Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 07:23:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perhaps it's me  (Read 379 times)
Quip
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« on: April 20, 2018, 02:04:22 PM »

Hello.  I am pretty certain my mom has BPD.  My sister was diagnosed as bi-polar but not until she was in her 30's, and then that was changed to schizophrenic.  I have BPD tendencies, so perhaps it's me! I am concerned how this is influencing my son, who is 16.  I am also thinking that I also suffer from "well-Sibling syndrome".  I have been in counseling, but for depression and that never seemed quite like it got to the root of the issue.  No one ever mentioned how having a mentally-ill sibling could effect ME, or ever seemed to think that it might have.  At this moment I feel cheated.  BUT I am here to learn, and read about how others have dealt with these issues. Thanks for being here.
Quip
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 03:52:23 PM »

Hi Quip and welcome.

Having a mentally ill parent and sibling, it is not surprising to me that you may have some traits of BPD.  I did (still do  ) and have been diagnosed with depression, anxiety and PTSD.  None of those diagnoses are surprising to me when I think back on how I grew up and even into my 30's.  Others on this board have their own labels and behaviors to contend with so you are not alone.  It is rare that anyone gets out of such situations without some issues.  Smiling (click to insert in post)  The good news is that you are working on yourself. 

Over on the right side of this page there are links to articles and then there is a section called 'Survivors Guide'  Each part will expand with more info when you click on it.

As you feel comfortable, please share more of your story.  Posting and reading helps a great deal. 

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 08:06:51 PM »

Hi Quip,

Welcome

Id like to join Harri and welcome you to bpdfamily. I didn’t know that I had mental issues until I met my exuBPDw. I have depression / anxiety like Harri because my dad has untreated anxiety and narcissism that affected the family.

It’s different for me,I’m sure that my kids will have traits, what I try to do is lead by example by taking care of myself and hopefully that trickles down to the kids the same way that the bad traits do. I look forward to reading your post  Smiling (click to insert in post)

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
No-One

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 08:58:45 PM »

Hi Quip:
Welcome to the community.
I have BPD tendencies, so perhaps it's me! I am concerned how this is influencing my son, who is 16.  At this moment I feel cheated. 
Mental illnesses can have a genetic component and some of us can have a predisposition for things like depression and anxiety. 

How do you feel cheated?  Did you sister get all the attention, with you perhaps being ignored?

What specifically do you think might be influencing your son?  Some of your BPD tendencies?  I think most people have some degree of a BPD trait, especially during stressful times.  Being aware of a behavior that you need to tame is a good step in the right direction. 

I'm looking forward to hearing more of your story, when you feel like you want to share more. 

Speck

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced since Mar 2018

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 12:06:37 AM »

Welcome, Quip!

Please allow me to join the others in welcoming you here to bpdfamily, and wish for you as much help and support as I have received.  It's clear you have a lot in common with many of us here. This is a community where we help each other, so I'm sure if you keep posting and reading you will find it helpful. It helps to know that you are far from alone.

Thank you for sharing with us what you have thus far:

I have BPD tendencies, so perhaps it's me! I am concerned how this is influencing my son, who is 16.  I am also thinking that I also suffer from "well-Sibling syndrome".  I have been in counseling, but for depression and that never seemed quite like it got to the root of the issue.

I'm glad to hear that you have reached out for counseling in the past, but I hear that it wasn't as effective as you'd hoped. Could changing counselors help? Perhaps, you could find one who could help you re-frame your emotional landscape into something more manageable, so that you are able to process this stuff safely, and in time, get to the "root of the issue."

In my case, as soon as my wife left me (for the fourth time), I called a therapist. A month later, I joined this site and started participating in the tools, lessons, and discussions. I also make sure to get adequate rest, sleep, and exercise. I'm feeling better every day because I keep doing what works (re-read this paragraph!). Thought You can start to feel better, too, and I sure hope this is the case. You are not alone.

I do know that a positive thing that you have done for yourself is reached out to us, and believe me when I say this: We understand.

I believe you will be greatly comforted by the support to be found here and the fact that we really understand what you are going through. We've all been there to varying degrees. Take care of yourself. We will look out for future posts from you.

Keep writing, keep processing, keep learning!

-Speck
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 12:33:54 AM »

Quote from: Quip
I am concerned how this is influencing my son, who is 16. 

By this do you mean your mom,  sister, you, or all of the above and the general family dynamic? How is your son doing in life?

T

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
bluek9

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

we are full of color

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 11:07:16 AM »

Hi Quip,

Just wanted to let you know along with everyone else, you're not alone in this. I come a family of alphabet soup for mental illness. Dad uBPD, alcoholic violent, later diagnosed Bi-polar. He was the one always in the hospital. When he had his heart surgeries I was the only child how would see him. For me it was survivors guilt, of course I didn't make it out of home without my share of deep issues; but I could function. My brothers were not so fortunate. I'm glad you are in counseling, it's a lot of hard work. I think you're on the right track, finding this board, posting, ready to learn. Welcome and please keep posting.

H:healing, O:options, PE:positive encouragement
Quip
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 08:35:42 PM »

Thank you all for your welcoming posts and very good questions, which I will respond to in a later post that I’m working on offline as time allows.  Just hearing from all of you and reading the many resources here is so affirming.  Thank you all!  More later.
~Quip
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest