Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 09:28:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD and sense of humor?  (Read 1377 times)
raisins3142

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: February 11, 2015, 12:40:56 AM »

I haven't noticed anyone stating that their expwBPD was especially funny.

Mine would laugh sometimes at jokes (too much so when being fake), but I cannot remember a single time that she actually made a joke that was truly funny and made me laugh.

I think being comical requires understanding others on some level, so that you get what is funny.  And maybe this is why my ex was way below average in actually generating comedic things.

Anyone else relate to this?
JRT

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 01:01:05 AM »

Mine had no sense of humor at all... .she would smile or laugh at some things, but it was very rare. At the same time, I would not describe her entirely as humorless. At the end of the day, I think that she developed whatever persona she needed in order to not tip her hat to what was going on inside (she was a waif) and conceal the deep and broad inner turmoil that dominated her thoughts.
Matt8888

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 02:19:21 AM »

I've been with 2 BPD'rs, and neither one could take a joke.  They were so similar, it was scary.  The last one I was with could go weeks without cracking a smile.  Hated comedies on tv or film.  No sense of humor at all.
cloudten

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 03:46:34 PM »

Wow - fascinating.

Mine thought he was HILARIOUS. He wanted his own tv show on comedy central.

He was n.e.v.e.r. NEVER funny. Ever. and if he did say something remotely funny... .it was stolen content from someone famous.

I think I only ever saw him smile one genuine smile in a more private moment. All of his photographs are half-a$$ smiles or forced/fake smiles. Never a genuine toothy smile.
kc sunshine

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 03:53:01 PM »

Mine was was very funny and good-natured when she was in a good mood-- we could even laugh at our fights.

When she was in a bad mood, she was very very very serious.

christin5433

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 04:35:08 PM »

Funny I think I mostly laughed at my own jokes she always looked far from earth or on her phone . Mine was at times laughing w me and the kids which was so good cause we'd all notice it. I actually noticed shed have fun gossiping w friends usually at someone's expense of bad behavior or trash talk over cheating or just nonsense talk . I usually would find it kind of immature laughter . Idk that's what I remember

downwhim

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 04:48:12 PM »

Mine was not funny and hardly smiled. The wedding pictures of him at my son's wedding were terrible. Looking away from camera, not smiling. Not really there I guess.
Targeted
Formerly CaresAboutSomeoneLikeThis

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 06:37:18 PM »

Only during idealisation phase,  After that all humor was used against me to prove me to be a delinquent!
vbor

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 06:59:27 PM »

Looking back... .I can be very sarcastic with my humor. Whenever I said something sarcastic towards here she got highly offended and quiet. My tone was never serious and I always had a smile when saying such things. But that sarcasm... .got me in a hole that took a LONG time to dig myself out of. I eventually restrained myself after learning she couldn't interpret it as joking. It baffled me at the time... .but now I understand why.
christin5433

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 08:00:22 PM »

Looking back... .I can be very sarcastic with my humor. Whenever I said something sarcastic towards here she got highly offended and quiet. My tone was never serious and I always had a smile when saying such things. But that sarcasm... .got me in a hole that took a LONG time to dig myself out of. I eventually restrained myself after learning she couldn't interpret it as joking. It baffled me at the time... .but now I understand why.

I too remember her finding me offensive . I think those little things like humor being a issue was baffling? I guess I been thinking today we just weren't a good match. I def am starting to see that

Deeno02

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 07:06:53 AM »

No, not really. She would just look at me like I had Lobster claws growing out of my head after one of my puns or goofy sayings. Perhaps a smirk, but not much else. Her kids would be busting up, but her? Not so much.
Confused#2

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 10:39:42 AM »

This is interesting. With my uBPDmother I really do not remember if she had a sense of humor. But my uBPDsis can be amazingly funny at times. I can remember almost peeing my pants when she described something because she was soo funny, I would describe her as a waif/hermit. My uBPDmother was a waif/hermit/queen/witch. Probably less the queen and witch as she lost control of her children. Can not be a queen without a kingdom!

SummerStorm

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 09:02:09 PM »

I can remember one distinct time when I saw her really laugh.  Everything else was smirks and very reserved laughing.  More than anything, she was just sarcastic and very negative.  She plays the victim very well.  Everything on her FB is stuff like, "Fell and hurt my foot today," "Pray that I find a place to live soon," "Just had to get four new tires on my car, and it's pouring out.  So done with today." 

She used to tell me that I was always grumpy, and I was, but that's because being around her brought me down.  There was honestly some major catastrophe in her life at least once a week.  And in between catastrophes, she was just complaining about stupid things.

I completely lost it at work today when a student made a joke and busted up laughing in front of 23 teenagers.  It felt so different because I hadn't done that in months.

So when will this end it goes on and on/Over and over and over again/Keep spinning around I know that it won't stop/Till I step down from this for good - Lifehouse "Sick Cycle Carousel"
ReclaimingMyLife

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 10:37:23 PM »

My ex was very,  very funny.   He was super smart with an outstanding vocabulary so was very witty.   Without his sense of humor he would never have lasted.   And he still only lasted 8 months,  but his humor took him a very long (too long)  way.   

I miss that part of him!
LostGhost

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 04:53:19 PM »

I actually loved her sense of humour. She was very quirky, witty and comical in a unique way. It's one of the major qualities that attracted me to her.
Creativum

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 07:53:31 PM »

I actually loved her sense of humour. She was very quirky, witty and comical in a unique way. It's one of the major qualities that attracted me to her.

See, I thought this about mine, too, until I realized that he was more or less mirroring me.  He'd often throw in things he'd picked up from others -- phrases, exclamations, mannerisms, jokes, etc. -- but I noticed that these things were not stable in him.  His sense of humor sort of disappeared after he had run out of other people's material.  Otherwise, his sense of humor (his natural sense of humor) was juvenile and just not that funny.  I guess it reflected his actual developmental age.

MakingMyWay

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »

My waif ex laughed at my jokes a lot, there were times where she cried because of laughter, but only if they were directed at somebody else or towards myself. Other times she would just give a fake smile.

She also found other people getting hurt very funny. There was one time I remember clearly where I was cleaning the floor and slipped and she was crying laughing while I was in pain. Another time she was wearing a spiked headband and accidentally stabbed me with it. I was bleeding pretty bad but she found it hilarious, even after I explained to her that I was in a lot of pain. She offended a lot people by laughing at them when they got hurt.

If I made a joke about her though, however minor I would be given the silent treatment. If I had laughed at her getting hurt I would have been scolded for it. She was funny at times but never intentionally. She would describe stuff in funny ways, but it wasn't because it would be funny, she just had a strange view of the world.
RedDove

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 11:17:54 AM »

My ex was also lacking in the humor department. We'd be watching a comedy show or movie and I'd be cracking up and he'd just look at me like, hmm... .I don't get it. He would tell stories more than jokes. Expected everyone to be enraptured by him. If you weren't giving him your undivided attention he'd be like, hey, I'm telling a story here, listen to ME! His stories were not funny though, it was usually saying mean or cruel things about someone he knew.

For example, he told a story about his best friend (John) dating a woman who had lapband surgery. Only the woman never told the best friend John. Im sure she was very self conscious, embarassed, and scared. So John didn't find out until they slept together the first time. My ex said, "so he undresses her and there are these extra flaps of skin everywhere like a sharp pei dog... .Lol! Disgusting, right? Well John was so repulsed he couldn't get it up! Lol!" My ex then laughed hysterically whilst I looked on mortified and baffled by his lack of empathy for his friend John and the woman.

I just recently found out through my exBPDbf's best friend John that my ex was actually doing stand up comedy for awhile! I was like What the heckrack? Guess what his topic was? Yup, you guessed it, sex! Apparently he didn't get a single laugh! He changed it to bad dating stories the next time. The OW he's living with was in the audience and became very offended by his past dating stories. He's so insensitive and clueless!

He would never go out to see a band with me at a local venue. Always said he didn't like crowds and loudness. I even invited him to a comedy show and he said he wasn't interested! It's just so crazy, the stuff I'm finding out from the best friend. I'm sitting there listening to the stories thinking to myself, who was my ex? Clearly a chameleon who changes his personality to mirror the current supply/victim!
MSNYC

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 11:42:12 AM »

Mine was hilarious. This post just shows that folks w BPD aren't some textbook cookie cutter, but have the range of human traits just like the rest of us.
SummerStorm

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 12:55:35 PM »

I think it's important to also consider whether or not the pwBPD has some co-morbid illnesses that affect his/her ability to really let go and be funny.  My former friend BPD also suffers from depression and anxiety, so she spends so much time in her own head that it's very difficult for her to laugh a lot. 

So when will this end it goes on and on/Over and over and over again/Keep spinning around I know that it won't stop/Till I step down from this for good - Lifehouse "Sick Cycle Carousel"
MakingMyWay

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 04:38:16 PM »

I think it's important to also consider whether or not the pwBPD has some co-morbid illnesses that affect his/her ability to really let go and be funny.  My former friend BPD also suffers from depression and anxiety, so she spends so much time in her own head that it's very difficult for her to laugh a lot. 

I agree. I think the co-morbid illness is more related to sense of humour. My ex had depression and when she was going through a rough patch she became less willing to laugh.
Climbmountains91

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 07:38:35 PM »

I will say my EXBPDBF sense of humor is immature but that's what i fell for, he does make me laugh so much, he comes out with the wittiest things to the point i think, why couldn't i think as quick and witty like that. He really couldn't take my sense of humor though, he'd always take it so seriously, couldn't take a joke, that kinda annoyed me. Sometimes we were the same and we clashed but then sometimes we were strangers.
Michelle27

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 07:50:44 PM »

Early on I thought my ex was funny, but with all the mirroring and effort he put in then (as well as my own issues), I can see how I may have thought he was hilarious.

His humor, though was immature and if he got a laugh once, he would think the same thing would be just as funny for the next 100 plus times he would say the same thing.  That got old... .

I also think the things he did say that made people laugh were stolen.  Towards the end of the relationship, I realized he would troll joke websites to find funny statuses for his FB.  I thought that was odd.
Creativum

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 08:13:26 PM »

Early on I thought my ex was funny, but with all the mirroring and effort he put in then (as well as my own issues), I can see how I may have thought he was hilarious.

His humor, though was immature and if he got a laugh once, he would think the same thing would be just as funny for the next 100 plus times he would say the same thing.  That got old... .

I also think the things he did say that made people laugh were stolen.  Towards the end of the relationship, I realized he would troll joke websites to find funny statuses for his FB.  I thought that was odd.

Yup! YUP!  My ex would take things from others and adopt/adapt them.  From quirky sayings, phrases, and isms, to his interest in particular films that he just HAD to show new people, even though he'd seen them a million times.  Just to show he had a sense of humor.  It's so bad that he once met a friend of mine ONE TIME for less than an hour and immediately started saying a couple of things like my friend.

Their sense of humor is mirrored.  We love it because they're mirroring it to us, with a few sprinkles on top from things they've acquired from others.

abhi2940

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2015, 11:11:42 PM »

Mine had a sporadic sense of humour. But how much was real and how much she faked I seriously doubt now.
fred2016

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 08:40:40 AM »

Mine had such a poor sense of humour and was generally so miserable I nicknamed her "smiler"
Pretty Woman

The Greatest Love is the Love You Give Yourself

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 08:56:13 AM »

I write comedy and can be very sarcastic. This did not go over well with my ex who truly saw things in black and white. There was no in between and definitely no allowance for your interpretation of respect of your interpretation.

My ex wasn't funny. She didn't have any fun stories of interests. All she talked about were her failed relationships and how badly others had treated her.

Now I'm on that list.

JaxWest

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 01:18:26 PM »

I too remember her finding me offensive . I think those little things like humor being a issue was baffling? I guess I been thinking today we just weren't a good match. I def am starting to see that

First one was actually pretty humorous. Which was part of the allure. Although, behind the scenes she would make perverted jokes, but when people were around, she acted like she didn't those sort of jokes.

Second one (possible BPD) was very serious a lot of times. Like, she did not get my jokes or others. At first, I thought she may have a form of Aspergers, because of the blank stare and a few other traits. But, she opened up with her friends and could joke.
AustenJ

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 02:03:37 PM »

My ex had a great sense of humor! She could even poke fun at her own craziness... .I bought her socks one time that said, "Cute, but psycho... .but cute." She loved them. We loved poking fun at our students, at each other... .really one of the best things I loved about her!
marti644

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 01:45:01 AM »

I don't think humour has anything to do with BPD. My ex was hilarious, she made me laugh alot. BPDs aren't cooking cutter. They are people too, with their own other traits. They aren't the sum of their illness, we should remember that. They are just disordered. There are real attributes to all of them, otherwise they wouldn't be able to function as well as they do, correct?

If we paint them black how are we any different then them?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest