Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 26, 2017, 07:08:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Why do we get angry? Read here
Administrator: heartandwhole
Moderators: Meili, once removed
Member support team: gotbushels, Tattered Heart, Turkish, wendydarling, Woolspinner2000
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS
Pages: 1 ... 19 [20]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Medications are used for BPD and what their side effects?  (Read 97596 times)
nomoreoptions

« Reply #190 on: January 14, 2014, 08:11:37 AM »

My 18yo DS has been diagnosed with PTSD, mood disorder, ADHD, and BPD.  BPD was the most recent.  Prozac is commonly used to treat PTSD, and we see a remarkable improvement in just about all areas but not until he reaches a dosage of 60 mg.  Recently his dosage was decreased to 40 mg and all hell broke loose.  Back at 60 and things are much better, it is clear that it helps him manage his BPD as well.  BUT at 60 he felt flat, so 150 mg of Wellbutrin was added, which did the trick and gave him back his energy.  He also takes 20 mg of Ritalin LA, which has been a godsend and has reduced his school-related rage.  As noted, there seems to be at least some relationship between ADHD, executive functioning and BPD.  His neuropsych tests showed that, despite normal IQ, his working memory was in the FIRST percentile, I can't even imagine how frustrating that must be, I'd rage too with those kinds of challenges.  Just recently he has been prescribed a low dose of Abilify, as some triggers have made his BPD more obvious and his therapist believes it's time and he's ready to start coming to terms with the trauma he experienced with his birth mother.  Aerobic exercise helps, when he does it.

So...  this process alone, of figuring out dosages/diagnoses while having weekly therapy sessions, has taken a year and a half.  So far his team feels that individual therapy is best for him, and I see improvement both from therapy and meds, but this is no short-term process.

maxen
Retired Staff

Person in your life: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2014, 09:23:56 AM »

my BPDw takes clonazepam and seroquel, but not for BPD, which can't be medicated in itself and which so far as i know no-one has mentioned to her anyway. and whatever these medications have done they haven't touched her BPD traits.

maxsterling

Person in your life: Romantic Partner

« Reply #192 on: April 23, 2014, 06:08:42 PM »

Just saw this thread -

My GF has been put on Latuda.  She's also on Lithium and Wellbutrin. 

The Dr started her on Latuda because of potential side effects with other mood stabilizers - birth defects if she got pregnant (supposedly Latuda is safer) and weight gain.  I also seem to remember another mood stabilizer she was on was also causing restless leg syndrome, so they switched to Latuda.

I can't really say anything positive or negative.  Her rages have been less violent since she went on medication, but that could be the Lithium, or could just be her being more accepting of her situation.  But, there haven't been any negative changes.  Personally, I haven't seen enough positive change to say the mood stabilizing drugs are doing any good.  The Wellbutrin seems to have helped some, but she is far from being happy.  She was also diagnosed Bipolar - and the meds should help her with that.  But since there hasn't been much of a change, I'm thinking she isn't bipolar at all - just really bad BPD.

Googie

« Reply #193 on: May 28, 2014, 10:27:50 PM »

Maxsterling- My DD16 is bipolar as well.  Latuda was discontinued due to the fact her med (trileptal) was working just fine, my dd just wanted to control her own care and the doc was willing to change things up without knowing her med hx. 

She has recently convinced her doc to half the trileptal and has since started down the all too predictable slippery slope.  Her treatment team thinks she is fine, but I see big trouble right around the corner.  Going to post about it and hope to hear some great advice from you guys.

Googie

To Thine Own Self Be True
TommyBahama

Person in your life: Romantic partner

« Reply #194 on: December 13, 2016, 03:14:56 PM »

Good day, I was just wondering if there was any medicine or vitamins that have been shown to work for people with BPD?  Fr example my son has ADHD and when he is on his medicine he behaves himself and can focus in school.  My wife had BPD and I am wondering if anything has been developed in terms of medicine or is science still learning a lot about BPD and how it works?
Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD
My Parent/Sibling has BPD