Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 06:54:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Month 7: BPD d13 in residential treatment center  (Read 2833 times)
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« on: December 02, 2010, 02:32:59 PM »

12-2-10

Family Therapy Session #22

we started the session w/BPDd-13 telling me that one of her project horses, mijo, is now under saddle and he didn't seem to even mind being sat upon.  i asked her if she had been working w/him a great deal and she said "no, not really".  i told her that the time in between training sessions is important too.  that is when mijo processes information and has the option to accept or rebel his previous lessons. her therapist jumped in and said "just like teens do".  i replied "just like we all do" and we all had a good chuckle.

the therapist wanted to talk about honesty.  my BPDd-13 told me she had not been completely honest with us about smoking marijuana.  she said she never did that and only told us she did because "i thought you suspected me of it and because I wanted you to trust me I told you that I did".  i asked her if she thought that made sense and she said "no..not really".  i told her that I knew she had past opportunities to experiment w/marijuana and because she had a pattern of making poor choices for herself that it was a possibility.  i also told her that I am glad she did not have the mountains of drug addiction or alcohol addiction to climb as well as the mountain of her behaviors.  i asked her how close to the mountain top she believes she is.  she didn't seem to understand the analogy so her therapist stepped in and said "we have been working on that.  mom is referring to what we call reaching goals."

the therapist then asked my BPDd-13 to list her goals and where on a scale of 1-10 she believes she is with that goal.

relationship w/mom and dad               8

willingness to communicate feelings    7.5

controlling emotions                          9

feeling sad                                       10

school                                              3

controlling anger                                7

boundaries for self                             6

boundaries w/horses                          8

respect from horses                           9

the therapist :  "all of these goals need to be between 8 and 10 before you are ready to graduate and return home.  even though school is a 3 it is still much progress because you started at a -10.  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)  BPDd-13 has identified writing as part of the reason she so dislikes school so we are looking at other options for her.  perhaps the school will allow her to use a computer to do much of her written work.  are there any goals you can think of mom and dad to add to the list?"

me:  self motivation

BPDd-13:  i would say that is at about a 5 right now.

dh:  patience

BPDd-13:  i guess about a 6

t:  how about honesty.  

BPDd-13:  i would give myself a 7

dh:  taking no for an answer and trying to see the situation from a parents perspective.  what if you were the parent and I asked you if I could go to tina's house for a birthday party and that tina's mom was going to take us to the movies and then back to her house by 10. what would you say (at this point I am thinking what is tina's moms' name and phone number)?

BPDd-13:  i would ask for tina's moms' number so I could call her and talk to her myself.

me:  you sound like me BPDd-13.

everyone laughs again.

dh:  ok so if I say "i'm going to a party w/some friends" what would you say?

BPDd-13:  NO!

everyone laughs again.

t:  so why did you say no?  

BPDd-13:  because I don't know enough facts or who is going to be supervising the party.

t:  so anytime you want to put yourself in your parents shoes think about whether or not you would let your little friend m do what you are asking to do.

BPDd-13:  yeah.

t:  so, is everyone ready for the home visit?

BPDd-13:  Yes!

dh/i:  Yes!

t:  BPDd-13 will be bringing home a rough draft of the home contract.  while she is at home this month I want you all to work on it and type it up.  when BPDd-13 returns to falcon ridge we will make any needed adjustments.  the contract is to be reviewed once she graduates and is home every 3 months.  some things will most likely be relaxed or eliminated depending on how she is doing.  if she is not doing well some things may need to be put back in the contract.  the hope is that eventually there will be no need for the contract.  at my house, with my teens, all the rules on the refrigerator have been replaced with just one rule.  do you know what that rule is BPDd-13?

BPDd-13:  give respect always and to everyone.

t:  right!

dh:  i have an important business call coming in so I must go now.

t:  BPDd-13 has filled out a lot of the contract already on her own.  is there anything you want to talk about that needs to be in the contract mom?

me:  i need to tell BPDd-13 that there is a problem with her iphone.  the cell company now required all iphones to have internet connection and charges $30/month.  it is no longer an option to have internet on iphones.  it is a requirement so BPDd-13 will not be getting her iphone back.  

BPDd-13:  no!  i love my iphone. that's not fair.  can we switch to another cell company?

me:  we are under legal contract with the cell company and cannot switch.  we will look at getting  you another phone.

t:  do you see that this is not something mom and dad can have any control over?

BPDd-13:  i want my iphone though.

t:  i know that you are disappointed.  can you get this into perspective?

me:  i know it really stinks when things are forced upon you and your choices are taken away.  i hope that with time you can get  your perspective and see that in the larger scheme of life this incident is small.

BPDd-13:  i know...i'm just not happy about it.

me:  me neither.

t:  since we are talking about perspective lets take a quick look at priorities again.

BPDd-13:  self, family, happiness, fairness, responsibilities, friends, church.

me:   there seems to be some changes in your list.  tell me what responsibilities include.

BPDd-13:  school, sports, Positive Peer Culture, therapy

me:  so sports and Positive Peer Culture group are things you want to do right?

BPDd-13:  yeah.

me:  so are you saying that fun things come w/responsibility too?

BPDd-13:  yes sometimes they do.

me:  so our responsibilities add enrichment to our lives and help us grow as people and are good for us.  would you agree?

BPDd-13:  yes.

me:  so school is good for you right?

BPDd-13:  whoa!  that's going to far!

we all laugh

t:  the negative mindset about school makes it much harder to achieve success there BPDd-13.  mom, we have been looking at some of the positives about school.  BPDd-13 says she has a great deal of trouble focusing and concentrating at school so it may be necessary to enlist the schools help in addressing these issues.

me:  BPDd-13 you have worked so hard and accomplished so much.  when you come home we want you to be successful.  we want to help you set yourself up for success.  dad and I have talked about a few things and would like for you to think about changing your cell phone number as well as your email address.

BPDd-13:  but my phone number is so easy to remember.

me:  we can get you another number that is easy to remember.

t:  who has your old cell #?

BPDd-13:  all my old friends.

t:  were they all good influences?

BPDd-13: no

t:  so the only way for mom and dad to know that they aren't calling you is if they don't have your phone number.

me:  i would also like for you to think about removing movies, books, and music from your room that may not promote a positive self image.

BPDd-13:  does that mean I can't have my scary movies?

me:  i am asking you to give it some thought whether or not these things set you up for success or influence you negatively.

BPDd-13:  you don't believe in me.

t:  that is not what mom said.

BPDd-13:  that is what she means.

t:  you are in  your emotional mind and need to return to your Wise Mind. can you do that?  pause...i think we need to table this for now.

BPDd-13 can you tell your mom good bye now?

BPDd-13:  by mom I love you.

me:  by sweety I love you too and I am proud of you for all that you have accomplished, I believe in you very very much.  

so what started well did not end well.  this is just the tip of the iceberg concerning the home contract...we haven't even talked about monitored computer access, net nanny, parental controls on the tv, whether or not she will have xbox live again or when, etc...

this am husband and I talked about when to bring her home...it seems like she has already been gone a year.  his concern is $ as it pertains to the well being of the family...i know this is a factor but for me it is not the determining factor.  for me it is the  ?  will she be ready at the end of month 8?  will she be able to practice and sustain all of her tools at home?  in the end we decided to leave this up to the Lord and listen for His answer of guidance.

thanks for staying with me on this journey.

lbjnltx

BPD d13 in residential treatment center «

Month 1
Month 2
Month 3
Month 4
     Month 5
Month 6
Month 7
Month 8
     Month 9
Month 10

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
georgiatechur

Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »

an open mediated dialogue like this would be heaven for me to have with my daughter!

I am a high school teacher. Does your daughter have an IEP at school? That could quarantee some modification considerations such as being allowed to use a computer for all written work.

I am keeping an close eye on your "journey".
misfit101

Relationship status: married...stepfather to children. Only father 10yo has ever known.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 04:04:46 PM »

Reading this makes me realizes how much ground I don't have. I started to say lost, but never had any to start with. I would give my eye teeth to have this kind of therapy with my D24. I have to say my immediate thought there at the last when your D said that you didn't believe in her was "where did that come from?"  You're going along well, even laughing..then out of the blue, here it comes. I'm not implying your D hasn't made progress..I can see that she's come SUCH a long way. I was just caught off guard by her statement. I imagine your T will address that at the next session.

You asked in your last thread if I'd received my book yet. No. Actually, I don't know as I've been too sick to get to the post office and DH hasn't been getting home until WAY after they lock the doors. Hopefully this will pass soon and I can get up there and see if it's come in yet.
peaceplease

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 05:16:10 PM »

lbj,

I still see this as a positive session for the most part.  What type of scary movies is she talking about?  What is net nanny? 

So, were you planning on returning home, tentatively after the 8th month?  Too bad there is not some type of scholarship for children who are progressing as your dd is.  And, what type of school will she be transferring to, or is that undecided, yet? 

Thanks again for sharing.

peaceplease
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 06:06:30 PM »

thank you for reading and the inquiries.

Excerpt
Does your daughter have an IEP at school?

no she does not.  she did not qualify for one as she had minimal problems at school  until the last 3 months of her 7th grade year...5 days after school was out she went to the residential treatment center.

Excerpt
"where did that come from?"

from the dark mind of a pwBPD. :'(

Excerpt
I imagine your T will address that at the next session.

i imagine the therapist addressed it as soon as I hung up the phone. and yes, we will discuss this during our next session.

Excerpt
What type of scary movies is she talking about?

she has the complete collection of "amityville horror" movies, and a few other various movies.  her favorite animated movies are "corpse bride" and "9"... dark!

Excerpt
What is net nanny?

an internet monitoring device that can block/report unacceptable activity according to the security standard you set.

Excerpt
So, were you planning on returning home, tentatively after the 8th month?

we originally planned for 9 months...finances may dictate that we have to cut it to 8 months or maybe 8.5 if falcon ridge will allow her to stay less than a full month...they price it by the day so they probably would ok that.  we must give a 30 day written notice of withdrawal from the program according to our contract.

Excerpt
Too bad there is not some type of scholarship for children who are progressing as your dd is.

originally I was told that there was scholarship money available.  we requested 2 months...$14k...we got about $635...they applied most of it to the pdoc bill as he is out of network so his fees were not paid by our insurance.  the rest went towards the next months tuition...about 225.00.  we are grateful for whatever we can get of course.  we could borrow $ but my husband won't do it.  he has already spent all of our savings...it is just too much for him as he will be 63 in january...with no retirement plan/savings. ;p

Excerpt
And, what type of school will she be transferring to, or is that undecided, yet? 

prior to 6,7th grade in public school she was in a private school...this is where all our problems started...the private school 4th grade...when she comes home she will not return to the same public school.  she will go to another public school...very small...in another little town.  so small that elementary--high school share common areas of the building...7 man football, 1A school.  they are very attentive to helping kids w/special needs as this is where her little friend m from next door as well as m's big sister are now going to school...built in friends!

misfit101

Relationship status: married...stepfather to children. Only father 10yo has ever known.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 10:20:46 PM »

My son goes to one of those small schools. All grades in one building, though they try to make it look separate. One classroom per grade. I know that there are children with special needs, and they bend over backwards to help them. I know the state requires them to do so, I just think it being a smaller school makes it easier to implement the requirements. The teachers are more apt to go the extra mile, as well. Our little school receives money from the railroad, as well as an electrical plant. We're one of the lucky rural schools that doesn't hurt for money.

I don't mean to refer to your D as special needs..I just didn't know any other way to put it. My brain isn't functioning so well. I'm glad to hear that she'll have built in friends! I notice that in the high school here, the girls are all really close. There are so few of them, so they HAVE to bond together, Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)!
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 11:08:13 PM »

Excerpt
I don't mean to refer to your D as special needs..I just didn't know any other way to put it.

i don't recall that you did.  anyway...i know what you mean.

aok!

qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 05:11:20 PM »

lbj - just checking - you and your family are in my thoughts daily even as I am taking a break from this board (well except today Smiling (click to insert in post)). Ahhh - the contract and resistance to change, letting go of what was there before to accept a new direction in the same physical space. This has got to be hard for each of you. I understand the fears of losing so much that has been gained - so I know you have the faith needed to let go and trust your higher power - GOD - to guide you.

There was so much good in the session - let the home visit help guide you on things with this contract. If any mom can keep the skills within easy reach, it is you and dh. Now for d14 to access that Wise Mind that she now owns.

Ill keep you all in my prayers. When does she come? Can you pm me if it is this week as I may not be back until next weekend.

qcr       Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 06:39:29 PM »

thank you for the kind words and vote of confidence qcarol,

we go up to utah on the 19th ... we start the family therapy "weekend" on the 20 at 8am and will finish on the 21st at 5 pm.  we will stay in utah that nite and all fly home together on the 22nd.  BPDd-13 will be home until she flies out on the 29th to return to the program.

lbjnltx

ps  I was looking for my BPDd-13's iphone in her room yesterday and found a book I had bought her when she was 5.  it is called "his little princess...treasured letters from your King"...i am wishing it to your gd5 for Christmas...it is inscribed "hit_, remember God loves you! mommy

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 10:30:36 AM »

greetings fellow journiers...is that a word? Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

our Positive Peer Culture therapist, nali, was a no show on tuesday...had to do a student transport...forgot we were scheduled...even after BPDd-13 reminded him that we were to have therapist session...got an email from him tues. nite...can  we reschedule for thursday at 10?  emailed him back yes...send quiz questions for ch. 2...no reply...

at 9:30...case manager calls...Positive Peer Culture therapist home sick ... will call when he can to reschedule...she tells me BPDd-13 is doing well...loves equine and individual therapy...has lots to work on still...she is an awesome kid.  I reply ... I think so too.  case manager tells me BPDd-13 has awesome parents...what a complement.

got a phone call yesterday from the clinical director/equine therapist...asking to meet w/dh and I during the family therapy weekend to discuss how to keep BPDd-13 until graduation in march...she says they are willing to give us a discounted rate for the last 2 months or let us pay out over time ... appreciates that we were upfront from the beginning that funds were limited and insurance won't pay...another blessing from our faithful Father...dh and I have been praying for Gods leadership in this matter and removing ourselves from the concern, fear and worry that BPDd-13 would not be ready to come home when the $ ran out...equine therapist says she believes BPDd-13 will be ready when graduation comes about in march...this is also when gary and joy lundberg...authors of "i don't have to make everything all better" will be at falcon ridge for a seminar...i am so thankful for them and their immense help in getting me out of the last bit of FOG that lingered in my mind.

our family therapy session is scheduled for tomorrow as lorneta is in CA today...

lbjnltx

peaceplease

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 10:53:35 AM »

an awesome kid.  I reply ... I think so too.  case manager tells me BPDd-13 has awesome parents...what a complement.

Of course, she has awesome parents! Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

You have been awesome with all the sharing on this site.  You always seem to have some great feedback. 

Looking forward to reading about the next session.

peaceplease
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
pennifree

Relationship status: married, 26 years

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »

dear lbj,

Such great progress.  It is always so good to hear what your D has been doing and the changes she has been making at Falcon Ridge.  It's truly awesome!

When reading the part with the conversation with the T and school work you mentioned that your D had difficulty with writing.  My S did too and we ended up purchasing software that allowed him to speak into a mic on the computer which typed his words.  For him it was both a physical concern as well as an organizational concern.  He could verbalize what he wanted to put down, but had great difficulty in getting on paper with both pen and keyboard.  It took some time to get used to but did end up being a good help for him during the period he remained in school.  I don't know if this would apply to your D's situation, but thought I would mention in case.

The program is called Dragon Naturally Speaking by Nuance and sells for around $100 or so.

Continued blessing to you and your family as we wait for the Light of the World.   

pennifree 
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 11:15:43 AM »

dear pennifree,

thanks for the info on the computer program...it may come in handy in the future.

may all your beautiful dreams come true!

lbjnltx

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 12:18:34 PM »

Family T session #23                                12-10-10

the call started with me asking my BPDd-13 how she is doing today...her reply "ok".  I could tell by he voice something was up...

T:  not really ok.  do you want to tell mom what is wrong?

BPDd-13:  i'm really sad...i cried all day yesterday.  mijo is going back to his owner.  I just found out yesterday.

me:  i'm sorry you are so sad.  it is hard when animals and people leave our lives.  not all relationships are meant to last forever. people and animals come and go from our lives and we can take the good lessons from them and keep the memories.

BPDd-13:  i'm going to miss him so much.

T: can we talk today about the home visit at Christmas ?

me:  I would like to ask BPDd-13 what she would like to have for a Christmas gift...

BPDd-13:  the new halo game.

me:  those games are kind of violent right?

BPDd-13:  no, there's no blood or anything.

me: they are based on military conflict...that is violent right?  I am going to ask  you to think about whether things like that affect you in a negative or positive way.

BPDd-13:  they are part of me.  it's not fair that  you are trying to take them away.  they are a stress reliever for me.

T:  can you think of a more appropriate stress reliever?

BPDd-13:  no.  they are part of who I am.

T:  they may be things you do.  that does not make them part of who you are.

me:  I am asking you to be mindful and give some thought to whether your choices are having positive or negative influences on you.

BPDd-13:  I am basing this on past experience mom, you put me on a guilt trip sometimes and you are putting me on a guilt trip now.  I am afraid you will make me stay here if I don't do what you want me to do.

me: how long you stay at falcon ridge will be a treatment team decision.  you will only stay there as long as they think you need to be there so I don't want you to worry about that.   I asked you to think about your choices.  I want you to be mindful of what is good for you.  I do not want to control you.  you are getting older and growing up and that means you need to be more in control of yourself.  when you have the privilege of making your own choices you also have to own the consequences.  I want you to control yourself as that is the highest level of excellence. 

T:  mom is not putting you on a guilt trip.

BPDd-13:  it feels like she is.

me:  sometimes feelings are not based on what someone else said or did.  sometimes they come from within you and your thinking.

T:  you are projecting onto mom.  it is your own conscience that is causing you to feel the guilt and you need to own that.

BPDd-13:  there is nothing to own.

T:  this is a thinking error.  I know you are really sad today.  do you need to just cry? 

BPDd-13:   :'(

me:  I wish I was there to hug you and hold you.  I am so sorry you are hurting so much.

T:  we will discuss the thinking errors another time.

me:  do you think it would have helped if you had known that mijo was only going to be there a short time?

BPDd-13:  yeah.

T:  would you have bonded with him and have good memories if you had known he was only here temporarily?

BPDd-13:  no... :'(  it isn't worth the pain.

T:  we will talk with carol and mike about this and help her work through this sadness.  can you stay in the here and now BPDd-13?

BPDd-13:  i'll try.

T:  let's talk about family weekend and the home visit.

(husband is now conferenced into the call)

T:  she is pulling herself together.

dh:  can you use what you learned from training mijo to help other horses with their people?

BPDd-13:  yes.

T:  some relationships are for life lessons and are not meant to be permanent.  BPDd-13 has been working on a packet called "thinking errors".  sometimes parents have thinking errors too.  during family weekend there will be a packet for mom and dad to work on.

we need to talk about more positive things.  we have already discussed limiting time w/your little friend m, the home visit not being a vacation, doing chores, no computer unsupervised, playing video games as a family, no isolating in your room.  anything else we need to discuss about the home visit?

BPDd-13:  can I play on the xbox after my mom and dad go to bed?

T:  what about that mom and dad?

dh:  I don't know...i wouldn't want you to stay up all night and not be able to participate with the family the next day.

T:  what would happen if you were so tired the next day that you slept most of the day away and did not do your chores or participate with your family?

BPDd-13:  no xbox.

T:  right.

me:  I know how you like your sleep so lets be careful to get proper rest so that you can be at your best.

BPDd-13:  the less I sleep the easier it is for me to get up the next morning.

;p  ?

T:  I really think that BPDd-13 will make a good choice about the violent games and their negative impact on her.

me:  do you remember what we talked about doing when  you get home?

BPDd-13:  what do you mean?

me:  well, you said you thought there was negative energy in your room right?  and that we would all go to your room and say a prayer for all the negative energy to leave.  if you ask the negative energy to leave and then create more negative energy through games and other things how does that help?

BPDd-13:  it won't.

T:  what else is a concern for the family visit?

me:  her 1/2 brother and sister are looking forward to seeing BPDd-13 and will be here for the holiday.  we may need BPDd-13 to help keep her 1/2 brother engaged and not isolated.  what is his favorite thing to do BPDd-13?

BPDd-13:  take naps on the couch with little nicky.

me:  right.  he takes a lot of medication and needs extra sleep yet we also want him to participate with us as a family and not isolate through sleep.  maybe if  you take away his nap buddy it will help accomplish that.

BPDd-13:  I plan on spending as much time w/little nicky as I can.  I miss him so much.

T:  what family traditions do you have that you are looking forward to?

BPDd-13:  the pizza party at grammy's house.  are we going to grammy's?

me:  we usually do that a week or so before Christmas so that extended family and the kids can see each other.  I don't think there is a plan for the party this year and since we won't be back home until the 23rd that won't allow time for that type of gathering.  I believe that grammy and pawpaw will come to our house on Christmas day.

T:  any other traditions?

me:  every year BPDd-13 counts and rearranges the birds that are on the tree.  this year there are some new ones and dad has a prize for the person who guesses the closest to the correct number of birds on the tree.

BPDd-13:  we put up our tree after Thanksgiving but not on Thanksgiving day.

me:  I have already put up the tree since we will not have time to do that when BPDd-13 gets home.  it will be late on the 23rd and we will have lots to do on the 24th...shopping is one of the things we will need to do the day before Christmas.

BPDd-13:  I didn't realize it would be so close to Christmas when I got home.

T:  keeping family traditions is important for a family's identity and creates bonding so keep those traditions as best you can and maybe even create some new ones.  while she is home I want you all to keep a journal of what went well and what still needs to be worked on and email it to me after she comes back here.  I want BPDd-13 to do the same and I will get hers when she comes back.

me:  BPDd-13 ... have you gotten caught up on  your school work or will you be bringing some home to do?

BPDd-13:  not yet,  i'm working on it.  I want to apply for trans again when I get back from my home visit.

T:  have you read "anatomy of peace" yet?  that and Positive Peer Culture are required to be accepted into trans.

BPDd-13: I haven't finished it yet but I did finish the Positive Peer Culture book.

T:  being behind creates stress so let's get caught up and relieve some of that stress ok?

BPDd-13: ok

dh:  have there been any new girls come in?  have you helped them?

BPDd-13:  yeah. there have been 2 new girls.

dh:  do you see how far you have come compared to the newbies?

BPDd-13:  yeah. a lot!

dh:  what is the biggest change...what woke you up...when did you realize that we love  you?

BPDd-13:  on father's day when I wrote you that card and got to call you.

did you ever get that card?

dh:  yes I did.  you can make a difference in your life and the lives of others with what you have learned.  we pray for you and love you so much.  we also pray daily for the staff at falcon ridge that they will have the wisdom to help you and all the other girls there. I will close us with a prayer today...

we said our good byes.

lbjnltx

pennifree

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 02:46:57 PM »

Smiling (click to insert in post)

qcarolr
Distinguished Member

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 02:57:58 PM »

lbj - I think of you and your family everyday, praying for the guidance you so richly seem to be receiving.  Hang in there - there is such resistance to change the ways at home for d14, this is clear in the session just ended. Ah - new contracts so invite the push against the edges. So pray for you and husband to be calm, stand fast and for d14 to have her Wise Mind engaged as much as possible. Have a good trip next weekend - learning for everyone - and a safe journey home.

qcr  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)      

DebiRazz

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 10:36:31 AM »

It is great to hear that you DD is doing so well.  I just wanted to share a bit of my 15yoDD experiences of late..  She spent 7 months is residential therapy and seemed to be doing so well.  She would make promise after promise that she would use all she learned in therapy when she came home.  Well, she has been home since 10/24/10 and slowly, but absolutely certainly, she is back to most of her same behaviors.  She is volatile, moody, nasty, mean, lies, purging, starving herself!  Just be very, very aware that things may go back to the old ways once she is home.  I even mentioned putting my DD back in residential and her therapist told me that she would simply skate through, do everything she's supposed to and probably return back to same old behaviors (My DD happened to be a master at manipulation and has fooled many, many counselors, therapists...).  I truly hope with all my heart that this does not happen with your daughter.  I am again at my wits end and it hasn't been near as long as I endured before treatment and I try to find the strength everyday to keep going with her.  She is in aftercare with 3 different therapists, but almost everything is a constant battle; school, homework, chores, computer, phone, isolating, cussing, yelling, screaming... She had absolutely none of this at RTC.   It was so nice to have my daughter back for a short period of time and now I think I miss it even more than before she went to RTC!  I am truly not trying to burst your bubble or bring you down; (it sounds like she is doing great) I just wanted to share what happened in my situation.  I truly in my heart believed my DD was going to use all of what she learned when she got home, but after about 3 weeks, it's been down hill from there which each day seeming to get worse and worse..
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 02:41:56 PM »

dear debbirazz,

so very sorry to hear that your d isn't making good choices at this time.  I too have the fear that my d will revert back to her old ways...that is why we have plans in place to continue the good things she is doing at the residential treatment center...i have vowed to help her start a Positive Peer Culture group either at school or at our church, just bought her a brand new saddle for Christmas to encourage her equine activity, have been in touch w/her therapist at home to keep the dbt advancing, plan to take her for neurofeedback therapy and make sure the school watches her like a hawk...also she will be playing sports.

we have made the decision to have no internet in the home when she gets back.  she will have to earn it through trust before she has access, she will not be allowed to have accounts online in the future unless we have the passwords, we will have an internet security system installed on the computer when we once more reinstate online service.  she will not have access to the phone numbers of any of her past friends unless we approve them first.  she will not be going back to the same school either so we are giving her as much opportunity to succeed as we are able...the rest is up to her. 

Excerpt
I am truly not trying to burst your bubble or bring you down;

when I catch myself having fearful thoughts I remind myself how much God has been and continues to be the leader in this process.  I claim my inheritance and the promises He has made to me and the fear subsides...

i hope that one day soon your d will decide to use all the tools she learned and turn herself back around.

lbjnltx

lovesjazz

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 09:22:08 PM »

Debbirazz: I had the same experience as you. Our son was in residential treatment for 21 months and did great while he was in a structured environment with a scheduled routine. He even graduated high school there with honors! But slowly, as he came home, he was back to his old behaviors. He is master at manipulating also. He could convince Eskimos to buy ice...

I hope ibjnltx has a better outcome. Not to be negative... but be prepared...there are no guarantees. Maybe yours will be one who follows through on what she has learned!...Best of luck to you.
peaceplease

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 05:09:59 PM »

lbj,

It sounds like you are being pro-active.  I know when I worked at psychiatric hospital, we had a few return admits at the residential treatment center.  However, most of them were in foster care, and I can't recall if they were with the same family when they returned.  But, on the flip side we heard of other residents who were doing really well.  I think that being pro-active is key, here. 

Debirrazz, would you consider getting a second opinion about sending her back? Are you in a position to do so? Perhaps, she will skate through, but she will not like the idea of having to go back a third time. JMHO, I could be totally wrong, here.

Debirazz and lovesjazz, I am really sorry that recovery from this illness was not long lasting.  I know that many people must go to rehab several times before they give up their old behaviors of addiction.  It must be really hard when they are still adolescents.  Adolescence is a difficult time enough for teens without mental illness.

peaceplease

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 01:13:04 PM »

Familt T Session #24  12-16-10

BPDd-13: started the call by telling me she has earned earring privilege.  she said she would get some of her earrings when she comes home.

t:  she earned the privilege for the positive way she is dealing with the situation w/mijo...one of her project horses that she found out is leaving the ranch. 

BPDd-13:  I got in trouble yesterday though for being defiant towards staff.  she told us we couldn't eat before our chores so I told her i'm not doing my chores.  the group helped me to see that I was hurting everyone by being defiant.  I didn't have to go to the rec room for self time and to protect the group so it all came out ok. 

me:  what did the group do to help you?

BPDd-13:  some of them came off mean but there were a few who were nice so it made it easier to understand that I was not helping them or myself by being defiant.

t:  this is from a thinking error on her part that things are always supposed to be fair.  is it realistic to expect everything to be fair all the time for everyone?

BPDd-13:  no.

t:  sometimes if what is fair for you is done then that means that what is fair for someone else won't get done.  so you are only looking at yourself.  what does "fair" mean?

dh:  every one's needs get met.

me:  the rights and respect of everyone is considered and shown.

t:  all the time?

BPDd-13:  no

t:  compromising needs to happen in order to reach as close to a fair decision as possible.  BPDd-13 has been working on having an open mind and willingness to compromise when it comes to her video games.  what have you decided about the games?

BPDd-13:  I don't know.

t:  I recall from our therapy session yesterday that you said you were not going to shut down, and you were willing to talk about it w/mom and dad.  we used an analogy with mijo.  if mijo gets access to bad hay and he is hungry he will eat that bad hay because he doesn't understand the possible consequences of the bad hay making him sick.  just as you don't believe or understand the bad consequences of playing violent games.  in the end the games will not make  you happy.

what will it look like at home when you have to make a decision about the games?

BPDd-13:  (no response)

me:  if we think about this with our Wise Mind we can more clearly see how to make a decision.

t: when you first got here you drew a road map.  the destination is going home for good.  along the road there were goals that had to be met to reach your destination.  also along the road were side roads that would  detour you from reaching your destination.  we discussed how everything is connected.  when  you think about things not being fair think about how everything is connected.  the side roads you take will lead  you further from your goals.  this is something you need to realize.

me:  I see what you mean t.  BPDd-13 have you ever heard the saying "put good in get good out"?

BPDd-13:  yes.  I know that if I take a side road I will have to travel all the way back to get back on the right track.

t:  at home we want to focus on the positives.  I want you and your family to create a paper chain with positive memories written by all of you on each link.  I think that if you focus your energy on positive things you will find you don't have the time or the need for negative things like violent video games.

BPDd-13:  I don't think they are negative.  they are a stress reliever for me and I think I should be rewarded for all the progress I have made. they aren't rewarding me by taking away something I like.

t:  there are many ways to be rewarded...not just by giving things.  they are coming here and taking you back with them to your home.  isn't that a reward?

t:  ok. so don't put that on mom and dad.  this is black and white thinking...another of your thinking errors.  will the home visit and Christmas be good without the video game you want?

BPDd-13:  not as good.

t:  what is Christmas about?

BPDd-13:  spending time with your family.

t:  mom and dad what is Christmas about for you?

me:  it is a celebration of the birth of our savior Jesus Christ.

t:  is this what Christmas is about for you?

BPDd-13:  I don't know.

t: she needs time to process this.

dh:  God gave us the gift of His Son and we give gifts to each other to show His love to one another.  does that help you understand better?

t:  BPDd-13, are you in your emotional mind right now or your Wise Mind?

BPDd-13:  wise.

t:  before you learned to get into your emotional mind what would you do in a situation like this?

BPDd-13:  plug my ears.

t:  you have come a long way.  you will not always get your way.  thank  you for being honest about your feelings.  did that change the outcome about getting the game?

BPDd-13:  no.

t:  understanding doesn't mean you get what you want.  you have parents wanting to protect  you just like you would want to protect mijo.  it sometimes won't be what we want to hear but it is nice to know that we are cared about.

dh:  what is making you so sad?

BPDd-13:  not getting the game.  that you don't trust me.

me:  I would like to focus on the positive and move away from possible negatives.

dh:  yes, lets have good influences in our lives as much as we can.

BPDd-13:  can I buy the game for myself w/my own money?

t:  whose visit is the home visit?  does dad have a right to say what he allows in his home since he pays the bills?

BPDd-13:  it's every one's' visit and yeah he has that right.

t:  if you need to relieve stress what other choices do you have?

BPDd-13:  it's too cold to go outside and play basketball or something.

t:  you are stuck.

BPDd-13:  no i'm not.

t:  we need to table this once more.

me:  we encourage you take make as many choices for yourself as you are able.  if you don't demonstrate to us that you are able then we will have to make some of the choices for you.

t:  if mom and dad notice you isolating and becoming more aggressive and believe that the video games are part of the problem then what will you do?

BPDd-13:  I was less aggressive when I played the games because they relieved my stress.  it's like exposure therapy.

me:  EXPOSURE THERAPY?

t:   Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)  exposure therapy.

BPDd-13:  (crying)  you are laughing at me.

t:  no i'm not laughing at you.  i'm just surprised by you and your intelligence once more and you are so cute.  you know I would not laugh at you.

BPDd-13:  I would leave the game alone if it hurts me. I feel like you are laughing at me.

t:  you know me well enough by now to understand that I don't laugh at you right?

BPDd-13:  yeah. (still crying)

t:  we need to end our therapy call for today.

we said our goodbyes and BPDd-13 still had the ability to tell us she loves us.

one hour and 15 minutes later:

Positive Peer Culture Therapy Session

the session began w/nali letting BPDd-13 and I talk while he conferences in dh.  she was telling me how she got to drive the mule while the equine specialist rode mijo and practiced roping a dummy steer she was pulling.  also she told me that another cowboy working with the horses stood on mijo's back and that she got to sit on him bareback.

we started the session:

Question 1:

Positive peer culture is based on what application?

a. peer respect

b. peer unity

c. peer concern

d. all of the above

nali:  what did you get for that mom and dad?

me:  we put c. peer concern

nali:  BPDd-13 what did you put for your answer?

BPDd-13:  d.  all of the above..

nali:  the answer is c.  peer concern.  mom why did you put c?

me:  well the question is what is it based on.  while all the other applications are components of Positive Peer Culture they are based on concern for one another and build on that foundation of concern.

nali:  right.  wonderful (he says that a lot Laugh out loud (click to insert in post))  BPDd-13 needs to be concerned about mom and dad and  herself.  you focus everywhere else

accept on yourself when it comes to being concerned.

Question 2:

A student in a Positive Peer Culture group enters the group to be in what seat?

a. hot seat

b. help seat

c. love seat

d. angry seat

nali:  what did you get for answer #2 BPDd-13?

BPDd-13:  b. help seat

nali:  why is this a big deal?

BPDd-13:  if you truly want to help the hot seat will only lead to frustration. 

nali:  being willing to ask for help and be open to help is important.  is it realistic for someone to expect help only on their terms?

BPDd-13: no.

nali:  mom and dad what did you put for your answer?

me:  b. help seat. 

nali:  do you agree that it is unrealistic to expect help only on your terms?

me: yes, because sometimes our terms are that they solve our problems for us or give us permission to continue in the same problem behaviors.  if someone is concerned for us and wants to help us they will not do that.

nali: wonderful.  BPDd-13, how did you see the help mom and dad were trying to give  you at home?

BPDd-13:  as an attack

Question 3:

The foundations of Positive Peer Culture are:?

a. care

b. mutual trust

c. concern

d. all of the above

nali:  what do you have for your answer BPDd-13?

BPDd-13:  I circled d. all of the above.

nali:  wonderful.  which of these areas do you think you struggle with the most as a family?

BPDd-13:  trust. 

nali:  what have you learned to increase the level of trust from mom and dad?

BPDd-13:  learning better coping skills.  learning what true love and caring is from my family.

nali:  how will they know you are for real?

BPDd-13:  by putting it into action and experiencing me using my coping skills with their support.

nali:  what have you learned about choices?

BPDd-13:  that they have consequences good and bad.

nali: what does trust mean to you dad?

dh:  open and honest communication of our feelings.

nali:  wonderful.  BPDd-13 what does help with this look like?

BPDd-13:  with help and using coping skills to stay in my Wise Mind I have learned to better trust myself but i'm still working on that.

nali:  mom, what does trust mean to you?

me:  it means that we believe in her ability to make some decisions for herself.  and it also means that she can believe that the decisions we make for her are truly in her best interest.  BPDd-13, would you believe that I was a good parent if I allowed you to have or bought for you a video game that was rated M for mature, 17 years and up?

BPDd-13: I think it would depend on the game.  but the games I have and want are T for teen.

me:  no they are not.  I looked at the games we are talking about and they are rated M for mature. 

nali:  is it necessary for you to have the games?  will it help you?

BPDd-13:  they are my stress relievers.

nali:  you are making excuses to get what you want. do you see that?

BPDd-13:  (crying again) yeah, they never made me more aggressive before so I don't see why...

nali:  now you are justifying.  destinguishing between need and want are important.

me:  we are trying to be in the help seat based on concern for you BPDd-13. 

nali:  being honest and talking this out is a good way to problem solve.

BPDd-13: what is the point of talking?

nali:  it is a parents responsibility to protect and provide.  if they compromise their standards on the games then you will expect them to compromise on other things as well.  this is not showing concern and protecting you.  let move on to the next question.

Question 4:

What is anxiety?

a. feeling bad

b. body's natural warning system

c. a signal

d. hyperactivity

nali:  mom what is the answer you put?

me:  b. problem solving.  it is my experience that most anxiety is based on past experience.

nali:  wonderful.  mom read the next one please.

Question 5:

Ppc makes a distinction between controlling problems and _____?

a. a behavior problem

b. solving problems

c. observable behavior

d. insufficient problems

nali: BPDd-13 what is the answer?

BPDd-13:  b. solving problems.

nali:  how are we going to solve this problem? solving problems is spending energy in a positive way.  right now you are shutting down.  why? 

BPDd-13:  if I can't play the game on xbox live I won't be able to talk to my cousin and he needs help.

nali:  once more you are doing what you always do..which is what?

BPDd-13:  focus on someone else instead of myself.

nali:  how can you help him if you can't help yourself?  what do you want to do right now?

BPDd-13:  go home.

nali:  what if you can't handle things at home appropriatly?  you shut down when mom and dad take a stand. 

BPDd-13: (crying)

nali:  we are going to stop for now.

dh:  will you call and let mom know how she is doing later.  she worries sometimes.

nali:  yes. I will.

we said our good byes and once more BPDd-13 sent us her love.

i did not hear back from nali.  we leave on sunday to go to utah to the family weekend for therapy and will bring BPDd-13 home for Christmas...home wed. the 22nd-29th.  for Christmas we bought her a new saddle (w/grammi and pawpaws help), the move "dispicable me" and an alarm clock for her room.

thanks for traveling this road with me...it would be so lonely without all of you.

lbjnltx

pennifree

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 01:44:05 PM »

dar lbj,

Thanks for allowing us to come along for the ride.  It has been so informative and validating.

All of your posts give me such hope that while your D is still resistant around the violent game, she is at least listening to reason.  Her defiance seems to be lessening as she learns more about herself and her horse and what it means to care for and be responsible for another.

She is growing wiser and has very wise parents. 

Blessing to each of you at Christmas and this all important first visit home.

Take good care,

pennifree   
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 08:25:14 PM »

lbj - my thoughts an prayers as you journey to have your weekend in Utah and home with d14. Though the game issue is a tough one, d14 seems to be putting more into thinking. What other avenues are for her to 'stress relief' - she so emphasizeds this. And has the types or sources of this stress been included in the conversations?

The love in your family is so evident - even in d14's resistence.

qcr  

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 09:36:43 PM »

thank you for the kind words pennifree and qcarol!

she has many ways to relieve stress indoors.  dance dance revolution, Beatles rock band, yoga videos, hot baths, etc...

i didn't offer her other ideas at the time because I was hoping she would come up with her own ideas and also because I don't want to solve her problems for her..."i don't have to make everything all better"!

lbjnltx

qcarolr
Distinguished Member

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 12:14:45 AM »

Setting the rating limit is a good boundary, and no Xbox Live anyway with no internet access in the house - the whole game question becomes a moot point really. And how does this live game 'help my cousin'. T probably has these questions out there - just thought maybe the question to her of what other thinking she has done for relieving stress. Perhaps she is using this as a test point for you all in this visit.

Hope sharing these random thoughts is OK. Take what you can use and just leave the rest.

qcr

peaceplease

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 10:35:51 AM »

lbj,

Thanks for sharing.  I am wishing you a safe and wonderful trip. 

I was just wondering, if you could compromise on the game.  Is there another non-violent one that she would enjoy as well.  Or, are you going non-video game?  I was just curious.  I thought there may be some games out there (would hope) that would help with life skills.  I know for the younger pre-school kids they have many learning videos.  I was thinking that it would be great, if they had some learning videos for teens as well.  I really don't know what is out there for this age group, now.  I know that video games can be a waste of time, but what if they were learning something from them.  Maybe the learning tools stop at a certain age. 

I know that I do not like my gs watching violent videos.  My kids think I am way too protective in that area.  However, I go by ratings, and they are there for a reason.  I don't like him watching any movies where they wrestle or karate kid.  He is always wrestling and doing karate moves.  Even spiderman has him climbing my walls!  It was cute at first, but not anymore.  And, his theme for birthday party this years is spiderman. Sorry, getting off topic here!

Again, thanks for sharing, and I hope her visit home will be great for all of you.   

peaceplease
needforhope

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 07:37:30 AM »

Dear lbjnltx,

I hope you are enjoying time with you DD as I type this. I hope everything goes well with her visit. Stay strong and please let us know how it goes. I am thinking of you.

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 05:44:13 PM »

hello dear friends and Merry Christmas!

what a journey!  lots of strange occurrences but we made it home and all is going pretty well.

will update you all when time allows.

thanks for your thought and prayers.

God bless you all and your families.

lbjnltx

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 11:26:45 AM »

greetings dear friends,

so sorry to read that so many have had to deal with major crisis' this Christmas.  stay strong and true to your values and you will make it to another day that holds some promise. 

our home visit has been awesome.  I have been trying to journal daily (at the request of BPDd-13's therapist at the residential treatment center) and will post the daily details once I get my precious BPDd-13 back to falcon ridge.

God bless

lbjnltx

needforhope

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 11:45:54 AM »

So happy for you and your family. Keep up the good work. I am looking forward to reading all about it when you get a chance. Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest