Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 08:59:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will you tell us more about yourself?  (Read 2549 times)
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« on: October 01, 2013, 11:20:56 PM »

We are happy you are a reader and member of the Parenting a Son or Daughter with BPD Board. As a virtual family here, the more we know about each others' needs the more valuable and supportive a resource we can be to one another.

Below is a questionnaire that can help us be more equipped to offer comfort, support and insights. Just like the family we are... .

What type of relationship are you in?
 Parent? Step Parent? Grandparent?
 What is the age of child/teen/adult?
 Living at home? Living on their own?

Who else (if anyone), in child's family, has BPD?

What is your child's strongest quality?

What are the top challenges your child is facing?

What do you find most difficult in dealing with your child?

How would you categorize your child? Diagnosed? Undiagnosed?
 (BPD, ADHD, PTSD, ASPD? Anxiety? Depressed?
 Substance Abuse? Self-Harming? Other?)

What do you struggle with yourself?
 (Traits of a disorder?  Low Self Esteem? Codependent?
 Enabling? Depression? PTSD? Anxiety? Other?)

Is anyone in therapy? Child? Parent(s)?
 If so, what type(s)?

(Individual? Group? Family?
 Dialectical Behavior Therapy? Other?
 AA, Al-Anon? Residential Treatment Center?
 Dual Diagnosis? Intensive Out Patient?)

What are your goals at bpdfamily.com?

Copy the code below, open a new post in this thread, paste in the code, and put your answers where it says ANSWER HERE (overwrite on "Answer Here", and then post it. We are looking forward to your story!

Code:
[b]What type of relationship are you in?[/b]
 ANSWER HERE

[b]Who else (if anyone), in child's family, has BPD?[/b]
ANSWER HERE

[b]What is your child's strongest quality?[/b]
 ANSWER HERE

[b]What are the top challenges your child is facing?[/b]
 ANSWER HERE

[b]What do you find most difficult in dealing with your child?[/b]
 ANSWER HERE

[b]How would you categorize your child? Diagnosed? Undiagnosed?[/b]
 ANSWER HERE

[b]What do you struggle with yourself?[/b]
 ANSWER HERE

[b]Is anyone in therapy? Child? Parents?
 If so, what types?[/b]
 ANSWER HERE

[b]What are your goals at bpdfamily.com?[/b]
 ANSWER HERE

[url=https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=210524.0][b]TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE[/b][/url]

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 05:56:26 AM »

• What type of relationship are you in?
    Biological Mother to a 17 year old daughter.  Dad and I marred 18 years and still going strong.

• Who else (if anyone), in child's family, has BPD?
    I believe that  my sister has traits of the disorder. My stepson 35, has strong NPD traits as well as PTSD as a war veteran.  Stepdaughter 24 suffers from depression (diagnosed) and late Mother in law suffered from Depression and more.

• What is your child's strongest quality?
    She is kind, caring and generous with others in need. She is witty and interesting to talk to.

• What are the top challenges your child is facing?
    Living a balanced life.  Learning to do what must be done through radical acceptance. Current Situation:  Dealing with the fact that her Dad has stage 4 cancer.

• What do you find most difficult in dealing with your child?
    Motivating her to take care of her responsibilities and live a more balanced life.

• How would you categorize your child? Diagnosed? Undiagnosed?
    She was diagnosed with ODD at age 10, MDD and emerging BPD at age 12, and "borderline" ADD at age 13.

• What do you struggle with yourself?
    Self diagnosed with an emerging anxiety disorder when I first arrived at this site. 

• Is anyone in therapy? Child? Parents?
    If so, what types?

Family therapy, Outpatient for 2.5 years including a DBT component. 10 months in RTC (child) with high level of family involvement that included: equine, individual CBT with a DBT skills component and Positive Peer Culture Group peer accountability program. 50 sessions of Neurofeedback Therapy after RTC.  No one in the family is currently in a therapy program.  We ARE living the skills we have learned. 

• What are your goals at bpdfamily.com?
    To be a continuous source of support, knowledge and hope to other parents

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Thursday

Relationship status: married for one month (!)

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 08:27:01 AM »

• What type of relationship are you in? Married to my BPD step-daughter's Dad. I got involved with him when she was 13/14. I moved in with them in 2007 and DH and I got married this year in May. DH was a widower when we met, step-daughter's Mom died when she was 12/13. I was also widowed when we met, have one daughter, 28, who has never lived with us as she was older from the beginning of our relationship (in college and then on her own).

SD is now 22. SD lived with us until she was 19.

Dysfunction in SD's family of origin but I don't see any personality disorders. Lots of addiction problems. Her Dad, my DH, has "mild" OCD

The thing I like most about my SD is who she really is. Her personality disorder keeps her from living authentically, as the loveable, genuinely funny and likeable person she really is. I think a lot of people she deals with are at first charmed then very put off by the way she acts. It's hard to explain but the core of her is unacceptable to her and she works to hide that person but it is the part of her where I see REAL VALUE and find real connection. Plainly put, she acts fake... .and sadly the real deal is just so fantastic and it is such a waste not to be able to enjoy the authentic person. And I just dislike the fake person SO MUCH. I feel like the fake has buried the real person.

Sobriety- she has been sober over 2 years and is involved with AA.

Interpersonal relationships- she is a true mess as regards this.

Gaining greater mastery of Fear and Anxiety

Her deflections to silliness when we need to have a serious talk OR when/if she gets uncomfortable with level of warmth and connection in a conversation she will also deflect to silliness.

Her lack of ability to take responsibility. She is big on blaming everyone and everything.

My worries over her cycling. Always a little wasp inside my head. Bzzz sting bzzz sting. What next? Bzzz sting.

Both? Her therapist told me she was BPD when she was 16. Later, in a an emergency session (after she was caught overdrinking and drugging with Xanax) when her Dad referenced BPD, this same therapist said,  "I don't know who diagnosed her as BPD. I don't think she is, (and he described BPD in the most extreme terms, violence, eating disorders etc) and she was too young to diagnose her as teenagers are generally not diagnosed because personality hasn't fully developed during teen years." She was 19 at the time of this conversation.

I struggle with how fake I feel when I interact with her fake persona- a struggle for authenticity I suppose.

I have taken on a lot of responsibility for helping my SD and struggle with whether or not this was a good decision- my health has suffered, my relationships with others had been somewhat put on a back burner through the worst years and some didn't recover.

I struggle with finding a good equilibrium of a combination of skills-  of radical acceptance for myself, helping her Dad to see when he is enabling without being a nag or with myself possibly not being generous enough towards her because I'm upset with her or hurt by her behavior

If so, what types?
    Currently none of us are in "therapy". She quit at 20 when we made her responsible for her own co-payments. We quit when she was 19. DH and I go to al anon meetings about twice a month. She goes to AA meetings on a mostly daily basis unless her new job conflicts with this. I've gotten more out of al anon than therapy.

To support those who are struggling, to get validation that using skills helps to improve my situation, to share and to continue to have a safe place to vent.
raytamtay3

Relationship status: Married - 1 year - 2nd marriage

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 09:20:29 AM »

Biological Mother to a 14 year old daughter.  Divorced her father 4 years ago and am married almost a year to a wonderful and supportive man. Daughter and stepdad got along beautifully up until a year ago when he began asserting his authority.

While not formally diagnosed, my niece has traits as does her bio mom.

My DD is beautiful, smart, funny, caring, loyal and protective of her friends, affectionate when not in crises.

As of late, staying out past curfew. She hasn't been home by the time I got to sleep so our interactions have been minimal which on one hand is nice, but on the other, she isn't following house rules.  Staying out past curfew, if coming home at all, verbal abuse, substance abuse, promisciousness (sp?)

Stopping the verbal abuse, following house rules, being responsible.

She was diagnosed with ADHD at age 8, ODD at 12, and "traits” of borderline at age 13.

Anxiousness.

If so, what types?

DD sees an in-home therapist for 2 hours weekly.

To get some pointers on how to address certain issues and live harmoniously with a child with BPD.
jellibeans

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 01:14:48 PM »

BioMother of a 16 daughter... .married 21 years... .older daughter 18 is at college and no longer in our home.

No one else has been dx... .depression runs on both sides of our families. My husbands mother was hopitalized many times for depression and I really can't get any answer from that side of the family. They tend to think that she took too many meds and that she wasn't sick at all.

She has a good sense of humor. Once she puts her mind to doing something nothing can stop her. Like learning to serve overhand in volleyball. She went and practiced all day until she got it right. She is very caring and kind to elderly people. She is not afraid to stick up for her friends and will defend them to the end.

her top challenge is school... .she struggles partly because she finds it hard but mostly because she doesn't do the homework. When things are really bad she struggles with taking responsiblity for her actions. I feel she still feels it is everyone else who has a problem. If we just left her alone things would be great.

I guess riding the rollercoaster of emotions. The mood shifts. Her depression. When she is disrespectful and rages.

She is undiagnosed but her P thinks she is or at least at one time they did. She is not showing many traits right now so I am not sure she would qualify. Seems that some of these traits are dormant and I still think they are there and can emerge at anytime.

I struggle the most with saving her... .I find it hard to watch the car wreck and not try and stop it. That is the way I feel most days. I am an observer and that is the hardest thing to deal with.

If so, what types?

My daughter has DBT therapy every week. She was going to group but recently stopped because she didn't like it and it was stressing her out having two appointments every week. Our family also goes to family counseling.

I don't have any goals... .I try to come here to offer support when I can. If things are really bad I might post but I have been spending less time on the board just trying to reserve my strength to deal with my daughter's issues. This board has meant so much to me and has helped me in so many ways but it is hard to come here everyday. It leaves me sad to read some of the posts and how hard some are struggling. AT times I feel I am not able to give advise... .I feel I am struggling to help my own daughter and at times not doing a very good job that I hesitate to give advise based on my failures.
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 03:33:34 PM »

Parent, married with 2 sons, 36 & 34 (the older--unmarried--one is the reason I am on this site), one daughter-in-law, one baby grandson.

My son's Dad (my husband) has BPD traits, and my Mother-In-Law is uBPD.

I like that he is optimistic that he will recover from his many troubles; I think he is a wonderful artist and writer; he is kind and funny and very intelligent.

ADD, Depression, Hyperactive Thyroid, Social Anxiety, staying sober from long-term drug use, past Suicidal Ideations. He is now at the stage of learning how to deal with his sadness and frustration over his past troubles; getting to "normal."

He still has Low Functioning BPD behaviors: Wanting to "nest" to be safe (I think he fears relapse); sleeping too late; staying up too late at night; being fearful of getting out in the world; lack of self-confidence in his talents and ability to make it on his own. I would like him to someday be able to support himself.

He is diagnosed with ADD, Depression, Social Anxiety, Hyperactive Thyroid & BPD.

I need to fight my tendency to enable him, and to be co-dependent. I need to be stronger with my radical acceptance that he may never be the person I envisioned he would grow up to be, when he was little.

If so, what types?

My son: Out Patient for substance abuse; Psychiatrist for ADD, Depression, Suicidal Ideations, Anxiety; Neurofeedback Therapy for everything. I am seeing a Therapist in order to deal with it all.

I need to be stronger in my all around emotional life to be there for my family. I need to continue to learn what I can in order to be a good coach for my son and husband, so we can continue to live in harmony. And I enjoy giving back to this community that has helped me and my family make it to this relatively happy point. I continue to believe in the Tiny Little Changes that will help us to a good future.

qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 12:02:23 PM »

I am the mom of BPDDD27, and have permanent custody of gd8 who has always lived in our home.

Only DD27

DD has a big heart and lots of compassion, when she is able to express this; she loves her dogs and cares for them when she is regulated.
    Gd loves living things of all kinds and gets great joy in sharing this with all of us; she has a natural curiosity for learning; she is very loving and affectionate with me.

For DD: Housing and disability income to pay rent; learning job skills and living skills - she is getting some of this in jail right now; getting and keeping a job - she does have a goal now for what kind of job she wants; being a participant in our family in a safe and consistent way. Substance use/abuse as self-medication. Finding peer support to keep on her probation.
     For gd: dealing with her anxiety/trauma; having success in school and with friends in neighborhood.

DD and Gd staying calm in the face of angry behaviors - regulate myself to be able to use my skills for validation and boundaries consistently.
    Gd: Keeping my priorities focused; gd's needs for safety come first.

DD: dx of BPD at in 2009 at age 23. Also dx panic disorder, depression, ADD, Non-verbal LD
    Gd: dx ADHD, anxiety/trauma in 2012 at age 7

Managing my own emotional volatility - staying regulated; willingness to do my self-care stuff consistently; listening sincerely to others in all my relationships, not giving up on life in general.

If so, what types?

DD: very resistant to anything she views as mental health treatment or drug/alcohol treatment, though both are court ordered. DD has asked me to do therapy with her - I am open to this. Has not been too successful in the past.
    Gd: play therapy, family therapy with me. Dh and DD have declined to participate in family sessions.
    Me: individual therapy for my PTSD issues, mindfulness practices, managing boundaries with all my relationships - family, neighbors, work.

To learn the skills needed and apply them consistently in my life; to get support to stay on track when things are really hard; to be able to give back to the community in constructive ways

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
Verbena

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 05:22:57 PM »

Mother of DD28; married 31 years to DD's father; DH is good man and father, supportive of my struggles with DD but is extremely negative and miserable to be around in general; emotionally detached from the marriage years ago and would prefer to be single but not sure I would be better off without him.  

no one

generous, creative

avoiding/causing drama; lying; blaming others; being a victim

Being careful not to set her off, accepting that the relationship has to be superficial and that our conversations must be all about her

DD refused to return to a therapist she was seeing at age 18.  This therapist told me she believed DD had BPD.  

What do you struggle with yourself

Wanting a relationship with my daughter that I clearly cannot have, staying strong with boundaries and basically staying out of her way to I'm not the target anymore.  

Is anyone in therapy? Child? Parents?

If so, what types?

Minimal therapy for DD when she was 16-18.  None for me as insurance doesn't cover it.  :)H does not believe in therapy.  Have considered local NAMI group but afraid of consequences if daughter finds out.

To learn skills to deal better with daughter and have a peaceful relationship with her

HealingSpirit

Relationship status: Married 19 years.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 07:52:22 PM »

Married to Aspergers/ADD husband for 19 years and have 17-yo BPD daughter.

No other family member has BPD diagnosis.  At least, none we know of.  

She is blessed with so much raw artistic talent, I am in awe.  (I have a bachelor's in art myself and her talent blows me away.) Her depth of emotion and high sensitivity make her extremely compassionate when she wants to be.

Regulating her intense moods.  She has no dimmer on her emotions.

Organizing in general.  She can't manage time and can't keep her room clean or finish any task to completion to save her life.

Executive function. She has trouble remembering and maintaining day-to-day activities, like taking BC pills every day at the same time, doing all phases of laundry from start to finish (wash, dry, fold, put away), managing money, managing study time and school assignments, remembering appointments, etc.

Her mood swings, especially rage that is directed at me.  I also find it difficult and frustrating to learn how she has misunderstood, made up, or twisted things I've said so that I am perpetually the bad guy, no matter what I do.  She is the master of the double-bind... . ":)amned if I do and Damned if I don't." "I need you.  Go away!"  

She has been diagnosed with AD/HD, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and BPD and/or Histrionic Personality Disorder.  When she isn't suffering from some new emotional trauma or hormone fluctuation, she has strange physical pains and symptoms that usually have an emotional cause. (Absance seizures with no neurological cause, paralysis & nerve impairment, again with no neurological cause, intense pain with no apparent cause, injuries with symptoms and pain that are not related, etc.)

Depression and low physical energy. I'm also peri-menopausal, which is some joke when dealing with my very moody BPD teenager!  

If so, what types?

We've all been in individual and family therapy since our daughter was about 8 years old.  We've worked with Transactional Analysis (TA), Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), Cognitive Behavior Therapy, and more.  My DH and I also participated in Lifespring (personal effectiveness workshop) before we were married.  It was very effective in setting the stage for faster therapy work.  

To learn better skills in dealing with my BPD daughter, to connect with other non-judging people who understand what I'm going through, and to be there with my empathetic ear for others.  

TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE

tristesse

Let your Beauty Unfold.

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 03:29:02 PM »

I am the biological mother of a daughter, 30 years old with BPD, ADD, PTSD depression and anxiety   

I have no knowledge of any other members on either her fathers side of the family or my own 

She is firecly loyal to friends, and when she is not in crisis she has very big heart 

She is crippled with fear over everything, she panics about sending her son to school, she is unable to work due to her anxiety, she is afraid to be alone

I have a hard time coping with the rages, I am the target 95 percent of the time, and although I know it's her BPD  and not her screaming the ugliness, I still have the hardest time with that and using skills I am just learning those.

diagnosed   

I become depressed and anxious when she is in crisis, otherwise I struggle in communicating correctly with her   

If so, what types?

she has just started DBT therapy and I have just discovered a NAMI group here locally

I am hoping to gain knowledge and support along with potentially helping somebody else 

TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE

Rockieplace

Relationship status: Married (40 years this year)

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 08:53:29 AM »

Parent to daughter

33 years old

Living at home?
No - thank goodness

Living on their own?
Yes, although has been mainly in psychiatric hospitals or just hospital for the past 8 months.  Is currently back at her home.

Nobody

Intelligent and articulate

Stopping self-harming and overdosing
Managing money
Addiction- mainly prescribed but others
No judgement regarding what constitutes appropriate relationships
Facing disciplinary actions from employer

Getting her appropriate treatment in the UK
Dealing with the threat of her harming herself
Sometimes dealing with her dishonesty

How would you categorize your child?
Diagnosed BPD
plus
Substance Abuse/addicitions/depression etc etc

Knowing what to do to help her. Not saying things that trigger her anger, either aimed at us or herself. Anxiety and grief. Enabling.Supporting my family while BPDs lives at home

Is anyone in therapy?
Daughter is awaiting (finally) start of therapies.  Keeps getting told that she needs a period of stability in order to get onto even the waiting list for them but can't sustain a period of stability because hasn't got the coping skills grrrrr.

Already been achieved in that I no longer feel so isolated with the above problems and have been reading up on all of the lessons etc which I am finding very helpful.

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Jnel921

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 05:52:40 PM »

Parent of a young adult daughter 19 recently diagnosed with BPD traits and abandonment issues 

My older sister may have had it but was never diagnosed. She left home at 16 and had many issues as she got older   

She can be kind and very social.   

In November we bought her a car, enrolled and paid for an Esthetician school and in the first week of school she left home and did not come back. So no car and no school. We spent many years dealing with her rollercoaster of emotions and bad behavior. It seemed like each year the situation got worse and worse. She was also smoking pot against our wishes and said she does this to help her cope with her emotions, which  believe gets worse with the drug use. She would hang out with bad crowds. We knew none of her friends and those that we did were almost all bad influences as she broke every rule known to parenting. She couldn't keep a job. There was always someone at work who had it in for her. She had a BF who cheated on her and she refused to let that relationship go although he made it clear that he was done with her. Since her 18th Birthday she has continued contacting him and allowing him to use her every now and then, even getting an STD from him. It was treatable however upsetting that she is doing this. She has also been in and out of other relationships.  Currently she is living with someone she just met who is controlling, manipulating and hitting her and she doesn't want to leave or feels she cant. She has called twice saying she wanted to come home and then changed her mind within the hour. She doesn't know what she wants but she is getting nothing with this guy. He has broken her phone, tossed her drivers license and has even broken her glasses and she is visually impaired. With all that being said and done to her she wont leave.   

I am being blamed for her behavior. She shuts me down if she feels I am getting annoying to her. Its frustrating. I cant explain my concern without a negative reaction or hearing the words "I know". It concerns me that there is a lack of insight and accountability for what is happening to her, her actions and consequences. She wont admit her own actions and how it affects everyone. Her reactions to everything is either hot or cold. Its like dealing with a firecracker. She often lies and tries to manipulate as well. Threatens to kill herself. Often says we are better off without her. She is very difficult to talk to gets very distracted

In her JHS years she was originally diagnosed with ODD, however in her older teens, she is 19 now she was diagnosed with BPD traits and having abandonment issues   

I have a lot of anxiety, worrying if she is safe. I have high blood pressure that I recently started taking pills for. I am in MC with my husband to help us cope with this and better understand how to deal with our D. I find that I am becoming unmotivated and this affects everything i need to do for myself. I want to be able to communicate better without a negative reaction from my D   

My H and I are in MC counseling to help cope with these issues. My daughter used to go but stopped last year

To help me better understand how to deal with my D. Convince her to come home and get the therapy she needs to get her life together 

TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE
mothrof3+2+2

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 01:47:45 PM »

I am the mother of a 15 year old daughter with BPD.  I also have an 18 year old son with traits of BPD and a 17 year old son with BPD

I do not know much about their family history because they are adopted.  We know their parents had mental health issues.

Compassion for people outside the home

trying to do anything about high school and relationship issues

The way she treats me and others in the family.  The fact that she wont do anything to help herself

She is not officially diagnosed. The therapist said they could not make it official until she is 18 but she exhibits 9/9 of the diagnostic criteria.

ANSWER HERE, but do not remove --->   Keeping my own emotions in check when she is attacking or raging or crashing

If so, what types? 

ANSWER HERE, but do not remove --->  I am in individual therapy.  She is also in individual therapy.

RE, but do not remove --->   
    ANSWER HERE, but do not remove --- I need support.  I just dont know what to do. 

TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE
SkellyII

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 10:09:26 PM »

Father of a 15 year old daughter, sole physical and legal custody.   

Her mother, possibly her older sister (from her mothers first marriage). Her mother was adopted, so no other info is available   

She is extremely intelligent, can be very personable, very talented, i.e. voice, various instruments, and without this condition could probably be anything she wanted to be. 

Her top challenge is school... .she struggles partly because she finds it hard but mostly because she doesn't do the homework. When things are really bad she struggles with taking responsibility for her actions. I feel she still feels it is everyone else who has a problem. If we just left her alone things would be great.  She also has some problems struggling with her mother's mental illness and alcoholism.

Her emotional immaturity.   

Diagnosed a year ago.   

I'm an older parent with no siblings, and her mother is worthless so I'm having to handle this by myself, with the help of some good friends. Dealing with this kind of thing can suck the life out of you sometimes.   

If so, what types?

Yes. She has a DBT weekly session, and both of us just finished the year-long group DBT sessions. Both have been beneficial for both of us. She just started an after-care DBT group for adolescents.

To exchange information, to see how other parents are handling things. One of the best things I got out of group was to meet and compare notes with the other parents   

TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE
DremNCWgrl

Relationship status: Married 7 years

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 05:44:21 PM »

Married mother of a 19 yo daughter with BPD, 1 older daughter, 4 stepchildren.   

Knowing what I know now, I believe my bio-mother has BPD.   

She is extremely loving.   

She's struggling trying to gain independence.   

I hate that I have to question everything she tells me.   

Diagnosed although I'm told her file has it worded to say BPD hasn't been ruled out. Which apparently is how they diagnose without diagnosing?   

Balancing boundaries with guilt.   

If so, what types?

I have been in individual therapy (and am starting again next week). My husband and I have done couples therapy, my daughter is in therapy, my youngest stepson is in therapy, and we've all done family sessions.   

To learn how to live this new life.   

TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE

DremnCwgrl
Only Human

Relationship status: divorced since the 90's

Love is still the answer

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 09:38:30 AM »

Mom to BPD daughter, 25 years old.   

No other known BPD family members. I'm adopted so have no family history.

She is creative, passionate, a loyal friend (for as long as the friendship lasts), and, even though it's a negative quality, she's a great manipulator.   

Emotional dysregulation, addiction to "screen time," expecting me to rescue her as I have done all her life but it's the thing I'm currently working hardest as changing.   

I struggle with validating her and not taking things personally. I get frustrated that she doesn't appear to be doing anything to help herself.   

Diagnosed.   

Depression, co-dependency, shame, guilt, self-hatred.   

If so, what types?

We are in family and individual therapy.   

To further educate myself, to get support so I'm not draining my best friend, to learn coping skills and how to better relate to my child.   

TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE

"It's our god forsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved."
-Jason Mraz, I'm Yours
wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 11:01:38 AM »

Mother to 27 year old daughter, single parent, only child, still living at home  

No one that I know of  

Creative, artistic and caring

Depression, mood swings, panic attacks, anxiety, bulimia, cutting, suicide attempt, empty, fear of abandonment, the overwhelming and unbearable pain that she wants to stop, right now.

Her pain. The uncertainty what tomorrow will bring.  We enjoy a respectful and loving relationship.  She rages against herself, internally.

Diagnosed July 15  

I'm naturally an optimistic person but for once in my life I'm struggling with keeping a positive outlook and that's because I'm scared for her and the future, it's been a really hard year

If so, what types?

Daughter has been attending a weekly 2 hour 'bridging support group' since beginning of December as there is a 1-2yr waiting list for DBT. She arranged CBT therapy for 5 months early this year, but gave it up as it did not provide her coping skills, it just opened her up and left her in crisis.

To learn and provide support to others. To regain an optimistic and confident outlook. To learn so I can provide  appropriate behaviours to better support my daughter.

TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Lollypop

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »

Married 32 years and going strong.

Parent? Step Parent? Grandparent?
Mother

25, son

Living at home? Living on their own?
Yes. We live in the UK. Has lived away three times - always fails

Nobody

Amazing Social skills and has the ability to connect to most people when he chooses. Makes friends easily.

Anxiety. Being independent, getting a job, managing money, dope. Self esteem.
Fear of life constraining job (growing up)
Managing money
Addiction (he loves drugs) but keeps to weed now
Too demanding in girlfriend relationships (he's intoxicated)

Lies. Refuses to take responsibility for himself. Mood swings, self pity.
Trying to get him to live independently and take responsibility for himself
Getting him into treatment in the UK

Diagnosed BPD
Anxiety, Substance Abuse
WEED, has experimented with lots of drugs for 7 years but now tries to limit it to marijuana.

Enabling, Anxiety.Fear of the future, his and ours. Can we see him homeless?
Low self esteem, over reliant on others, anxiety, irrational fears ranging from hot drinks to work (getting a job)

Is anyone in therapy? Child? Parent(s)?
BPDS Waiting for appointment in the UK

Somewhere to off load when I cant cope. Learn from others. To hear others experience to help me make better decisions. To support us when/if we have to throw BPDs out. Share with others my own experience

I did my best. He told me I wasn’t good enough. White
jones54

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 12:16:50 PM »

Divorced Father of 33yo daughter with BPD

No one else I know of

She actually is a prolific and creative writer. Has a degree in English along with one year of Grad School. Also loves animals.

Staying sober and the ability to take care of herself. Also difficulty with all relationships.

She plays the victim and is very angry with her parents. Presently wants nothing to do with us. Does not understand reason we have finally pulled back (heroin use and to finally learn to take care of herself).Has sent many hate texts in the past. She also has come between myself and my fiancee.

I am not sure she was ever officially diagnosed by the many therapists she has had (they do not like to label people BPD) but she fits ALL the criteria in the DSM-IV diagnostic book

My want to have a good relationship with her while she constantly relapses or pushes us away. Fear that she will never move ahead in life and be independent. I have got depression now from all of this and never had it before (except during divorce years ago). Exhausted from the many years dealing with this. Codependency.

If so, what types?

Daughter has been in the past but now refuses (denies she has BPD). I have been seeing a therapist over the past year.

Being able to connect with others who are dealing with the same difficulties as I am. Being supported and getting advice.

TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE
DharmaGate

Relationship status: We are in daily contact

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 09:53:28 AM »

Mother of 35 year old daughter with undiagnosed traits of borderline personality disorder.

I have come to the sad realization, after years of observing us as a extended family most if not all of us have traits of a personality disorder, Borderline or Narrasistic traits primarily.  One aunt has obvious, full blown Borderline Personility disorder.  My grandma, mom and I have many traits of borderline Personility disorder.

Her love, her passion

Social pressure, she wants so badly to fit in, be like others, "normal" .  Self Hatred, she says if she goes to counsling she wants help with shame and guilt.

I often find myself feeling very un confident, unsure, powerless so the difficult feelings it brings up.  Afraid I will do or say something that could lead to self harm.

How would you categorize your child? Diagnosed? Undiagnosed? Undiagnosed

I have struggled my whole life being emotionally sensitive, seem to have been born that way, cried all the time first six months of my life, then wounded parents, that had never been parented.  Been in recovery from something most of my life, seriously since I was 21 and now 53.

If so, what types?

My 82 year old dad is currently in grief thearpy, I am trying to find a affordable, good fit counslor for myself again.

1.  When my anxiety, fear about my daughter goes up turn to you all on this board instead of her.
2.  Learn how to interact with her most skillfully
3.  Feel connected with people going through same, which automatically brings down so many symptoms
4.  Not interfere with her path unless she gives me permission she is 35 years old.
5. As much as possible listen to others on board with a open mind and heart, support others.
6. Utilize the tools here.

Thank you!

TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do."  Eleanor Roosevelt
powerup123

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 05:25:01 AM »

I’m the mother of a 22 year old son recently diagnosed with BPD during a six month hospital admission. He was discharged 6 weeks ago and is living at home with his father and I. He has a younger brother away at college who he has a good relationship with.

Nobody that I know of

He has a great sense of humour, is very hard working and determined. He is also very intelligent and has been a high achiever prior to his illness.

He suffers from social anxiety, self harms and has been battling depression for the last few years. He pushes everyone away and has no friends but I know he feels lonely.

Fear that he will be successful in a suicide attempt, the damage he does to himself self-harming. The unpredictability of his illness, he can have two good days followed by an awful day with no apparent trigger (that we can identify). He doesn’t like to talk to us about any aspects of his illness or treatment.

Diagnosed with BPD, we think he also has avoidant personality disorder and a possible eating disorder

Anxiety about my son both in the short term and long term

If so, what types?

Since being discharged from hospital my son is under the care of a community team. He is currently seeking counselling and sees a support worker each week.

To gain more understanding of BPD, improving communication with my son and finding out how best we can help him.
Whatishappening?
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2019, 04:41:52 PM »

My daughter 16 we suspect has BPD. We are just now starting to explore.

MY biological mother.

She cares about others. She is very musical.

Relationships and schoolwork

Emotional ups and downs, self sabotage, doesn't want to work at anything.

undiagnosed as we are just beginning to get her some help.

triggers and getting sucked into the drama.

If so, what types?

yes me. general counseling

Get my daughter some help so that she can grow up and be happy and productive.

TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE
Tazzer4000

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2019, 05:10:50 PM »

Parent of Daugher, 16

My mother was, but she had no contact with my daugher. Genetics?

Her sense of humor and persistence.

Following rules, being respectful, controlling her emotions

Her badgering and rages

Diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder because she is too young to receive the personality disorder diagnosis, according to her psychiatrist.

PTSD, anxiety, enabling

If so, what types?

We are all in individual counseling, BPDD16 is in DBT, Will be starting family counseling in June.

To learn as much as I can about changing my behaviors so that I can do something to help her, the rest of the family, and reduce the chaos because I cannot change anyone but me.  I also want to help support others who are suffering and trying to make these important changes.

TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE

Fairy_Stepmother
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2019, 11:36:38 PM »

Stepmother of daughter just turning 17.

When her therapist discussed her signs of the disorder with us, she recommended 'Walking on Eggshells" book. Her dad chimed in, "Actually I'd already bought it during the divorce, to better understand her mother's behavior." A bit late, but the whole marriage made way more sense.

Her intelligence, her sense of justice, compassion for animals, her sense of humor and mischief, her artistic ability.

- According to her, constant pain and/or complete emptiness.
- Suicidal ideation(two attempts last year).  
- Investing all her worth in boyfriend, who she manipulates, idealizes, physically threatens.
- Recovery from past trauma- her mother's boyfriend molested her. He killed himself before the investigation could begin.
 Being unable to do a darn thing to help when she's deep inside her head and the world is black.
 Her not realizing how amazing and loved she is. That we aren't going to leave her or give up on her no matter how much she insists.
 Unofficially diagnosed because of her age. She does check most of the boxes, from what we've been reading.

Codependency, I'll be honest. Remembering to put my own oxygen mask on first in the airplane. Social anxiety disorder/avoidant personality disorder most of my life, but well managed now.

If so, what types?

I think her mom is. DH and I have been to parent and family sessions. I've been scheduling more regular therapy.

At a minimum, a safe place to vent a little and feel less alone. I'd love to attain some helpful tools and advice from a community with experience during this fun time as well.
Swimmy55
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2019, 12:01:14 PM »

Son 25 has BPD

I suspect his father ( my ex) had some BPD, although not to the extent our son does.  This was never officially  diagnosed with the ex.

Sense of humor , intelligence and he used to be a history buff.

He is out of control basically: he can't keep a job,
he has no impulse control and has been  dangerous to me.
 he just got kicked out of his cousin's house and is"moving in with friends" .  With no job.
He does drugs . Pot, alcohol, mushrooms . Maybe getting into other stuff  as well.

He has become violent with me to the point of criminal abuse and I had to get a restraining order.  
Realizing he is not in reality anymore even after the emergency psych hold . He actually bought alcohol 2 days after being released ( his credit card bill came to the house and I saw it).
Cutting him off financially step by step.  No more credit card payments from me,etc. He is starting to get traffic tickets , I am not paying those.  Except I still pay for  his separate car insurance- that is the last frontier for me.  I have to work up to that one

How would you categorize your child?
Diagnosed?Undiagnosed?

BPD and Substance Abuse Disorder- Diagnosed
 I Suspect a Mood disorder of some type -Undiagnosed.  

Cutting him off financially
Chronic sorrow for him
Grieving and wallowing.

If so, what types?

I am in therapy  I don't know what type it is though .  I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder myself and am on medication  

Learn how to cope
Learn self care and educate myself more about BPD
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 12:08:41 PM by Swimmy55 » Logged

DriftlessRider

Relationship status: Married 25 years.

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2019, 05:46:02 PM »

My 21 year old daughter has BPD. I am married 25 years, and that is going well.

No one.

Extremely smart and verbal. Sweet and empathetic. She treats others quite well. And she is invested in her own mental healthcare.

She's diagnosed with BPD, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder and persistent depressive disorder and autism. He's self-harmed (cutting) since pre-adolescence, and as recently as this winter I've picked her up at the ER after she received stitches for cutting. She self-committed herself three times for suicidal ideation.

Her condition has prevented her from holding a job or staying connected to college.

She is also hyper-empathetic, and even minor issue's in a friends life cause her to spiral and enter into a panic attack. Apparently, this is common in female autistic children. So, her social network is quite small.

She says her biggest problem is the depression. Wife and I fear suicide.

I read that most BPD suffers are difficult to get along with, can can be manipulative and abusive to family members. We do not have this situation, she is actually nice to have around.

She is a financial and time sink. She does not drive. We pay for her to have an apartment where she lives about 75% of the time, and the rest with us. She has two service dogs in training, so we drive her a lot to training sessions 45 minutes away. We pay for her groceries, Lyft, etc.

She is diagnosed, and is committed to her own care. I actually worry that her disease has become part of her self-identity, and might make it hard for her to "get better". But really the disease is probably going to be managed more than cured.

Frustration and anxiety. The outward manifestation of her disease looks like laziness. She sits and looks at her computer a lot. I struggle with the urge to yell "get a job" at her, get off your butt. And I am anxious because I don't know what to do to move this forward faster.

And fear of the future, sometimes I get waves of panic when I think too much of what the future holds for her.

And fear of the next episode. Too often things have felt like they were going well, and we get a surprise call that she has committed herself, or needs to be picked up at the ER. It's scary.

If so, what types?

Daughter sees a therapist and a psychologist weekly. Wife and I do not, although we've been attending support group meetings.

To learn from others, and hopefully to find a way to help others.

TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE

Done.
2dogs2kids
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2019, 11:38:40 AM »

I’m mom to a 20 year daughter with depression, anxiety, OCD, and recently diagnosed BPD.  She has been struggling for 6 years.  She lives on her own in a city 3 hours away. She has a roommate who is a godsend.   We pay her rent, because we would rather do that than have her at home.

No one that I know of.

She is smart and funny, and willing to work on herself.

Inability to stick with school, jobs, friends.  Also self harming/OCD behaviors (chewing her cheeks, scalp picking).

The daily phone calls, describing her litany of physical and psychological complaints.  Exhausting. 

Diagnosed

Letting go, detachment

If so, what types?

My daughter is in regular weekly therapy and monthly psychiatric. She was just diagnosed with BPD at an IOP and kicked out (!). I am seeing a DBT therapist and just started on anti-depressants.

Feeling less alone.  Help with knowing what I can and can’t do to help her.

TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE
Margarete

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2019, 05:46:16 PM »

b]What type of relationship are you in?[/b]
 None, Widow

No idea

Persistence

Relationships, Feeling of overwhelmed, Depression

Emotional outbursts that can escalate to self-harm and being blamed for causing them.

Diagnosed

Guilt, Grief, Fear

If so, what types?

DD in DBT , myself in Therapy

Independence and healthy relationships

TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE
Tazzer4000

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2020, 09:40:27 PM »

Mother of a 16 year old daughter w/BPD.

My sister, my mother, my grandmother

She is persistent, intelligent,  and talented.

Controlling her anger and her impulsive behavior.

The rages and lying.

Diagnosed

Remaining calm and unmoved by her drama and rages

If so, what types?

I have seen a psychotherapist most of my adult life. She has seen several therapists over the years. Right now she is in DBT. We are also in family counseling.

Escapade1
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 11:10:16 AM »

Parent in law
 What is the age of child/teen/adult? 23 years. Married to and living with my son and their 3 year old daughter.

Who else (if anyone), in child's family, has BPD? Father for sure cluster B but he’s more narcissistic.  Unsure of any others.

What is your child's strongest quality? instinct

What are the top challenges your child is facing? controlling her anger

What do you find most difficult in dealing with your child? She won’t allow my son to interact with me and won’t let me have any contact with their daughter.  If he tries to assert independence she threatens and/or leaves and threatens to take their daughter away from him.

How would you categorize your child? Undiagnosed
BPD, Depressed, Substance Abuse, Self-Harming, Violent, Risk Taking

Low Self Esteem, Enabling

Is anyone in therapy? At last contact my son and granddaughter had continued therapy.  His therapist suggested he consider if his wife has BPD.  His wife had completed court ordered therapy for an assault and child abuse conviction and declined to continue.

What are your goals at bpdfamily.com? Educate myself about how I can help my son see what he is putting himself and his daughter through.  Gain perspective about how to help my granddaughter if I get the chance to see her again.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest