Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 12:46:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are some DBT success stories?  (Read 588 times)
Michael43

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 26, 2017, 11:17:49 PM »

My wife with BPD is starting DBT for a second time.  The first time she just went through the motions and rarely participated in her sessions actively.  We are trying a second time & seeing some better results.

What are some DBT success stories that you have?  I know for my wife it has lead to more mindfulness skills & she is starting to see the consequences of some of her actions.  I am hoping my wife can get to the distress tolerance unit soon... .I think that one will be the most beneficial for her.

If you would like to share some DBT successes or skills that have helped it would be appreciated.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 02:09:58 PM »

realistic expectations are important. things can sometimes get worse before they get better. therapy is very hard and arduous work.

what led her to seek DBT treatment a second time?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Michael43

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 04:20:44 PM »

what led her to seek DBT treatment a second time?

A psychiatric hospitalization after making suicidal threats led to a second try at DBT.
flourdust

Relationship status: In the process of divorce after 12 year marriage

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:17:01 AM »

I don't really have a success story. My wife has been in a DBT program for about two years. During this time, we separated and started divorce proceedings. So, I can't say that DBT led to any kind of improvement in our relationship.

My understanding of the evidence for the effectiveness of DBT is based on studies that show that the people who are in the worst shape -- institutionalized, high risk of self-harm or suicide -- improve enough under DBT to no longer be considered high-risk. That's valuable, of course, but for pwBPD who do not present as such extreme cases, I don't know of any evidence that it leads to clear improvements in managing relationships.

For some individuals, no doubt, but to a significant degree for the population of participants? Haven't seen any proof of that.

onelittleladybug

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 12:51:27 PM »

I found this thread and its been very inspiring to read.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=113820.0

-- There is no love without forgiveness and no forgiveness without love--
--You create what you focus on--
teapay

Relationship status: Married 14 years

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 07:35:29 AM »

DBT was developed and is supposed to be effective at treating some of the more severe symptoms of BPD such as suicidal ideation, self harm and other self destructive impulses.  My W was exhibiting these types of behaviors and she received about 18 months of DBT.  Her therapy was fairly close to the formal DBT model designed by Linehan and had both group and individual components, but was done by a single practitioner and the treatment group was substance abusers.  Although I pushed for it I was very skeptical of DBT, because other treatments such as CBT and IFS and meds were not effective.  It did take about a year before I started to see tangible results and a lot of those more severe behaviors have gotten under control.  If you’ve gone through this kind stuff, which to me is true clinical BPD, this is no small thing.  It most assured saved the marriage and probably her life too, and it dialed the illness back several years to where it was more manageable, but especially more so now, since I’m wiser.  So, I am a now believer in its potential.   With that said, I haven’t heard a lot of other successes of DBT in a marriage relationship on this site.  Maybe one or two.
 I do have some observation and recommendations;

1.   The DBT helped to decrease the more severe behaviors, but not many of the fundamental thinking problems, perceptive and cognitive distortions, instability related to self, obsessions and host of lesser impulses.  These need to be deal with in other therapies and ways.  In some ways, the DBT became fodder for the illness.  For example, it rests on a moral relativist foundation, which may have advantages for the individual in dealing with their thoughts, emotion and actions, but which is not a healthy foundation for interpersonal relationships.  It can lead to much justification of double standards and entrenchment of unhealthy thinking and actions.  The concept of radical acceptance can turn into a basis to demand that others radical accept unacceptable behavior by the BPD.  Interpersonal skills strategies like DEAR MAN can be incompletely understood and turned into vehicles of manipulation, especially through asserting (demanding), lying and demanding compromise, in an effort to get what they want.  There are other examples and you need to be able to deal with them.

2.   I believe the original model of DBT, which is very structured and consists of a team approach with group and individual sessions, is the effective form of the therapy.  The further practitioners get away from this protocol the less effective it is likely to be.  Try to find a program that is certified by to the therapy originator.

3.   I’d highly recommend you make your input to the treatment team a requirement for your continuance of the relationship, or least provide your input whether requested or not.  Hold the treatment team accountable, especially if you are paying for it.  Although I can’t find the quote, I remember reading that Linehan said that patients don’t fail DBT, failures in DBT are primarily the DBT therapist's responsibility.  She clear puts more responsibility and accountability onto the therapy practitioners than most others therapy, who are happy to take your money, show no results and keep you coming, or then say you were recalcitrant to the therapy.
Jester20
formerly Hulu

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 04:02:15 PM »

My husband was undergoing DBT in the states before he came here... .what I didn't know was he stopped to come here! I didn't even know he was undergoing it... .it all came out when he was seen by a psychiatrist over here. I was pretty angry with him!
Anyway he is in group therapy in the uk now and although they don't use DBT they use a similar therapy... .he has been going for 8 months and is committed for another 2 years.

So far I have seen some progress ... .mainly in the most severe behaviours... .
I have also seen some change in our relationship. We haven't had an argument for nearly 1 year! ( since he kicked his addiction to pain meds) we had an upset in novemeber but it was managed very well I think ( considering how quickly our arguments escalated prior to this date).
Although I think he is really trying because I have told him I can't tolerate  such anger and if he cannot address it then there is no future for us.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest