Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 06:42:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Poll
Question: What is your Myers-Briggs personality type. See link for test below. ( ) = percentage in the US population.
ISTJ (11.6%)
ISFJ (13.8%)
INFJ (1.5%)
INTJ (2.1%)
ISTP (5.4%)
ISFP (8.8%)
INFP (4.3%)
INTP (3.3%)
ESTP (4.3%)
ESFP (8.5%)
ENFP (8.1%)
ENTP (3.2%)
ESTJ (8.7%)
ESFJ (12.3%)
ENFJ (2.4%)
ENTJ (1.8%)
---> See first page of thread for data table!

Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8 ... 14  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Self reflection. Take a look. Take the test. What are your results?  (Read 25379 times)
Normally normal

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #180 on: June 01, 2010, 09:19:48 AM »

Hi all  - I've taken these test for work purposes and decided to try again online just now.  I'm ENFJ - an idealist  or 'the teacher' - and like previous posters, it's a personality type fitting around 2% of the population.

Certainly interesting to read all of your comments!
JDoe

Relationship status: Divorced- 6/20/12

« Reply #181 on: June 01, 2010, 12:44:23 PM »

I've never taken the test before, but one site says I am an Artisan, another (sounds more like me) says I am an ESFJ (Guardian/Provider).  Hmmmm?

Interesting thread, though!

Jdoe
PotentiallyKevin
Formerly "Mobocracy"

Relationship status: Separated since Nov 30, 2009

« Reply #182 on: October 06, 2010, 12:40:45 PM »

The Myers-Briggs test is pretty fascinating.

I scored as an ENFP - which when I read the description - was like reading an Auto-biography of myself! It is really blowing my mind how spot on it is.

It also gave me some insight on why borderline relationship was so devastating:

"ENFPs are energized by being around people. ENFPs take their relationships very seriously. ENFPs seek and demand authenticity and depth in their personal relationships, and will put forth a lot of effort into making things work out... .ENFPs want to help, be liked, and admired by other people on both an individual and a humanitarian level. ENFPs hold up their end of relationships, sometimes being victimized by less caring individuals."

The next part is crazy! This WAS me and how i felt about the relationship:

"ENFPs can exhibit preoccupation in their relationships, sometimes putting "all their eggs in one basket" and can tend to hyper focus on the other individual, in attempts to "fix"  the other person or pull out their "real" emotions, transforming them into the perfect person. ENFPs may feel very anxious and preoccupied if the other partner is silent, non expressive, or withdrawn when coping with stress, instead of talking through things. This can deeply hurt them.

po·ten·tial  adj.
1. Capable of being but not yet in existence; latent: a potential greatness.
2. Having possibility, capability, or power.
3. The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.
4. Something possessing the capacity for growth or development.
PotentiallyKevin
Formerly "Mobocracy"

« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2010, 12:52:52 PM »

Two more insights about relationship problems that kept me stuck with the BPD, bolded:

Most ENFPs will exhibit the following weaknesses with regards to relationship issues:

Tendency to be smothering

Their enthusiasm may lead them to be unrealistic

Uninterested in dealing with "mundane" matters such as cleaning, paying bills, etc.

Hold onto bad relationships long after they've turned bad  

Extreme dislike of conflict

Extreme dislike of criticism

Don't pay attention to their own needs  

Constant quest for the perfect relationship may make them change relationships frequently

May become bored easily

Have difficulty scolding or punishing others

"There are a couple of difficult relationship areas for the ENFP. The first problem is that many ENFPs have a problem leaving bad relationships. They tend to internalize  any problems and take them on their own shoulders, believing that the success or failure of the relationship is their own responsibility. As perfectionists, they don't like to admit defeat, and will stick with bad situations long after they should  have left. When they do leave the relationship, they will believe that the failure was their fault, and that there was surely something they could have done to save the relationship. "

YIKES, this was (is) me... .!

po·ten·tial  adj.
3. The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.
dados76

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Living together for over a year

« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »

both R and i are INFP... tend to approach problems the same way...

Excerpt
# Are reasoning and making decisions with feeling and compassion focused on maintaining harmony

# Will follow-through and fulfill commitments

# Will have difficulty (sometimes great difficulty) facing repeated strife and disharmony

# Usually are very cooperative people unless strife is constant and extreme

# Will more easily see human potential and can quietly work to bring that about

# Creativity is not foreign to them and they express it in various ways

# Typically appreciate freedom in their lives to “live” their “ideals”

Now, my friend, the INFP not only behaves in the above manner…THEY NATURALLY EXPECT EVERYONE ELSE TO DO THE SAME!

;}

his first T had me fill out myers briggs questionaire... R has done it a few times... his T laughed... said no wonder we dont butt heads that much... both too busy keeping peace...

CalicoSilver

Relationship status: Married almost 30 years.

« Reply #185 on: October 07, 2010, 10:50:15 AM »

I did this test some time ago, and was categorized as "INFJ." Expanded definition is the "Counselor Idealist.

Rarest personality type; estimated 2% of population.

Characteristics

•private

•sensitive

•quiet leaders

•great depth of personality - intricately and deeply woven, mysterious, and highly complex, sometimes puzzling even themselves

•introverted

•abstract in communicating

•live in a world of hidden meanings and possibilities - part of an unusually rich inner life

•abstract in communicating

•artistic (and natural affinity for art), creative, and easily inspired

•very independent

•orderly view towards the world but within themself arranged in a chaotic, complex way only they could understand

Towards the self

INFJs value their integrity a great deal. They are generally "doers" as well as great dreamers. They have high expectations of themselves and need to live their lives in accordance with what they feel is right. They do this through total trust of their intuition. They believe in constant growth and don't often take time to revel in their accomplishments. INFJs are proud of their authenticity, respectful of their benevolence, confident of their empathy. They also are constantly in a state of self-renewal.

Towards the world

Towards the future: credulous, the past: mystical. INFJs prefer the future and the pathway along which they aspire for profundity. They've even been known to have visions/premonitions/auditory and visual images of things to come. They are often said to possess supernormal intuitive ability in both its forms: projection and introjection. They search for their unique identity and place in the world, constantly defining this better. They are activists there for the cause, not for the power, fantasize about getting revenge on those who victimize the defenseless, and put a lot of energy into identifying the best system for getting things done.

Relationships

An INFJ is often hard to get to know. They are selective about their friends, but such a friendship is a symbiotic bond that transcends mere words... .They hunger for deep and meaningful relationships, provide spiritual intimacy for their mates, and can only be emotionally intimate and fulfilled with a chosen few from among their long-term friends, family, or obvious "soul mates." In such relationships, they strive for mutuality, don't believe in compromising their ideals, and can understand and deal with complex issues and people.

Towards others It can be difficult for an INFJ to articulate their deepest and most convoluted feelings to others. They tend to be secretive by holding back and protecting part of themselves, thus creating hidden sides to their personality. They are choosy of what and when to share things and tend to only truly do so with those they trust. When they reveal things, it is often through speaking interpretively and metaphorically of the abstract world of their imagination. However, they can work quite intensely with those close to them, being cooperative in implementing goals - even though their own trusted intuition can sometimes make them stubborn. They can become aware of another's emotions/intentions before that person is conscious of them. This leads to strong empathic abilities, an unusually strong desire to contribute to the welfare of others while pointing out human potentials, and uncanny communications with certain individuals at a distance. They are often leaders who go unnoticed, quietly exerting their influence behind the scenes. When working with others, they are very sensitive to conflict and cannot tolerate it very well. They will prevent/avoid it at all costs. They also provide an opportunity for fantasy for their children.

I'm not sure about being defined by this test, but its accuracy is spot-on, as it applies to my behavior patterns.

Thank you for posting this thread. I had thoughts about doing the same thing - on the heels of the last "test" for personality disorders - but hadn't got around to doing it yet!

Lost In Space

Relationship status: Married (15 1/2yrs)

« Reply #186 on: October 07, 2010, 11:07:56 AM »

Apparently I'm ENFJ, thrilling... .?
PotentiallyKevin
Formerly "Mobocracy"

« Reply #187 on: October 07, 2010, 08:43:11 PM »

I am assuming that the 'NF' personality types are going to be common here in the 'Non' world.

po·ten·tial  adj.
WalrusGumboot

Relationship status: My divorce was final in April, 2012.

Two years out and getting better all the time!

« Reply #188 on: October 07, 2010, 09:46:45 PM »

Skip, I am an ISTJ:

Dominant: Introverted Sensing

Auxiliary: Extraverted Thinking

Tertiary: Introverted Feeling

Inferior: Extraverted Intuition

Like you said, it was like reading an autobiography. It really freaked me out the first time.

What really has become the trigger in my relationship with my uBPDw is her expectations as far as attention, and what I am capable of giving. She expects unending attention (not a rare trait in BPs), but my profile reads as:

"ISTJs are likely to be uncomfortable expressing affection and emotion to others. However, their strong sense of duty and the ability to see what needs to be done in any situation usually allows them to overcome their natural reservations, and they are usually quite supporting and caring individuals with the people that they love. Once the ISTJ realizes the emotional needs of those who are close to them, they put forth effort to meet those needs. "

Of course, my efforts are never enough, and I honestly had put forth the effort in every which way I can.

It is amazing how BPDs act similarly in many way, but us nons also act similarly in our own ways too.

"If your're going through hell, keep going..." Winston Churchill
Totoro13

Relationship status: single

« Reply #189 on: October 11, 2010, 12:06:01 PM »

Yes... .I'm an ENFP

I have taken that test many times and I have always scored the same.

F/T is the only area that score close - but it always comes out a little more F then T.

highlighting me below... .

Excerpt
Most ENFPs will exhibit the following weaknesses with regards to relationship issues:

Tendency to be smothering

Their enthusiasm may lead them to be unrealistic

Uninterested in dealing with "mundane" matters such as cleaning, paying bills, etc.

Hold onto bad relationships long after they've turned bad

Don't pay attention to their own needs

Constant quest for the perfect relationship may make them change relationships frequently

May become bored easily

Excerpt
"There are a couple of difficult relationship areas for the ENFP. The first problem is that many ENFPs have a problem leaving bad relationships. They tend to internalize  any problems and take them on their own shoulders, believing that the success or failure of the relationship is their own responsibility. As perfectionists, they don't like to admit defeat, and will stick with bad situations long after they should  have left. When they do leave the relationship, they will believe that the failure was their fault, and that there was surely something they could have done to save the relationship. "

That extremely describes where I was with my now ex.  I couldn't give up even when I was so miserable in the relationship.  I had to figure out how to fix it.  I felt that I would be a failure if I gave up.

dados76

Relationship status: Living together for over a year

« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2010, 11:58:07 AM »

F is pretty... middle for me... I is little farther... like 20/50... but most are pretty... middle... i can usually see both ways... just lean a little more to one or the other...

R... no surprise... is waaaay to either end on whatever it is... 49/50 for introvert... 38/50 N... 40/50F... Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)... same personality type... but hes on a whole other level...

maradar

« Reply #191 on: November 15, 2010, 05:18:23 PM »

Excerpt
I did this test some time ago, and was categorized as "INFJ." Expanded definition is the "Counselor Idealist.

Rarest personality type; estimated 2% of population.

Wow! Me too. That is awesome. I was wondering if there was another INFJ on the boards. 
Blossom

« Reply #192 on: November 15, 2010, 06:02:42 PM »

Oh. That's ... .weird. I took a quickie one just now and came out ISFJ.

Reading this www.keirsey.com/4temps/protector.asp was even plain weirder. On the success thread, i actually wrote that i feel, in part, like his guardian. Maybe this wasn't the best test to take at midnight.

confused!!!

« Reply #193 on: November 15, 2010, 08:00:39 PM »

I just did a quick version online and came out INFJ, not at all surprising as I totally related to Calico's posted description. Once again, part of a minority. Does not surprise me one bit... .Good to meet other INFJ's!  xoxo

Mrs.Priam

« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2010, 12:54:56 PM »

I am INTJ... .anyone else INTJ?
Goose

Relationship status: Living apart, 3 years.

« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2010, 02:26:03 PM »

Done this test quite many times, ended up twice as INFJ and thrice INFP.

Both fit me really. INFP here:

• Warmly concerned and caring towards others

Sensitive and perceptive about what others are feeling

Loyal and committed - they want lifelong relationships

Deep capacity for love and caring

Driven to meet other's needs

Strive for "win-win" situations

Nurturing, supportive and encouraging

Likely to recognize and appreciate other's need for space

Able to express themselves well

Flexible and diverse

• May tend to be shy and reserved

Don't like to have their "space" invaded

Strong need to receive praise and positive affirmation

May react very emotionally to stressful situations

Have difficulty leaving a bad relationship

Tend to be reserved about expressing their feelings

Perfectionistic tendancies may cause them to not give themselves enough credit

Tendency to blame themselves for problems, and hold everything on their own shoulders

My ex was an ISFP... bigtime. I guessed he was before he did the test and sure was spot on. Short description here... :

They are very private people, who keep their true feelings and opinions reserved or hidden from others. This may cause them to constantly defer to their mates in their intimate relationships, which may cause problems if their mates are not extremely aware of the ISFP's feelings. Some ISFPs who are in the habit of not expressing their needs and feelings find themselves in situations throughout their life where they feel overshadowed, overlooked, or even "tread upon" by others. Highly practical and cynical by nature, these feelings may cause the ISFP to become bitter, and to either give up on their relationships, or to start using their relationships for their own personal gain. Although this problem is observed sometimes in the ISFP type, it does not seem to be present in those ISFPs who consistently express their feelings to those closest to them.
Lucidogen

« Reply #196 on: November 26, 2010, 07:59:03 PM »

I have done this test several times (one during a job application process, got the job btw) and I am an INTP.

Since it seems to asses your self-perception, I am curious on how an upbringing with uNPD/BPDmom and enDad has had an influence on this. I am an introvert, but lately I question how much of an introvert I am. Much of it is a protection, I think.
Hello Kitty

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #197 on: November 29, 2010, 06:06:57 PM »

I've done the MB a number of times and always come out as an ENTJ - the field marshall.

Wikipedia notes:

ENTJs focus on the most efficient and organized means of performing a task. This quality, along with their goal orientation, often makes ENTJs superior leaders, both realistic and visionary in implementing a long-term plan. ENTJs tend to be fiercely independent in their decision making, having a strong will that insulates them against external influence. Generally highly competent, ENTJs analyze and structure the world around them in a logical and rational way. Due to this straightforward way of thinking, ENTJs tend to have the greatest difficulty of all the types in applying subjective considerations and emotional values into the decision-making process.

ENTJs often excel in business and other areas that require systems analysis, original thinking, and an economically savvy mind. They are dynamic and pragmatic problem solvers. They tend to have a high degree of confidence in their own abilities, making them assertive and outspoken. In their dealings with others, they are generally outgoing, charismatic, fair-minded, and unaffected by conflict or criticism. However, these qualities can make ENTJs appear arrogant, insensitive, and confrontational. They can overwhelm others with their energy, intelligence, and desire to order the world according to their own vision. As a result, they may seem intimidating, hasty, and controlling.

ENTJs tend to cultivate their personal power. They often end up taking charge of a situation that seems (to their mind, at least) to be out of control, or that can otherwise be improved upon and strengthened. They strive to learn new things, which helps them become resourceful problem-solvers. However, since ENTJs rely on provable facts, they may find subjective issues pointless. ENTJs appear to take a tough approach to emotional or personal issues, and so can be viewed as aloof and cold-hearted. In situations requiring feeling and value judgments, ENTJs are well served to seek the advice of a trusted Feeling type.

------------------

Probably explains my low level of patience with my BPD-NPD MIL. 
entrepreneur_dad

Relationship status: She wants to run

« Reply #198 on: February 15, 2011, 04:49:35 AM »

Morning all.

My wife and I have always been interested in the Myers Brigg tests.  She was identified an ENFP but maybe just as important -- her F score was 100% (not a single T response).

I'm just curious what other results are common for BPD.
whatshappening

« Reply #199 on: February 15, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »

Interesting Observation. I love the Myers Briggs test. I'd say mine is INFJ, while Im an ENTP. I'm not sure if you can accurately apply these if a PD exists, but who knows. Anything might be useful.

What's Happening!!!
heromyth

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #200 on: February 15, 2011, 04:48:38 PM »

Haha. Just saw this.  I would have probably tested INFJ even as a little kid, so I'm a very stable INFJ and never test as anything else (except a INTJ on poorly scored tests).  The BP in my life tests anything from I to E, F to T, and P to J.  The only stable thing is the very strong N, and that will likely never change.  In fact, I sometimes wish he were an S, because he'd be a lot more 'in the moment'.

Borderline personalities being at their core a truly fragmented personality, I'd suspect they could go through several MBTI descriptions in a year.  Even nons who aren't very connected with themselves will test differently each time they try, so I can't imagine anything stable from a borderline.  Schizoids (INTP/INTJ), avoidants (INFJ, INFP), and histrionics (ENFP, ESFP) often score more stable personality results, oddly enough.  Not that any of it means much of anything, but I think it's interesting how well it can identify someone with a stable, versus unstable, personality.
BMama

Relationship status: Married 18 years.

« Reply #201 on: February 16, 2011, 07:59:59 AM »

I guess I did know what this was.  I took a test out of curiosity.

It's ESTJ.  According to the site I used, it fits with my career choice, at least.
WalrusGumboot

Relationship status: My divorce was final in April, 2012.

Two years out and getting better all the time!

« Reply #202 on: February 16, 2011, 11:50:34 AM »

I think the Myers Briggs for PDs are not very accurate.

I took the test and found myself to be an ISTJ. I answered the questions honestly and the profile of an ISTJ is spot on who I am.

I told my uBPDw about the test, and she took the test online. She was verbally speaking the questions, and verbally telling me what answer she picked. A lot of the answers had me going WHAT!    They have a distorted view of self, so her results were questionable.

"If your're going through hell, keep going..." Winston Churchill
entrepreneur_dad

« Reply #203 on: February 16, 2011, 12:44:29 PM »

The telling part for me wasn't necessarily the Myers Briggs category as much as the fact that on the T/F scale, my BPD wife feel 100% to the F.  She acts on feelings; rarely thought.  I guess there's not a good way to track that but I would suspect similiar "F" results.
heromyth

« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2011, 03:09:15 PM »

Well, even though the BP I'm involved with can be all over the place on the MBTI, the most consistent result has been ENFP.  Looking at the ENFP[/b]_per.html]personal development write-up on this page, it sounds almost laughably similar to a BP.

Excerpt
· May be what many would call a “sucker”; vulnerable to schemers and con artists.

· May get themselves into dangerous situations because they’re too eager to push the envelope of their understanding, and not willing to apply judgement to anything.

· May feel intense anger towards people who criticize them or try to control them. But will be unable to express the anger.  Left unexpressed, the anger may fester and simmer and become destructive.

· May blame their problems on other people, using logic and ration to defend themselves against the world.

· May develop strong negative judgements that are difficult to unseed against people who they perceive have been oppressive to them.

· May get involved with drugs, alcohol, or promiscuity, and generally seek mindless experiences and sensations.

· May skip from relationship to relationship without the ability to commit.

· May start projects but be unable to finish them.

· May be unable to stick to a career or job for any length of time.

Just consider that in combination with the abused child black and white thinking and resultant intense manipulation, and it sounds like the base personality for most borderlines to me.
CaptainM
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Recently separated permanently. Together for 6 years prior.

« Reply #205 on: February 16, 2011, 04:10:09 PM »

I'm an INFP, not sure how much I subscribe to it all though - they're pretty broad pigeon holes and the tests tend to push me towards the middle of the road often as I strongly agree with both sides (I'm one of those strange people who is highly analytical/logical and highly empathetic/emotional).

entrepreneur_dad

« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2011, 11:57:14 PM »

I am also a middle-of-the-road INFP and -- while this by no means constitutes research -- i believe theres something to it.

Incidentally, INFPs know themselves better than any other group. 
heromyth

« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2011, 12:33:27 AM »

I was sure INFJs knew themselves and everyone else better than anyone. :D  Haha.
MoonWolf

« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2011, 12:49:46 PM »

I have read about Myers-Briggs and thought about getting trained in it for my job. Although I think it can be a useful tool in a work environment and possibly a relationship. I think the problem for me with Myers-Brigg is with BP is how the person sees themselves. If they are taking the test to impress someone they will have a much different outcome if they take it because they want to. They can change themselves to suit the situation, so I am not sure if it's a good test for them.

Myers-Briggs scores can change over time.

As far as *feeling* (F) in decision making it's not about having *empathy* it's about how the person perceives the situation - Rather than *thinking* (T) - thinking through a decission would require facts and inquiry from others -- Felling is about them, it's not *how* they are feeling.

Vivgood

Relationship status: married 14 years

« Reply #209 on: February 23, 2011, 07:22:18 PM »

Interesting.

I'm an INTJ now, and was as a BPD. My sister has always been an ESFP (and is BPD). May be something to do with my Aspergers. I do think that part of the reason she has never sought treatment (or admitted to any problem) is because of her personality. It's always been very difficult for me to deny reality/fact- easier for an "F" to do so. I also think the J vs P is more influential than one might think; Ps tend to be more comfortable with (I want to say chaos but not sound so negative!)well, disarray or uncertainty than Js. A PD is all about chaos, so the sense of "wrongness" inside a PD might be stronger for a J.

The INTJ is also behind my NC. I just can't force myself to enter that BPD-driven mess even if it makes me look like a "bad" sister/daughter. Gah! Feels like gum in my hair!

vivgood
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8 ... 14  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition