Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 12:59:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
PSYCHOLOGY: Help us build this database.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TREATMENT: Residential Treatment Program / Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)?  (Read 6506 times)
chippydog

« on: August 25, 2010, 10:51:06 AM »

My 20 year old daughter -- who has BPD --  is currently in a 28 day substance abuse program in Albany, NY. Afterwards, we are considering three programs to focus on treating her BPD, as follows:

1) Silver Hill in CT.

2) McLean (3East program) in MA.

3) Austen Riggs in MA.

Does anyone have experience with any of the programs who could provide me with their point-of-view?

Thank you.

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 12:11:27 PM »

greetings chippydog,

glad you  are here.  and it is so great to hear that you are looking into residential care for your BPD20.

choosing an rtc is a very big decision.  i looked for 2 months, narrowed down the choices according to criteria that i believed needed to be met for my daughter to heal, if i could afford to keep her there long enough for her to learn what she needed to learn and if she would be safe.  i talked to every reference the rtc's provided to me and asked some hard questions of people.  then i visited the ones who were still on my list... .visiting with the entire staff and making sure that they understood the issues my daughter has,  were well trained (masters and phd level t's), and that myself and my husband would also learn the skills we needed to support our d when she got finished with the program.

the key to success of any program is the patient.  does your daughter want to go to inpatient care?  how long is she willing to commit to working on herself?

my daughter is only 13 (14) in oct. so our situations are different.  i am assuming (from reading your intro on the new members board) that all of these rtc's you are considering have strong dbt programs.  have you visited their webpages?  called them?   spoken w/their lead therapists?

asked for references? 

i know i am asking more questions than answering yours... .i hope that the questions will lead you to the answers that you seek and help you believe in your choice.  will your daughter be part of this decision making process? 

lbjnltx

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
chippydog

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 02:15:26 PM »

Thank you for responding. You hit the nail right on the head when you ask if she is committed to an RTC program. We think she is and would only proceed if this is the case.

We have visited two of the three places, and have spoken to folks at all three. Now, it is up to our daughter. 

Did you end up sending your daughter to an RTC ? If so, have you been pleased with the results? If so, again, would you feel comfortable telling me the name of it?

By the way, as per my intro, my daugher did, literally, start manifesting more severe BPD symptoms the day she got her first period at 13. While I have not read anywhere that the onset of puberty can trigger this onset, it seems too coincidental to me that this occurred.  Did you experience anything similar with your daughter?

Thanks, again, for your concern and assistance.

Kindest regards,

chippydog

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 06:27:54 PM »

dear chippy,

yes i did send my d to an rtc... .falcon ridge ranch.  your d can't go there though it is only for girls under 18.

if you would like to read about our experience thus far pop over to the supporting board.  i have 3 threads... .when they get to long they are locked and you have to start a new one.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

here are the links in chronological order.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=120563.0

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=123238.0

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=125264.0

wish you well!  and hope to see you posting your own story on the supporting board soon.

lbjnltx

chippydog

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »

Has anyone had any experience with Austen Riggs in Stockbridge, Mass. and their treatment of BPD patients?
chippydog

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 08:05:59 AM »

Has anyone had any experience with the Gunderson Residence program for women at McLean? My wife and I are assessing this vs. Austen Riggs as a potential treatment for our 20 year old daughter.

Thank you. 
Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 09:07:34 AM »

Has anyone had any experience with the Gunderson Residence program for women at McLean? My wife and I are assessing this vs. Austen Riggs as a potential treatment for our 20 year old daughter.Thank you. 

McLean is a very well known program for BPD. Its is thought of as one of the best. Make sure it focuses on the behaviors of most trouble to your daughter.Randi KregerThe Essential Family Guide to BPD: New Tools and Techniques to Stop Walking on Eggshells

I had a borderline mother and narcissistic father.
chippydog

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 11:55:01 AM »

Randy,

Thank you. Have you heard anything about the efficacy of the Austen Riggs program for BPD patients?
dearestmommy

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:00:46 AM »

It appears that you are in the Northeast.   My daughter when 16 spent 5 months at Brattleboro Retreat in Vt.   Great place diagnosed the BPD and started DBT.    She was discharged to walk with her class for HS graduation.   Slow spiral downward severe suicide attempts hospitalization every other week.   She has been at Supervised Lifestyles in Brewster NY for the last year.   Insurance covered (thank God)  Several levels of care and they will send her back and forht beteween levels of care and supervision depending on her behavior.  She is now in case management will turn 20 on the 17th and has her own apartment and job.   Worth looking into.   She still has her ups and downs but it is not in my house and as long as she attends her groups and meets with her therapist she seems to be ok.   Has a case manager that will stop by with 5 minute notice and if she dosen't answer the door they call the police for a well check.  Good Luck.   
dearestmommy

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:03:56 AM »

Forgot to mention they have specific program for BPD which is what attracted me to the facility.   She was 18 when she went there. 
chippydog

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 07:34:28 PM »

It appears that you are in the Northeast.   My daughter when 16 spent 5 months at Brattleboro Retreat in Vt.   Great place diagnosed the BPD and started DBT.    She was discharged to walk with her class for HS graduation.   Slow spiral downward severe suicide attempts hospitalization every other week.   She has been at Supervised Lifestyles in Brewster NY for the last year.   Insurance covered (thank God)  Several levels of care and they will send her back and forht beteween levels of care and supervision depending on her behavior.  She is now in case management will turn 20 on the 17th and has her own apartment and job.   Worth looking into.   She still has her ups and downs but it is not in my house and as long as she attends her groups and meets with her therapist she seems to be ok.   Has a case manager that will stop by with 5 minute notice and if she dosen't answer the door they call the police for a well check.  Good Luck.   

Thank you and good luck to you, as well.

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

cmikeamy
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »

We are looking for a safe facility for our 15 yr. old daughter. She's been to several short term places(usually for no more than a week) and one long term(for two months). Trying to find a place that specializes in BPD or bi-polar disorders. Getting tired of doctors that just prescribe meds. Would consider an out of state facility but also want to be able to visit on a regular basis. Very surprised that some of the so-called Christian based facilities cost so much and insurance doesn't cover them because their "Christian teachings". Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

georgiatechur

Relationship status: married

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 08:21:49 AM »

I have been looking for my daughter a place also in Georgia. She is 22.

The last time she was in Anchor around Atl. and it was just a short term stay that didn't help much.

Wishing you luck and if I come up with anything in my searching I will let you know.
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 08:34:27 AM »

check out falcon ridge ranch, virgin, utah... .that is where my BPD14 is currently... .amazing progress... .we are on month 7.

my d was dx/ w odd at 11, emerging BPD Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) 12, major depression Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) 12, and has developed psychotic features @13.  she just turned 14 at the end of october... .since doing all the hard work it is becoming apparent that she is adhd too.

if you have any questions for   me  i would be happy to answer them... .this is one of the most important decisions you will make in your life... .take your time and be absolutely sure!

lbjnltx

GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 08:48:38 AM »

I know one of the therapists at Inner Harbor in Douglasville, GA.  It might be appropriate.

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
tapestry strings

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 07:30:34 AM »

We are in the metro Atlanta area, and have used two facilities.  Our daughter is 17, and began cutting about a year ago, which finally crossed the line to where we were able to start the process for "real" intervention.

The first was Peachford Hospital, which is for crisis care.  The do both inpatient and outpatient... .and we were involved with them off and on for about 7 months.  Think of them as the "ER" of the mental health world.  After our daughter continued to cycle in and out of their facility, they began talk to us about "residential treatment".  They gave us a list of facilities, helped set up the interview to pursue funding from the State of Georgia since RTC's (residential treatment centers) were not covered by our insurance at all... .and we then had to take it from there.

We stumbled upon a facility called "Hillside Hospital", which is in "Midtown" (Atlanta), across from Piedmont Park.  They deal with ONLY children and teens.  Their speciality is DBT... .which was a major reason we chose them.  Our daughter was admitted to their facility on July 20th, and she is still there now.  We have LOVED LOVED LOVED what they are doing with our daughter (and family).  We did qualify for full funding thru the State, which shocked me because I thought our income level would disqualify us.

I would be happy to tell you more, if you want to email me specific questions.
China

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 05:42:14 PM »

Seeking recommendations in LA Calif or S. Calif. area for outpatient program that specializes in BPD for young adults and treats anxiety and depression and eating disorders as well. UCLA is full. Need best facility with proven track record. Need Now. Can you recommend an appropriate outpatient program and top female psychiatrist in LA specializing in BPD? Need help please!
help4me2day
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 01:33:29 PM »

I need resources for long term inpatient treatment facilities. I am having trouble because most places do not accept any insurance and the ones that do, my insurance will only pay for inpatient and not residential treatment. Any suggestions?

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »

Greetings to you help4me2day,

Glad you are here.

Could you give us more information please.  Are you looking for treatment for self or someone else?  How old? What gender?  What diagnoses?

We generally ask that new members post an introduction on the New Members board here :

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?board=5.0

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

lbjnltx

scallops

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 01:12:49 PM »

Has anyone heard of Merridel in Liberty Hill Texas? RTC... .Trying to find someone that know the place or has a teen there.
jceeze
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 11:06:12 AM »

My family is looking at Sheppard Pratt in Baltimore, MD for our 32 YO Daughter/Sister.

Has anyone had experience with their 20 day Residential Treatment Program?

Looking for any infomation or feedback.

Thank you so much!

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

saphirewidow

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 07:26:29 PM »

So I am looking for a rtc for my 16 y/o son.  It seems like all the good ones are for girls.  Does anyone know of a good rtc for boys that help with borderline traits and severe suicidal ideations with multiple attempts?   He is going to die if I can't get the right help. .
Rock Chick

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: Does Not Apply - Person With BPD Is My BFs Mother

Say Goodnight Gracie

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 09:53:26 PM »

Seems everyone who has posted is looking for places for teens and early 20s ppl with BPD. Is there any for ppl who are older than their 20s? Like for those in their 50s? Any in southwest Michigan?
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 08:11:03 AM »

So I am looking for a rtc for my 16 y/o son.  It seems like all the good ones are for girls.  Does anyone know of a good rtc for boys that help with borderline traits and severe suicidal ideations with multiple attempts?   He is going to die if I can't get the right help. .

Have you looked at the adolescent unit at Harvard McLean?

If that is out of reach for your family my best advice is to develop a criteria and weed through what is out there.

Let us know if you need help developing a criteria specific to your son's needs and what you believe he will benefit from.

lbj

saphirewidow

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »

McLean looks amazing but I think their BPD unit is for girls.  I am struggling to find anything specific for boys.  His dad committed suicide in 2011 after years of being diagnosed with BPD and treating my son poorly.  Now my boy is headed down the same path.  But all the BPD specific centers for adolescents seem to be for females.  We are also limited by insurance but since he had been in the local acute unite around 7 times in the last year for suicide attempts (and is currently there now after being out a whole week) and had two rtc stays at the same place they are willing to try to get authorization for something more specific to his needs.  
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 09:53:01 AM »

This may be a resource for more information or recommendations for your son's care:

www.mcleanhospital.org/programs/mclean-franciscan-child-and-adolescent-inpatient-program

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 08:00:33 PM »

Hi again Saphirewidow,

Here are some that look promising for your son.  Check into them and let us know what you think.

Evolve Treatment Centers at Sky Crest (CA)

Riverview Behavioral Health (Texarkana)

Paradigm Malibu (CA)

Menningers (TX, hospital setting)

Herodias

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 10:16:41 PM »

I know that dual treatment is best. Not sure about the places you have mentioned, but make sure they treat the personality and the addiction at the same time or you are wasting money. Look at the NAMI site for help. I have heard about a dual treatment center in Connecticut that is good. Maybe it's the one you mentioned not sure. Good luck... .
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 07:14:33 AM »

Thanks Herodias,

Though saphirewidow doesn't say her son is using illegal drugs, all of the facilities I listed are dual diagnoses except perhaps Menningers, since it is a hospital it most likely has the capabilities to treat addiction/withdrawl as well.

The facilities listed were from the Psychology Today website of inpatient resources for adolescents.

The search criteria I used was for:

Adolescents

Males

BPD

DBT

saphirewidow

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 03:28:04 PM »

Thank you for the suggestions.  I would love to do a place like Paradigm... .I've looked at it before but it is super expensive and not the first choice for insurance.  My son is on our state children's insurance (chip) which is blue cross blue shield.  I work at a non profit, have a son starting college next year, and am the sole provider for my family so money is a huge issue.  Menninger's also looks awesome but it looks like they don't work well with or bill insurance.  It seems like I have a little time because my son is stuck in our acute unit which has a monopoly in our area.  From the regular hospital he had to go to the local psych acute hospital.  He hates it there so much that he is refusing groups and has had several episodes of head banging and punching the wall. I think part of it is he is coming down off of the ssri's cold turkey which makes you feel really terrible on top of his usual depression. I think he cracked his hand and I put in a request last night that they get it x-rayed, but that means transporting him to get it xrayed and his behavior is not safe at all right now.  He also has a black eye and a giant bloody scab and goose egg on his head from all the banging and being put in a hold to try to protect him from himself.  So he doesn't meet any criteria yet to even get into an RTC because he is still on eyesight suicide and self harm precautions.  When he does go I am thinking he will need longer then the typical 6-8 weeks because seems to hold it together usually (not right now apparently) in treatment long enough to get home and then after about a week he just crashes.  Has anyone had any experience with Willow Creek in Reno?  They are supposed to have DBT.  Not many places are really willing to take someone so suicidal as my son is right now.  I am hoping for the best.  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions