Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 26, 2017, 07:05:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Administrator: heartandwhole
Moderators: Meili, once removed
Member support team: gotbushels, Tattered HeartTurkish, wendydarling, Woolspinner2000
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any experience with a Residential Treatment Program (RTP) or Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)?  (Read 36858 times)
chippydog

« on: August 25, 2010, 10:51:06 AM »

My 20 year old daughter -- who has BPD --  is currently in a 28 day substance abuse program in Albany, NY. Afterwards, we are considering three programs to focus on treating her BPD, as follows:

1) Silver Hill in CT.

2) McLean (3East program) in MA.

3) Austen Riggs in MA.

Does anyone have experience with any of the programs who could provide me with their point-of-view?

Thank you.

lbjnltx
SITE MODERATOR

Person in your life: Child

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 12:11:27 PM »

greetings chippydog,

glad you  are here.  and it is so great to hear that you are looking into residential care for your BPD20.

choosing an rtc is a very big decision.  i looked for 2 months, narrowed down the choices according to criteria that i believed needed to be met for my daughter to heal, if i could afford to keep her there long enough for her to learn what she needed to learn and if she would be safe.  i talked to every reference the rtc's provided to me and asked some hard questions of people.  then i visited the ones who were still on my list...visiting with the entire staff and making sure that they understood the issues my daughter has,  were well trained (masters and phd level t's), and that myself and my husband would also learn the skills we needed to support our d when she got finished with the program.

the key to success of any program is the patient.  does your daughter want to go to inpatient care?  how long is she willing to commit to working on herself?

my daughter is only 13 (14) in oct. so our situations are different.  i am assuming (from reading your intro on the new members board) that all of these rtc's you are considering have strong dbt programs.  have you visited their webpages?  called them?   spoken w/their lead therapists?

asked for references? 

i know i am asking more questions than answering yours...i hope that the questions will lead you to the answers that you seek and help you believe in your choice.  will your daughter be part of this decision making process? 

lbjnltx

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
chippydog

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 02:15:26 PM »

Thank you for responding. You hit the nail right on the head when you ask if she is committed to an RTC program. We think she is and would only proceed if this is the case.

We have visited two of the three places, and have spoken to folks at all three. Now, it is up to our daughter. 

Did you end up sending your daughter to an RTC ? If so, have you been pleased with the results? If so, again, would you feel comfortable telling me the name of it?

By the way, as per my intro, my daugher did, literally, start manifesting more severe BPD symptoms the day she got her first period at 13. While I have not read anywhere that the onset of puberty can trigger this onset, it seems too coincidental to me that this occurred.  Did you experience anything similar with your daughter?

Thanks, again, for your concern and assistance.

Kindest regards,

chippydog

lbjnltx
SITE MODERATOR

Person in your life: Child

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 06:27:54 PM »

dear chippy,

yes i did send my d to an rtc...falcon ridge ranch.  your d can't go there though it is only for girls under 18.

if you would like to read about our experience thus far pop over to the supporting board.  i have 3 threads...when they get to long they are locked and you have to start a new one.  grin

here are the links in chronological order.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=120563.0

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=123238.0

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=125264.0

wish you well!  and hope to see you posting your own story on the supporting board soon.

lbjnltx

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
chippydog

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »

Has anyone had any experience with Austen Riggs in Stockbridge, Mass. and their treatment of BPD patients?
chippydog

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 08:05:59 AM »

Has anyone had any experience with the Gunderson Residence program for women at McLean? My wife and I are assessing this vs. Austen Riggs as a potential treatment for our 20 year old daughter.

Thank you. 
Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

Person in your life: Parent

Author of the 'Essential Family Guide to BPD"

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 09:07:34 AM »

Has anyone had any experience with the Gunderson Residence program for women at McLean? My wife and I are assessing this vs. Austen Riggs as a potential treatment for our 20 year old daughter.Thank you. 

McLean is a very well known program for BPD. Its is thought of as one of the best. Make sure it focuses on the behaviors of most trouble to your daughter.Randi KregerThe Essential Family Guide to BPD: New Tools and Techniques to Stop Walking on Eggshells
chippydog

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 11:55:01 AM »

Randy,

Thank you. Have you heard anything about the efficacy of the Austen Riggs program for BPD patients?
dearestmommy

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:00:46 AM »

It appears that you are in the Northeast.   My daughter when 16 spent 5 months at Brattleboro Retreat in Vt.   Great place diagnosed the BPD and started DBT.    She was discharged to walk with her class for HS graduation.   Slow spiral downward severe suicide attempts hospitalization every other week.   She has been at Supervised Lifestyles in Brewster NY for the last year.   Insurance covered (thank God)  Several levels of care and they will send her back and forht beteween levels of care and supervision depending on her behavior.  She is now in case management will turn 20 on the 17th and has her own apartment and job.   Worth looking into.   She still has her ups and downs but it is not in my house and as long as she attends her groups and meets with her therapist she seems to be ok.   Has a case manager that will stop by with 5 minute notice and if she dosen't answer the door they call the police for a well check.  Good Luck.   
dearestmommy

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:03:56 AM »

Forgot to mention they have specific program for BPD which is what attracted me to the facility.   She was 18 when she went there. 
Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD
My Parent/Sibling has BPD