we talk about this later. "

For me, this is the kind of discussion I would take to MC. It is so emotionally heated that I don't think I could handle it without assistance. That's just my 2 c .
Notwendy

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 11:43:35 AM »

Personally, I decided that I was not able to handle emotionally laden discussions because the emotions and feelings attached to them were beyond any possible way I knew for resolution.

In these discussions, I think there is a part that is true, and then, there is the part that is the primal wound repeating itself. That's the part I can't get at. If the issue is something I'm upset about, speaking with someone with BPD gets translated into their own interpretation and I can't get to that. A T can help with that.

Some is also fear and loss of control appearing as fact. Certainly, my father's health in his older years had to be terrifying to my mother- it was to me, but there were times she perceived her fears as something he was "doing to her".

Where I saw this with my H was when he interpreted me being rude to his family and what was happening had nothing to do with that. I could not have resolved this by discussing it since the feelings didn't come from me. The kernel of truth though is that I get annoyed with his FOO and he knows that, but I have not been rude to them.

There is both truth and emotions in your wife's communications, and this is a tough one.

Your wife seems scared about your families security.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 01:58:08 PM »

Hi formflier,

I can see how you would have a full plate. I would find a one liner invalidating. I validate my kids, I've been validating them since I arrived here at bpdfamily, I find that they express how they feel, it helps to connect with my kids, it took time and practice.

I  listen to the tone of their voice, I also listen to the tone of people's voices, family members, friends, co-workers etc... I find that it helps with identifying what a person is feeling. Do they sound worried, sad, frustrated, stressed? Maybe you missed the mark in the past, I think it takes hands on practice.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Daniell85

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 02:50:29 PM »

The lady is exceedingly provocative. While there is probably a basic underlying fear she has that can maybe be addressed, I can see how overall a person could get worn down and lose some will to try and sort her out.

Are things truly that precarious materially, or is she mostly panicking and cutting loose to dump her emotions on you?
Sunfl0wer
`

Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 03:09:44 PM »

Wow! 

Is there a pattern that she follows, FF?

What do you predict?  Does she likely stay in this mode until the move is complete?  Will she calm down after the move is complete, or will it take some more weeks after the move?

I know with my BPD sis, certain things just set her "off" and there is no turning back until the situation is different. Or until she switches targets. You just have to lay low until the storm passes, even if it is months.  I wonder if this is the case for your W as well.

Do you think there is anything you can try to "form an alliance" with her on?  Or somehow get her on "your side?"  Some pwBPD in my life have been able to switch rage gears if another bigger crisis came along... .and they could be coddled for the experience.  For example... .a family member died, then that overshadowed the original rage... .and sis got comfort from everyone and got to play the "victim" role instead.  Sorry this is not a pragmatic example... .as no one wants a death... .but hopefully I was able to convey the concept.  When sis was in this mode... .it only took a severe game changer to knock her to her knees... .I cannot come up with one tho for your situation... .if that even relates to yours and your wife's ways of dealing.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 04:42:29 PM »

Hi formflier,

I can see how you would have a full plate. I would find a one liner invalidating. I validate my kids, I've been validating them since I arrived here at bpdfamily, I find that they express how they feel, it helps to connect with my kids, it took time and practice.

I  listen to the tone of their voice, I also listen to the tone of people's voices, family members, friends, co-workers etc... I find that it helps with identifying what a person is feeling. Do they sound worried, sad, frustrated, stressed? Maybe you missed the mark in the past, I think it takes hands on practice.

Today was all via text.  The "surge" comment was good news... me testing the waters so to speak.  Surge means ride share fares are up. 

I agree... I much rather discuss in person and have similar experiences being better at validation in person.

Any ideas how to handle the text exchange... .other than ignore it.

I've tried to call or text validation in the past and it seemed to enrage... .

Plus... .we have agreed numerous times... .in and out of counseling to not have conversations like that via text or email.

So... .today... .I ignored it other than my one text to see if she was still worked up.

If she hadn't been worked up my plan was to call and say hey... .see what I could accomplish via phone.

FF

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 04:44:46 PM »

So, she worked 1/2 day at school.  Started after the end of her text rant.

I called her after work and she seemed fine.  Talked about her day... .she seemed normal.

When I got home the kiss was a bit tepid... .we are heading out to celebrate a birthday.

No chance for a discussion.

I tried to see if any talk could happen and she kept staring at her phone and playing a video really loud on her phone.

Heading out for birthday with entire family in few minutes.

FF

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 04:47:31 PM »

My guess is that she will be cranky until move is complete... .sometime in December when move is all done... house closed on and all that.

Actually... .probably until things settle down in new place.

There is no basis in fact to what she is worried about.

There is food, a house and other goodies. 

There are not as many goodies as she is used to or wants.

She will alternate between demanding we have money... .and then being glad we are "poor".

Most of the claims she made in the text rant are wildly off... .

More later... .will try to discuss... and get on her side later this evening.  If possible.

FF

Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 04:50:34 PM »

Any ideas how to handle the text exchange... .other than ignore it.

Sure. I get similar emails from my ex. I find something valid that I can validate.

ff wife : (ff) last night when you brought things in from the van for our trip you didn't bring everything in its a mess we can't find James the shoes for school this morning I managed to find clothes to get him you ready for school you brought in your laptop bag which was sitting right next to mine which you left in the van he left my purse in the van he seem to have taken care of yourself and no one else the living room is just an absolute wreck it needs to be cleaned the laundry needs to be done you got up this morning didn't like any of the rest of us up as I have done for you you are not depressed there is nothing wrong with you you are just absolutely lazy you are not working right now and you are not applying for jobs and you continue on as if there's nothing wrong I will not be going to work any longer because I obviously need to be here to take care of the kids I can't do both anymore you need to find a job 6:33 AM

ff wife: Your feelings for me do not matter here you have created 8 children and you need to support them... .Your military retirement plus disability is not enough to support a family this large whether or not you convince the military you cannot hold a decent job... .we both know you are more than capable 6:38 AM

ff wife: If it is one of your buddies encouraging you to act as if you cannot hold a job in order to get more disability please ask yourself this question... .Does he have a job? Is he working to support his much smaller than ours family?/why aren't you? 6:49 AM

ff wife: You can hold a high paying job and excel at it... .You just don't want to. 6:50 AM

What do you see in the first three texts that you can validate? What is the root of the issue in the texts?

I see that she's upset because of the messiness and you told her news, it's invalidating because it sounds like you're not listening.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Sunfl0wer
`

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 05:03:07 PM »

Holidays are approaching as well.  Idk if that adds to stress in your household.  I wonder if you can come up with some ways to simplify to help minimize "anticipated" stress.  Such as... .putting off some traditions/shopping or something this year due to the move.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
JohnLove

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 06:58:59 PM »

My guess is that she will be cranky until move is complete... .sometime in December when move is all done... house closed on and all that.

Actually... .probably until things settle down in new place.

There is no basis in fact to what she is worried about.

There is food, a house and other goodies. 

There are not as many goodies as she is used to or wants.

She will alternate between demanding we have money... .and then being glad we are "poor".

Most of the claims she made in the text rant are wildly off... .

More later... .will try to discuss... and get on her side later this evening.  If possible.

FF

And then the festive season will be upon us and more dysregulations for the silly season?... .

There is no basis in fact? I wonder if you are able to validate her on this?

Food, a home, and other goodies... .sounds like she has a lot to be thankful for. I wonder if there is another issue? Women often talk in riddles. 

But not as many "goodies" as she wants... .hmmm, sounds like she is trying to fill the BPD bottomless pit. Many people focus on what they dont have rather than what they do and it only increases their suffering. I wonder if there is a way to draw her attention back, perhaps with validation, that help her to appreciate what she actually has.

The text rants may well be wildly off... .but she was so specific. Her rants may need addressing.

Attempting to get her onside before addressing anything is a really good plan. I hope it comes together.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 09:11:55 PM »

What an evening... .glad I was "paying attention to myself"

Goal number 1.  Stay calm.

Movies and B-day celebration went fine.

I get back home.  My parents and d10 are there.  They had been off practicing piano (long story) and didn't attend bday stuff.

We're trying to get kids in the house.  I'm managing d5... .who is throwing a fit.  Fell asleep on way home and was woken up... .so... .fit is kinda normal for tired grump kid.

Anyway... .so I'm dealing with D5 in the hallway.  Couple other kids are there... .and my mom comes barreling down the hallway... .wide eyed shoving clothes in S13s face... demanding to know where a drawer is she can put these...

Huh?  Wtf... .? I'm tired... .I can't put up with any more women than can't control themselves... .so I make my way to the living room.  My Dad starts waving a news article in my face... .demanding to know if I have read it.  Article is about me... .another long story... .not good news.

Note... .nobody said good evening... .hi... .how are you doing... .

I said "I'm not reading news articles... " and walked out of the room.  Went upstairs and stayed by myself for 5-10 minutes.

My mom could be hear grumping at my Dad downstairs... .then they left.

Everyone is now in bed...

Has the world gone crazy? 

FF

JohnLove

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 09:51:14 PM »

Geez... .that sounds like a bit to deal with when you're probably hyper vigilant with regard to your wife. Who was it that said "Life wasn't meant to be easy".  Smiling (click to insert in post)

I think you achieved your main goal and so that is a success. The day going well was another success.

Parents invading personal space is an issue in itself. I guess your Mum was trying to help. Wouldn't she know where the clothes go... .or couldn't she sit them on the bed for S13 to put away?

I know the feeling about too many people (esp. female) seemingly dysregulating all at once. It does get too much... .and you are outnumbered.

I'm guessing your Dad thought that was important to raise immediately... .especially if it wasn't good news.

It's one of my real pet peeves when I am not acknowledged with a greeting when meeting or leaving people. It is plain thoughtless and disrespectful. Invalidating to almost anyone who cares.

No the world hasn't gone crazy... .but you would be forgiven for thinking that at times.
unicorn2014

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 12:39:12 AM »

It continues... .

ff wife: A 45 year old man trying to have himself declared unemployable because he can't have the job he wanted and so just does not want to work is disgusting. You cannot have it both ways... .Either you are too 'disabled' to be employable and need to give me complete control of our finances and all material possessions and decision making for our family or you are not so disabled and are able to work and help with decision-making at home. 9:37 AM

ff wife: Does your posse of buds you are getting advice from know social services removed you from our home? 9:38 AM

ff wife: I can handle a broken man who is mentally not OK... .(ff psychologist) claimed to "fix" that... .I can handle being screamed at and blamed for literally almost everything that goes wrong in your life by a mentally not OK man who needs help... .What I cannot tolerate is an able bodied man who promised his wifebhe would provide for his family and she could raise their 8 children sucking the gov handout tit because he wants to somehow be retired. 9:41 AM

ff wife: And if it is true... you are unemployable and losing these last two county manager jobs was in fact your fault then you need to admit that publicly. 10:06 AM

ff wife: As of right now if you passed away... .I would be left with 8 children to raise on $11.75 an hour... Plus the $22000 a year I wld get of your retirement... .You refuse to let your dad pay any money towards our home or work towards paying it off... .Or even down a bit so I wld immediately lose the house and we wld be homeless... .You know I would take care of your sorry ass. I did... .I cld have left you and gotten full custody of our children when social services threw you out of our home. This is how you repay that and the last 20 years of hard work, encouragement, love, loyalty I have given you. It's not a surprise... .Just a disappointment. I thought you were better than this. 10:12 AM

ff wife: Another thing... .If u don't plan on working other than odd jobs like uber where you can work if u feel like it or not then there is no reason forbyoubtobpay a lawyer... .Sign the paper and get the settlement bcse we don't hv to worry abt an employer googling you 10:16 AM

Hi FF, I'm sorry you're going through this.   Your wife actually reminds me of how my mother treats my father.  Thank you for posting this. It was helpful to me.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 10:53:33 AM »

Well... .pretty much today she is acting like things are normal... .

I'm on an all day trip.  Planned for a while.  She tried to act surprised this morning that I was leaving. 

After that nothing weird.

Going to start a different post to discuss patterns in my r/s.

Maybe a last question to hang out there for comment.

On the one hand... .I hate ignoring someone... .and I hate being ignored. 

I would like to try and validate something via text the next time one of these text bombs happens. 

However... .I don't want to "feed the beast" and encourage more text bombing.

Any idea on how I can tell the difference?  There was a lot of info in this text bomb... .my plan is to try and pick something less controversial and stick to validating that.

Such as messy might be easier to validate than I'm a lazy a$$. 

I can actually agree that things were messier than normal... .no argument there.  We had just loaded up several things from the house and moved them to our new location.  So... .of course things will be messy and not like they were. 

Anyway... .that's where my heart and head is now.  `

Any comments on sticking with text validation... .or calling her and trying to do it via voice? 

FF

Sunfl0wer
`

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 01:17:58 PM »

How about: We have a lot of things on our plate right now, a lot of change approaching... .some uncertainty.  There is so much that is stressful.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 02:41:50 PM »

So... .finally got to a point where we talked and actually communicated some today. 

Tried to validate frustration and a lot on our plates... .I think I had some success.

The issue of Monday's texts came up... .and she said "Hold on... .if you are going to jump all over me about that... skip it... .it needed to be said... "

She followed that up by saying "I said everything to you in love... .you should be glad that someone cares enough about you to say those things... ."     

Luckily... .I stayed calm.  "I'm not going to debate my medical conditions with you.   I'm not going to participate in harmful communications"  I left the room.

Ugg... .I hate this twisted stuff... .

FF

Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2015, 02:56:04 PM »

Any comments on sticking with text validation... .or calling her and trying to do it via voice? 

When you get a text bomb like that she's at least half-way to full-on dysregulated.

Your odds of talking somebody down from dysregulation by using validation are terrible. Yes, it does happen on very rare occasions, but very seldom.

And I don't think that validation by text works very well. If she wants to feel invalidated and take it out on you, she's going to find a way. You can't say anything (or say nothing) and prevent this. I do believe that it is easier for her to twist your words around via text, and if she can't do that, she can certainly find a way to invent horrible motivations for your actions (or inactions) and go off in another direction blaming you.

Honestly, I'd recommend enforcing boundaries around not subjecting yourself to verbal (or text message) abuse, and saving your validation for times when you aren't being attacked. Those text messages are VERY abusive. Don't reward that abuse with validation.
Flexion

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 04:59:36 PM »

It continues... .

Hi FF, I'm sorry you're going through this.   Your wife actually reminds me of how my mother treats my father.  Thank you for posting this. It was helpful to me.

Man, if this helps you at all, this is my conversation with my wife today via text. We have both been sick and she found a way to go off yesterday. I got out. Here's today;s texts after I thought  I let it all die: 

ME: GOod morning, feel any better today? My stomach is still messed up.

WIfe: my stomach is very messed up. Tired and drained

ME: sorry did you try edible? Smiling (click to insert in post)

Wife: very littleof an edge.

ME: didn't help me either

Me: hey, jeremy text and wants us to meet up. told him we wanted to see baby.

Wife: GO then!

5 MINUTES LATER

Wife: go this weekend. maybe I can be comfortable in my own house and have some space. I have no interest in making plans with you. I dont' ever want to be around anyone, remember?Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Wife: I have very little respect for you as  a husband now and I cant let it go. YOu have shown me time and time the real you especially in front of others and Im disgusted by you period.

Wife: I have never felt so unsafe and betrayed  as I do with you... .IM just over it!@

Wife: I'm sick of you making me look like ___! I'm glad you never stopped though because it just shows who you truly are not all your fluff. I don't know you but what I do, I don't like anymore.

Wife: you have made my life a living hell with your kids there again. every time they stay I have major issues with how you treat me in front of them and how how dare you disrespect me in front of your kids time and time again. You can kissmy ass and that's how I truly feel. Bye

WIfe: here we go again. F**k you! I want out of this marriage. I have no respect for you. You have never shown me none.

Wife; you have made me such an unhappy, miserable person. you don't deserve a F*ck toy from me. I'm so serious . I'm so done with you low life insults and how ___ty you  treat me.

Wife:You are not worth one change... no thank you!IM sure not anywhere I should be but you don't help with that and I don't even want to give you that becasuse you have put me through living hell.

Wife: if I had kidsd living in our house and disrespected you like that in front of them making you look like you are mean and dont want them there and every issue is your fault instead of actually being a responsible parent and taking responsibility you wouldn't like it. I don;t like it on Fing bit and have taken the f-ing abuse too long. I'm done.

Wife: I'm done!

WIfe: I know longer love you... .I actually hate you very much!

Wife: I don't want you or this marriage

ONE HOUR LATER

Wife: how dare you! Just thinking about it makes my blood boil. I don't even have to talk to those kids if I dont 'want to. Luke is annoying as sh*T but what do I do and have always done? taken them in and treated them like my own. NOt any more! f**K that!

Wife:You don't deserve ___ from me. besides not cheating(even though you flirt) and keep a job, you have been a horrible husband!

This breaks my heart. This was over the course of today. I didn't respond to any negative, as you can see.  THis is so far from truth! Actually, this is SO SO SO mild compared to usual! 

Tell me what you think!
Sunfl0wer
`

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 05:46:49 PM »

Excerpt
I'm not going to participate in harmful communications"

Uh oh!  I hope this isn't "heard" as an accusation. 

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »

This breaks my heart. This was over the course of today. I didn't respond to any negative, as you can see.  THis is so far from truth! Actually, this is SO SO SO mild compared to usual! 

Tell me what you think!

Dude... .

Sigh... .

I often think of "fighting back" by just texting "inappropriate text" or "your text is abusive"... .been a long time since I have done that.  It never worked... .

Sure is tempting though.

Make's me wonder what the internal monologue is like... .because you can see that she is having some sort of "conversation" with someone... or something... .in her head.

FF

babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2015, 07:53:59 PM »

This is from our archives, with credit to Tammy, a former moderator.

Excerpt
The Dysfunctional Dance

One rather consistent phenomenon in a borderline/non relationship is that neither partner clearly defines their personal boundaries.  Untreated borderlines tend to run over their partner's fences like a tank.  They project their feelings onto us and blame us when things go wrong.   Nonbps tend to give into the demands and needs of their borderline. We become enmeshed in their mental and emotional world: their beliefs, thoughts, feelings, needs, wants, and expectations.  Given enough time, without a clear sense of who we are, we lose sight of which experiences belong to us and which ones are projected onto us by our borderlines.   

With weak boundaries, we become sponges  who allow our bps to step inside our inner self, suck up our energy, and define our world for us.  We permit them to tell us what to do, when to do it, and who to do it with. With each passing day, our self esteem deteriorates, and our ability to defend ourselves decreases.   

Nons tend to be compassionate, giving, and sometimes needy people.  At some point in the relationship we might have recognized that our bps were in pain and out of control.  We were moved to give more of ourselves than was healthy. Or, we may have stepped in to take responsibility for their life. (Sometimes it's easier to deal with someone else's issues than it is to address our own.)  We either didn't know how (or were afraid) to set limits, or didn't know what our limits were.  So the dysfunctional dance began.

If we accept responsibility for our borderline and handle their duties and responsibilities, we are essentially handling "their stuff" rather than our own. Permitting someone else to make decisions for us suggests that we are letting them define our life for us.  If there isn't a clear boundary line between your stuff<----//---->my stuff, defenses (such as withdrawal, sidetracking, blame, rationalization, and black-white thinking) become handy ways for both parties to avoid self-awareness and growth.

What Are Boundaries? 

You'll see the word  "boundaries" quite frequently here at bpdfamily.  Sometimes they'll be described in terms of  "your stuff<---//--->my stuff."  But what does that mean?  To me, it means the ability to recognize what is our responsibility (and what is truly within our power to control) and what isn't.  Boundaries are an essential ingredient to creating a healthy self . They define the relationship between you and everyone else around you. 

Healthy boundaries help us to create our own destiny. They ensure that we are taking responsibility for our lives; that we knowingly accept the consequences and/or reap the benefits of our choices. And they let us let others do the same for themselves. 

Hi FF,

a couple of thoughts.   my partner intensely dislikes clutter and mess.   I think perhaps it comes from the fact that her internal life often feels out of control, and so she likes to impose control on her physical world.   leaving something on the counter top can be upsetting to her.

I think Grey Kitty had great points.   From my perspective those texts are abusive.   For me,  I needed to take a very deep look at myself as to why I was willing to give any credence to the verbal garbage that came my way.   Why was I more concerned with protecting the peace or trying to negotiate a settlement with her, than I was with taking care of myself and saying to my partner,  "hey this is unacceptable, you can convey your feeling to me and here is how I need this to go in the future, let me know when you can work with that."   

I finally go to the point of setting limits around verbal abuse.   It was difficult and painful for both of us.   It created a firestorm of emotion in both of us.   and it took a while to work through.  for me, and in my situation my relationship got to a breaking point, and I needed to take the chance/risk of pushing this issue.   I felt like if I didn't I was going to be like the clip above, with my self esteem eroded away.

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest